|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) The shuttered window.
(b) Some crawling in the air ducts.
(c) A mechanical device.
(d) The bars in the chimney.
2. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
3. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We can help you, and soon.
(b) You should have come sooner.
(c) This is all so confusing.
(d) We haven't a moment to lose.
4. How many wings of the step-father's estate are inhabitable?
5. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
(a) $1,000 a month.
(b) $750 a month.
(c) $500 a month.
(d) $1,250 a month.
6. What were Julia's last words?
(a) Why oh why?
(b) It was him.
(c) The whistling.
(d) Speckled band.
7. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
8. What does the man who comes into Holmes's house look like to Watson?
(a) A devil and a saint.
(b) A desperate man and a genius.
(c) A prisoner and a detective.
(d) A farmer and a businessman.
9. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
10. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
11. What came out of Julia's room when Helen was in the hall?
(a) A baboon.
(b) Her sister.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) Her step-father.
12. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
(a) The woman he made the promise to had died.
(b) He has more time on his hands.
(c) People are doubting Holmes's abilities.
(d) His wife asked him to.
13. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
14. Why did the twins always keep their windows tightly locked?
(a) To keep their step-father out.
(b) To feel safer on the ground floor.
(c) To keep the wind out.
(d) To keep the animals out.
15. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) A specter.
(b) A gypsie's garb.
(c) Something she had eaten.
(d) Dr. Roylott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the bruising on Helen?
2. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
3. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
4. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
5. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)