|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
2. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
3. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
4. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
5. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
2. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
3. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
4. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
5. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
6. How did Holmes say he knew he would find a ventilator between Julia and Roylott's room?
7. What killed Julia and Roylott?
8. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
9. What was Helen told to do after she got news of her step-father's death?
10. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the main clues Holmes used to solve this case, and how did their significance escape the notice of all the other characters in this plot?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Roylott used manipulation and persuasion to meet his goals and needs. What are some ways he did this, and how did these instances affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)