|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
(a) The inn.
(b) Her housekeeper's room.
(c) A room in the damaged wing.
(d) Her old bedroom.
2. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
3. What did the snake get every time it returned from Julia's room?
(a) A rat.
(b) Time outside.
4. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(a) The next morning.
5. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(c) Early afternoon.
6. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) Behind a curtain.
(b) On top of the safe.
(c) In a cane.
(d) On the corner of the bed.
7. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) The doctor's bag.
(b) The safe.
(c) A wicker chair.
(d) A pillow sham.
8. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
(a) Her aunt's house.
(b) His home in London.
(c) Her fiance's house.
(d) The Inn.
9. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
(a) Jumping to conclusions.
(b) Being too risky with Helen's life.
(c) Not acting fast enough to save Roylott.
(d) Not learning more about the snake.
10. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
(a) A tea kettle.
(b) A squeaking hinge.
(c) A humming child.
(d) A wind blown shutter.
11. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The Crown.
(b) The King.
(c) The Kiss.
(d) The Crumb.
12. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(b) The wall does not need repairs.
(c) There are no workers there.
(d) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
13. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
14. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(a) Light from Roylott's room.
(b) Cigar smoke.
(c) Strange noises.
15. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A dog.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Holmes say it took Roylott to die?
2. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
3. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
4. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
5. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)