|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the snake get every time it returned from Julia's room?
2. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
3. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
4. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
5. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
2. What did Roylott look like when Watson got into his bedroom?
3. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
4. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
5. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
6. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
7. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
8. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
9. What killed Julia and Roylott?
10. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen experiences some moments of deep despair in this book. What are some of these moments, what caused them, and how did her reaction to this despair shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the twists in this strange case that surprised you, and why? What led up to those surprising moments?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)