|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Liz Gold?
(a) A schoolteacher.
(b) The mailwoman.
(c) A nurse.
(d) A cataloging assistant in the library.
2. What is Leamas' financial situation after leaving British intelligence?
(a) Has very little money.
(b) Loses a lot of money gambling.
(c) Gets a lot of money from publishing his autobiography.
(d) Wins a lot of money gambling.
3. Who does Miss Crail talk to on the phone most of the time?
(a) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
4. Whose house does Leamas go to after he is released from prison?
(a) Miss Crail's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) Liz Gold's.
(d) George Smiley's.
5. What does Leamas say in his secret letter to Liz?
(a) That he's coming home soon.
(b) That she needs to get on with her life.
(c) He doesn't write a secret letter to Liz.
(d) That he loves her and can't stop thinking about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Liz have help break down Leamas' door when he has missed work?
2. Which of the following is the best description of Leamas' life, from the public's point of view, once he leaves British intelligence?
3. In Chapter 12, what does Fiedler ask Leamas about?
4. What does Leamas see when he leaves Liz's apartment after first spending the night?
5. What does Liz do while Leamas is in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Leamas remember about Controls' advice regarding Fiedler?
2. How does Leamas react to what happens when Karl tries to cross the border in Chapter 1?
3. Most of Leamas' information about Fielder and Mundt is based on what?
4. Describe the choice Leamas makes in Chapter 3 about who he hangs out with. Why does he make that choice.
5. Based on the description of Leamas in Chapter 2, list 3 adjectives that describe him physically.
6. How much information does Leamas give Liz about his profession?
7. What does Leamas' political philosophy (or lack thereof) symbolize?
8. How does Leamas react to Liz's secret? Why?
9. Why does Leamas take a long, complicated route when he meets up with his contact after being released from prison?
10. In Chapter 7, why does Leamas get a bit aggressive and state that he only wants to negotiate the deal with Kiever (instead of Ashe)?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)