|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Mundt's trial, what piece of incriminating evidence does Liz say?
(a) That Liz is pregnant by Leamas.
(b) That Leamas told her he had to get revenge against someone.
(c) That the library is a secret meeting place for Communists.
(d) That Leamas confided in her that he was a double agent.
2. How long is Leamas is beaten in Chapter 16?
(a) Until he confesses everything.
(b) Until he passes out.
(c) Until Fiedler intervenes.
(d) Until he gives them Liz's address.
3. After Liz's testimony at Mundt's trial, what does Leamas express his severe disappointment in?
(a) The East Germans.
(b) The British.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The West Germans.
4. How many people show up for the Communist meeting Liz attends in East Germany?
5. After being sent the document with Leamas' forged signature, how does the bank reply?
(a) That the money has grown considerably from interest.
(b) That there never was any money to begin with.
(c) That the money inquired about was withdrawn already.
(d) That the money has been transferred to Liz Gold's personal account.
6. Why did Mundt beat Fiedler during his interrogation?
(a) Because Fiedler got Mundt fired a long time ago.
(b) Because Fiedler is Jewish.
(c) Because Fiedler refused to talk.
(d) Because Fiedler stole Mundt's girlfriend.
7. Toward the end of the novel, what does Liz believe about Fiedler?
(a) He is a liar.
(b) He is a double-agent who should be protected.
(c) He will be joining them soon in Russia.
(d) He is a good man who should not be killed.
8. How does Leamas react to Liz's testimony?
(a) He is angry she didn't tell him about the baby.
(b) He glows, because he loves her so much.
(c) He gets very angry because he realizes his mission has been spoiled.
(d) He pretends he doesn't know her.
9. What happens to Leamas right at the end of Mundt's trial?
(a) He is sentenced to death.
(b) He remains under arrest.
(c) He is sent to Russia.
(d) He is given a new East German identity.
10. What does Karden call for to refute Leamas' claims?
(a) For Leamas to be tortured so he'll talk on the stand.
(b) Karden calls Fiedler to the stand, who has been recording Leamas all along.
(c) A special jury to look into Leamas' allegations.
(d) A secret witness.
11. Who climbs up the border wall first?
12. What key realization does Leamas come to at the end of Mundt's trial?
(a) That Liz is really the double agent.
(b) That Fiedler was setting him up all along.
(c) That he has been used by the British government.
(d) That Liz never loved him.
13. How much time do Liz and Leamas have to cross the border?
(a) A very short window.
(b) Until the sun comes up.
(c) At least 3 hours.
(d) No time at all -- they are running too late.
14. What does Leamas tell Fiedler about Liz?
(a) That he's going to ask her to marry him.
(b) That she has a pretty sister Fiedler can date, too.
(c) That he wants her brought to East Berlin.
(d) That she cannot be brought into the mission for any reason.
15. What does the commissar tell Liz about what will happen to Leamas?
(a) He will be killed.
(b) He will be returned to London.
(c) He will be imprisoned for the rest of his life.
(d) He will be set free, but he must never leave East Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leamas react to Fiedler when Fiedler mentions Liz?
2. What was the evidence Fiedler used to support the warrant?
3. What is Liz's initial reaction to the letter she receives?
4. Who first arrives to rescue Liz after she has testified at Mundt's trial?
5. How does Liz feel about her presence at Mundt's trial?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)