|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What earns Vladimir several rebukes from the Tsarist government?
2. While he is writing a poem, to what is he prone?
3. On what does the rest of the family live?
4. What tutor looks like the French actor Max Linder?
5. Who is he surprised to see on stage as "The Gala Girls?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov has always had difficulty sleeping.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of an autobiography?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this autobiography?
Essay Topic 2
The second chapter focuses on Nabokov's mother.
Part 1) Describe Nabokov's mother.
Part 2) Compare Nabokov and his mother.
Part 3) What is Nabokov's relationship like with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
However, even though Nabokov despises the Bolsheviks, he is determined to retain his Russian identity and to become proficient as a Russian author.
Part 1) Why is this important to him?
Part 2) How is becoming a Russian novelist a struggle at Cambridge?
Part 3) Predict where his works will be more popular, in Russia or Western Europe and the United States? Why?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)