|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What killed Julia?
2. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
3. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
4. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
5. Where was Holmes when he told Watson how he figured out this case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
2. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
3. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
4. What killed Julia and Roylott?
5. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
6. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
7. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room, and what does Holmes think of this?
8. How did Holmes say he knew he would find a ventilator between Julia and Roylott's room?
9. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
10. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 3
There was an intense amount of loyalty displayed by Watson. How did he show this trait, and how did this affect his standing with the other characters?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)