|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
(a) A storm.
(b) The singing of the gypsies.
(c) The roaring of animals.
(d) A tapping on her door.
2. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
(a) $250 a month.
(b) $150 a month.
(c) $450 a month.
(d) $350 a month.
3. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(b) Wandering salesmen.
4. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
(a) 6 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 5 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
5. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
(a) Run some errands.
(b) Speak with the police.
(c) Buy herself a weapon.
(d) Write a letter to her fiance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
2. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
3. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
4. What did Dr. Roylott use in an effort to revive Julia?
5. How does the visitor describe Holmes's ability to know so much about her without her saying anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
2. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
3. What did Helen think her sister died from?
4. Who are Roylott's only friends?
5. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
6. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
7. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
8. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
9. What did Helen's mother's will say?
10. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)