|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what month does this book begin?
2. Why did the twins always keep their windows tightly locked?
(a) To feel safer on the ground floor.
(b) To keep the animals out.
(c) To keep the wind out.
(d) To keep their step-father out.
3. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
(a) $500 a month.
(b) $750 a month.
(c) $1,250 a month.
(d) $1,000 a month.
4. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
(b) Take comfort.
(d) Speak freely.
5. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
6. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(b) Poison gas.
(d) A strike to the head.
7. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
(a) Write a letter to her fiance.
(b) Buy herself a weapon.
(c) Speak with the police.
(d) Run some errands.
8. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(d) Wandering salesmen.
9. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to repair the house.
(b) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
(c) She has had to pay court fees.
(d) She has had to bail him out of jail.
10. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We can help you, and soon.
(b) We haven't a moment to lose.
(c) This is all so confusing.
(d) You should have come sooner.
11. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) Family genes.
(b) His greed and laziness.
(c) A viscious past.
(d) Paranoid tendencies.
12. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
(a) A dagger and a cloak.
(b) A hairbrush and a cane.
(c) A toothbrush and a revolver.
(d) His medical bag and some shoes.
13. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There was a drop in military salaries.
(b) There were less people to sustain on the income.
(c) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(d) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
14. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
15. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
2. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
3. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
4. What was the occupation of the man who wanted to marry the young lady's twin?
5. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)