Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Richard refer to himself to Verna?
2. Who attacks Richard in Chapter 24?
3. What is the name of the black creature who attacked Zedd and Chase?
4. What do two Sisters in the Palace of the Prophets decide about Pasha Maes?
5. What was the person who first put a collar on Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some of the soldiers bring a boy to Kahlan and what does she do? How does he respond?
2. What does Verna point out to Richard on the way to the Palace and how does he feel about it?
3. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
4. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
5. What does Sister Liliana tell Richard and what does Perry ask him?
6. Describe the encounter between Richard and Darken Rahl in the Garden of Life at the end of the book?
7. What does Kahlan do at the beginning of Chapter 38 concerning the Imperial Army?
8. Who does Zedd find in the crowd after taking care of the screeling and what does she tell him? What does Zedd ask her and what is her response?
9. What does Richard do and what does Kahlan do when the last sister comes and offers Richard the collar?
10. How do some of the boys in the Galen army feel about Kahlan and what does she tell them?
Essay Topic 1
Richard seems to be the central character in many prophecies. He is mentioned in the Mud People stories, in D'Hara, the Baka Ban Mana and in the Southern Continent. It would appear that even though he is one person he will change the history of the entire world. This would indicate what seems to be one of the primary themes in this book that one person can make a huge difference.
1. What do you think is meant by the theme expressed above?
2. Discuss and incident in depth you have seen or read about in which one person made a difference.
3. Although most people think of one person making a difference for the good of all, there have been many incidences in history in which one person made a negative impact. Discuss one of these people and how their character compared to Richard's.
Essay Topic 2
Richard is having a difficult time accepting his magic. Magic is a part of almost all fantasy books.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if he or she was able to use magic. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person do with magic? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If magic existed in the United States in the 21st. century what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
Essay Topic 3
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the land of the Valley of the Lost and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richard's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)