|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen describe what came out of Julia's room while Helen was in the hall?
2. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
(a) At the train station.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In the town.
(d) At the house.
3. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(b) Poison gas.
(d) A strike to the head.
4. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
(a) The sound of laughter.
(b) The letter opener.
(c) The match in her hand.
(d) Her nakedness.
5. Where did the narrator live when this case took place?
(a) Trafalgar Square.
(b) Sussex Village.
(c) Baker Street.
(d) Cosgrove Place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
2. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
3. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
4. What was Julia wearing when she died?
5. What is the last name of the young lady's step-father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
2. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
3. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
4. How does this book begin?
5. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
6. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
7. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
8. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
9. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
10. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)