|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
(a) The blackening of her tongue.
(b) The swollen fingers.
(c) The puncture wounds.
(d) Her dilated pupils.
2. What does Holmes do after leaving Roylott's room?
3. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was made from two kinds of wood.
(b) It was clamped to the floor.
(c) It was oddly close to the window.
(d) It was cracked in the middle.
4. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
(a) He is engaged.
(b) They could get caught.
(c) It is dangerous.
(d) He might get in the way.
5. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
(a) An escape.
(b) Evidence of danger.
(c) More than Watson.
(d) Anything to hurt Helen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
2. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
3. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
4. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
5. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
2. What was Helen told to do after she got news of her step-father's death?
3. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
4. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
5. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
6. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
7. What caught Holmes's eye before leaving Roylott's room?
8. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
9. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
10. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)