|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
2. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
3. How did the big man get to Holmes's house?
4. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
5. What did Helen hear on the morning she went to see Sherlock Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
2. What did Helen's mother's will say?
3. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
4. How did Julia die?
5. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
6. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
7. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
8. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
9. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
10. How does this book begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 3
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)