|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the coal companies take Ermel's land?
(a) There is no coal on it.
(b) He doesn't own a very big piece of land.
(c) He has information which he uses to blackmail the company's owner.
(d) He is married to the company's president's daughter.
2. What does Aunt Becka tell Carrie about the animals in the barn and Christmas?
(a) The animals don't pay any attention to Christmas.
(b) The animals pay homage to Jesus.
(c) Her Aunt Becka never said anything about animals and Christmas.
(d) The animals get sleepy on Christmas Eve.
3. What does Rondal say about C.J. and Booker in relation to miners?
(a) Miners consider them outsiders.
(b) Miners don't believe in socialism.
(c) Miners think they are too rich to care.
(d) Miners are against their partnership.
4. What do the railroad companies claim about the answer in question #3?
(a) They have more rights then private citizens.
(b) They need the laborers to lay track.
(c) They can put their tracks wherever they need them.
(d) The have legal ownership.
5. How long does it take the men to put out another issue of the Annadel Free Press following the event of question # 76?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does C.J. have of his own?
2. Why is Dillon making a banjo?
3. What news does C.J. hear that makes him concerned for Rondal?
4. What happens to C.J.'s grandfather?
5. For what does Rondal's mother want him in relation to Kerwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carrie say she first remembers about Ben Honaker and her sister?
2. What does Rondal do on his first day in the mines and how does he feel at the end of the day?
3. What is the medical situation for black coal miners, how does Dr. Booker get medicine for a cholera epidemic and what does Booker show C.J. about black coal miners?
4. What does Miles tell his father is a good way to make money, what is his father's response and why did Miles end up feeling guilty about the whole idea?
5. Why does Carrie learn to hunt, what does Miles' father want him to do after high school and what does he do?
6. What is C.J. thinking about babies and what does he remember about a discussion he had with Dillon? What is Dillon making and why?
7. What happens to Johnson and why does Rondal leave town?
8. How do the club members get out of jail?
9. Who is unhappy about Flora's wedding, why is she, what does she tell Flora and what is Carrie's response to that to Flora?
10. What does Carrie figure out about a typhoid outbreak and what do the mining companies tell her when she tries to do something about it?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)