|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept the young lady awake on the night her twin died?
(a) The singing of the gypsies.
(b) A tapping on her door.
(c) A storm.
(d) The roaring of animals.
2. What is the last name of the young lady's step-father?
3. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
4. What color is the strange visitor wearing at the beginning of the book?
5. Why did the twins always keep their windows tightly locked?
(a) To keep their step-father out.
(b) To feel safer on the ground floor.
(c) To keep the animals out.
(d) To keep the wind out.
6. What was Julia holding in her hand when she died?
(a) A letter opener.
(b) A wine goblet.
(c) A match.
(d) A Bible.
7. How old does Holmes say his strange visitor is?
8. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
(a) Speak freely.
(b) Take comfort.
9. How does Watson describe the countryside as he and Holmes travel through it?
10. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
11. What does Holmes say Julia must have done just before she ran into the hall?
(a) Opened her window.
(b) Lit a match to see something.
(c) Drank some alcohol.
(d) Took off her clothes.
12. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
(c) A gypsy.
(d) Her fiance.
13. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 500 pounds.
(c) 750 pounds.
(d) 250 pounds.
14. What were Julia's last words?
(a) The whistling.
(b) Why oh why?
(c) It was him.
(d) Speckled band.
15. How did the strange visitor travel to London?
(a) By train.
(b) On horseback.
(c) On foot.
(d) In a carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holmes say the insults of the man make him feel about the case?
2. What wakes the narrator up at the beginning of this book?
3. What did Helen think Julia's last words referred to?
4. What was the occupation of the young lady's father before he died?
5. How did the young lady's mother die?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)