|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the neighbors feel when the young lady's step-father returned to his estate?
2. Why did the amount of Helen's mother's income fall after her death?
(a) There was a drop in agricultural prices.
(b) There were less people to sustain on the income.
(c) There was a penalty for Roylott's imprisonment.
(d) There was a drop in military salaries.
3. How does Holmes say he learns about people before they speak to him?
(a) Acute observance.
(b) Plain clues.
(c) Psychic abilities.
(d) Really good guesses.
4. What did Helen hear when she left her room on the night her sister died?
(b) Maniacal laughter.
(c) Metallic clanging.
(d) Creaking wood.
5. Where were the step-father's cigars imported from?
6. What is the name of the young lady's twin sister?
7. What does the young lady think intensified her step-father's violent tendencies?
(a) The untimely death of her mother.
(b) Living in the tropics.
(c) Living in poverty.
(d) His time in the military.
8. What were Julia's last words?
(a) It was him.
(b) Speckled band.
(c) The whistling.
(d) Why oh why?
9. What is the young lady's step-father's occupation?
10. During what month does this book begin?
11. What caused the bruising on Helen?
(a) Her stepfather.
(b) She did it to herself.
(c) She climbed out her window.
(d) She fell down some stairs.
12. What did the young lady say caused her step-father's violent anger?
(a) A viscious past.
(b) Paranoid tendencies.
(c) Family genes.
(d) His greed and laziness.
13. What does Holmes say the strange visitor is welcome to do in front of the narrator?
(b) Take comfort.
(c) Speak freely.
14. How does Holmes describe the state of his visitor at the beginning of this book?
15. Who is the large man who comes to see Holmes?
(a) Dr. Roylott.
(b) A gypsy.
(c) Helen's fiance.
(d) A butler at the Roylott house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did the young lady's mother get every month after her husband died?
2. Where does Holmes plan to go to research for this case?
3. Who does Holmes think killed Julia?
4. How do Holmes and Watson get to the countryside?
5. What does Watson say Holmes is doing while he covers his face on the trip to the house?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)