|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
2. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
(a) Not learning more about the snake.
(b) Jumping to conclusions.
(c) Being too risky with Helen's life.
(d) Not acting fast enough to save Roylott.
3. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Ringing a bell.
(b) Getting out of bed.
(c) Pulling the blinds.
(d) Hanging clothing.
4. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
(a) Every other day.
(b) Once a week.
(c) All the time.
5. What time does the signal come from Helen?
(a) 1:00 am.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 11:00 pm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
2. What does Helen say scares her most about her step-father?
3. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
4. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
5. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
2. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
3. What instructions does Holmes give Helen before he leaves to his Inn for the night?
4. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
5. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
6. Where does Holmes plan to spend that night, and why?
7. What about this crime did Holmes say was the most evil part?
8. How does Watson describe the whistling sound he hears in Julia's room?
9. What do Holmes and Watson see as they cross the lawn in the dark?
10. How does Helen react when she is told Roylott followed her to London?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)