|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) A bottle of smelling salts.
(b) A gothic mirror.
(c) Many locks on the door.
(d) The bell pull.
2. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Ringing a bell.
(b) Pulling the blinds.
(c) Hanging clothing.
(d) Getting out of bed.
3. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was made from two kinds of wood.
(b) It was clamped to the floor.
(c) It was cracked in the middle.
(d) It was oddly close to the window.
4. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
(b) Once a week.
(c) Every other day.
(d) All the time.
5. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
(a) A canopy bed.
(b) A camp bed.
(c) A day bed.
(d) A small cot.
6. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
7. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A dog.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A cat.
8. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
(a) They could get caught.
(b) He might get in the way.
(c) He is engaged.
(d) It is dangerous.
9. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
10. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He was surprisingly kind.
(b) He yelled and cursed at him.
(c) He ignored him.
(d) He was very conceited towards the boy.
11. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
(a) He wants to see the action.
(b) Holmes says he will be useful.
(c) He doesn't want Holmes to be in danger.
(d) He wants to protect Helen.
12. What does Holmes tell Helen to do to protect herself from Roylott when he returns from town?
(a) Arm herself.
(b) Lock her door.
(c) Keep a fire in her hearth.
(d) Never be alone with him.
13. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The Crown.
(b) The Crumb.
(c) The King.
(d) The Kiss.
14. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
15. What color is the house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
2. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
3. How long before Julia's death was the bell-pull installed?
4. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
5. When does Roylott get home from the city?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)