1. Who is Alex Leamas?
(a) A West German spy.
(b) An average citizen.
(c) An East German spy.
(d) A British secret agent.
2. Who is Elvira?
(a) An average citizen.
(b) Karl Riemeck's girlfriend and employee.
(c) Alec Leamas' friend.
(d) Alec Leamas' sister and employee.
3. In what time period is this novel taking place?
(d) 1960's era Cold War.
4. How does Elvira cross the German border?
(a) On foot.
(b) On a bike.
(c) She doesn't cross the border.
(d) In a car.
5. How does Karl try to cross the German border?
(a) In a car.
(b) He doesn't try to cross the border.
(c) On a bike.
(d) On foot.
6. What happens to Karl in the first chapter?
(a) He retires and has a party.
(b) He becomes a spy.
(c) He quits his job.
(d) He is shot.
7. Who are the Vopos?
(a) American border guards.
(b) German border guards.
(c) West German spies.
(d) East German spies.
8. Who are the British allied with?
(a) East German.
(b) No one.
(c) Both West and East Germany.
(d) West Germany.
This section contains 5,362 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)