|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen say is inside the safe in Roylott's room?
2. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
3. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
4. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
5. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
2. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
3. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room, and what does Holmes think of this?
4. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
5. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
6. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
7. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
8. What killed Julia and Roylott?
9. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
10. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 2
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)