|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A book and a box of pills.
(b) A cane and a candle.
(c) A knife and a rope.
(d) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
2. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
3. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
(a) A club.
(b) His cane.
(c) His shoes.
(d) The chair.
4. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
(a) An angry man.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A desperate man.
(d) A doctor.
5. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
(a) Snake scales.
(c) Milk droplets.
(d) Foot prints.
6. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
(a) They climb a tree and jump over the fence.
(b) Through a hole in the fence.
(c) They break down the fence.
(d) They climb the gate.
7. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Hanging clothing.
(b) Ringing a bell.
(c) Getting out of bed.
(d) Pulling the blinds.
8. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 5 hours.
(d) 4 hours.
9. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) A dog leash.
(b) A concealed dagger.
(c) An Indian book.
(d) A hole in the wall.
10. What does Holmes do after leaving Roylott's room?
11. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
(a) An escape.
(b) Evidence of danger.
(c) Anything to hurt Helen.
(d) More than Watson.
12. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
(b) His knowledge of human nature.
(c) Past theories.
13. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
14. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He ignored him.
(b) He yelled and cursed at him.
(c) He was surprisingly kind.
(d) He was very conceited towards the boy.
15. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Roylott keep in his safe?
2. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
3. When does Roylott get home from the city?
4. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
5. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)