|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the occupation of the man who wanted to marry the young lady's twin?
2. What caused the bruising on Helen?
(a) Her stepfather.
(b) She did it to herself.
(c) She climbed out her window.
(d) She fell down some stairs.
3. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
(a) The Doctors Commons.
(b) The University.
(c) A library.
(d) The morgue.
4. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
(a) Living in the tropics.
(b) His time in the military.
(c) Living in poverty.
(d) The untimely death of her mother.
5. What was the case about of the woman who referred the visitor to Holmes?
(b) A dog.
(c) A printing press.
6. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
(b) A gypsy.
(d) Her fiance.
7. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
(b) She has had to bail him out of jail.
(c) She has had to pay court fees.
(d) She has had to repair the house.
8. Where does the young lady's stepfather import his animals from?
9. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(a) A gypsy.
(d) An animal.
10. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At the house.
(c) In the town.
(d) In a hotel.
11. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 4 weeks.
12. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
(a) With the gypsies.
(b) In town.
(c) At a tavern.
(d) At the house.
13. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
14. Why does Helen say she cannot be certain of what she heard in the hall that night?
(a) There was a storm outside.
(b) Her mind was on her sister.
(c) There are so many doors in that great house.
(d) She was so frightened.
15. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
(a) Helping women in distress.
(b) Following Holmes's cases.
(c) Meeting new people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
2. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
3. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
4. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
5. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)