|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
(a) He never had time to write about it.
(b) He forgot about it.
(c) He was unsure if people would believe it.
(d) He made a promise of secrecy.
2. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
(a) With the gypsies.
(b) In town.
(c) At a tavern.
(d) At the house.
3. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
(a) A hairbrush and a cane.
(b) His medical bag and some shoes.
(c) A toothbrush and a revolver.
(d) A dagger and a cloak.
4. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
5. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
(a) Her wrists.
(b) Her face.
(c) Her ankles.
(d) Her fingers.
6. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
(a) 4:00 am.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 5:00 am.
(d) 3:00 am.
7. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
(a) The University.
(b) The Doctors Commons.
(c) A library.
(d) The morgue.
8. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
9. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
(a) People are doubting Holmes's abilities.
(b) He has more time on his hands.
(c) His wife asked him to.
(d) The woman he made the promise to had died.
10. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Ms. Frintlock.
(b) Ms. Franklin.
(c) Mrs. Farnsworth.
(d) Mrs. Farintosh.
11. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) Paranoid tendencies.
(b) Family genes.
(c) A viscious past.
(d) His greed and laziness.
12. What does the man who comes into Holmes's house look like to Watson?
(a) A farmer and a businessman.
(b) A prisoner and a detective.
(c) A desperate man and a genius.
(d) A devil and a saint.
13. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
14. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
(a) A match.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A wine goblet.
(d) A letter opener.
15. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(a) A little hesitant.
(b) There is no change at all.
(c) More interested.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
2. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
3. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
4. What did Helen think Julia died of?
5. How many wings of the step-father's estate are inhabitable?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)