|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
2. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
3. Of what are Nabokov's memories in a Russian setting?
4. Why does Nabokov's father force the family to leave a sidewalk cafe?
5. What properties do the Nabokovs own until the Russian revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a difficulty that Russian writers endure?
2. What does young Vladimir think about when he wakes in the morning?
3. Describe Nabokov's encounters with his cousin, Yuri.
4. Why might be the reason for the Nabokov's leaving Europe?
5. What is known about the chapters prior to the writing of this book?
6. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
7. Describe Nabokov's mother.
8. What happens to the Greek tutor, Ordo?
9. Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich, is a diplomat and a dreamer, who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad. What story does Nabokov recall about his uncle?
10. Who is Tamara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov seems to have a close relationship with his father.
Part 1) Describe their relationship.
Part 2) Compare and contrast Nabokov's relationship with his father and his relationship with his mother.
Part 3) What are possible reasons for the differences in the two relationships?
Essay Topic 2
This autobiographical work ends with the family leaving on a boat for the United States.
Part 1) What might be the reason they decide to immigrate to the United States?
Part 2) What struggles might the family encounter? Why?
Part 3) Will Nabokov be successful in the United States? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What surprises Nabokov when he encounters his former nanny, "Mademoiselle," years later? What are two possible reasons for his confusion?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)