|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the young lady's stepfather import his animals from?
2. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
3. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
4. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
5. What does Holmes pull over his face while he travels to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
2. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
3. How does this book begin?
4. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
5. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
6. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
7. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
8. What did Helen think her sister died from?
9. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
10. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of payment did Holmes receive for solving this unusual case, and what does this indicate about his character? Why do you think this detail was significant enough for the author to include it in this narrative?
Essay Topic 3
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)