|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
2. What color is the house?
3. What does Helen say scares her most about her step-father?
4. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
5. What does Holmes tell Helen to do to protect herself from Roylott when he returns from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Roylott look like when Watson got into his bedroom?
2. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
3. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
4. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
5. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
6. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
7. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
8. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
9. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
10. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roylott used manipulation and persuasion to meet his goals and needs. What are some ways he did this, and how did these instances affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)