|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
(a) A high backed chair.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A door handle.
(d) A fire poker.
2. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We haven't a moment to lose.
(b) We can help you, and soon.
(c) You should have come sooner.
(d) This is all so confusing.
3. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
4. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
(a) The sound of breaking glass.
(b) The chiming of the clock.
(c) A knock at the door.
(d) Holmes standing over his bed.
5. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
2. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
3. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
4. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
5. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Roylott's only friends?
2. What caused Helen to come to Sherlock Holmes on that day?
3. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
4. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
5. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
6. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
7. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
8. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
9. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
10. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)