|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Holmes ask for an opinion on the case?
(a) A local officer.
(c) His housekeeper.
2. What is unique about the case written about in this book?
(a) It was never solved.
(b) It was very unusual.
(c) It took longer than usual to solve.
(d) It was solved by someone else.
3. What does Holmes think caused the metal clanging sound?
(a) The shuttered window.
(b) Some crawling in the air ducts.
(c) A mechanical device.
(d) The bars in the chimney.
4. What two things does Holmes tell Watson to pack for their trip?
(a) His medical bag and some shoes.
(b) A hairbrush and a cane.
(c) A dagger and a cloak.
(d) A toothbrush and a revolver.
5. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
(a) The roaring of animals.
(b) A storm.
(c) The singing of the gypsies.
(d) A tapping on her door.
6. How many cases has Holmes completed in the past 8 years?
7. What does Holmes ask for just after the big man leaves?
(b) Some tea.
(c) His walking shoes.
(d) A map of the country.
8. What does Holmes pull over his face while he travels to the house?
(a) His hand.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His hat.
(d) His scarf.
9. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
(b) Creaking wood.
(c) Metallic clanging.
(d) Maniacal laughter.
10. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There was a drop in military salaries.
(b) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(c) There were less people to sustain on the income.
(d) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
11. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
12. What did Helen hear on the morning she went to see Sherlock Holmes?
(a) A high whistling.
(b) A metal clanging.
(c) A cranking wood sound.
(d) Maniacal laughter.
13. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
14. What does Holmes say when Helen finishes her story?
(a) We haven't a moment to lose.
(b) You should have come sooner.
(c) We can help you, and soon.
(d) This is all so confusing.
15. What was the case about of the woman who referred the visitor to Holmes?
(b) A dog.
(c) A printing press.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the young lady's mother die?
2. How did the young lady's butler die?
3. Why did the coroner review Julia's death so thoroughly?
4. Who referred the strange visitor to Sherlock Holmes?
5. What did Helen's mother's income fall to after her death?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)