|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes first study when he gets to the house?
(a) The lawn.
(b) The scaffolding.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The window.
2. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
(a) She saw it herself.
(d) The police.
3. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
(a) All of these.
(b) A pipe.
(d) A cigarette.
4. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
(a) A week.
(b) 2 days.
(c) A day.
(d) 2 weeks.
5. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
(a) Her old bedroom.
(b) A room in the damaged wing.
(c) The inn.
(d) Her housekeeper's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
2. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
3. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
4. Where does the ventilator in Julia's room lead to?
5. What does Holmes tell Helen to do to protect herself from Roylott when he returns from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
2. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
3. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
4. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
5. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
6. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room, and what does Holmes think of this?
7. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
8. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
9. What killed Julia and Roylott?
10. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)