|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
2. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
3. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
4. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
5. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
2. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
3. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
4. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
5. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
6. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
7. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
8. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
9. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
10. What killed Julia and Roylott?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Doyle have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)