|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Greg Mortenson serve in the U.S. Army after high school?
2. Where did Greg Mortenson earn a bachelor's degree in liberal studies and an associate's degree in nursing?
3. When did the Iranian Revolution take place?
4. What is an international service-learning program sponsored by the Central Asia Institute that "helps educate American children about the world to show them they can make a difference one penny at a time"?
5. In the spring of 2005, Mortenson returned to Afghanistan to visit the newly finished school located in _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impact of the Newsweek article in Part 1: Chapter 6? Where was Mortenson taken?
2. How and when did the Taliban rise to power in Afghanistan? What laws did they enact?
3. What orphan did Mortenson meet in Part 1: Chapter 5? What impact did he have on the author?
4. What information did Sarfraz Khan give to Mortenson when they met in Part 1: Chapter 2 about the region?
5. What led to Sarfraz Khan's disfigurement? What skills did he possess?
6. How was the meeting between Sadhar Khan and Mortenson described in Part 1: Chapter 4?
7. When did Mortenson first enter Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 3? What scenes did he find?
8. Why did Mortenson travel to Badakshan in Part 1: Chapter 4?
9. How were Mortenson and Sarfraz Khan's travels described in Part 1: Chapter 5?
10. Where in Afghanistan did Mortenson travel in the beginning of Part 1: Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the economic situation in Afghanistan. How is wealth distributed among the people? What is the principal export of the country?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the village of Zuudkhan and the Charpurson Valley. What natural resources are available to the people? What are the demographics and economy like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the current relationship between the United States and Afghanistan. How has the War on Terror evolved during your lifetime? How do you feel its impact is felt overseas?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)