1. Name 3 things you learn about Leamas in Chapter 1.
Leamas is a British spy, he doesn't seem very friendly, and he is not very trusting.
2. How does Leamas react to what happens when Karl tries to cross the border in Chapter 1?
Leamas seems disappointed, but doesn't seem surprised at what happens when Karl tries to cross the border. It's almost as if Leamas knew it might happen.
3. What shooting rule do the West German guards operate under?
The West German guards can't, and don't, shoot to protect someone until he or she is on their side.
4. Using at least 3 adjectives, describe the overall tone of Chapter 1.
The tone of Chapter 1 could be described as mysterious, secretive, and distrustful. It's also very tense and suspicious.
5. What does Leamas think about his career on his flight to London to meet with Control?
During the flight back to London to meet with Control, Leamas wonders if he is burned out from having done the job for too long.
This section contains 2,733 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)