|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has told Richard his headaches are from magic?
2. What does Verna tell Richard about his magic?
3. What happened long ago at the Valley of the Lost?
4. How does Verna find Richard to deal with?
5. Who was Sister Margaret following at the beginning of Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kahlan find when she follows the trail of the army that slaughtered so many?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Margret see and what does Nathan say about it?
3. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
4. What is Sister Margret doing in Chapter 20 and what happens with her?
5. What does Kahlan and Chandalen figure out after they search her sister's castle to try and find her body?
6. What happens when Richard calls forth the ancient spirits?
7. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
8. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
9. How is Richard to handle with the lessons and what does Verna say about bringing him to the Palace?
10. Who arrives at the Mud People and what do they intend to do? How do the Mud People feel about the two people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reader will see as the story continues that there are Sisters of the Dark that have taken over a large portion of the Sisters of the Light in secret. The Sisters of the Light work for goodness for the Creator and the Sisters of the Dark work to help the Keeper of the Underworld.
1. There seems to be a sharp delineation between good and evil and dark and light in Stone of Tears. In terms of real life do you think this is realistic? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the concept that no one is all good or all bad. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Choose two characters in Stone of Tears one who seems to be mostly good and one mostly evil and compare and contrast their personalities, behaviors and morals.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in Stone of Tears, including some of Richard's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in Stone of Tears and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Richard and his responses to them.
3. Although Richard seems to ignore the political situations in Stone of Tears he still gets embroiled in the politics. Is his disdain for political manipulation naive? Is he ignoring his duties by trying to ignore the politics in Stone of Tears?
Essay Topic 3
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the land of the Valley of the Lost and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richard's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)