|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
2. What does Holmes say Julia must have done just before she ran into the hall?
(a) Drank some alcohol.
(b) Opened her window.
(c) Lit a match to see something.
(d) Took off her clothes.
3. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A gypsie's garb.
(c) Something she had eaten.
(d) A specter.
4. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
5. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What came out of Julia's room when Helen was in the hall?
2. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
3. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
4. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
5. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
2. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
3. What did Helen think her sister died from?
4. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
5. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
6. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
7. How did Julia die?
8. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
9. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
10. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)