|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
2. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
3. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
4. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
5. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
2. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
3. How did Julia die?
4. How does this book begin?
5. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
6. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
7. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
8. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
9. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
10. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Helen experiences some moments of deep despair in this book. What are some of these moments, what caused them, and how did her reaction to this despair shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)