|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rachel doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What does Jedidiah do to Sister Margret?
3. What do Richard and Verna do at the Valley of the Lost at the beginning of Chapter 28?
4. Under what names do Zedd and Addie travel?
5. Where does Addie live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard announce once he is inside the palace?
2. How do some of the boys in the Galen army feel about Kahlan and what does she tell them?
3. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
4. What does Richard do about the captive woman?
5. What does Verna warn Richard about as far as Du Chaillu is concerned and how does Du Chaillu repond?
6. What does Verna point out to Richard on the way to the Palace and how does he feel about it?
7. Who has taken over the Midlands council?
8. What does Richard see while in the Valley of the Lost, what happens to Verna, how does Richard deal with it and what is her reaction?
9. What does the Prelate tell Sister Verna?
10. Where does the council put Kahlan and what does she do about it?
Essay Topic 1
In Stone of Tears, it appears that most of the true heroics is done by men. This type of stereotyping is changing and women are being given more active, heroic, and physical roles in fantasy novels.
1. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Kahlan.
2. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Sister Verna.
3. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Addie.
Essay Topic 2
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Stone of Tears is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about the sword of truth. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 3
The reader will see as the story continues that there are Sisters of the Dark that have taken over a large portion of the Sisters of the Light in secret. The Sisters of the Light work for goodness for the Creator and the Sisters of the Dark work to help the Keeper of the Underworld.
1. There seems to be a sharp delineation between good and evil and dark and light in Stone of Tears. In terms of real life do you think this is realistic? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the concept that no one is all good or all bad. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Choose two characters in Stone of Tears one who seems to be mostly good and one mostly evil and compare and contrast their personalities, behaviors and morals.
This section contains 3,152 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)