|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does C.J. praise Isom?
(a) Likes everyone regardless of race or wealth.
(b) Taking care of his mother.
(c) Being very intelligent.
(d) Knowing how to control a rowdy horse.
2. To where does Carrie invite Lloyd to dinner?
(a) To a restaurant in town.
(b) To her sister's hosue.
(c) To Miles' house.
(d) To her house.
3. What does Carrie notice during an outbreak of typhoid?
(a) The well in the town has been contaminated.
(b) The cause is how the coal shacks are built.
(c) There is no medicine for the miners.
(d) The miners go to work when sick and spread the disease.
4. With whom does Rondal have a casual affair?
(a) Carrie Bishop.
(b) Doris Lightner.
(c) Candy Ross.
(d) Ruby Day.
5. Why does C.J. not think highly of Isom?
(a) He thinks Isom is stealing from him.
(b) He thinks Isom is incompetent.
(c) He believes Isom lacks ambition.
(d) He believes Isom is cruel.
6. What is Rondal's mother's goal for Kerwin?
(a) That he become a mining engineer.
(b) She has no goal for him.
(c) To keep him out of the mines.
(d) That he wait until he is eighteen before working in the mines.
7. For whom does Clabe go to work?
(a) He works in the general feed store.
(b) For the farmer next door.
(c) He works in the gas station.
(d) The coal mine company.
8. What do the railroad companies claim about the answer in question #3?
(a) The have legal ownership.
(b) They need the laborers to lay track.
(c) They can put their tracks wherever they need them.
(d) They have more rights then private citizens.
9. What does Carrie do about her observation from question #63?
(a) Writes to the drug companies for medicine.
(b) Tells Miles.
(c) Goes to the government.
(d) Has a new well dug.
10. What is C.J.'s relationship with his grandfather like?
(c) Very close.
(d) Distant he lives in another state.
11. What has the company done with Clabe's family cemetery?
(a) Dug it up and moved it.
(b) Bulldozed over it and buried it.
(c) Posted no tresspassing signs.
12. What does Rondal say about C.J. and Booker in relation to miners?
(a) Miners are against their partnership.
(b) Miners consider them outsiders.
(c) Miners think they are too rich to care.
(d) Miners don't believe in socialism.
13. How does Rondal do in his school work?
(a) He does very well.
(b) He is inconsistent in his studies.
(c) He is about average.
(d) He does poorly.
14. Of what activities is Isom fond?
(a) Racing horses and hunting.
(b) Drinking and gambling.
(c) Reading and astronomy.
(d) Chasing women and playing cribbage.
15. What do the Annadel Political and Social Club members sing when they are in jail?
(a) The Old Gray Goose.
(b) John Brown's Body.
(c) The Star Spangled Banner.
(d) When Johnny Comes Marching Home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gun thugs do with Johnson?
2. What does Carrie ask Mike to teach her?
3. Why does Lloyd Justice come to the clinic?
4. What does Carrie call her grandmother?
5. How does Ermel's keeping his land affect his fortunes?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)