|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
2. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
3. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
4. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
5. What is the name of the young lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
2. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
3. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
4. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
5. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
6. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
7. How did Julia die?
8. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
9. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
10. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
There was an intense amount of loyalty displayed by Watson. How did he show this trait, and how did this affect his standing with the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)