|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard tell Verna about his vision?
2. Why does the skirn attack Zedd and Addie?
3. On what did Zedd put the stone he took out of his pocket?
4. What does Richard see in the Valley of the Lost?
5. What does Verna try to do about Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
2. What happens when the two remaining sisters come to offer Richard a collar?
3. How did Richard get away from the Mord-Sith collar, how are Mord-Siths created and how strongly does Richard feel about ever wearing another collar?
4. What happens to Zedd and Addie as they are trying to decide what to do?
5. What does Zedd and Addie decide they must do about their problem?
6. Who is clutching a doll and trying to tell her father something in Chapter 1? What is she trying to get her father to do?
7. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
8. What do the three women who accost Richard say and what happens when he interacts with them?
9. Where are Chase and Rachel while Richard is crossing the valley?
10. What is causing Zedd and Addie a problem, what does Zedd try to do about it and what happens when he does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Stone of Tears and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty. Richard has these types of individuals around him also.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Richard has been unable to accept all the different parts of himself. It will be this refusal that keeps him trapped for much of the story. Richard is not unusual. All people have different parts and faces, in private and public.
1. Discuss the reasons you think Richard would have difficulty accepting the different parts of himself. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Discuss the different Richards you have seen in this novel and the differences and similarities between the different parts. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Disscuss the different faces and parts you have in your own life. For example, who you are at school, at home, at church, in a job. Include in your discussion the ways that you are able and unable to integrate those various faces you have and the similarities between them and Richard's different parts.
Essay Topic 3
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of destiny as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze the theme of courage as it occurs throughout the book.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)