|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Addie?
2. On what did Zedd put the stone he took out of his pocket?
3. What does Kahlan tell Chandalen they have to do?
4. What does Verna tell Richard about how she is feeling?
5. What happened long ago at the Valley of the Lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
2. Describe the Valley of the Lost and who may cross it.
3. What happens when Richard calls forth the ancient spirits?
4. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
5. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
6. What do the three women who accost Richard say and what happens when he interacts with them?
7. Why has Zedd gone to see Addie? Why does she live where she lives?
8. What happens to Zedd and Addie as they are trying to decide what to do?
9. What does Richard tell Kahlan about why he won't wear a collar?
10. What does Kahlan and Chandalen figure out after they search her sister's castle to try and find her body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the land of the Valley of the Lost and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richard's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Stone of Tears, including some of Richard's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in Stone of Tears and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Richard and his responses to them.
3. Although Richard seems to ignore the political situations in Stone of Tears he still gets embroiled in the politics. Is his disdain for political manipulation naive? Is he ignoring his duties by trying to ignore the politics in Stone of Tears?
Essay Topic 3
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Stone of Tears is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about the sword of truth. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)