|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
(a) 5:00 am.
(b) 4:00 am.
(c) 2:00 am.
(d) 3:00 am.
2. What is the name of the young lady?
(a) Helen Stoner.
(b) Helene Steiner.
(c) Harriet Stoker.
(d) Heather Stickler.
3. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(a) Some tea.
(c) His walking shoes.
(d) A map of the country.
4. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
(a) Helen's fiance.
(b) The big man.
(d) A gypsy.
5. Why did the twins always keep their windows tightly locked?
(a) To keep their step-father out.
(b) To keep the wind out.
(c) To keep the animals out.
(d) To feel safer on the ground floor.
6. What is the occupation of the narrator?
(d) Police officer.
7. What were Julia's last words?
(a) The whistling.
(b) Why oh why?
(c) It was him.
(d) Speckled band.
8. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
9. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
(a) Her fiance.
(c) A gypsy.
10. What came out of Julia's room when Helen was in the hall?
(a) A baboon.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her step-father.
(d) A gypsy.
11. How does the visitor describe Holmes's ability to know so much about her without her saying anything?
(a) Psychic abilities.
(b) Really good guesses.
(c) Acute observance.
(d) Plain clues.
12. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) You should have come sooner.
(b) We haven't a moment to lose.
(c) This is all so confusing.
(d) We can help you, and soon.
13. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(b) More interested.
(c) There is no change at all.
(d) A little hesitant.
14. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
(a) His time in the military.
(b) Living in the tropics.
(c) Living in poverty.
(d) The untimely death of her mother.
15. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
(a) The letter opener.
(b) The sound of laughter.
(c) Her nakedness.
(d) The match in her hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
2. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
3. What did Julia's body NOT show signs of?
4. What caused the bruising on Helen?
5. How did Helen describe what came out of Julia's room while Helen was in the hall?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)