|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the horse Zedd and Addie are riding doing about the skirn?
2. What is the only way to take the magic from a wizard?
3. What does Verna think Richard needs to learn?
4. Who does Shota say cannot help Richard in regards to the veil?
5. What kind of sickness does Addie have in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who attacks Richard and Verna while they are traveling and what does Verna tell Richard?
2. What does Zedd and Addie decide they must do about their problem?
3. What does Kahlan decide to do about the boys she's been following?
4. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
5. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
6. What does Zedd take out of his pocket in Chapter 4 and what does he do with it?
7. In Chapter 5, what does Margret see and what does Nathan say about it?
8. Who arrives at the Mud People and what do they intend to do? How do the Mud People feel about the two people?
9. What does Kahlan find when she follows the trail of the army that slaughtered so many?
10. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard is having a difficult time accepting his magic. Magic is a part of almost all fantasy books.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if he or she was able to use magic. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person do with magic? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If magic existed in the United States in the 21st. century what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
Essay Topic 2
Sister Verna continues to talk to Richard of different prophecies with Richard telling her that he doesn't understand such riddles and seemingly doesn't believe in them. Yet, Richard begins to lean very heavily on the prophecies and believe in them more and more as the story continues.
1. Trace and analyze the occurrences of prophesy in Stone of Tears.
2. Many fantasy novels include some "prophesy" in their storyline. Why do you think this is?
3. Do you think Richard knowing about the prophesies about him will help him? How could it hinder him?
Essay Topic 3
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Stone of Tears is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about the sword of truth. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)