|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened long ago at the Valley of the Lost?
2. What does Richard and Gar do together?
3. Why does Richard wear the necklace he wears?
4. Why is Verna the sister to collar Richard?
5. What does Verna say will happen to her when they arrive at the Palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard see when trying to focus on the magic lesson Verna is giving him? What does he tell Verna about it?
2. Why has Zedd gone to see Addie? Why does she live where she lives?
3. Who arrives at the Mud People and what do they intend to do? How do the Mud People feel about the two people?
4. What does Kahlan and Chandalen figure out after they search her sister's castle to try and find her body?
5. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
6. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
7. Who is clutching a doll and trying to tell her father something in Chapter 1? What is she trying to get her father to do?
8. Where does Kahlan go when she leaves the Mud People and what happens to her sister?
9. What does Shota tell Richard about himself?
10. What is causing Zedd and Addie a problem, what does Zedd try to do about it and what happens when he does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader will see as the story continues that there are Sisters of the Dark that have taken over a large portion of the Sisters of the Light in secret. The Sisters of the Light work for goodness for the Creator and the Sisters of the Dark work to help the Keeper of the Underworld.
1. There seems to be a sharp delineation between good and evil and dark and light in Stone of Tears. In terms of real life do you think this is realistic? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the concept that no one is all good or all bad. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Choose two characters in Stone of Tears one who seems to be mostly good and one mostly evil and compare and contrast their personalities, behaviors and morals.
Essay Topic 2
In Stone of Tears, there seems to be more individuals and groups who are not trustworthy than are. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Stone of Tears.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Stone of Tears.
3. Who do you think Richard trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Stone of Tears, it appears that most of the true heroics is done by men. This type of stereotyping is changing and women are being given more active, heroic, and physical roles in fantasy novels.
1. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Kahlan.
2. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Sister Verna.
3. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Addie.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)