|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is publication like outside of Russia?
2. How is Nabokov's life at Cambridge, compared to his former existence?
3. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
4. What does young Nabokov's status as a child of the intelligentsia often do to him?
5. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov gives a brief history of his maternal and paternal ancestors.
Part 1) Describe his paternal and maternal ancestors.
Part 2) Compare and contrast these ancestors.
Part 3) What can one learn about Nabokov from this information?
Essay Topic 2
However, even though Nabokov despises the Bolsheviks, he is determined to retain his Russian identity and to become proficient as a Russian author.
Part 1) Why is this important to him?
Part 2) How is becoming a Russian novelist a struggle at Cambridge?
Part 3) Predict where his works will be more popular, in Russia or Western Europe and the United States? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What surprises Nabokov when he encounters his former nanny, "Mademoiselle," years later? What are two possible reasons for his confusion?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)