|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of around 367,000 square miles that overlaps the mountains of four countries of Southeast Asia (Burma, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand) is one of Asia's two main illicit opium-producing areas?
2. When did the Taliban rise to power by defeating their mujahadeen rivals and seizing control of Kandahar, spreading east?
3. What Bantu language did Greg Mortenson learn fluently as a child?
4. In 2007, what percent of the opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan?
5. Along what dangerous road through the Khyber Pass did Greg Mortenson first enter Afghanistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mortenson learn from the minister of finance in Part 1: Chapter 3?
2. Who are the Kirghiz people? Where do they live?
3. What orphan did Mortenson meet in Part 1: Chapter 5? What impact did he have on the author?
4. How was Kabul described in Mortenson's Afghanistan visit in Part 1: Chapter 3?
5. When and where did Mortenson meet Sarfraz Khan?
6. How was the meeting between Sadhar Khan and Mortenson described in Part 1: Chapter 4?
7. How was Sandhar Khan's position on the opium trade described in Part 1: Chapter 5?
8. What information did Sarfraz Khan give to Mortenson when they met in Part 1: Chapter 2 about the region?
9. What does CAI specialize in? Why?
10. What other works has Greg Mortenson written? What charity did he help form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the origins and history of the Taliban. When did the Taliban gain political control of Afghanistan? Who is the religious leader of the Taliban?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the allegations made against CAI and their response to the Kashmir earthquake. Allegedly, how much has been misappropriated and how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the current relationship between the United States and Afghanistan. How has the War on Terror evolved during your lifetime? How do you feel its impact is felt overseas?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)