|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best description of Miss Crail?
(a) She is not very close with her mother.
(b) She really likes Leamas.
(c) She's very particular.
(d) She loves creating conflict.
2. What person does Leamas think of and remember while being questioned by Peters?
(b) Miss Crail.
(c) His ex-wife.
(d) His mother.
3. During the first part of Leamas' questioning, Peters disappears. How long is Peters gone for?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
4. What country has Leamas NOT lived in?
5. For how many days is Leamas sick while Liz nurses him back to health?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Kiever offer Leamas as payment for his cover job?
2. When Leamas is released from jail, how does he feel about the person he first meets?
3. What does Leamas see when he leaves Liz's apartment after first spending the night?
4. Once Elvira crosses the German border, what does she report to Leamas?
5. After publicly leaving his job in Chapter 3, what does Leamas do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter suggest about the money that Leamas was bringing to Scandinavian countries during Rolling Stone?
2. How might the relationship between Miss Crail and Leamas be described? What makes it that way?
3. Describe the choice Leamas makes in Chapter 3 about who he hangs out with. Why does he make that choice.
4. What logistics does Kiever have covered at the end of Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 3, is Leamas the spy the same person as Leamas the public man? Why or why not?
6. Why does Leamas refuse to believe that there could have been a spy in East Germany that he didn't know about?
7. What does Leamas' political philosophy (or lack thereof) symbolize?
8. Who does Leamas assume is behind his story and picture being in the paper?
9. In Chapter 7, why does Leamas get a bit aggressive and state that he only wants to negotiate the deal with Kiever (instead of Ashe)?
10. Using at least 3 adjectives, describe the overall tone of Chapter 1.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)