|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Getting out of bed.
(b) Pulling the blinds.
(c) Ringing a bell.
(d) Hanging clothing.
2. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
3. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(a) Early afternoon.
4. What killed Julia?
(a) A swamp adder.
(b) A deadly spider.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A cobra.
5. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
(a) His knowledge of human nature.
(c) Past theories.
6. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A ferret.
(b) A cat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A monkey.
7. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) On the corner of the bed.
(b) Behind a curtain.
(c) On top of the safe.
(d) In a cane.
8. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
(a) Her old bedroom.
(b) Her housekeeper's room.
(c) The inn.
(d) A room in the damaged wing.
9. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
(a) Light a lantern in her room.
(b) Open her window.
(c) Draw her curtains.
(d) Light a large fire in her hearth.
10. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Dr. Roylott's.
11. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
(a) 5 minutes.
(b) 10 seconds.
(c) 30 seconds.
(d) 10 minutes.
12. What does Watson say the house is shaped like?
(a) A prison.
(b) A boulder.
(c) A crab.
(d) A spider.
13. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
(a) Evidence of danger.
(b) An escape.
(c) More than Watson.
(d) Anything to hurt Helen.
14. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
15. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
2. Where does Holmes go after hitting at the bell pull?
3. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
4. Where does the ventilator in Julia's room lead to?
5. How does Holmes describe the murder of Julia?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)