|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what simple rule does Nabokov's mother ascribe?
2. What does Nabokov call the process of using both the English and Russian translations of "Speak, Memory" to shape the current work?
3. How long does the family stay in Paris?
4. What properties do the Nabokovs own until the Russian revolution?
5. What does Nabokov reveal about his mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
2. What is known about the chapters prior to the writing of this book?
3. What does he learn about himself, regarding Russian poets?
4. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
5. How does Nabokov spend hours of his time during this period of his life?
6. Describe Nabokov's ancestors.
7. Who are the tutors hired to educate the Nabokov children?
8. What jobs does Nabokov's father hold throughout his career?
9. Who is Kirill?
10. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov spends his summer vacations in Biarritz, France.
Part 1) Describe Biarritz.
Part 2) How does Nabokov's family spend its time here?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for including this information in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Lenski is one of the more significant tutors in Nabokov's teen years?
Part 1) What is Nobakov's opinion of Lenski?
Part 2) What does Lenski try to give both the boys and their father?
Part 3) How do the boys react to their education from Lenski? How might this information be useful to them in later years?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Nabokov's time spent in Biarritz? What does one learn about his character and view of women?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)