|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say Julia must have done just before she ran into the hall?
(a) Took off her clothes.
(b) Opened her window.
(c) Drank some alcohol.
(d) Lit a match to see something.
2. What caused the bruising on Helen?
(a) She climbed out her window.
(b) She fell down some stairs.
(c) She did it to herself.
(d) Her stepfather.
3. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
4. What is the name of the young lady?
(a) Helene Steiner.
(b) Harriet Stoker.
(c) Heather Stickler.
(d) Helen Stoner.
5. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
6. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
7. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
(a) Her face.
(b) Her wrists.
(c) Her fingers.
(d) Her ankles.
8. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
9. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) His greed and laziness.
(b) Family genes.
(c) Paranoid tendencies.
(d) A viscious past.
10. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(b) A gypsy.
(c) An animal.
11. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
(a) The chiming of the clock.
(b) Holmes standing over his bed.
(c) A knock at the door.
(d) The sound of breaking glass.
12. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
13. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
(a) Sly and cunning.
(b) Almost magical.
(c) Far too advanced for his own good.
14. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) Something she had eaten.
(c) A specter.
(d) A gypsie's garb.
15. How does the visitor describe Holmes's ability to know so much about her without her saying anything?
(a) Psychic abilities.
(b) Acute observance.
(c) Really good guesses.
(d) Plain clues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
2. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
3. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
4. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
5. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)