|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
2. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
(a) The untimely death of her mother.
(b) Living in poverty.
(c) Living in the tropics.
(d) His time in the military.
3. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
(a) His medical bag and some shoes.
(b) A dagger and a cloak.
(c) A toothbrush and a revolver.
(d) A hairbrush and a cane.
4. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(a) A map of the country.
(b) Some tea.
(d) His walking shoes.
5. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
(a) The University.
(b) The morgue.
(c) A library.
(d) The Doctors Commons.
6. What does Holmes do while the big man is insulting him?
(b) Packs his bag.
7. Why does Helen say she cannot be certain of what she heard in the hall that night?
(a) She was so frightened.
(b) There was a storm outside.
(c) Her mind was on her sister.
(d) There are so many doors in that great house.
8. How did the big man get to Holmes's house?
(a) He asked a policeman.
(b) He followed Helen.
(c) He used the business card Holmes had passed out.
(d) He read a map.
9. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
(a) A wine goblet.
(b) A match.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) A Bible.
10. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Something she had eaten.
(b) Dr. Roylott.
(c) A specter.
(d) A gypsie's garb.
11. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
12. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
13. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(b) There was a drop in military salaries.
(c) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
(d) There were less people to sustain on the income.
14. Who does Holmes see walking along the path to the house?
(a) The big man.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) Helen's fiance.
15. What is the name of the young lady?
(a) Helene Steiner.
(b) Heather Stickler.
(c) Helen Stoner.
(d) Harriet Stoker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
2. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
3. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
4. What is the name of the young lady's step-father's estate?
5. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)