Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard refer to himself to Verna?
2. Who attacks Richard in Chapter 24?
3. What is the name of the black creature who attacked Zedd and Chase?
4. What do two Sisters in the Palace of the Prophets decide about Pasha Maes?
5. What was the person who first put a collar on Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some of the soldiers bring a boy to Kahlan and what does she do? How does he respond?
2. What does Verna point out to Richard on the way to the Palace and how does he feel about it?
3. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
4. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
5. What does Sister Liliana tell Richard and what does Perry ask him?
6. Describe the encounter between Richard and Darken Rahl in the Garden of Life at the end of the book?
7. What does Kahlan do at the beginning of Chapter 38 concerning the Imperial Army?
8. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
9. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
10. How do some of the boys in the Galen army feel about Kahlan and what does she tell them?
Essay Topic 1
In Stone of Tears, it appears that most of the true heroics is done by men. This type of stereotyping is changing and women are being given more active, heroic, and physical roles in fantasy novels.
1. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Kahlan.
2. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Sister Verna.
3. Discuss in detail, with examples, the various heroic qualities that are seen in Addie.
Essay Topic 2
After Richard and Kahlan are separated she goes to the Galen army, trains them and leads them in battle against the Imperial Order Army.
1. Discuss the ways in which Kahlan behaves differently when she is away from Richard. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Richard is highly protective of Kahlan. Do you think some of his behaviors and ideas around her and about her could be considered sexist? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Discuss the ways in which Richard behaves differently when he is away from Kahlan. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Stone of Tears is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about the sword of truth. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)