|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal do Holmes and Watson see as they come across the lawn at night?
2. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
(a) He was very conceited towards the boy.
(b) He ignored him.
(c) He yelled and cursed at him.
(d) He was surprisingly kind.
3. Why does Holmes not believe construction was needed on Helen's room?
(a) There are no workers there.
(b) The scaffolding is not set up correctly.
(c) Nothing has been moved out of the room.
(d) The wall does not need repairs.
4. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A cane and a candle.
(b) A knife and a rope.
(c) A book and a box of pills.
(d) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
5. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A pipe.
(d) All of these.
6. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) The bell pull.
(b) Many locks on the door.
(c) A bottle of smelling salts.
(d) A gothic mirror.
7. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
(a) The blackening of her tongue.
(b) Her dilated pupils.
(c) The swollen fingers.
(d) The puncture wounds.
8. What does Holmes use to put the deadly creature back in it's place?
(a) A fire poker.
(b) The saucer of milk.
(c) His cane.
(d) The dog leash.
9. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
(a) Snake scales.
(c) Foot prints.
(d) Milk droplets.
10. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(b) Four times.
(c) Three times.
11. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
12. What did the bell pull act as for the snake?
(a) A hiding place.
(b) A signal.
(c) A resting spot.
(d) A bridge.
13. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
(a) The doctor's bag.
(b) The safe.
(c) A pillow sham.
(d) A wicker chair.
14. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Getting out of bed.
(b) Ringing a bell.
(c) Hanging clothing.
(d) Pulling the blinds.
15. How many times has Helen seen the inside of Roylott's safe?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
2. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
3. What did Holmes notice about Julia's bed?
4. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
5. What made the whistling sound?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)