|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the narrator?
(d) Police officer.
2. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
(a) Riotous living.
(c) Philanthropy unchecked.
3. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
(a) A butler at the Roylott house.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) Dr. Roylott.
(d) Helen's fiance.
4. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
5. What caused the bruising on Helen?
(a) Her stepfather.
(b) She fell down some stairs.
(c) She did it to herself.
(d) She climbed out her window.
6. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
7. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
(a) The sound of laughter.
(b) Her nakedness.
(c) The match in her hand.
(d) The letter opener.
8. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
9. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
(a) 250 pounds.
(b) 750 pounds.
(c) 500 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
10. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) Something she had eaten.
(c) A specter.
(d) A gypsie's garb.
11. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
12. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(b) More interested.
(c) A little hesitant.
(d) There is no change at all.
13. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
(a) 3:00 am.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 4:00 am.
(d) 5:00 am.
14. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(a) Wandering salesmen.
15. What did Helen hear on the morning she went to see Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Maniacal laughter.
(b) A cranking wood sound.
(c) A metal clanging.
(d) A high whistling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
2. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
3. How does the visitor describe Holmes's ability to know so much about her without her saying anything?
4. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
5. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)