|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Julia's last words?
2. How did the young lady's butler die?
3. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
4. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
5. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
2. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
3. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
4. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
5. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
6. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
7. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
8. What killed Julia and Roylott?
9. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
10. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
Essay Topic 1
Helen endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Watson was a very objective observer of this case. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation influence the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)