|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
2. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
(a) The woman he made the promise to had died.
(b) People are doubting Holmes's abilities.
(c) He has more time on his hands.
(d) His wife asked him to.
3. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
(a) Her ankles.
(b) Her face.
(c) Her fingers.
(d) Her wrists.
4. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
(a) A fire poker.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A high backed chair.
(d) A door handle.
5. What time does Holmes return from his researching?
(a) 1:00 pm.
(b) 2:00 pm.
(c) 11:00 am.
6. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
7. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
(b) A gypsy.
(c) The big man.
(d) Helen's fiance.
8. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(a) An animal.
(d) A gypsy.
9. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
10. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
11. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
(a) Far too advanced for his own good.
(b) Sly and cunning.
(d) Almost magical.
12. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Ms. Frintlock.
(b) Mrs. Farnsworth.
(c) Ms. Franklin.
(d) Mrs. Farintosh.
13. Why does Helen say she cannot be certain of what she heard in the hall that night?
(a) She was so frightened.
(b) There are so many doors in that great house.
(c) There was a storm outside.
(d) Her mind was on her sister.
14. What was Julia wearing when she died?
(b) A ball gown.
(c) A nightdress.
(d) A riding suit.
15. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
2. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
3. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
4. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
5. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)