|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
(a) His work.
(b) Punishing villains.
(c) The money.
(d) Helping others.
2. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At the house.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In the town.
3. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
(a) A door handle.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A high backed chair.
(d) A fire poker.
4. What is the occupation of the narrator?
(d) Police officer.
5. What is the last name of the young lady's step-father?
6. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
7. What came out of Julia's room when Helen was in the hall?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her step-father.
(c) A baboon.
(d) A gypsy.
8. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
9. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 5 weeks.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
10. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
(b) Maniacal laughter.
(c) Creaking wood.
(d) Metallic clanging.
11. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
(a) Speak freely.
(c) Take comfort.
12. What was Julia wearing when she died?
(a) A ball gown.
(c) A nightdress.
(d) A riding suit.
13. What is unique about the case written about in this book?
(a) It took longer than usual to solve.
(b) It was solved by someone else.
(c) It was very unusual.
(d) It was never solved.
14. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
15. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There was a drop in military salaries.
(b) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
(c) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(d) There were less people to sustain on the income.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the bruising on Helen?
2. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
3. Why does Helen say she cannot be certain of what she heard in the hall that night?
4. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
5. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)