|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
2. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
3. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
4. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
5. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
2. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
3. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
4. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
5. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
6. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
7. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
8. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
9. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
10. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 3
How did Watson's relationship with Holmes change and progress over the course of this plot? What clues were given to the deepness of their friendship, and how did this change the feeling of the book?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)