|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes pull over his face while he travels to the house?
2. What was the occupation of the man who wanted to marry the young lady's twin?
3. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
4. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
5. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
2. What did Helen think her sister died from?
3. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
4. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
5. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
6. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
7. How does this book begin?
8. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
9. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
10. Who are Roylott's only friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Watson's relationship with Holmes change and progress over the course of this plot? What clues were given to the deepness of their friendship, and how did this change the feeling of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)