Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard refer to himself to Verna?
2. Who attacks Richard in Chapter 24?
3. What is the name of the black creature who attacked Zedd and Chase?
4. What do two Sisters in the Palace of the Prophets decide about Pasha Maes?
5. What was the person who first put a collar on Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some of the soldiers bring a boy to Kahlan and what does she do? How does he respond?
2. What does Verna point out to Richard on the way to the Palace and how does he feel about it?
3. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
4. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
5. What does Sister Liliana tell Richard and what does Perry ask him?
6. Describe the encounter between Richard and Darken Rahl in the Garden of Life at the end of the book?
7. What does Kahlan do at the beginning of Chapter 38 concerning the Imperial Army?
8. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
9. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
10. How do some of the boys in the Galen army feel about Kahlan and what does she tell them?
Essay Topic 1
Sister Verna tells Richard that he is using his magic without realizing how he is using it and so he it is very dangerous. She demands to have his Sword of Truth which Richard always carries. He refuses but then decides that he will give it. Sister Verna tells him that by offering the sword he has earned the right to keep it.
1. Why do you think by Richard being willing to give up his sword Verna decided he had the right to keep it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain in detail, some of the problems Richard has caused with his magic and how the situation could have been prevented had he more knowledge of himself. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Knowing what is known of Richard from this book, why do you think he changed his mind about giving up his sword? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sister Verna continues to talk to Richard of different prophecies with Richard telling her that he doesn't understand such riddles and seemingly doesn't believe in them. Yet, Richard begins to lean very heavily on the prophecies and believe in them more and more as the story continues.
1. Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in Stone of Tears.
2. Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
3. Do you think Richard knowing about the prophesies about him will help him? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 3
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of destiny as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze the theme of courage as it occurs throughout the book.
This section contains 3,232 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)