|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
2. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
3. What did Helen think Julia died of?
4. What does Holmes pull over his face while he travels to the house?
5. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
2. How did Julia die?
3. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
4. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
5. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
6. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
7. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
8. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
9. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
10. How does this book begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Watson was a very objective observer of this case. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation influence the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 3
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)