|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
2. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
3. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
4. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
5. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
2. What did Helen think her sister died from?
3. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
4. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
5. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
6. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
7. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
8. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
9. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
10. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Watson was a very objective observer of this case. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation influence the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Irony was a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where Irony was present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)