|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the horse Zedd and Addie are riding doing about the skirn?
2. What does Darken Rahl tell Richard he can do?
3. What did Zedd do to the stone he took out of his pocket?
4. What were the people Zedd and Chase encounter doing?
5. Why is Verna the sister to collar Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shota tell Richard about himself?
2. Who is clutching a doll and trying to tell her father something in Chapter 1? What is she trying to get her father to do?
3. What does Kahlan and Chandalen figure out after they search her sister's castle to try and find her body?
4. What does Richard tell Kahlan about why he won't wear a collar?
5. What do the three women who accost Richard say and what happens when he interacts with them?
6. What does Zedd take out of his pocket in Chapter 4 and what does he do with it?
7. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
8. Where does Kahlan go when she leaves the Mud People and what happens to her sister?
9. Who attacks Richard and Verna while they are traveling and what does Verna tell Richard?
10. What do Zedd and Chase do about the screeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard is having a difficult time accepting his magic. Magic is a part of almost all fantasy books.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if he or she was able to use magic. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person do with magic? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If magic existed in the United States in the 21st. century what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
Essay Topic 2
Richard seems to be the central character in many prophecies. He is mentioned in the Mud People stories, in D'Hara, the Baka Ban Mana and in the Southern Continent. It would appear that even though he is one person he will change the history of the entire world. This would indicate what seems to be one of the primary themes in this book that one person can make a huge difference.
1. What do you think is meant by the theme expressed above?
2. Discuss and incident in depth you have seen or read about in which one person made a difference.
3. Although most people think of one person making a difference for the good of all, there have been many incidences in history in which one person made a negative impact. Discuss one of these people and how their character compared to Richard's.
Essay Topic 3
Kahlan made Richard go because she loves him and is scared that he will die. It takes Richard a long time to understand her love for him and the reason she asked him to leave.
1. Do you think Kahlan could have made her motivation clearer to Richard? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. In many place in the book and in the other books in this series Richard and Kahlan have made a great deal out of not lying to each other. Explain why Kahlan lied to Richard about the collar. Do you think she was right to do that? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Richard throws away the lock of hair Kahlan gave him. Do you think he should have understood why she did what she did and said what she said? It seems it completely misunderstood her motives? Does that seem dense for someone who is supposed to be the Seeker of Truth? Why or why not? Also discuss how emotions might get in the way of being logical. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)