|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
(a) The window pane.
(b) The safe.
(c) The bed.
(d) The wooden chair.
2. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A fake bell-pull.
(b) A ventilator shaft.
(c) A hole in the wall.
(d) Locks on the windows.
3. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
(a) He did not tell the authorities when he knew what the danger was.
(b) He did not warn Roylott.
(c) He did not kill the snake when he had the chance.
(d) He angered the snake.
4. What is wrapped around Roylott's neck when Holmes enters his room?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A noose.
(c) A bandana.
(d) A snake.
5. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
6. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(b) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(c) There are no workers there.
(d) The wall does not need repairs.
7. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(c) The next morning.
8. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
(a) They will be caught.
(b) They will miss their chance.
(c) They will endanger Helen.
(d) They could die.
9. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A cigarette.
(d) All of these.
10. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(b) Strange noises.
(c) Cigar smoke.
(d) Light from Roylott's room.
11. What time does the signal come from Helen?
(b) 1:00 am.
(c) 10:00 pm.
(d) 11:00 pm.
12. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
(a) The blackening of her tongue.
(b) The swollen fingers.
(c) Her dilated pupils.
(d) The puncture wounds.
13. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
(a) A day bed.
(b) A small cot.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A canopy bed.
14. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 5 minutes.
(c) 30 seconds.
(d) 10 seconds.
15. What does Holmes do after leaving Roylott's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
2. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
3. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
4. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
5. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)