|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
2. What made the whistling sound?
3. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
4. What did Roylott keep in his safe?
5. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
2. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
3. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
4. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
5. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
6. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
7. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
8. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
9. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
10. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Doyle have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
How did Watson's relationship with Holmes change and progress over the course of this plot? What clues were given to the deepness of their friendship, and how did this change the feeling of the book?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)