|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
(a) There was a bit of leather on her sleeve.
(b) There was mud on her skirts.
(c) He saw a wagon track on her skirt.
(d) She had a receipt.
2. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) A gypsie's garb.
(b) Something she had eaten.
(c) A specter.
(d) Dr. Roylott.
3. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
(a) In a carriage.
(b) By train.
(c) On horseback.
(d) On foot.
4. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
5. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
(b) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(c) There were less people to sustain on the income.
(d) There was a drop in military salaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Julia's last words?
2. What does Holmes say Julia must have done just before she ran into the hall?
3. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
4. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
5. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
2. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
3. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
4. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
5. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
6. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
7. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
8. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
9. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
10. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)