|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Julia wearing when she died?
2. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
3. What was the case about of the woman who referred the visitor to Holmes?
4. How many wings of the step-father's estate are inhabitable?
5. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
2. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
3. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
4. What kept Helen awake on the night her twin sister died?
5. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
6. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
7. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
8. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
9. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
10. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)