|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The Crumb.
(b) The King.
(c) The Kiss.
(d) The Crown.
2. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
(a) A wind blown shutter.
(b) A humming child.
(c) A tea kettle.
(d) A squeaking hinge.
3. Where was Holmes when he told Watson how he figured out this case?
(a) In Roylott's room.
(b) On a train.
(c) At their apartment on Baker street.
(d) In the Inn.
4. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) A concealed dagger.
(b) An Indian book.
(c) A dog leash.
(d) A hole in the wall.
5. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Ringing a bell.
(b) Hanging clothing.
(c) Pulling the blinds.
(d) Getting out of bed.
6. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(b) Strange noises.
(c) Light from Roylott's room.
(d) Cigar smoke.
7. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
(a) Julia's room.
(b) The lawn.
(c) Helen's room.
(d) The ventilator.
8. How many times has Helen seen the inside of Roylott's safe?
(a) Four times.
(d) Three times.
9. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
(a) He wants to protect Helen.
(b) He wants to see the action.
(c) Holmes says he will be useful.
(d) He doesn't want Holmes to be in danger.
10. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He ignored him.
(b) He was surprisingly kind.
(c) He was very conceited towards the boy.
(d) He yelled and cursed at him.
11. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
(b) A knife and a rope.
(c) A book and a box of pills.
(d) A cane and a candle.
12. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
(a) He might get in the way.
(b) It is dangerous.
(c) He is engaged.
(d) They could get caught.
13. What color is the house?
14. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) The safe.
(b) A pillow sham.
(c) The doctor's bag.
(d) A wicker chair.
15. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
(a) The police.
(d) She saw it herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the authorities decide after reviewing Roylott's death?
2. How does Holmes describe the murder of Julia?
3. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
4. What was the whistling sound for?
5. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)