|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Greg Mortenson's unique team of local employees was referred to as______________,
2. Whose support would Mortenson have to gain in Badakshan in Part 1: Chapter 4?
3. Who formed the The Central Asia Institute as an American non-profit organization along with Greg Mortenson?
4. What name refers to an Afghan freedom fighter?
5. Into what village was Greg Mortenson taken and nursed back to health following his attempt at K2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Kabul described in Mortenson's Afghanistan visit in Part 1: Chapter 3?
2. What obstacles for Mortenson are presented in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4?
3. What did Mortenson learn from the children he passed traveling to Faizabad in Part 1: Chapter 6?
4. How was the meeting between Sadhar Khan and Mortenson described in Part 1: Chapter 4?
5. How and when did the Taliban rise to power in Afghanistan? What laws did they enact?
6. What events inspired the formation of CAI?
7. When and where did Mortenson meet Sarfraz Khan?
8. Where did Sarfraz Khan take Mortenson in Part 1: Chapter 2? Whom did they meet there?
9. What orphan did Mortenson meet in Part 1: Chapter 5? What impact did he have on the author?
10. What was the impact of the Newsweek article in Part 1: Chapter 6? Where was Mortenson taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events surrounding September 11, 2001. When did the United States declare war with Afghanistan? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and work of Greg Mortenson. How is this book related to Three Cups of Tea?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the reasons for Sarfraz's precautions in travel. What dangers did Mortenson and Sarfraz face in the region and why?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)