|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
2. Where was Holmes when he told Watson how he figured out this case?
3. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
4. Where does the ventilator in Julia's room lead to?
5. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
2. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
3. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
4. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
5. What killed Julia and Roylott?
6. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
7. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
8. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
9. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
10. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)