|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Ringing a bell.
(b) Getting out of bed.
(c) Hanging clothing.
(d) Pulling the blinds.
2. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
(a) He is smarter than Roylott.
(b) He has a better plan than Roylott.
(c) He is calmer than Roylott.
(d) He knows Roylott's next move.
3. What is sitting on top of the safe in Roylott's room?
(a) A bottle of brandy.
(b) A jar of ink.
(c) A saucer of milk.
(d) Some jerked beef.
4. What does Holmes examine before he finishes his study of Roylott's room?
(a) The bed.
(b) The window pane.
(c) The wooden chair.
(d) The safe.
5. How does Helen feel when she hears that Roylott followed her to Holmes's house?
(c) Not surprised.
6. How does Holmes describe the murder of Julia?
7. What does Watson say was the only unusual thing he saw in Julia's room?
(a) A bottle of smelling salts.
(b) The bell pull.
(c) A gothic mirror.
(d) Many locks on the door.
8. What did the authorities decide after reviewing Roylott's death?
(a) A gypsy let the snake in.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He ingested the same poison as Julia did.
(d) He died while being careless with his animal.
9. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
(a) A club.
(b) His shoes.
(c) The chair.
(d) His cane.
10. What is the second room Holmes looks at inside the house?
(a) The housekeeper's.
(b) Dr. Roylott's.
11. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
12. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
13. When is Roylott expected back at the house on the day Holmes gets there?
(b) The next morning.
14. What is wrapped around Roylott's neck when Holmes enters his room?
(a) A snake.
(b) A bandana.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A noose.
15. What made the whistling sound?
(b) A tea kettle.
(c) A creaky hinge.
(d) A penny whistle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Watson and Holmes wait in Julia's dark room?
2. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
3. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
4. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
5. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)