|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
2. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
3. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
4. Where did the narrator live when this case took place?
5. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
2. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
3. What kept Helen awake on the night her twin sister died?
4. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
5. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
6. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
7. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
8. How does this book begin?
9. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
10. What did Helen's mother's will say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony was a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where Irony was present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)