|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
2. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
3. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
4. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
5. What do the first-class carriages feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
3. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
4. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
5. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
6. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
7. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
8. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
9. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
10. How is Nabokov's experience at Cambridge?
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov and his brother go through a series of nannies, governesses, and tutors.
Part 1) Choose four of these individuals. Describe them, and explain how the children benefit from their services.
Part 2) How does Nabokov, similar to many children, treat the nannies, governesses, and tutors?
Part 3) How does Nabokov's relationship with these individuals reveal his opinion of hired help and those in lower social classes?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great gulf between classes in early-twentieth century Russia.
Part 1) What evidence from the text proves this statement.
Part 2) How does this separation of classes affect Russia?
Part 3) How might Nabokov's experiences have changed once he emigrates to Western Europe, and finally to the United States? How mighthe feel about these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Part of this autobiography observes the beginnings of Nabokov's literary talents.
Part 1) How do we first catch a glimpse of his talent as a writer?
Part 2) What is his process for creating his writing, at this stage in his life?
Part 3) How might the encouragement he receives from his family affect his writing career later in life?
This section contains 1,825 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)