|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
(a) They break down the fence.
(b) They climb a tree and jump over the fence.
(c) Through a hole in the fence.
(d) They climb the gate.
2. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
(a) Helen's room.
(b) The lawn.
(c) Julia's room.
(d) The ventilator.
3. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
4. What color is the house?
5. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) An angry man.
(d) A desperate man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does the signal come from Helen?
2. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
3. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
4. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
5. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes chastise himself for when he begins to tell Watson about how he solved the case?
2. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
3. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
4. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
5. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
6. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
7. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
8. How did Holmes say he knew he would find a ventilator between Julia and Roylott's room?
9. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
10. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)