|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the spiritual leader of the Taliban movement that operates in Afghanistan?
2. What does the word "taliban" mean in Arabic?
3. What name refers to an Afghan freedom fighter?
4. When did Greg Mortenson attempt to climb K2, leading to events that would inspire CAI?
5. In addition to opiates, Afghanistan is also the largest producer of what drug in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Mortenson first enter Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 3? What scenes did he find?
2. What did Mortenson learn from the children he passed traveling to Faizabad in Part 1: Chapter 6?
3. What did Mortenson hire Sarfraz Khan as in Part 1: Chapter 4?
4. How did Sarfraz Khan prove to be an asset to Mortenson in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4?
5. How was Sandhar Khan's position on the opium trade described in Part 1: Chapter 5?
6. What obstacles did CAI face in building within Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 5?
7. What does CAI specialize in? Why?
8. What did Mortenson learn from the minister of finance in Part 1: Chapter 3?
9. How were Mortenson and Sarfraz Khan's travels described in Part 1: Chapter 5?
10. Why did Mortenson travel to Badakshan in Part 1: Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and status of the Central Asia Institute, NGOs, and Pakistan. What areas does CAI specialize in?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Ashraf Ghani and Mortenson's discoveries while on his first official trip in Afghanistan. Why did Dr. Ghani believe building schools in the city was far more important?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons CAI was unable to contribute aid to the people of Pakistan after the Kashmir earthquake. What were the major relief charities from the U.S.?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)