|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
2. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
3. Where does the young lady's stepfather import his animals from?
4. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
5. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
2. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
3. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
4. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
5. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
6. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
7. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
8. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
9. What kept Helen awake on the night her twin sister died?
10. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Doyle have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)