|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the snake come from?
(c) South America.
2. What does Holmes say Julia did NOT die from?
3. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
(a) More than Watson.
(b) Evidence of danger.
(c) An escape.
(d) Anything to hurt Helen.
4. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
5. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
6. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
(b) His knowledge of human nature.
(c) Past theories.
7. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She has a headache.
(b) She needs some time alone.
(c) She wants to do some reading.
(d) She is very tired.
8. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
9. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
(a) A squeaking hinge.
(b) A tea kettle.
(c) A humming child.
(d) A wind blown shutter.
10. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
(a) 3 hours.
(b) 4 hours.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 5 hours.
11. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
(a) It is severely warped.
(b) It has been scratched at.
(c) It is worm eaten.
(d) It has termites.
12. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) The doctor's bag.
(b) A wicker chair.
(c) The safe.
(d) A pillow sham.
13. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
(a) He was scared.
(b) He was angered by Holmes.
(c) He was pulled at too quickly.
(d) He was hungry.
14. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
(a) A small cot.
(b) A day bed.
(c) A canopy bed.
(d) A camp bed.
15. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
(a) It was oddly close to the window.
(b) It was made from two kinds of wood.
(c) It was clamped to the floor.
(d) It was cracked in the middle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
2. What did the bell pull act as for the snake?
3. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
4. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
5. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)