|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the authorities decide after reviewing Roylott's death?
2. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
3. What killed Julia?
4. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
5. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
2. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
3. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
4. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
5. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room, and what does Holmes think of this?
6. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
7. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
8. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
9. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
10. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen experiences some moments of deep despair in this book. What are some of these moments, what caused them, and how did her reaction to this despair shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the twists in this strange case that surprised you, and why? What led up to those surprising moments?
Essay Topic 3
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)