|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the bruising on Helen?
2. What is the name of the young lady's step-father's estate?
3. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
4. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
5. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
2. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
3. What did Helen think her sister died from?
4. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
5. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
6. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
7. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
8. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
9. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
10. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the twists in this strange case that surprised you, and why? What led up to those surprising moments?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Helen come to Holmes for help, and what changed in her life due to this decision?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)