|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
2. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(b) Poison gas.
(d) A strike to the head.
3. What did Helen hear on the morning she went to see Sherlock Holmes?
(a) A cranking wood sound.
(b) A metal clanging.
(c) A high whistling.
(d) Maniacal laughter.
4. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
5. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
(a) 5:00 am.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 3:00 am.
(d) 4:00 am.
6. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
(a) They walk.
(c) They take a carriage.
7. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to pay court fees.
(b) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
(c) She has had to bail him out of jail.
(d) She has had to repair the house.
8. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
(a) On horseback.
(b) On foot.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) By train.
9. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
(a) Her nakedness.
(b) The letter opener.
(c) The match in her hand.
(d) The sound of laughter.
10. What time does Holmes return from his researching?
(a) 11:00 am.
(c) 2:00 pm.
(d) 1:00 pm.
11. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 4 weeks.
12. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
13. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
(a) Metallic clanging.
(b) Creaking wood.
(c) Maniacal laughter.
14. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
(a) A fire poker.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A high backed chair.
(d) A door handle.
15. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
(a) Repairs are being done in her room.
(b) Her step-father has moved into her own room.
(c) She wants to put Julia in the past.
(d) Her window is broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helen describe what came out of Julia's room while Helen was in the hall?
2. How did the young lady's mother die?
3. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
4. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
5. Why did the twins always keep their windows tightly locked?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)