|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could Liz's reaction to the plot that Leamas explains as they flee East German best be described?
2. What does the commissar tell Liz about what will happen to Fiedler?
(a) He will be killed.
(b) He will be set free, but he must never leave East Germany.
(c) He will be returned to London.
(d) He will be imprisoned for the rest of his life.
3. During Mundt's trial, what does Liz say happened to Leamas' debts?
(a) They are all paid off.
(b) Leamas had no debts when he went to prison.
(c) They suddenly became due and the collectors came after her.
(d) They ballooned out of control because he couldn't pay them from prison.
4. Where is Liz taken after she is rescued?
(a) To a waiting car.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To the train station.
(d) To a nice hotel.
5. Who does Liz meet at a Communist Party meeting?
(c) Miss Crail.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the trial, who does Fiedler accuse of murdering Karl Riemeck?
2. When Leamas and Fiedler are attacked, where are they?
3. When Mundt is first interrogating Leamas, Mundt is very interested in Leamas' meetings with whom?
4. During Mundt's trial, what does Liz say happened to her debts?
5. After Liz's testimony at Mundt's trial, who does Leamas defend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Liz's interest in the Communist party and how this influences her reaction to their invitation.
2. After Mundt's trial ends, who does Liz believe to be "right" and "good" in the situation?
3. What is Leamas' reaction to Mundt when he begins to be interrogated by him?
4. Leamas and Fiedler are working toward what common goal?
5. What major choice does Leamas make as he and Liz are crossing the border?
6. How might the tone at the beginning of Chapter 21 be described? How might the tone at the end of Chapter 21 be described?
7. Who do both Fiedler and Leamas appear to fight against when they are surprised by guards in Chapter 16?
8. Does Liz trust the Communist party? Use at least one example from Chapter 15 to support your answer.
9. What might Liz's disenchantment about the Community Party foreshadow?
10. What does Mundt want to know about George Smiley while Mundt is interrogating Leamas?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)