|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does little Vladimir close his eyes at the bottom of each stairway?
2. What does this hobby do to him?
3. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
4. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
5. Why, when Nabokov is a child, is he terrified of the dark?
Short Essay Questions
1. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
2. What is Nabokov's life like after leaving Cambridge?
3. The aristocratic Nabokov house is stocked with English and French amenities. What are some of the amenities?
4. What is the process Nabokov goes through to create a poem?
5. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
6. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
7. Describe Nabokov's encounters with his cousin, Yuri.
8. Who is Mademoiselle?
9. Explain the process used to create this book.
10. How does Nabokov meet Mademoiselle after she leaves Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov's family is exiled from Russia.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How is Nabokov's life is Western Europe?
Part 3) Although, Nabokov says his anger towards the Bolsheviks is due to his loss of country, how might his loss of wealth and status affect him?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov seems to have a close relationship with his father.
Part 1) Describe their relationship.
Part 2) Compare and contrast Nabokov's relationship with his father and his relationship with his mother.
Part 3) What are possible reasons for the differences in the two relationships?
Essay Topic 3
What surprises Nabokov when he encounters his former nanny, "Mademoiselle," years later? What are two possible reasons for his confusion?
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)