|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
(a) Acute observance.
(b) Really good guesses.
(c) Psychic abilities.
(d) Plain clues.
2. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
(a) The money.
(b) His work.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Punishing villains.
3. How did the young lady's butler die?
(a) He was poisoned.
(b) He caught a fever.
(c) He was drowned.
(d) He was beaten to death.
4. What is the occupation of the narrator?
(c) Police officer.
5. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
(a) She wants to put Julia in the past.
(b) Her step-father has moved into her own room.
(c) Repairs are being done in her room.
(d) Her window is broken.
6. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(a) There is no change at all.
(c) A little hesitant.
(d) More interested.
7. What was the occupation of the man who wanted to marry the young lady's twin?
8. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A specter.
(c) A gypsie's garb.
(d) Something she had eaten.
9. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
10. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to bail him out of jail.
(b) She has had to repair the house.
(c) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
(d) She has had to pay court fees.
11. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
(a) Take comfort.
(c) Speak freely.
12. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(a) A gypsy.
(b) An animal.
13. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
(a) A letter opener.
(b) A wine goblet.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A match.
14. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
(a) $500 a month.
(b) $750 a month.
(c) $1,250 a month.
(d) $1,000 a month.
15. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
(a) $250 a month.
(b) $350 a month.
(c) $450 a month.
(d) $150 a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say Julia must have done just before she ran into the hall?
2. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
3. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
4. How did Helen describe what came out of Julia's room while Helen was in the hall?
5. During what month does this book begin?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)