|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 3 weeks.
2. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
(a) A toothbrush and a revolver.
(b) His medical bag and some shoes.
(c) A hairbrush and a cane.
(d) A dagger and a cloak.
3. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) A viscious past.
(b) His greed and laziness.
(c) Paranoid tendencies.
(d) Family genes.
4. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(d) Wandering salesmen.
5. Why did the coroner review Julia's death so thoroughly?
(a) Dr. Roylott had a bad reputation.
(b) Dr. Roylott forced him to.
(c) He very much cared for Julia.
(d) He could not figure out what killed her.
6. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
(a) Following Holmes's cases.
(b) Helping women in distress.
(c) Meeting new people.
7. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(c) An animal.
(d) A gypsy.
8. How did Helen describe what came out of Julia's room while Helen was in the hall?
9. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) A gypsie's garb.
(b) A specter.
(c) Something she had eaten.
(d) Dr. Roylott.
10. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
(a) He has more time on his hands.
(b) The woman he made the promise to had died.
(c) His wife asked him to.
(d) People are doubting Holmes's abilities.
11. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
(a) A storm.
(b) A tapping on her door.
(c) The singing of the gypsies.
(d) The roaring of animals.
12. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
13. Where did the narrator live when this case took place?
(a) Trafalgar Square.
(b) Sussex Village.
(c) Baker Street.
(d) Cosgrove Place.
14. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
(a) In town.
(b) With the gypsies.
(c) At a tavern.
(d) At the house.
15. What time does Holmes return from his researching?
(b) 11:00 am.
(c) 2:00 pm.
(d) 1:00 pm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
2. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
3. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
4. What was Julia wearing when she died?
5. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)