|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
(a) It has been scratched at.
(b) It is severely warped.
(c) It is worm eaten.
(d) It has termites.
2. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
(a) He angered the snake.
(b) He did not kill the snake when he had the chance.
(c) He did not warn Roylott.
(d) He did not tell the authorities when he knew what the danger was.
3. How is Helen supposed to give the all-clear signal?
(a) Light a lantern in her room.
(b) Light a large fire in her hearth.
(c) Draw her curtains.
(d) Open her window.
4. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The Crown.
(b) The Kiss.
(c) The King.
(d) The Crumb.
5. What kind of safe does Roylott keep in his room?
6. What is the second room Holmes looks at inside the house?
(a) The housekeeper's.
(c) Dr. Roylott's.
7. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
(b) A cane and a candle.
(c) A book and a box of pills.
(d) A knife and a rope.
8. What caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) A hole in the wall.
(b) A concealed dagger.
(c) An Indian book.
(d) A dog leash.
9. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
10. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
(a) They could die.
(b) They will miss their chance.
(c) They will be caught.
(d) They will endanger Helen.
11. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
12. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
(a) Her aunt's house.
(b) His home in London.
(c) Her fiance's house.
(d) The Inn.
13. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
14. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(b) Strange noises.
(c) Cigar smoke.
(d) Light from Roylott's room.
15. How long before Julia's death was the bell-pull installed?
(a) A week.
(b) 2 days.
(c) A day.
(d) 2 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
2. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
3. When does Roylott get home from the city?
4. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
5. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)