|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
2. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
3. What color is the house?
4. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
5. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
2. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
3. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
4. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
5. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
6. What did Roylott look like when Watson got into his bedroom?
7. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
8. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
9. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
10. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)