|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karden accuse Leamas of during Mundt's trial?
(a) Of robbing Fiedler when he wasn't paying attention.
(b) Of seeking refuge with the East Germans when he's really a British fugitive.
(c) Of stealing money from the British government and not sharing it.
(d) Of being a double agent and setting up false evidence against Mundt.
2. What happens to Leamas when he is on top of the border wall?
(a) He makes the choice to stand up and get shot also.
(b) He takes a bullet for Liz, but saves her life.
(c) He panics and loses his balance, falling to the wrong side.
(d) He makes it over safely.
3. Who does Liz receive a letter from?
(a) Her long-lost mother.
(b) The Queen of England.
(c) The Centre of the District Communist Party.
4. During Mundt's trial, what does Liz say happened to Leamas' debts?
(a) They suddenly became due and the collectors came after her.
(b) They are all paid off.
(c) They ballooned out of control because he couldn't pay them from prison.
(d) Leamas had no debts when he went to prison.
5. How are Liz and Leamas supposed to cross the border?
(a) In a car.
(b) On a bicycle.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a helicopter that is coming to rescue them.
6. What does Leamas first do when he realizes he is going to be attacked after being out with Fiedler?
(a) He runs.
(b) He puts his hands up.
(c) He starts speaking Italian so they won't think he's a spy.
(d) He hides in the dark and waits for them to attack.
7. What happens to Leamas right at the end of Mundt's trial?
(a) He remains under arrest.
(b) He is given a new East German identity.
(c) He is sent to Russia.
(d) He is sentenced to death.
8. After Liz's testimony at Mundt's trial, who does Leamas defend?
9. What does Leamas tell Fiedler about Liz?
(a) That he wants her brought to East Berlin.
(b) That she cannot be brought into the mission for any reason.
(c) That she has a pretty sister Fiedler can date, too.
(d) That he's going to ask her to marry him.
10. Toward the end of the novel, what does Liz believe about Mundt?
(a) He is a bad man who should be punished.
(b) He saved her life.
(c) He should be compensated better for how hard he works.
(d) He is a relative of Leamas.
11. During Mundt's trial, what is Fiedler arguing Mundt did?
(a) Became a secret British agent.
(b) Sold plans for making a bomb to the Americans.
(c) Sold guns to the Russians.
(d) Lied about believing Communism to be the best form of government.
12. During Mundt's trial, what does Liz say happened to her debts?
(a) They ballooned out of control because she is so sad about Leamas leaving.
(b) They suddenly became due and she has no money.
(c) They are all paid off.
(d) They were all paid off by Leamas.
13. When Liz first arrives in East Germany, what does she do?
(a) Loses all of her luggage.
(b) Attends a very fancy ceremony with the king.
(c) Meets with common people.
(d) Has her passport stolen.
14. What is the official name of Mundt's trial?
(a) There is no official name for it; it's a secret hearing.
(b) Mundt V. The State of East Germany.
(c) The Tribunal.
(d) The Circus.
15. After Mundt's first interrogation, where does Leamus wake up?
(a) Back in his cell.
(b) In a hospital room.
(c) In a dark room he doesn't recognize.
(d) At Liz's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Leamas between when he was knocked out and when he wakes up?
2. During Mundt's trial, what does Fiedler argue about Karl Riemeck?
3. What does Mundt's representative argue during the trial?
4. Who first arrives to rescue Liz after she has testified at Mundt's trial?
5. What is the Praesidium?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)