|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
(a) 5 minutes.
(b) 10 seconds.
(c) 30 seconds.
(d) 10 minutes.
2. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
(a) Holmes says he will be useful.
(b) He wants to see the action.
(c) He wants to protect Helen.
(d) He doesn't want Holmes to be in danger.
3. What is the second room Holmes looks at inside the house?
(c) Dr. Roylott's.
(d) The housekeeper's.
4. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
(a) It is worm eaten.
(b) It has been scratched at.
(c) It has termites.
(d) It is severely warped.
5. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A ventilator shaft.
(b) Locks on the windows.
(c) A fake bell-pull.
(d) A hole in the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
2. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
3. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
4. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
5. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
2. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
3. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
4. What does Holmes do on the lawn after his investigation of Roylott's room?
5. How does Watson describe the estate belonging to Grimesby Roylott?
6. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room, and what does Holmes think of this?
7. What was Helen told to do after she got news of her step-father's death?
8. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
9. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
10. What does Holmes say to try and dissuade Watson from joining the plan that night, and how does Watson respond to this?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)