|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does his first poem take shape in his mind?
2. Why does Nabokov ride his bike each afternoon past the house of the family's head coachmen?
3. How would Nabokov spend hours?
4. What tutor looks like the French actor Max Linder?
5. What does he describe with obvious revelry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What surprises Nabokov when he encounters his former nanny, "Mademoiselle," years later? What are two possible reasons for his confusion?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov includes a chapter about butterflies.
Part 1) Why does he include this chapter?
Part 2) What does this say about Nabokov as a person?
Part 3) Must the author's purpose for a work be the only basis for studying and analyzing that work? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
With what is Nabokov fascinated, in fact, obsessed? Give examples from the text to support your response. How do the members of his household encourage this obsession?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)