|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1904, who does Nabokov remember meeting for the first time?
2. How does she respond to his poem?
3. Why does Sergey end up in a concentration camp?
4. What is Lenski's idea for the use of Magic-Lantern Projections?
5. What puts Nabokov at odds with many of his colleagues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov includes a chapter about butterflies.
Part 1) Why does he include this chapter?
Part 2) What does this say about Nabokov as a person?
Part 3) Must the author's purpose for a work be the only basis for studying and analyzing that work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov has always had difficulty sleeping.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of an autobiography?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov lives a bourgeois, aristocratic life.
Part 1) What evidence from the text suggests this?
Part 2) When and why does this lifestyle end?
Part 3) How does Nabokov handle this change in lifestyle?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)