|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(a) An animal.
(c) A gypsy.
2. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
3. What did Dr. Roylott use in an effort to revive Julia?
(b) Mint tea.
(c) Smelling salts.
(d) Cold water.
4. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
5. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(b) Wandering salesmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
2. What was the case about of the woman who referred the visitor to Holmes?
3. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
4. What is the name of the young lady?
5. Why did the coroner review Julia's death so thoroughly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
2. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
3. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
4. Why does Holmes tell Helen not to fear her step-father's intellect anymore?
5. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
6. How did Holmes figure out Roylott was using a snake?
7. What was Helen told to do after she got news of her step-father's death?
8. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
9. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
10. What did Helen think her sister died from?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)