|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
2. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
3. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
4. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
5. What was the occupation of the man who wanted to marry the young lady's twin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
2. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
3. How did Julia die?
4. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
5. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
6. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
7. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
8. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
9. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
10. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the main clues Holmes used to solve this case, and how did their significance escape the notice of all the other characters in this plot?
Essay Topic 3
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)