|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jebra say the Keeper has done with Richard?
2. What does Jedidiah do to Sister Margret?
3. What are the two types of people who have difficulty crossing the Valley of the Lost?
4. What does Shota tell Richard about his father?
5. From where did the creature who attacked Zedd and Chase come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard see while in the Valley of the Lost, what happens to Verna, how does Richard deal with it and what is her reaction?
2. Who attacks Richard and Verna while they are traveling and what does Verna tell Richard?
3. What does Shota tell Richard and Kahlan about the veil and what do they decide to do?
4. What happens to Zedd and Addie as they are trying to decide what to do?
5. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
6. Where are Chase and Rachel while Richard is crossing the valley?
7. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
8. What does Zedd take out of his pocket in Chapter 4 and what does he do with it?
9. In Chapter 5, what does Margret see and what does Nathan say about it?
10. What does Kahlan decide to do about the boys she's been following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kahlan made Richard go because she loves him and is scared that he will die. It takes Richard a long time to understand her love for him and the reason she asked him to leave.
1. Do you think Kahlan could have made her motivation clearer to Richard? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In many place in the book and in the other books in this series Richard and Kahlan have made a great deal out of not lying to each other. Explain why Kahlan lied to Richard about the collar. Do you think she was right to do that? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Richard throws away the lock of hair Kahlan gave him. Do you think he should have understood why she did what she did and said what she said? It seems it completely misunderstood her motives? Does that seem dense for someone who is supposed to be the Seeker of Truth? Why or why not? Also discuss how emotions might get in the way of being logical. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Richard is having a difficult time accepting his magic. Magic is a part of almost all fantasy books.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if he or she was able to use magic. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person do with magic? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If magic existed in the United States in the 21st. century what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
Essay Topic 3
Sister Verna tells Richard that he is using his magic without realizing how he is using it and so he it is very dangerous. She demands to have his Sword of Truth which Richard always carries. He refuses but then decides that he will give it. Sister Verna tells him that by offering the sword he has earned the right to keep it.
1. Why do you think by Richard being willing to give up his sword Verna decided he had the right to keep it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain in detail, some of the problems Richard has caused with his magic and how the situation could have been prevented had he more knowledge of himself. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Knowing what is known of Richard from this book, why do you think he changed his mind about giving up his sword? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)