|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
2. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
3. What did Julia's body NOT show signs of?
4. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
5. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
2. Who are Roylott's only friends?
3. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
4. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
5. What did Helen's mother's will say?
6. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
7. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
8. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
9. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
10. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There was an intense amount of loyalty displayed by Watson. How did he show this trait, and how did this affect his standing with the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the main clues Holmes used to solve this case, and how did their significance escape the notice of all the other characters in this plot?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)