|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the railroad companies claim about the answer in question #3?
(a) They have more rights then private citizens.
(b) They can put their tracks wherever they need them.
(c) They need the laborers to lay track.
(d) The have legal ownership.
2. Why did Rosa cry as a child?
(a) When her brother left for war.
(b) For a butterfly she accidentally harmed.
(c) When she broke her arm.
(d) Because her mother died.
3. What does Miles want to do when he finishes high school?
(a) Move to the city.
(b) Begin farming.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Work in the coal mines.
4. What does Aunt Becka tell Carrie about the animals in the barn and Christmas?
(a) The animals get sleepy on Christmas Eve.
(b) Her Aunt Becka never said anything about animals and Christmas.
(c) The animals don't pay any attention to Christmas.
(d) The animals pay homage to Jesus.
5. What does Carrie do after Lloyd leaves town?
(a) Follows Lloyd.
(b) Quits working for the coal miners and opens a free clinic.
(d) Leaves town also and goes to Homeplace.
6. Where does Rondal go with C.J. when he visits?
(b) No where.
7. What does Lloyd tell Carrie about wealthy people?
(a) They never help the poor.
(b) He tells her he was wealthy once.
(c) They say education and progress are the key to a good lfie for miners.
(d) They are stealing in order to become rich.
8. What do Carrie and Lloyd do after they go to dinner?
(a) Go to bed together.
(b) Get in an argument.
(c) Go to the clinic and work.
(d) Talk all night.
9. What do Dr. Booker and C.J. decide to start up together?
(a) A free clinic.
(b) A socialist newspaper.
(c) A home for single mothers.
(d) A union hall.
10. Why do Talcott and Pricie elope?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) They don't want to spend the money on a wedding.
(c) Her father won't let her marry.
(d) He gets more money as a married man.
11. What does Carrie do after nursing school?
(a) Works for the mine company.
(b) Moves to Charleston.
(c) Starts a home health service.
(d) Gets married.
12. What is Rondal's mother's goal for Kerwin?
(a) That he become a mining engineer.
(b) To keep him out of the mines.
(c) That he wait until he is eighteen before working in the mines.
(d) She has no goal for him.
13. How does C.J. feel about Rondal's activities with coal miners?
14. Who does the coal company doctor refuse to treat?
(d) Black people.
15. What does the Annadel Political and Social Club primarily do?
(a) Run the town.
(b) Organize unions.
(c) Drink and debate.
(d) Back a presidential candidate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do C.J. and his grandmother go to live?
2. What does Carrie ask Mike to teach her?
3. Why is Dillon making a banjo?
4. What happens to C.J.'s grandfather?
5. What did Dr. Booker ask C.J. to do during a cholera epidemic?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)