|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before Julia's death was the ventilator installed?
(a) A week.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) A day.
2. What made the whistling sound?
(a) A creaky hinge.
(b) A tea kettle.
(c) A penny whistle.
3. What did the snake get every time it returned from Julia's room?
(a) Time outside.
(b) A rat.
4. What does Holmes say he used most to solve the case?
(c) Past theories.
(d) His knowledge of human nature.
5. What does Holmes say he will NOT feel much of about Roylott's death?
6. What word does Watson use to describe Holmes's face when something in Roylott's room catches his eye?
7. What color was the creature that killed Julia?
8. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
(a) The kitchen.
(d) Dr. Roylott's.
9. What is wrapped around Roylott's neck when Holmes enters his room?
(a) A noose.
(b) A snake.
(c) A bandana.
(d) A scarf.
10. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(c) Early afternoon.
11. What does Holmes use to put the deadly creature back in it's place?
(a) The dog leash.
(b) His cane.
(c) A fire poker.
(d) The saucer of milk.
12. What color is the house?
13. Why does Holmes say he knows he can defeat Roylott?
(a) He is calmer than Roylott.
(b) He is smarter than Roylott.
(c) He has a better plan than Roylott.
(d) He knows Roylott's next move.
14. What kind of man does Holmes say makes the most devious criminal?
(a) An angry man.
(b) A desperate man.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A soldier.
15. What does Holmes say he knew he would find in the house before he ever got to it?
(a) Locks on the windows.
(b) A fake bell-pull.
(c) A ventilator shaft.
(d) A hole in the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Helen of her stepfather's death?
2. What does Holmes first study when he gets to the house?
3. Why does Holmes hesitate about involving Watson in the night's plan?
4. What does Holmes like to smoke when he is thinking?
5. What does Holmes say will happen if Watson falls asleep in Julia's room?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)