|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
(a) 2:00 am.
(b) 3:00 am.
(c) 5:00 am.
(d) 4:00 am.
2. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
3. What caused the bruising on Helen?
(a) She fell down some stairs.
(b) Her stepfather.
(c) She did it to herself.
(d) She climbed out her window.
4. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
(a) Psychic abilities.
(b) Acute observance.
(c) Plain clues.
(d) Really good guesses.
5. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator live when this case took place?
2. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
3. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
4. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
5. What were Julia's last words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
2. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
3. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
4. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
5. How does this book begin?
6. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
7. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
8. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
9. What kept Helen awake on the night her twin sister died?
10. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)