|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time does Holmes return from his researching?
(a) 2:00 pm.
(b) 1:00 pm.
(c) 11:00 am.
2. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
(b) A gypsy.
(d) Her fiance.
3. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 3 weeks.
4. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(a) More interested.
(c) There is no change at all.
(d) A little hesitant.
5. Why does Helen say she cannot be certain of what she heard in the hall that night?
(a) She was so frightened.
(b) There was a storm outside.
(c) There are so many doors in that great house.
(d) Her mind was on her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the Chimney not a valid entrance into Julia's room?
2. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
3. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
4. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
5. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange thing did Holmes notice about Julia's bed, and what does this mean for the case?
2. What was heard just after Holmes hit at the bell pull?
3. How does this book begin?
4. Why does Holmes not believe that repairs are being done on Helen's old room?
5. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
6. What did Helen hear when she left her room after hearing Julia scream?
7. What does Holmes do as Dr. Roylott insults him in his house?
8. What does Holmes ask of Watson after Helen leaves, and how does Watson respond?
9. Who are Roylott's only friends?
10. What happens when Holmes tries to use the bell-pull?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)