|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
2. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
3. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
4. Where does Holmes go after hitting at the bell pull?
5. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
2. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
3. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
4. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
5. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
6. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
7. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
8. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
9. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
10. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the twists in this strange case that surprised you, and why? What led up to those surprising moments?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Doyle have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)