|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the bank's reply to Leamas' forged inquiry lead Fiedler to believe?
(a) That Liz is more than she seems to be.
(b) That Mundt must be the special agent.
(c) That there's no way Mundt could be the special agent.
(d) That Leamas really did commit embezzlement.
2. During the trial, who does Fiedler accuse of murdering Karl Riemeck?
3. When Mundt is first interrogating Leamas, Mundt is very interested in Leamas' meetings with whom?
(a) George Smiley.
(b) Miss Crail.
(c) Liz Gold.
(d) Communists in London.
4. What is Liz's initial reaction to the letter she receives?
(a) Frightened and fearful.
(b) Excited and eager.
(c) Skeptical but intrigued.
(d) Trusting and open.
5. What does Karden ask Liz about during Mundt's trial?
(a) He asks if this is her first time in East Germany.
(b) He asks if she really is a Communist, or is just pretending.
(c) He asks if it's true that she's been married 6 times.
(d) He asks about her relationship with Leamas.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Mundt's trial, what does Fiedler argue is suspicious about Mundt's time in England?
2. What is the Fennan case?
3. Who is waiting for Liz when she is rescued?
4. Who does Liz meet at a Communist Party meeting?
5. What is the official name of Mundt's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Liz's arrival at Mundt's trial tell Leamas about British intelligence?
2. What does Mundt want to know about George Smiley while Mundt is interrogating Leamas?
3. What makes Leamas trust Fiedler even more after they both have been interrogated?
4. What response does Leamas give Liz about her feelings on the situation?
5. Explain Liz's interest in the Communist party and how this influences her reaction to their invitation.
6. What triggers Leamas' realization about Mundt?
7. What incriminating piece of evidence does Liz disclose at Mundt's trial?
8. Why doesn't Leamas question the response from the bank in Chapter 14?
9. Does Liz trust the Communist party? Use at least one example from Chapter 15 to support your answer.
10. At the end of Chapter 20, how is Leamas feeling about his mission?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)