|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Chimney not a valid entrance into Julia's room?
2. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
3. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
4. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
5. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
2. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
3. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
4. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
5. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
6. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
7. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
8. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
9. What did Helen think her sister died from?
10. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Julia is an important character who makes a big difference in the plot even though she had passed on before the narrative began. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that the inclusion of the memories of this character altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Julia had not been mentioned in the book at all?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)