|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We can help you, and soon.
(b) This is all so confusing.
(c) We haven't a moment to lose.
(d) You should have come sooner.
2. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
3. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Holmes pull over his face while he travels to the house?
(a) His hand.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His hat.
(d) His scarf.
5. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
6. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) His greed and laziness.
(b) Paranoid tendencies.
(c) Family genes.
(d) A viscious past.
7. What is the occupation of the narrator?
(c) Police officer.
8. What caused the bruising on Helen?
(a) She fell down some stairs.
(b) She climbed out her window.
(c) She did it to herself.
(d) Her stepfather.
9. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
(a) On horseback.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On foot.
(d) By train.
10. How many wings of the step-father's estate are inhabitable?
11. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
(a) $150 a month.
(b) $450 a month.
(c) $250 a month.
(d) $350 a month.
12. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
(a) A knock at the door.
(b) The chiming of the clock.
(c) Holmes standing over his bed.
(d) The sound of breaking glass.
13. What did Helen think Julia died of?
(c) A strike to the head.
(d) Poison gas.
14. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
(a) Repairs are being done in her room.
(b) She wants to put Julia in the past.
(c) Her step-father has moved into her own room.
(d) Her window is broken.
15. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
2. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
3. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
4. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
5. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)