|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal does Holmes ask about when he is looking at Roylott's room?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
2. What excuse is Helen supposed to use to get to her room early?
(a) She needs some time alone.
(b) She is very tired.
(c) She has a headache.
(d) She wants to do some reading.
3. How does Holmes feel when he is unable to open the windows from outside?
4. What does Holmes tell Helen to do to protect herself from Roylott when he returns from town?
(a) Never be alone with him.
(b) Keep a fire in her hearth.
(c) Lock her door.
(d) Arm herself.
5. Why did the snake bite Roylott?
(a) He was hungry.
(b) He was scared.
(c) He was angered by Holmes.
(d) He was pulled at too quickly.
6. How long before Julia's death was the bell-pull installed?
(a) 2 days.
(b) A day.
(c) A week.
(d) 2 weeks.
7. Where does Holmes want to look after something catches his eye in Roylott's room?
(a) Julia's room.
(b) Helen's room.
(c) The lawn.
(d) The ventilator.
8. Where was Holmes when he told Watson how he figured out this case?
(a) In the Inn.
(b) On a train.
(c) In Roylott's room.
(d) At their apartment on Baker street.
9. What kind of bed does Roylott sleep on?
(a) A canopy bed.
(b) A small cot.
(c) A day bed.
(d) A camp bed.
10. What killed Julia?
(a) A cobra.
(b) A swamp adder.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A deadly spider.
11. What is the name of the Inn Holmes and Watson will stay in that night?
(a) The Crown.
(b) The Kiss.
(c) The Crumb.
(d) The King.
12. When does Roylott get home from the city?
(b) Early afternoon.
13. What does Holmes hit the bell pull with when the whistling sound begins?
(a) The chair.
(b) A club.
(c) His cane.
(d) His shoes.
14. What did Holmes see on the chair in Roylott's room that proved his theory?
(b) Milk droplets.
(c) Snake scales.
(d) Foot prints.
15. How often did Helen say Julia used the rope hanging from the ceiling in her room?
(a) Every other day.
(c) Once a week.
(d) All the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first room in the house Holmes inspects?
2. How does Helen feel when she hears that Roylott followed her to Holmes's house?
3. What did the coroner's office miss while examining Julia's body?
4. How did Roylott treat the young boy driving his carriage?
5. What is wrong with the wood paneling in Julia's room?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)