|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the young lady's butler die?
(a) He caught a fever.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was beaten to death.
(d) He was drowned.
2. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
(a) $500 a month.
(b) $750 a month.
(c) $1,000 a month.
(d) $1,250 a month.
3. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A letter opener.
(c) A match.
(d) A wine goblet.
4. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
5. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(a) Some tea.
(b) His walking shoes.
(c) A map of the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
2. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
3. What were Julia's last words?
4. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
5. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
2. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
3. Who are Roylott's only friends?
4. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
5. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
6. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
7. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
8. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
9. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
10. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)