|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zedd try to help Addie?
2. What does Verna tell Richard about how she is feeling?
3. What were the people Zedd and Chase encounter doing?
4. What happened to Zedd when he tried to help Addie?
5. Who was Sister Margaret following at the beginning of Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attacks Richard and what does he do with it?
2. What is causing Zedd and Addie a problem, what does Zedd try to do about it and what happens when he does?
3. What does Zedd tell his two companions to do about the screeling?
4. What does Kahlan find when she follows the trail of the army that slaughtered so many?
5. Where are several sisters discussing Richard and what do they decide?
6. What do the three women who accost Richard say and what happens when he interacts with them?
7. Why has Zedd gone to see Addie? Why does she live where she lives?
8. Who arrives at the Mud People and what do they intend to do? How do the Mud People feel about the two people?
9. What does Richard tell Kahlan about why he won't wear a collar?
10. Who attacks Richard and Verna while they are traveling and what does Verna tell Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Stone of Tears and indeed in many fantasy novels, there are usually at least several individuals or more who have an almost fanatical devotion to a king or queen or royalty. Richard has these types of individuals around him also.
1. Do you believe such devotion is a sign that a person lacks character? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
2. Discuss the harmful and beneficial effects of devotion to one's leader. Use examples to support your answer.
3. Do you think in modern America such dedication to the President of the United States would be very unusual? Why or why not? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sister Verna tells Richard that he is using his magic without realizing how he is using it and so he it is very dangerous. She demands to have his Sword of Truth which Richard always carries. He refuses but then decides that he will give it. Sister Verna tells him that by offering the sword he has earned the right to keep it.
1. Why do you think by Richard being willing to give up his sword Verna decided he had the right to keep it? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Explain in detail, some of the problems Richard has caused with his magic and how the situation could have been prevented had he more knowledge of himself. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Knowing what is known of Richard from this book, why do you think he changed his mind about giving up his sword? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Stone of Tears is difficult to gauge its success because it is one in a series of books about the sword of truth. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of The Stone of Tears that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)