|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
(a) Take comfort.
(c) Speak freely.
2. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
(b) His housekeeper.
(c) A local officer.
3. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 1 week.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 2 weeks.
4. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) Family genes.
(b) His greed and laziness.
(c) A viscious past.
(d) Paranoid tendencies.
5. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
(a) $450 a month.
(b) $350 a month.
(c) $150 a month.
(d) $250 a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
2. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
3. What does the man who comes into Holmes's house look like to Watson?
4. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
5. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
2. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
3. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
4. What kept Helen awake on the night her twin sister died?
5. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
6. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
7. Who are Roylott's only friends?
8. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
9. How does this book begin?
10. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)