Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
2. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
3. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
4. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
5. What do the first-class carriages feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
3. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
4. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
5. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
6. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
7. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
8. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
9. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
10. How is Nabokov's experience at Cambridge?
There is a great gulf between classes in early-twentieth century Russia.
Part 1) What evidence from the text proves this statement.
Part 2) How does this separation of classes affect Russia?
Part 3) How might Nabokov's experiences have changed once he emigrates to Western Europe, and finally to the United States? How mighthe feel about these changes?
Nabokov's family is exiled from Russia.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How is Nabokov's life is Western Europe?
Part 3) Although, Nabokov says his anger towards the Bolsheviks is due to his loss of country, how might his loss of wealth and status affect him?
What is significant about Nabokov's time spent in Biarritz? What does one learn about his character and view of women?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)