|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
2. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
3. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
4. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
5. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
2. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
3. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
4. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
5. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
6. What did Helen think her sister died from?
7. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
8. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
9. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
10. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Helen experiences some moments of deep despair in this book. What are some of these moments, what caused them, and how did her reaction to this despair shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)