Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
2. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
3. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
4. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
5. What did Julia's body NOT show signs of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
2. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
3. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
4. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
5. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
6. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
7. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
8. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
9. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
10. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 3
Irony was a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where Irony was present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)