|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what is the land of Du Chaillu's people turned?
2. What takes the color of whatever is around it?
3. Where have the servants of the Keeper that were at the Palace of the Prophets gone?
4. What does Kahlan know about a person's magic?
5. What is the name of the wizard with the Imperial Order Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Prelate tell Sister Verna?
2. What does Richard do when he enters Hagan woods and what does he demand when sisters come to find him?
3. Where are Zedd and Addie in Chapter 57, what has happened to them and what will help them recover?
4. What does Verna warn Richard about as far as Du Chaillu is concerned and how does Du Chaillu repond?
5. What does Richard end up doing in Du Chaillu's village, how does he feel about it and what is Du Chaillu's reponse?
6. Why do some of the soldiers bring a boy to Kahlan and what does she do? How does he respond?
7. Who does Kahlan find after being rescued and what does he say and do?
8. What happens to Richard, Warren, and Verna when he returns from the woods?
9. What does Richard do about the captive woman?
10. What does Kahlan do at the beginning of Chapter 38 concerning the Imperial Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sister Verna continues to talk to Richard of different prophecies with Richard telling her that he doesn't understand such riddles and seemingly doesn't believe in them. Yet, Richard begins to lean very heavily on the prophecies and believe in them more and more as the story continues.
1. Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in Stone of Tears.
2. Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
3. Do you think Richard knowing about the prophesies about him will help him? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 2
Kahlan made Richard go because she loves him and is scared that he will die. It takes Richard a long time to understand her love for him and the reason she asked him to leave.
1. Do you think Kahlan could have made her motivation clearer to Richard? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In many place in the book and in the other books in this series Richard and Kahlan have made a great deal out of not lying to each other. Explain why Kahlan lied to Richard about the collar. Do you think she was right to do that? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Richard throws away the lock of hair Kahlan gave him. Do you think he should have understood why she did what she did and said what she said? It seems it completely misunderstood her motives? Does that seem dense for someone who is supposed to be the Seeker of Truth? Why or why not? Also discuss how emotions might get in the way of being logical. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Stone of Tears and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty. Richard has these types of individuals around him also.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)