|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
2. What is the name of the young lady?
(a) Helen Stoner.
(b) Heather Stickler.
(c) Helene Steiner.
(d) Harriet Stoker.
3. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
(b) They walk.
(d) They take a carriage.
4. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) The bars in the chimney.
(b) The shuttered window.
(c) Some crawling in the air ducts.
(d) A mechanical device.
5. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(a) There is no change at all.
(c) A little hesitant.
(d) More interested.
6. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to repair the house.
(b) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
(c) She has had to bail him out of jail.
(d) She has had to pay court fees.
7. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
8. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
(a) At a tavern.
(b) At the house.
(c) In town.
(d) With the gypsies.
9. Why was the Chimney not a valid entrance into Julia's room?
(a) It was barred.
(b) The flu was shut.
(c) There was a great fire burning.
(d) It had been filled in.
10. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
11. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 week.
(d) 3 weeks.
12. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
13. Who are the young lady's step-father's only friends?
(c) Wandering salesmen.
14. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) A gypsie's garb.
(b) Something she had eaten.
(c) Dr. Roylott.
(d) A specter.
15. Who does Watson think was with Julia when was in her room?
(a) An animal.
(d) A gypsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
2. What does the man who comes into Holmes's house look like to Watson?
3. What did Dr. Roylott use in an effort to revive Julia?
4. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
5. What caused the bruising on Helen?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)