|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A ventilator shaft.
(b) Locks on the windows.
(c) A fake bell-pull.
(d) A hole in the wall.
2. What did the authorities decide after reviewing Roylott's death?
(a) He ingested the same poison as Julia did.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) A gypsy let the snake in.
(d) He died while being careless with his animal.
3. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She needs some time alone.
(c) She is very tired.
(d) She wants to do some reading.
4. What did Roylott keep in his safe?
(a) The snake.
(c) His wife's will.
(d) His doctorate license.
5. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(a) Four times.
(d) Three times.
6. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The King.
(b) The Crumb.
(c) The Crown.
(d) The Kiss.
7. What killed Julia?
(a) A deadly spider.
(b) A cobra.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A swamp adder.
8. What time does the signal come from Helen?
(a) 1:00 am.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 11:00 pm.
9. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He was surprisingly kind.
(b) He was very conceited towards the boy.
(c) He yelled and cursed at him.
(d) He ignored him.
10. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
(a) Once a week.
(b) All the time.
(d) Every other day.
11. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was clamped to the floor.
(b) It was cracked in the middle.
(c) It was made from two kinds of wood.
(d) It was oddly close to the window.
12. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
13. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
(a) They will be caught.
(b) They could die.
(c) They will endanger Helen.
(d) They will miss their chance.
14. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
(a) The window shutting.
(b) The vent being opened.
(c) The vent being closed.
(d) The safe being closed.
15. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
(a) Their shoes.
(b) Their coats.
(c) Their hats.
(d) Their gloves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes use to put the deadly creature back in it's place?
2. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
3. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
4. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
5. What does Helen say is inside the safe in Roylott's room?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)