|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rest of the chapters are published separately, mainly by whom?
2. What has Nabokov always had difficulty doing?
3. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
4. What does the butterfly net in particular always invite?
5. When does Nabokov eventually discover a new species?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1910, the Nabokov brothers acquire teeth braces. How does their father reward them for dealing with the dental sessions?
2. What is wrong about the books that young Vladimir finds in the attic?
3. Why is Nabokov angry with the Bolsheviks? What is the cause of this anger?
4. What is Nabokov's life like after leaving Cambridge?
5. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
6. Explain the process used to create this book.
7. Who is Kirill?
8. What jobs does Nabokov's father hold throughout his career?
9. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
10. How does Nabokov describe the final years in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov lives a bourgeois, aristocratic life.
Part 1) What evidence from the text suggests this?
Part 2) When and why does this lifestyle end?
Part 3) How does Nabokov handle this change in lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov and his brother go through a series of nannies, governesses, and tutors.
Part 1) Choose four of these individuals. Describe them, and explain how the children benefit from their services.
Part 2) How does Nabokov, similar to many children, treat the nannies, governesses, and tutors?
Part 3) How does Nabokov's relationship with these individuals reveal his opinion of hired help and those in lower social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Part of this autobiography observes the beginnings of Nabokov's literary talents.
Part 1) How do we first catch a glimpse of his talent as a writer?
Part 2) What is his process for creating his writing, at this stage in his life?
Part 3) How might the encouragement he receives from his family affect his writing career later in life?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)