|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of position does Kahlan have in the Midlands?
2. How does Richard refer to himself to Verna?
3. What has happened to Kahlan's sister, Cyrilla?
4. What happened to Zedd when he tried to help Addie?
5. What does Richard tell Kahlan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
2. What does Shota tell Richard about himself?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Margret see and what does Nathan say about it?
4. What happens when Richard calls forth the ancient spirits?
5. What does Kahlan find when she follows the trail of the army that slaughtered so many?
6. What happens to Zedd and Addie as they are trying to decide what to do?
7. What does Kahlan and Chandalen figure out after they search her sister's castle to try and find her body?
8. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
9. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
10. What does Richard see when trying to focus on the magic lesson Verna is giving him? What does he tell Verna about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nathan tells Maragret to tell the Prelate that there is a pebble in the pond, although Maragret doesn't understand. The pebble in the pond is Richard, and the Prelate will explain to Richard that Richard causes waves that touch and move everything around them. The Prelate goes on to tell Richard that the trouble with being a pebble in the pond is that the pebble sinks.
1. What do you think a pebble in the pond might mean in terms of Midland's history? Use examples from Stone of Tears to support your answer. Also, give some examples of pebbles in the pond in the history of our world and why you think those examples are pebbles in a pond.
2. Do you think anyone can be a pebble in a pond? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
3. Discuss the various ponds that exist in society, e.g. a town, a state, a country. Include in your discussion how a small "pond" might affect larger ones.
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the land of the Valley of the Lost and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richard's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Stone of Tears falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre and in particular, the fantasy genre? How do you know Stone of Tears falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction or not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)