|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the approximate population of Faizabad?
2. What refers to an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions to cover their bodies in public places?
3. Sarfraz was pathological about avoiding letting anyone know what in Part 1: Chapter 5?
4. Along what dangerous road through the Khyber Pass did Greg Mortenson first enter Afghanistan?
5. What minister of finance told Mortenson of Afghanistan's overwhelming need for money and the lack of funds received as promised from the American government in Part 1: Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles did CAI face in building within Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 5?
2. What events inspired the formation of CAI?
3. Who are the Kirghiz people? Where do they live?
4. When did Mortenson first enter Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 3? What scenes did he find?
5. What did Mortenson learn from the children he passed traveling to Faizabad in Part 1: Chapter 6?
6. Where did Sarfraz Khan take Mortenson in Part 1: Chapter 2? Whom did they meet there?
7. Why did Mortenson not refuse the nearly impossible task of building a school in the Wakhan Corridor?
8. What did Mortenson learn from the minister of finance in Part 1: Chapter 3?
9. How and when did the Taliban rise to power in Afghanistan? What laws did they enact?
10. What information did Sarfraz Khan give to Mortenson when they met in Part 1: Chapter 2 about the region?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the origins and history of the Taliban. When did the Taliban gain political control of Afghanistan? Who is the religious leader of the Taliban?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the history of the opium trade in Afghanistan. Why did the opium trade grow following the outbreak of war in the country?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Ashraf Ghani and Mortenson's discoveries while on his first official trip in Afghanistan. Why did Dr. Ghani believe building schools in the city was far more important?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)