|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
2. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
(a) A high backed chair.
(b) A fire poker.
(c) A door handle.
(d) A hammer.
3. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There were less people to sustain on the income.
(b) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(c) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
(d) There was a drop in military salaries.
4. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
5. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
6. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
(a) Her fingers.
(b) Her wrists.
(c) Her face.
(d) Her ankles.
7. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
(a) Philanthropy unchecked.
(c) Riotous living.
8. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
(a) $500 a month.
(b) $1,250 a month.
(c) $750 a month.
(d) $1,000 a month.
9. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
(a) The singing of the gypsies.
(b) A tapping on her door.
(c) The roaring of animals.
(d) A storm.
10. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 2 weeks.
11. What did Julia's body NOT show signs of?
(a) Self mutilation.
(b) Violent attack.
(c) A struggle.
12. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
(a) In the town.
(b) At the house.
(c) At the train station.
(d) In a hotel.
13. Why did the coroner review Julia's death so thoroughly?
(a) Dr. Roylott had a bad reputation.
(b) He very much cared for Julia.
(c) He could not figure out what killed her.
(d) Dr. Roylott forced him to.
14. What caused the narrator to decide to write about the case after so long?
(a) People are doubting Holmes's abilities.
(b) His wife asked him to.
(c) He has more time on his hands.
(d) The woman he made the promise to had died.
15. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
(a) A library.
(b) The Doctors Commons.
(c) The University.
(d) The morgue.
Short Answer Questions
1. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
2. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
3. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
4. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
5. Where does the young lady's stepfather import his animals from?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)