|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(d) Wandering salesmen.
2. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
(a) He made a promise of secrecy.
(b) He never had time to write about it.
(c) He forgot about it.
(d) He was unsure if people would believe it.
3. During what month does this book begin?
4. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
(a) Helping women in distress.
(b) Following Holmes's cases.
(d) Meeting new people.
5. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(b) A map of the country.
(c) Some tea.
(d) His walking shoes.
6. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We haven't a moment to lose.
(b) You should have come sooner.
(c) This is all so confusing.
(d) We can help you, and soon.
7. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) The shuttered window.
(b) A mechanical device.
(c) Some crawling in the air ducts.
(d) The bars in the chimney.
8. How does the narrator describe Holmes's deductive abilities?
(a) Almost magical.
(c) Sly and cunning.
(d) Far too advanced for his own good.
9. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
(b) The big man.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) Helen's fiance.
10. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
(b) Philanthropy unchecked.
(d) Riotous living.
11. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(a) A strike to the head.
(b) Poison gas.
12. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
13. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
14. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
15. How did the young lady's butler die?
(a) He was drowned.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He caught a fever.
(d) He was beaten to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
2. How many wings of the step-father's estate are inhabitable?
3. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
4. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
5. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)