|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
(a) The Inn.
(b) His home in London.
(c) Her aunt's house.
(d) Her fiance's house.
2. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
(a) A pipe.
(c) All of these.
(d) A cigarette.
3. How often does the church clock chime?
(a) Every ten minutes.
(b) Every half hour.
(c) Every hour.
(d) Every quarter hour.
4. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) He is engaged.
(c) They could get caught.
(d) He might get in the way.
5. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(a) The next morning.
6. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A dog.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A cat.
7. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
8. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
(a) He was hungry.
(b) He was pulled at too quickly.
(c) He was angered by Holmes.
(d) He was scared.
9. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was oddly close to the window.
(b) It was cracked in the middle.
(c) It was clamped to the floor.
(d) It was made from two kinds of wood.
10. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A ventilator shaft.
(b) Locks on the windows.
(c) A fake bell-pull.
(d) A hole in the wall.
11. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
(a) His knowledge of human nature.
(b) Past theories.
12. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
(b) She saw it herself.
(c) The police.
13. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She is very tired.
(b) She needs some time alone.
(c) She has a headache.
(d) She wants to do some reading.
14. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
15. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
(a) A week.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
2. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
3. How does Helen feel when she hears that Roylott followed her to Holmes's house?
4. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
5. What does Holmes first study when he gets to the house?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)