|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard see in the Valley of the Lost?
2. What type of position does Kahlan have in the Midlands?
3. Why does the skirn attack Zedd and Addie?
4. What kind of vision does Richard see in Chapter 19?
5. How do Zedd and Addie get to a healer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
2. What do Zedd and Chase do about the screeling?
3. What does Shota tell Richard and Kahlan about the veil and what do they decide to do?
4. Who is clutching a doll and trying to tell her father something in Chapter 1? What is she trying to get her father to do?
5. What does Richard tell Kahlan about why he won't wear a collar?
6. Where does Kahlan go when she leaves the Mud People and what happens to her sister?
7. What is Sister Margret doing in Chapter 20 and what happens with her?
8. How is Richard to handle with the lessons and what does Verna say about bringing him to the Palace?
9. Who attacks Richard and Verna while they are traveling and what does Verna tell Richard?
10. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Stone of Tears, it appears that most of the true heroics is done by men. This type of stereotyping is changing and women are being given more active, heroic, and physical roles in fantasy novels.
1. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Kahlan.
2. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Sister Verna.
3. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Addie.
Essay Topic 2
Sister Verna continues to talk to Richard of different prophecies with Richard telling her that he doesn't understand such riddles and seemingly doesn't believe in them. Yet, Richard begins to lean very heavily on the prophecies and believe in them more and more as the story continues.
1. Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in Stone of Tears.
2. Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
3. Do you think Richard knowing about the prophesies about him will help him? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 3
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the land of the Valley of the Lost and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richard's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)