|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
(a) Being too risky with Helen's life.
(b) Not learning more about the snake.
(c) Jumping to conclusions.
(d) Not acting fast enough to save Roylott.
2. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He was surprisingly kind.
(b) He was very conceited towards the boy.
(c) He yelled and cursed at him.
(d) He ignored him.
3. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(a) Dr. Roylott's.
(c) The kitchen.
4. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
(a) He has a better plan than Roylott.
(b) He is smarter than Roylott.
(c) He knows Roylott's next move.
(d) He is calmer than Roylott.
5. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A ferret.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A monkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
2. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
3. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
4. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
5. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
2. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
3. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
4. What killed Julia and Roylott?
5. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
6. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
7. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
8. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
9. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
10. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)