|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
2. What was the whistling sound for?
3. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
4. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
5. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room, and what does Holmes think of this?
2. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
3. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
4. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
5. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
6. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
7. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
8. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
9. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
10. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)