|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson say the house is shaped like?
(a) A boulder.
(b) A spider.
(c) A prison.
(d) A crab.
2. Where does Holmes go after hitting at the bell pull?
(a) Roylott's room.
(b) Down the hall.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Helen's room.
3. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
(a) He did not kill the snake when he had the chance.
(b) He did not tell the authorities when he knew what the danger was.
(c) He did not warn Roylott.
(d) He angered the snake.
4. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) There are no workers there.
(b) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(c) The wall does not need repairs.
(d) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
5. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
(a) Draw her curtains.
(b) Light a lantern in her room.
(c) Open her window.
(d) Light a large fire in her hearth.
6. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
7. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A cane and a candle.
(b) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
(c) A knife and a rope.
(d) A book and a box of pills.
8. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
(a) Her fiance's house.
(b) Her aunt's house.
(c) His home in London.
(d) The Inn.
9. What color is the house?
10. What made the whistling sound?
(a) A creaky hinge.
(b) A tea kettle.
(c) A penny whistle.
11. How long before Julia's death was the bell-pull installed?
(a) A day.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A week.
12. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
(a) The safe.
(b) The bed.
(c) The wooden chair.
(d) The window pane.
13. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
(c) She saw it herself.
(d) The police.
14. How do Holmes and Watson get onto the property at night?
(a) They climb a tree and jump over the fence.
(b) They break down the fence.
(c) They climb the gate.
(d) Through a hole in the fence.
15. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(b) The kitchen.
(d) Dr. Roylott's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes first study when he gets to the house?
2. What is wrapped around Roylott's neck when Holmes enters his room?
3. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
4. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
5. What does Helen say is inside the safe in Roylott's room?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)