|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(a) A map of the country.
(b) His walking shoes.
(c) Some tea.
2. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) The shuttered window.
(b) The bars in the chimney.
(c) A mechanical device.
(d) Some crawling in the air ducts.
3. During what month does this book begin?
4. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
(a) A local officer.
(b) His housekeeper.
5. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
(a) His time in the military.
(b) Living in the tropics.
(c) Living in poverty.
(d) The untimely death of her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
2. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
3. How did the young lady's mother die?
4. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
5. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
2. What does Holmes notice on Helen's wrist, and what is said after this discovery?
3. What was Julia wearing and holding when she died?
4. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
5. Who are Roylott's only friends?
6. What does Holmes do as he is driven out to the house, and what does this mean?
7. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
8. What did Holmes find out about Helen's mother's will?
9. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
10. What does Roylott say and do just before he leaves Holmes's house?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)