Short Essay Questions
1. How does this book begin?
2. Why has the narrator waited so long to write this story, and why is he writing it now?
3. How is the narrator wakened at the beginning of this story?
4. What does Watson say is his keenest pleasure in life?
5. How does Watson describe the young lady who has come to consult with Holmes in this case?
6. How does Holmes figure out the young lady's mode of transportation to his house?
7. When does the young lady say she will be able to pay Holmes, and why?
8. How does Sherlock Holmes respond to the woman's statement about when she can pay him?
9. What happened to the Roylott fortune?
10. What did Grimesby Roylott do to earn money?
11. Why was Roylott sent to jail the first time?
12. What did Helen's mother's will say?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)