|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
2. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
3. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A fake bell-pull.
(b) A ventilator shaft.
(c) Locks on the windows.
(d) A hole in the wall.
4. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
(a) Holmes says he will be useful.
(b) He doesn't want Holmes to be in danger.
(c) He wants to see the action.
(d) He wants to protect Helen.
5. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(a) Four times.
(d) Three times.
6. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
(b) Snake scales.
(c) Foot prints.
(d) Milk droplets.
7. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
(a) Their hats.
(b) Their coats.
(c) Their shoes.
(d) Their gloves.
8. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
(a) Not learning more about the snake.
(b) Jumping to conclusions.
(c) Being too risky with Helen's life.
(d) Not acting fast enough to save Roylott.
9. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(a) Dr. Roylott's.
(d) The kitchen.
10. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) The wall does not need repairs.
(b) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(c) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(d) There are no workers there.
11. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
(a) A humming child.
(b) A wind blown shutter.
(c) A tea kettle.
(d) A squeaking hinge.
12. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
13. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
(a) He is calmer than Roylott.
(b) He has a better plan than Roylott.
(c) He knows Roylott's next move.
(d) He is smarter than Roylott.
14. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
(a) A saucer of milk.
(b) A bottle of brandy.
(c) Some jerked beef.
(d) A jar of ink.
15. What is the second room Holmes looks at inside the house?
(a) The housekeeper's.
(d) Dr. Roylott's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the house?
2. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
3. What time does the signal come from Helen?
4. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
5. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)