|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is he detained briefly in 1918, by a Bolshevik soldier?
2. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
3. To what is Nabokov's mother quite sensitive?
4. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
5. How long does the family stay in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
2. How does Nabokov spend hours of his time during this period of his life?
3. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
4. Where do they head to from Paris? What do they do when they get there?
5. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel? Why?
6. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
7. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
8. In 1910, the Nabokov brothers acquire teeth braces. How does their father reward them for dealing with the dental sessions?
9. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
10. What does young Vladimir think about when he wakes in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great gulf between classes in early-twentieth century Russia.
Part 1) What evidence from the text proves this statement.
Part 2) How does this separation of classes affect Russia?
Part 3) How might Nabokov's experiences have changed once he emigrates to Western Europe, and finally to the United States? How mighthe feel about these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov speaks mainly of his brother and himself as experiencing a liberal education, even though Nabokov has two sisters.
Part 1) Why are they rarely mentioned?
Part 2) What training would be important for a girl in this society?
Part 3) What is the role of women at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov spends his summer vacations in Biarritz, France.
Part 1) Describe Biarritz.
Part 2) How does Nabokov's family spend its time here?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for including this information in the book?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)