|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He yelled and cursed at him.
(b) He was very conceited towards the boy.
(c) He ignored him.
(d) He was surprisingly kind.
2. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(d) The next morning.
3. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(b) Early afternoon.
4. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
(a) They will endanger Helen.
(b) They will be caught.
(c) They could die.
(d) They will miss their chance.
5. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
(a) He is engaged.
(b) He might get in the way.
(c) They could get caught.
(d) It is dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
2. What time does the signal come from Helen?
3. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
4. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
5. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the coroner's office not figure out that Julia had been killed by a snake?
2. How is Roylott's bedroom described?
3. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
4. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
5. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
6. What killed Julia and Roylott?
7. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
8. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
9. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
10. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)