|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) Many locks on the door.
(b) A gothic mirror.
(c) The bell pull.
(d) A bottle of smelling salts.
2. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
(c) The police.
(d) She saw it herself.
3. Where was the item that caught Holmes's eye at the end of Section 5?
(a) On top of the safe.
(b) Behind a curtain.
(c) In a cane.
(d) On the corner of the bed.
4. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The Crown.
(b) The King.
(c) The Kiss.
(d) The Crumb.
5. What was the metal clanging Helen heard the night Julia died?
(a) The safe being closed.
(b) The vent being opened.
(c) The vent being closed.
(d) The window shutting.
6. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) A day.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A week.
7. Where does the ventilator in Julia's room lead to?
(a) Helen's room.
(b) The hall way.
(c) Dr. Roylott's room.
(d) The outside air.
8. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(c) The next morning.
9. What do Holmes and Watson take off before they enter the window to Julia's room?
(a) Their hats.
(b) Their shoes.
(c) Their coats.
(d) Their gloves.
10. What does Helen say is inside the safe in Roylott's room?
(a) Business papers.
(b) Stragely shaped packets.
(c) His guns.
11. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
(a) Being too risky with Helen's life.
(b) Not acting fast enough to save Roylott.
(c) Jumping to conclusions.
(d) Not learning more about the snake.
12. What bothered Julia when she was locked in her room at night?
(a) Strange noises.
(b) Light from Roylott's room.
(d) Cigar smoke.
13. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) A wicker chair.
(b) The safe.
(c) The doctor's bag.
(d) A pillow sham.
14. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
(a) His cane.
(b) The chair.
(c) A club.
(d) His shoes.
15. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) A ventilator shaft.
(b) A fake bell-pull.
(c) A hole in the wall.
(d) Locks on the windows.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
2. Where does Holmes tell Helen to spend the night after Roylott goes to sleep?
3. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
4. When does Roylott get home from the city?
5. What does Watson say the whistling sound is like?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)