|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Verna the sister to collar Richard?
2. Who saves Richard from Darken Rahl?
3. What did Jebra say about Richard's character?
4. What should one do when faced with the type of creature attacking Zedd and Chase?
5. What does Nathan say about Margaret's vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
2. How is Richard to handle with the lessons and what does Verna say about bringing him to the Palace?
3. What is Sister Margret doing in Chapter 20 and what happens with her?
4. What does Richard see while in the Valley of the Lost, what happens to Verna, how does Richard deal with it and what is her reaction?
5. What does Kahlan and Chandalen figure out after they search her sister's castle to try and find her body?
6. Who is clutching a doll and trying to tell her father something in Chapter 1? What is she trying to get her father to do?
7. What happens to Zedd and Addie as they are trying to decide what to do?
8. Where does Kahlan go when she leaves the Mud People and what happens to her sister?
9. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
10. What does Shota tell Richard and Kahlan about the veil and what do they decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard has been unable to accept all the different parts of himself. It will be this refusal that keeps him trapped for much of the story. Richard is not unusual. All people have different parts and faces, in private and public.
1. Discuss the reasons you think Richard would have difficulty accepting the different parts of himself. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the different Richards you have seen in this novel and the differences and similarities between the different parts. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Disscuss the different faces and parts you have in your own life. For example, who you are at school, at home, at church, in a job. Include in your discussion the ways that you are able and unable to integrate those various faces you have and the similarities between them and Richard's different parts.
Essay Topic 2
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of destiny as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze the theme of courage as it occurs throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Sister Verna tells Richard that he is using his magic without realizing how he is using it and so he it is very dangerous. She demands to have his Sword of Truth which Richard always carries. He refuses but then decides that he will give it. Sister Verna tells him that by offering the sword he has earned the right to keep it.
1. Why do you think by Richard being willing to give up his sword Verna decided he had the right to keep it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain in detail, some of the problems Richard has caused with his magic and how the situation could have been prevented had he more knowledge of himself. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Knowing what is known of Richard from this book, why do you think he changed his mind about giving up his sword? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)