|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
2. Where does the young lady's stepfather import his animals from?
3. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
4. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
5. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
2. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
3. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
4. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
5. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
6. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
7. How did Julia die?
8. What did Helen's mother's will say?
9. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
10. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of payment did Holmes receive for solving this unusual case, and what does this indicate about his character? Why do you think this detail was significant enough for the author to include it in this narrative?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)