|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of vision does Richard see in Chapter 19?
2. Who has told Richard his headaches are from magic?
3. What do two Sisters in the Palace of the Prophets decide about Pasha Maes?
4. How does Zedd try to help Addie?
5. What happens to Richard and Verna while they are traveling in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the two remaining sisters come to offer Richard a collar?
2. Where does Kahlan go when she leaves the Mud People and what happens to her sister?
3. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
4. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
5. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
6. Who does Kahlan meet in Aydindril, what does she ask and what does Kahlan tell her?
7. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
8. What does Richard announce once he is inside the palace?
9. What amazes Pasha about Richard in the woods and what does Richard do before they return to the palace?
10. Who does Kahlan find after being rescued and what does he say and do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kahlan made Richard go because she loves him and is scared that he will die. It takes Richard a long time to understand her love for him and the reason she asked him to leave.
1. Do you think Kahlan could have made her motivation clearer to Richard? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In many place in the book and in the other books in this series Richard and Kahlan have made a great deal out of not lying to each other. Explain why Kahlan lied to Richard about the collar. Do you think she was right to do that? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Richard throws away the lock of hair Kahlan gave him. Do you think he should have understood why she did what she did and said what she said? It seems it completely misunderstood her motives? Does that seem dense for someone who is supposed to be the Seeker of Truth? Why or why not? Also discuss how emotions might get in the way of being logical. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Stone of Tears is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about the sword of truth. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 3
Nathan tells Maragret to tell the Prelate that there is a pebble in the pond, although Maragret doesn't understand. The pebble in the pond is Richard, and the Prelate will explain to Richard that Richard causes waves that touch and move everything around them. The Prelate goes on to tell Richard that the trouble with being a pebble in the pond is that the pebble sinks.
1. What do you think a pebble in the pond might mean in terms of Midland's history? Use examples from Stone of Tears to support your answer. Also, give some examples of pebbles in the pond in the history of our world and why you think those examples are pebbles in a pond.
2. Do you think anyone can be a pebble in a pond? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
3. Discuss the various ponds that exist in society, e.g. a town, a state, a country. Include in your discussion how a small "pond" might affect larger ones.
This section contains 3,166 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)