|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the bruising on Helen?
2. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
3. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
4. Why did the coroner review Julia's death so thoroughly?
5. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
2. Who are Roylott's only friends?
3. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
4. What did Helen's mother's will say?
5. What did Helen think her sister died from?
6. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
7. How did Julia die?
8. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
9. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
10. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Holmes's opinion of logic, and how does this idea affect the characters around him?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
There was an intense amount of loyalty displayed by Watson. How did he show this trait, and how did this affect his standing with the other characters?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)