|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
(a) The safe being closed.
(b) The vent being closed.
(c) The vent being opened.
(d) The window shutting.
2. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
(a) He was pulled at too quickly.
(b) He was angered by Holmes.
(c) He was hungry.
(d) He was scared.
3. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(d) Early afternoon.
4. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) The bell pull.
(b) A bottle of smelling salts.
(c) A gothic mirror.
(d) Many locks on the door.
5. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
2. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
3. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
4. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
5. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
2. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
3. What did the authorities decide after investigating Roylott's death?
4. How is Roylott acting when he gets back to his house?
5. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
6. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
7. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
8. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
9. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
10. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)