|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) The wall does not need repairs.
(b) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(c) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(d) There are no workers there.
2. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
(a) Her old bedroom.
(b) A room in the damaged wing.
(c) The inn.
(d) Her housekeeper's room.
3. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) A gothic mirror.
(b) A bottle of smelling salts.
(c) The bell pull.
(d) Many locks on the door.
4. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
(a) A small cot.
(b) A canopy bed.
(c) A camp bed.
(d) A day bed.
5. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) A dog leash.
(b) A concealed dagger.
(c) An Indian book.
(d) A hole in the wall.
6. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
(a) The window shutting.
(b) The safe being closed.
(c) The vent being opened.
(d) The vent being closed.
7. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
(a) They climb a tree and jump over the fence.
(b) They break down the fence.
(c) Through a hole in the fence.
(d) They climb the gate.
8. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(b) Three times.
(d) Four times.
9. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A cat.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A ferret.
(d) A dog.
10. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) A wicker chair.
(b) A pillow sham.
(c) The doctor's bag.
(d) The safe.
11. What does Holmes tell Helen to do to protect herself from Roylott when he returns from town?
(a) Keep a fire in her hearth.
(b) Arm herself.
(c) Never be alone with him.
(d) Lock her door.
12. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He ignored him.
(b) He yelled and cursed at him.
(c) He was very conceited towards the boy.
(d) He was surprisingly kind.
13. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A hole in the wall.
(b) A fake bell-pull.
(c) Locks on the windows.
(d) A ventilator shaft.
14. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
(a) Evidence of danger.
(b) More than Watson.
(c) Anything to hurt Helen.
(d) An escape.
15. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Dr. Roylott's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
2. When does Roylott get home from the city?
3. What made the whistling sound?
4. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
5. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)