|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) In a cane.
(b) Behind a curtain.
(c) On top of the safe.
(d) On the corner of the bed.
2. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
3. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(b) Early afternoon.
4. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Dr. Roylott's.
5. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
(a) He doesn't want Holmes to be in danger.
(b) Holmes says he will be useful.
(c) He wants to see the action.
(d) He wants to protect Helen.
6. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
(a) He was angered by Holmes.
(b) He was hungry.
(c) He was pulled at too quickly.
(d) He was scared.
7. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Pulling the blinds.
(b) Ringing a bell.
(c) Getting out of bed.
(d) Hanging clothing.
8. Where did the snake come from?
(d) South America.
9. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
10. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
11. What does Holmes do after leaving Roylott's room?
12. What time does the signal come from Helen?
(a) 1:00 am.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 11:00 pm.
13. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was oddly close to the window.
(b) It was clamped to the floor.
(c) It was made from two kinds of wood.
(d) It was cracked in the middle.
14. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
(a) Open her window.
(b) Draw her curtains.
(c) Light a large fire in her hearth.
(d) Light a lantern in her room.
15. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
(a) A canopy bed.
(b) A day bed.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A small cot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
2. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
3. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
4. What does Holmes use to put the deadly creature back in it's place?
5. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)