|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Roylott get home from the city?
2. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
3. How does Holmes describe the murder of Julia?
4. How many times has Helen seen the inside of Roylott's safe?
5. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
2. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
3. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
4. How did Holmes say he knew he would find a ventilator between Julia and Roylott's room?
5. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
6. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
7. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
8. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
9. What was Helen told to do after she got news of her step-father's death?
10. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Watson's relationship with Holmes change and progress over the course of this plot? What clues were given to the deepness of their friendship, and how did this change the feeling of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the main clues Holmes used to solve this case, and how did their significance escape the notice of all the other characters in this plot?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)