|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kahlan make Verna promise?
2. What does Verna say will happen to her when they arrive at the Palace?
3. What did Zedd plan to do with the creature?
4. How are Chase and Rachel feeling about where they are in Chapter 35?
5. What does a Sister tell two wizards in the basement of the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard see when trying to focus on the magic lesson Verna is giving him? What does he tell Verna about it?
2. What does Shota tell Richard about himself?
3. What do Zedd and Chase do about the screeling?
4. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
5. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
6. What happens to Zedd and Addie as they are trying to decide what to do?
7. What is Sister Margret doing in Chapter 20 and what happens with her?
8. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
9. Where does Kahlan go when she leaves the Mud People and what happens to her sister?
10. How is Richard to handle with the lessons and what does Verna say about bringing him to the Palace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sister Verna tells Richard that he is using his magic without realizing how he is using it and so he it is very dangerous. She demands to have his Sword of Truth which Richard always carries. He refuses but then decides that he will give it. Sister Verna tells him that by offering the sword he has earned the right to keep it.
1. Why do you think by Richard being willing to give up his sword Verna decided he had the right to keep it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain in detail, some of the problems Richard has caused with his magic and how the situation could have been prevented had he more knowledge of himself. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Knowing what is known of Richard from this book, why do you think he changed his mind about giving up his sword? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Richard is having a difficult time accepting his magic. Magic is a part of almost all fantasy books.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if he or she was able to use magic. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person do with magic? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If magic existed in the United States in the 21st. century what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
Essay Topic 3
Kahlan made Richard go because she loves him and is scared that he will die. It takes Richard a long time to understand her love for him and the reason she asked him to leave.
1. Do you think Kahlan could have made her motivation clearer to Richard? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In many place in the book and in the other books in this series Richard and Kahlan have made a great deal out of not lying to each other. Explain why Kahlan lied to Richard about the collar. Do you think she was right to do that? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Richard throws away the lock of hair Kahlan gave him. Do you think he should have understood why she did what she did and said what she said? It seems it completely misunderstood her motives? Does that seem dense for someone who is supposed to be the Seeker of Truth? Why or why not? Also discuss how emotions might get in the way of being logical. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)