|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what time period is this novel taking place?
(d) 1960's era Cold War.
2. Who is Fiedler?
(a) Third in command to Mundt.
(b) Mundt's boss.
(c) Mundt's personal assistant.
(d) Second in command to Mundt.
3. Where does Leamas request he be sent after he officially defects?
(c) Anywhere that isn't in Europe.
(d) Soviet territory.
4. What people does Control tell Leamas to look up before starting his new mission?
(a) Karl Reimeck & Peter Smiley.
(b) No one -- he's supposed to work alone.
(c) George Smiley & Peter Guilliam.
(d) George Guilliam & Peter Smiley.
5. Who is Alexander Thwaite?
(a) Another agent Leamas has to talk to.
(b) Leamas' new secret identity.
(c) Another double-agent giving secrets to Peters.
(d) Leamas' old boss back in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ashe introduce Leamas to in Chapter 7?
2. Which of the following is the best description of Leamas' life, from the public's point of view, once he leaves British intelligence?
3. Liz is visited by someone when Leamas is in prison. What does this person giver her?
4. What is Leamas' financial situation after leaving British intelligence?
5. Which language does Leamas speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader conclude about Leamas' mission when George Smiley goes to visit Liz?
2. What helps Leamas the most in his creation of a public persona in Chapter 3? How does it help him?
3. Why does Leamas need his life and his mistakes to be so public in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the choice Leamas makes in Chapter 3 about who he hangs out with. Why does he make that choice.
5. Based on the description of Leamas in Chapter 2, list 3 adjectives that describe him physically.
6. What does Peter suggest about the money that Leamas was bringing to Scandinavian countries during Rolling Stone?
7. Why does Leamas take a long, complicated route when he meets up with his contact after being released from prison?
8. What does Leamas' political philosophy (or lack thereof) symbolize?
9. In Chapter 5, why does Leamas tell Liz to leave and never come back?
10. Name 3 things you learn about Leamas in Chapter 1.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)