|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
(a) They break down the fence.
(b) They climb the gate.
(c) Through a hole in the fence.
(d) They climb a tree and jump over the fence.
2. Where did the snake come from?
(b) South America.
3. What is the second room Holmes looks at inside the house?
(a) The housekeeper's.
(d) Dr. Roylott's.
4. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) The doctor's bag.
(b) A pillow sham.
(c) The safe.
(d) A wicker chair.
5. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
(a) Milk droplets.
(b) Snake scales.
(d) Foot prints.
6. What does Helen say scares her most about her step-father?
(a) He has no guilt.
(b) He is smart.
(c) He is desperate.
(d) He is very persuasive.
7. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
(a) A humming child.
(b) A tea kettle.
(c) A squeaking hinge.
(d) A wind blown shutter.
8. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
(a) The bed.
(b) The wooden chair.
(c) The safe.
(d) The window pane.
9. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
10. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Getting out of bed.
(b) Ringing a bell.
(c) Pulling the blinds.
(d) Hanging clothing.
11. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
(a) 5 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 3 hours.
12. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
(a) It has been scratched at.
(b) It is severely warped.
(c) It has termites.
(d) It is worm eaten.
13. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
(a) The inn.
(b) Her housekeeper's room.
(c) A room in the damaged wing.
(d) Her old bedroom.
14. What made the whistling sound?
(a) A penny whistle.
(c) A tea kettle.
(d) A creaky hinge.
15. How long before Julia's death was the bell-pull installed?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the bell pull act as for the snake?
2. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
3. What did Roylott keep in his safe?
4. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
5. How often does the church clock chime?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)