|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She wants to do some reading.
(b) She is very tired.
(c) She needs some time alone.
(d) She has a headache.
2. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
3. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Pulling the blinds.
(b) Ringing a bell.
(c) Getting out of bed.
(d) Hanging clothing.
4. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) The wall does not need repairs.
(b) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(c) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(d) There are no workers there.
5. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 10 seconds.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) 30 seconds.
6. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
(b) A book and a box of pills.
(c) A cane and a candle.
(d) A knife and a rope.
7. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A cat.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A dog.
8. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(a) Strange noises.
(c) Light from Roylott's room.
(d) Cigar smoke.
9. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A jar of ink.
(c) A saucer of milk.
(d) Some jerked beef.
10. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) The bell pull.
(b) Many locks on the door.
(c) A bottle of smelling salts.
(d) A gothic mirror.
11. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
(a) Her aunt's house.
(b) The Inn.
(c) Her fiance's house.
(d) His home in London.
12. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
(a) The vent being closed.
(b) The safe being closed.
(c) The vent being opened.
(d) The window shutting.
13. What did Roylott keep in his safe?
(a) His doctorate license.
(c) His wife's will.
(d) The snake.
14. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
15. What did the authorities decide after reviewing Roylott's death?
(a) A gypsy let the snake in.
(b) He ingested the same poison as Julia did.
(c) He died while being careless with his animal.
(d) He had a heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
2. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
3. Where does Holmes go after hitting at the bell pull?
4. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
5. Where does the ventilator in Julia's room lead to?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)