|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
2. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
3. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
4. What was the whistling sound for?
5. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of payment did Holmes receive for solving this unusual case, and what does this indicate about his character? Why do you think this detail was significant enough for the author to include it in this narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Watson was a very objective observer of this case. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation influence the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)