|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Holmes say is the most important fact of Helen's description of Julia?
(a) Her nakedness.
(b) The match in her hand.
(c) The letter opener.
(d) The sound of laughter.
2. How much money would Julia have gotten had she been wed?
(a) $350 a month.
(b) $450 a month.
(c) $250 a month.
(d) $150 a month.
3. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) His greed and laziness.
(b) A viscious past.
(c) Family genes.
(d) Paranoid tendencies.
4. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
(a) At the house.
(b) At the train station.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In the town.
5. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
(a) He never had time to write about it.
(b) He was unsure if people would believe it.
(c) He made a promise of secrecy.
(d) He forgot about it.
6. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
(a) Helping others.
(b) The money.
(c) Punishing villains.
(d) His work.
7. What was the case about of the woman who referred the visitor to Holmes?
(b) A dog.
(c) A printing press.
8. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
(a) Ms. Franklin.
(b) Mrs. Farnsworth.
(c) Mrs. Farintosh.
(d) Ms. Frintlock.
9. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A specter.
(c) A gypsie's garb.
(d) Something she had eaten.
10. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
(a) With the gypsies.
(b) In town.
(c) At the house.
(d) At a tavern.
11. How did the young lady's butler die?
(a) He was poisoned.
(b) He was beaten to death.
(c) He was drowned.
(d) He caught a fever.
12. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(b) There is no change at all.
(c) More interested.
(d) A little hesitant.
13. How has the young lady's step-father's anger cost her money?
(a) She has had to bail him out of jail.
(b) She has had to repair the house.
(c) She has had to pay people to smooth over brawls.
(d) She has had to pay court fees.
14. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
15. Where does Holmes see bruises on Helen?
(a) Her face.
(b) Her fingers.
(c) Her wrists.
(d) Her ankles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the big man describe himself before he leaves?
2. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
3. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
4. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
5. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)