|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made the whistling sound?
(b) A tea kettle.
(c) A penny whistle.
(d) A creaky hinge.
2. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
(a) His cane.
(b) The chair.
(c) His shoes.
(d) A club.
3. How does Helen feel when she hears that Roylott followed her to Holmes's house?
(a) Not surprised.
4. What time does the signal come from Helen?
(a) 11:00 pm.
(b) 1:00 am.
(d) 10:00 pm.
5. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
6. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
(a) Her old bedroom.
(b) Her housekeeper's room.
(c) A room in the damaged wing.
(d) The inn.
7. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
8. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
(a) He is smarter than Roylott.
(b) He has a better plan than Roylott.
(c) He is calmer than Roylott.
(d) He knows Roylott's next move.
9. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
(a) They will miss their chance.
(b) They will be caught.
(c) They will endanger Helen.
(d) They could die.
10. What did the bell pull act as for the snake?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A signal.
(c) A hiding place.
(d) A resting spot.
11. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
12. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was cracked in the middle.
(b) It was made from two kinds of wood.
(c) It was clamped to the floor.
(d) It was oddly close to the window.
13. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 days.
(c) A day.
(d) A week.
14. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(a) Cigar smoke.
(b) Light from Roylott's room.
(c) Strange noises.
15. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
(a) Julia's room.
(b) The ventilator.
(c) The lawn.
(d) Helen's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
2. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
3. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
4. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
5. What does Helen say scares her most about her step-father?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)