|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
2. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
3. What is the name of the young lady?
4. How did the big man get to Holmes's house?
5. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
2. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
3. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
4. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
5. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
6. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
7. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
8. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
9. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
10. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the main clues Holmes used to solve this case, and how did their significance escape the notice of all the other characters in this plot?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)