|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mundt is first interrogating Leamas, Mundt tells Leamas that he must confess:
(a) To Mundt and Mundt only, since they're on the same side.
(b) Under no circumstances.
(c) At Fiedler's public trial.
(d) Into a tape recorder.
2. What is the Praesidium?
(a) The secret tunnel system Leamas uses to escape.
(b) The ruling council of East Germany.
(c) A torture method Mundt uses on Leamas.
(d) The prison where Leamas is being kept.
3. Who first arrives to rescue Liz after she has testified at Mundt's trial?
4. Who is waiting for Liz when she is rescued?
(a) Miss Crail.
(b) No one -- she must flee in secret.
(c) Her mother.
5. During Mundt's trial, what is Fiedler arguing Mundt did?
(a) Became a secret British agent.
(b) Sold guns to the Russians.
(c) Lied about believing Communism to be the best form of government.
(d) Sold plans for making a bomb to the Americans.
6. How does Liz feel about her presence at Mundt's trial?
(a) She faints.
(b) She is more than happy to participate.
(c) She is confused and scared.
(d) She refuses to even speak.
7. Who starts shooting at Liz and Leamas?
(a) British intelligence agents.
(b) The Vopos.
(c) No one -- they are finally safe.
(d) The West Berlin guards.
8. Toward the end of the novel, what does Liz believe about Fiedler?
(a) He will be joining them soon in Russia.
(b) He is a double-agent who should be protected.
(c) He is a liar.
(d) He is a good man who should not be killed.
9. After Mundt's first interrogation, where does Leamus wake up?
(a) In a dark room he doesn't recognize.
(b) Back in his cell.
(c) In a hospital room.
(d) At Liz's house.
10. At the end of Chapter 19, how has Liz's experience in East Germany been?
(b) Really fun.
11. Who does Liz meet at a Communist Party meeting?
(a) Miss Crail.
12. Liz receives a letter in Chapter 15. What does it say?
(a) That Leamas will be home within a week.
(b) That she has been selected for an all-expense-paid trip to East Germany.
(c) That she has inherited a lot of money from her late mother.
(d) That the library has been underpaying her for years.
13. During Mundt's trial, what does Fiedler argue is suspicious about Mundt's time in England?
(a) That Mundt was stationed there even though he didn't speak English.
(b) That Mundt never came into the office, but still was paid for his work.
(c) That Mundt came home with way too much money.
(d) That Mundt was able to escape without any negative consequences.
14. When Leamas and Fiedler are attacked, where are they?
(a) About to board a plane to safety in America.
(b) In Russia.
(c) On the grounds of a country house.
(d) In an East German prison.
15. How are Liz and Leamas supposed to cross the border?
(a) On foot.
(b) In a helicopter that is coming to rescue them.
(c) In a car.
(d) On a bicycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Karden?
2. What does Karden ask Liz about during Mundt's trial?
3. What has happened to Leamas between when he was knocked out and when he wakes up?
4. What does the commissar tell Liz about what will happen to Fiedler?
5. What happens to Leamas when he is on top of the border wall?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)