|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) Helen's fiance.
(d) A butler at the Roylott house.
2. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) On horseback.
(c) On foot.
(d) By train.
3. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) This is all so confusing.
(b) We can help you, and soon.
(c) You should have come sooner.
(d) We haven't a moment to lose.
4. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
(b) Her fiance.
(c) A gypsy.
5. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(b) There is no change at all.
(c) A little hesitant.
(d) More interested.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
2. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
3. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
4. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
5. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Holmes say he knew he would find a ventilator between Julia and Roylott's room?
2. What happens when Holmes tries to open the window to Julia's room from the outside?
3. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
4. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
5. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
6. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
7. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
8. What does Holmes put on the bed before he puts the lamp out in Julia's room?
9. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
10. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)