|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nabokov's mother often wander the estate's forest?
2. How long does the family stay in Paris?
3. What does this hobby do to him?
4. For whom is young Vladimir mistaken?
5. In exile in America, when a ranger or marshal spots him traipsing into the backwoods, net in hand, what is he asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
2. How does Nabokov spend hours of his time during this period of his life?
3. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
4. Describe Nabokov's brother, Sergey.
5. How does Nabokov meet Mademoiselle after she leaves Russia?
6. Who is Kirill?
7. How does Nabokov describe the poet?
8. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel? Why?
9. Who is Mademoiselle?
10. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great gulf between classes in early-twentieth century Russia.
Part 1) What evidence from the text proves this statement.
Part 2) How does this separation of classes affect Russia?
Part 3) How might Nabokov's experiences have changed once he emigrates to Western Europe, and finally to the United States? How mighthe feel about these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov's family is exiled from Russia.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How is Nabokov's life is Western Europe?
Part 3) Although, Nabokov says his anger towards the Bolsheviks is due to his loss of country, how might his loss of wealth and status affect him?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov gives a brief history of his maternal and paternal ancestors.
Part 1) Describe his paternal and maternal ancestors.
Part 2) Compare and contrast these ancestors.
Part 3) What can one learn about Nabokov from this information?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)