|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warrant did Fiedler apply for on the day of his arrest?
(a) A warrent to arrest Leamas.
(b) A warrant to extradite Leamas to Russia.
(c) A warrant to extradite Leamas to America.
(d) A warrant to arrest Mundt.
2. How does Leamas react to Liz's testimony?
(a) He is angry she didn't tell him about the baby.
(b) He gets very angry because he realizes his mission has been spoiled.
(c) He glows, because he loves her so much.
(d) He pretends he doesn't know her.
3. Who climbs up the border wall first?
4. What is Liz's reaction to the attendance numbers for the Communist meeting she attends in East Germany?
(a) She can't believe how young all the attendees are.
(b) She feels disenchanted with the Communist Party.
(c) She is flattered that they liked her speech so much.
(d) She is excited so many people came.
5. After Liz's testimony at Mundt's trial, who does Leamas defend?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guards does Leamas knock out while trying to defend himself?
2. Who climbs up the border wall second?
3. How knowledgeable is Liz about Germany?
4. Who is Karden?
5. Toward the end of the novel, what does Liz believe about Mundt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Liz pose for Leamas when she enters the courtroom during Mundt's trial?
2. What does Liz's arrival at Mundt's trial tell Leamas about British intelligence?
3. At the end of Chapter 20, how is Leamas feeling about his mission?
4. What does Mundt want to know about George Smiley while Mundt is interrogating Leamas?
5. Why does Leamas react the way that he does when Fiedler mentions Liz for the first time?
6. What response does Leamas give Liz about her feelings on the situation?
7. During the Tribunal, and in response to Fiedler's questioning, what does Leamas say about Mundt being a secret agent?
8. Does Liz trust the Communist party? Use at least one example from Chapter 15 to support your answer.
9. What is Leamas' reaction to Mundt when he begins to be interrogated by him?
10. Leamas and Fiedler are working toward what common goal?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)