|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does the church clock chime?
(a) Every half hour.
(b) Every hour.
(c) Every ten minutes.
(d) Every quarter hour.
2. What does Watson say the house is shaped like?
(a) A boulder.
(b) A spider.
(c) A prison.
(d) A crab.
3. What does Holmes do after leaving Roylott's room?
4. Where did Holmes send Helen after telling her what happened?
(a) Her fiance's house.
(b) The Inn.
(c) Her aunt's house.
(d) His home in London.
5. What is the rope hanging from the ceiling in Julia's room used for?
(a) Ringing a bell.
(b) Pulling the blinds.
(c) Hanging clothing.
(d) Getting out of bed.
6. What does Holmes say he did NOT see in the rooms?
(a) An escape.
(b) More than Watson.
(c) Anything to hurt Helen.
(d) Evidence of danger.
7. What is wrapped around Roylott's neck when Holmes enters his room?
(a) A bandana.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A noose.
(d) A snake.
8. Where does Holmes go after hitting at the bell pull?
(a) Out the window.
(b) Helen's room.
(c) Down the hall.
(d) Roylott's room.
9. Where was Holmes when he told Watson how he figured out this case?
(a) In Roylott's room.
(b) In the Inn.
(c) On a train.
(d) At their apartment on Baker street.
10. How many times does Holmes pound on Roylott's door before bursting in?
(c) Three times.
(d) Four times.
11. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
(a) He is smarter than Roylott.
(b) He has a better plan than Roylott.
(c) He knows Roylott's next move.
(d) He is calmer than Roylott.
12. Why did Holmes partially blame himself for Roylott's death?
(a) He angered the snake.
(b) He did not kill the snake when he had the chance.
(c) He did not warn Roylott.
(d) He did not tell the authorities when he knew what the danger was.
13. What two items does Holmes lay out on the bed as they wait in Julia's room?
(a) A knife and a rope.
(b) A cane and a candle.
(c) A lamp and a saucer of milk.
(d) A book and a box of pills.
14. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
(a) A week.
(b) A day.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
15. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A desperate man.
(d) An angry man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the creature that killed Julia kept?
2. What does Holmes chastise himself for while telling Watson how he solved the case?
3. What does Helen say scares her most about her step-father?
4. How many chairs are in Julia's room?
5. What was the whistling sound for?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)