|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
2. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
3. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
4. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
5. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
2. What killed Julia and Roylott?
3. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
4. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
5. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
6. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
7. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
8. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
9. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
10. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the main clues Holmes used to solve this case, and how did their significance escape the notice of all the other characters in this plot?
Essay Topic 3
Roylott used manipulation and persuasion to meet his goals and needs. What are some ways he did this, and how did these instances affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)