|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A butler at the Roylott house.
(c) Helen's fiance.
(d) A gypsy.
2. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
(a) Run some errands.
(b) Speak with the police.
(c) Write a letter to her fiance.
(d) Buy herself a weapon.
3. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
(a) 250 pounds.
(b) 500 pounds.
(c) 1,000 pounds.
(d) 750 pounds.
4. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
(a) Her step-father has moved into her own room.
(b) Repairs are being done in her room.
(c) Her window is broken.
(d) She wants to put Julia in the past.
5. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A gypsie's garb.
(c) A specter.
(d) Something she had eaten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
2. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
3. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
4. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
5. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
2. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
3. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
4. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
5. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
6. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
7. How did Julia die?
8. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
9. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound that Helen heard?
10. What did Helen's mother's will say?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)