|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
2. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
3. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
4. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
5. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
2. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
3. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
4. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
5. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
6. How did Julia die?
7. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
8. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
9. Who are Roylott's only friends?
10. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
How did Watson's relationship with Holmes change and progress over the course of this plot? What clues were given to the deepness of their friendship, and how did this change the feeling of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)