|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guards does Leamas knock out while trying to defend himself?
2. How does Leamas react to Liz's testimony?
3. Who first arrives to rescue Liz after she has testified at Mundt's trial?
4. Liz receives a letter in Chapter 15. What does it say?
5. What warrant did Fiedler apply for on the day of his arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Liz trust the Communist party? Use at least one example from Chapter 15 to support your answer.
2. What does Leamas realize about Mundt at the end of Mundt's trial?
3. Leamas and Fiedler are working toward what common goal?
4. How might the tone at the beginning of Chapter 21 be described? How might the tone at the end of Chapter 21 be described?
5. What might Liz's disenchantment about the Community Party foreshadow?
6. What major choice does Leamas make as he and Liz are crossing the border?
7. What response does Leamas give Liz about her feelings on the situation?
8. What makes Leamas trust Fiedler even more after they both have been interrogated?
9. Is Leamas' treatment at the hands of Mundt surprising? Why or why not?
10. What incriminating piece of evidence does Liz disclose at Mundt's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leamas' final choice at the end of the novel can be seen as a bit controversial. Write a 2-3 page paper, using evidence from the text, arguing that Leamas' choice was not surprising based on what you know about his character. Then, write a 2-3 page paper, using evidence from the text, aruging that Leamas' choice was completely surprising based on what you know about his character.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Liz Gold plays a pivotal role in the novel. Could it be argued that Liz is also working for the British intelligence service? Citing 3 examples from the text, write an argument that either supports or denies this hypothesis. Make sure to use at lease 3 examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Who is duped the most in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold: Liz, Leamas, Fiedler, or the reader? Provide at least 3 examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)