|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
2. When does Roylott get home from the city?
3. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
4. What was the whistling sound for?
5. What did the bell pull act as for the snake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
2. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
3. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
4. What did Roylott look like when Watson got into his bedroom?
5. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
6. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
7. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
8. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
9. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
10. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)