|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who starts shooting at Liz and Leamas?
(a) The West Berlin guards.
(b) No one -- they are finally safe.
(c) The Vopos.
(d) British intelligence agents.
2. When Mundt is first interrogating Leamas, Mundt tells Leamas that he must confess:
(a) Under no circumstances.
(b) Into a tape recorder.
(c) At Fiedler's public trial.
(d) To Mundt and Mundt only, since they're on the same side.
3. How much time do Liz and Leamas have to cross the border?
(a) At least 3 hours.
(b) No time at all -- they are running too late.
(c) Until the sun comes up.
(d) A very short window.
4. How many people show up for the Communist meeting Liz attends in East Germany?
5. What key realization does Leamas come to at the end of Mundt's trial?
(a) That he has been used by the British government.
(b) That Liz never loved him.
(c) That Liz is really the double agent.
(d) That Fiedler was setting him up all along.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bank's reply to Leamas' forged inquiry lead Fiedler to believe?
2. After Liz's testimony at Mundt's trial, what does Leamas express his severe disappointment in?
3. Liz receives a letter in Chapter 15. What does it say?
4. What is Liz's initial reaction to the letter she receives?
5. What warrant did Fiedler apply for on the day of his arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Leamas and Fiedler are working toward what common goal?
2. Does Liz trust the Communist party? Use at least one example from Chapter 15 to support your answer.
3. What does Leamas' decision on top of the border wall represent?
4. After Mundt's trial ends, who does Liz believe to be "right" and "good" in the situation?
5. What does Leamas realize about Mundt at the end of Mundt's trial?
6. Why does Leamas react the way that he does when Fiedler mentions Liz for the first time?
7. What does Liz's arrival at Mundt's trial tell Leamas about British intelligence?
8. What triggers Leamas' realization about Mundt?
9. What incriminating piece of evidence does Liz disclose at Mundt's trial?
10. What problem does Liz pose for Leamas when she enters the courtroom during Mundt's trial?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)