Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
2. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
3. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
4. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
5. What do the first-class carriages feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
3. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
4. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
5. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
6. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
7. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
8. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
9. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
10. How is Nabokov's experience at Cambridge?
What surprises Nabokov when he encounters his former nanny, "Mademoiselle," years later? What are two possible reasons for his confusion?
Nabokov lives a bourgeois, aristocratic life.
Part 1) What evidence from the text suggests this?
Part 2) When and why does this lifestyle end?
Part 3) How does Nabokov handle this change in lifestyle?
Nabokov matures throughout this book.
Part 1) What evidence is there from the text that Nabokov is changing physically and emotionally?
Part 2) How does his father handle Nabokov's intimate questions, regarding changes in his body?
Part 3) Describe his relationships with girls. How do these relationships change as he grows up?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)