• The text opens at a border crossing station between East and West Germany in 1960's era Cold War.
• Alec Leamas, the protagonist, and his CIA contact wait on the Western side of the border. They are waiting for 2 people to try to make it across.
• One woman, Elvira, makes it across safely in a car. She tells Leamas that all of her spy network in East Berlin has been arrested, and that her boss, Karl Riemeck, is coming behind her on his bicycle.
• Much later, under cover of darkness, Karl attempts to cross the border, but is shot by the East German border guards. His fate is unknown.
• Leamas flies home to Germany and meets with Control, who is the head of the British intelligence agency.
• Leamas expects to be fired because of his failed intelligence operations in East Germany. Instead, Control asks him to go...
This section contains 2,160 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)