|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the bell pull act as for the snake?
2. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
3. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
4. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
5. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
2. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
3. What was Helen told to do after she got news of her step-father's death?
4. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
5. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
6. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
7. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
8. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
9. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
10. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)