|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 5 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
2. What does Holmes pull over his face while he travels to the house?
(a) His hat.
(b) His scarf.
(c) His hand.
(d) His shirt.
3. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
4. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to pay court fees.
(b) She has had to bail him out of jail.
(c) She has had to repair the house.
(d) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
5. Why is Helen living in Julia's room at this time?
(a) Her window is broken.
(b) Her step-father has moved into her own room.
(c) Repairs are being done in her room.
(d) She wants to put Julia in the past.
6. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
(a) A library.
(b) The University.
(c) The Doctors Commons.
(d) The morgue.
7. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) 750 pounds.
(c) 250 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
8. What kind of expression does Watson say is on the face of the man who comes to see Holmes?
9. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
(a) $250 a month.
(b) $350 a month.
(c) $450 a month.
(d) $150 a month.
10. What does the strange visitor say is making her shake?
11. What time in the morning did Julia hear strange whistling noises?
(a) 5:00 am.
(b) 4:00 am.
(c) 3:00 am.
(d) 2:00 am.
12. Why was the Chimney not a valid entrance into Julia's room?
(a) It was barred.
(b) The flu was shut.
(c) There was a great fire burning.
(d) It had been filled in.
13. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
(a) The chiming of the clock.
(b) A knock at the door.
(c) The sound of breaking glass.
(d) Holmes standing over his bed.
14. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
15. How many entrances were there into Julia's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
2. What is the name of the young lady?
3. How many bedrooms are located on the ground floor of the estate?
4. How was the young lady's step-father's fortune spent away?
5. What does the big man bend with his bare hands?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)