|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(b) A strike to the head.
(d) Poison gas.
2. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
3. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
(a) A toothbrush and a revolver.
(b) A dagger and a cloak.
(c) A hairbrush and a cane.
(d) His medical bag and some shoes.
4. What does the man who comes into Holmes's house look like to Watson?
(a) A devil and a saint.
(b) A desperate man and a genius.
(c) A farmer and a businessman.
(d) A prisoner and a detective.
5. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
2. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
3. During what month does this book begin?
4. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
5. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
2. How does Watson describe his first encounter with Dr. Roylott?
3. What did the coroner find after examining Julia?
4. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
5. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
6. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
7. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
8. What did Helen's mother's will say?
9. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
10. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)