|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the big man get to Holmes's house?
(a) He read a map.
(b) He followed Helen.
(c) He asked a policeman.
(d) He used the business card Holmes had passed out.
2. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(b) Wandering salesmen.
3. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
(a) Her step-father has moved into her own room.
(b) Repairs are being done in her room.
(c) Her window is broken.
(d) She wants to put Julia in the past.
4. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
5. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
(b) Metallic clanging.
(c) Maniacal laughter.
(d) Creaking wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who comes into Holmes's house look like to Watson?
2. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
3. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
4. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
5. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Helen think her sister died from?
2. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
3. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
4. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
5. What did Helen's mother's will say?
6. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
7. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
8. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
9. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
10. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)