|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
2. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
(a) He saw a wagon track on her skirt.
(b) There was a bit of leather on her sleeve.
(c) She had a receipt.
(d) There was mud on her skirts.
3. What did Dr. Roylott use in an effort to revive Julia?
(b) Cold water.
(c) Mint tea.
(d) Smelling salts.
4. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
5. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
(a) 5 weeks.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen hear on the morning she went to see Sherlock Holmes?
2. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
3. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
4. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
5. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
2. What is worrying Helen about her engagement?
3. What effect did Dr, Roylott's outburst have on Holmes?
4. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
5. What does Holmes do when he hears that Julia died?
6. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
7. What kept Helen awake on the night her twin sister died?
8. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
9. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
10. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)