|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
2. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
3. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
4. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
5. How did the young lady's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
2. What did Helen's mother's will say?
3. Who are Roylott's only friends?
4. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
5. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
6. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
7. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
8. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
9. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
10. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roylott used manipulation and persuasion to meet his goals and needs. What are some ways he did this, and how did these instances affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the twists in this strange case that surprised you, and why? What led up to those surprising moments?
Essay Topic 3
What were the different backgrounds of the characters in this plot, and how did these diverse backgrounds affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)