|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
(a) Julia's room.
(b) The ventilator.
(c) Helen's room.
(d) The lawn.
2. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(b) The next morning.
3. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) There are no workers there.
(b) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(c) The wall does not need repairs.
(d) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
4. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
(a) They will be caught.
(b) They will miss their chance.
(c) They could die.
(d) They will endanger Helen.
5. How long before Julia's death was the bell-pull installed?
(a) A day.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A week.
6. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A jar of ink.
(c) A saucer of milk.
(d) Some jerked beef.
7. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
(a) It is dangerous.
(b) He might get in the way.
(c) He is engaged.
(d) They could get caught.
8. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(d) Early afternoon.
9. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
(a) The wooden chair.
(b) The safe.
(c) The bed.
(d) The window pane.
10. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(b) Four times.
(d) Three times.
11. What is the second room Holmes looks at inside the house?
(b) Dr. Roylott's.
(c) The housekeeper's.
12. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
13. What does Holmes tell Helen to do to protect herself from Roylott when he returns from town?
(a) Never be alone with him.
(b) Lock her door.
(c) Keep a fire in her hearth.
(d) Arm herself.
14. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She wants to do some reading.
(b) She needs some time alone.
(c) She has a headache.
(d) She is very tired.
15. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the whistling sound?
2. How does Helen feel when she hears that Roylott followed her to Holmes's house?
3. Where does Holmes go after hitting at the bell pull?
4. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
5. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)