|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dr. Roylott use in an effort to revive Julia?
(a) Mint tea.
(c) Cold water.
(d) Smelling salts.
2. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Mrs. Farintosh.
(b) Ms. Frintlock.
(c) Mrs. Farnsworth.
(d) Ms. Franklin.
3. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
(a) $750 a month.
(b) $1,250 a month.
(c) $500 a month.
(d) $1,000 a month.
4. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
5. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
6. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(b) Some tea.
(c) A map of the country.
(d) His walking shoes.
7. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
(a) Write a letter to her fiance.
(b) Run some errands.
(c) Buy herself a weapon.
(d) Speak with the police.
8. What is the last name of the young lady's step-father?
9. How does the visitor describe Holmes's ability to know so much about her without her saying anything?
(a) Plain clues.
(b) Acute observance.
(c) Really good guesses.
(d) Psychic abilities.
10. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
11. What is the name of the young lady?
(a) Helen Stoner.
(b) Harriet Stoker.
(c) Heather Stickler.
(d) Helene Steiner.
12. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
13. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) A mechanical device.
(b) Some crawling in the air ducts.
(c) The bars in the chimney.
(d) The shuttered window.
14. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
(a) A library.
(b) The Doctors Commons.
(c) The morgue.
(d) The University.
15. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
(a) A knock at the door.
(b) Holmes standing over his bed.
(c) The sound of breaking glass.
(d) The chiming of the clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
2. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
3. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
4. What is the occupation of the narrator?
5. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)