Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
2. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
3. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
4. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
5. What do the first-class carriages feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
3. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
4. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
5. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
6. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
7. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
8. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
9. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
10. How is Nabokov's experience at Cambridge?
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov spends his summer vacations in Biarritz, France.
Part 1) Describe Biarritz.
Part 2) How does Nabokov's family spend its time here?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for including this information in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov gives a brief history of his maternal and paternal ancestors.
Part 1) Describe his paternal and maternal ancestors.
Part 2) Compare and contrast these ancestors.
Part 3) What can one learn about Nabokov from this information?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov has always had difficulty sleeping.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of an autobiography?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this autobiography?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)