|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
2. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
3. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
(b) The big man.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) Helen's fiance.
4. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) His greed and laziness.
(b) Paranoid tendencies.
(c) Family genes.
(d) A viscious past.
5. What did Julia's body NOT show signs of?
(a) Violent attack.
(b) Self mutilation.
(d) A struggle.
6. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
(a) On horseback.
(b) By train.
(c) In a carriage.
(d) On foot.
7. Where did the narrator live when this case took place?
(a) Baker Street.
(b) Cosgrove Place.
(c) Trafalgar Square.
(d) Sussex Village.
8. How many wings of the step-father's estate are inhabitable?
9. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We can help you, and soon.
(b) We haven't a moment to lose.
(c) This is all so confusing.
(d) You should have come sooner.
10. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Ms. Franklin.
(b) Mrs. Farnsworth.
(c) Ms. Frintlock.
(d) Mrs. Farintosh.
11. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
12. What does Holmes say Julia must have done just before she ran into the hall?
(a) Drank some alcohol.
(b) Opened her window.
(c) Lit a match to see something.
(d) Took off her clothes.
13. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
(a) A high backed chair.
(b) A fire poker.
(c) A door handle.
(d) A hammer.
14. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) A mechanical device.
(b) The shuttered window.
(c) Some crawling in the air ducts.
(d) The bars in the chimney.
15. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
2. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
3. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
4. Why was the Chimney not a valid entrance into Julia's room?
5. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)