|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(b) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(c) There are no workers there.
(d) The wall does not need repairs.
2. What was the whistling sound for?
(a) Getting the snake to come back.
(b) Keeping the snake calm.
(c) Rewarding the snake.
(d) Sending the snake off.
3. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
(a) Their coats.
(b) Their shoes.
(c) Their gloves.
(d) Their hats.
4. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A ventilator shaft.
(b) Locks on the windows.
(c) A hole in the wall.
(d) A fake bell-pull.
5. What does Helen say is inside the safe in Roylott's room?
(a) Stragely shaped packets.
(c) His guns.
(d) Business papers.
6. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Getting out of bed.
(b) Ringing a bell.
(c) Hanging clothing.
(d) Pulling the blinds.
7. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
8. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She wants to do some reading.
(b) She has a headache.
(c) She is very tired.
(d) She needs some time alone.
9. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
(a) A humming child.
(b) A wind blown shutter.
(c) A squeaking hinge.
(d) A tea kettle.
10. What does Holmes use to put the deadly creature back in it's place?
(a) The dog leash.
(b) The saucer of milk.
(c) A fire poker.
(d) His cane.
11. Where was Holmes when he told Watson how he figured out this case?
(a) At their apartment on Baker street.
(b) In the Inn.
(c) In Roylott's room.
(d) On a train.
12. How often does the church clock chime?
(a) Every ten minutes.
(b) Every quarter hour.
(c) Every hour.
(d) Every half hour.
13. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A knife and a rope.
(b) A book and a box of pills.
(c) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
(d) A cane and a candle.
14. Why does Watson insist on being involved in the plan that night?
(a) He wants to see the action.
(b) He wants to protect Helen.
(c) He doesn't want Holmes to be in danger.
(d) Holmes says he will be useful.
15. Where does the ventilator in Julia's room lead to?
(a) The hall way.
(b) The outside air.
(c) Dr. Roylott's room.
(d) Helen's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
2. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
3. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
4. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
5. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)