|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
2. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(b) A strike to the head.
(d) Poison gas.
3. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
4. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
(a) There was mud on her skirts.
(b) He saw a wagon track on her skirt.
(c) There was a bit of leather on her sleeve.
(d) She had a receipt.
5. How did the young lady's mother die?
(a) She was attacked by dogs.
(b) She fell out a window.
(c) In a railway accident.
(d) In childbirth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the young lady's butler die?
2. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
3. Why did the twins always keep their windows tightly locked?
4. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
5. What is unique about the case written about in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
2. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
3. Aside from the money and the estate, what was the other legacy handed down to the Roylott men?
4. Who are Roylott's only friends?
5. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
6. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
7. How does this book begin?
8. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
9. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
10. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)