|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
2. Why did the coroner review Julia's death so thoroughly?
3. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
4. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
5. How did the young lady's butler die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
2. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
3. How does this book begin?
4. What did Helen's mother's will say?
5. Who are Roylott's only friends?
6. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
7. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
8. What did Helen think her sister died from?
9. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
10. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
There was an intense amount of loyalty displayed by Watson. How did he show this trait, and how did this affect his standing with the other characters?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)