|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Julia wearing when she died?
(a) A nightdress.
(c) A ball gown.
(d) A riding suit.
2. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
(a) There is no change at all.
(c) More interested.
(d) A little hesitant.
3. What is the name of the narrator of this book?
4. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
5. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
6. Where did the narrator live when this case took place?
(a) Baker Street.
(b) Trafalgar Square.
(c) Cosgrove Place.
(d) Sussex Village.
7. What came out of Julia's room when Helen was in the hall?
(a) A baboon.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) Her step-father.
(d) Her sister.
8. How soon before her wedding did the twin sister die?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 4 weeks.
(d) 2 weeks.
9. What does Helen have to do before she can return to the house?
(a) Buy herself a weapon.
(b) Write a letter to her fiance.
(c) Run some errands.
(d) Speak with the police.
10. Where does Holmes plan to meet with Helen?
(a) In the town.
(b) At the house.
(c) At the train station.
(d) In a hotel.
11. What does Holmes say is his greatest reward for his help?
(a) His work.
(b) The money.
(c) Helping others.
(d) Punishing villains.
12. Why did the narrator take so long to write about this case?
(a) He forgot about it.
(b) He never had time to write about it.
(c) He made a promise of secrecy.
(d) He was unsure if people would believe it.
13. What does the narrator say he gets his greatest pleasure from?
(a) Following Holmes's cases.
(b) Helping women in distress.
(c) Meeting new people.
14. How soon is the strange visitor to be wed?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 5 weeks.
15. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
(a) The roaring of animals.
(b) The singing of the gypsies.
(c) A tapping on her door.
(d) A storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
2. What did Dr. Roylott use in an effort to revive Julia?
3. How does the visitor describe Holmes's ability to know so much about her without her saying anything?
4. How did Holmes know the visitor took a dog carriage early that morning?
5. Where will Roylott be all day on the say Helen comes to Holmes?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)