|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Mademoiselle spend with the family?
2. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
3. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
4. What does Nabokov learn to read and write before Russian or French?
5. What would change throughout Nabokov's childhood, depending on the prevailing advice of the family's current medical consultant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
3. When does Nabokov begin to write poetry?
4. Why might be the reason for the Nabokov's leaving Europe?
5. Explain the process used to create this book.
6. What happens after the revolution to Nabokov's family?
7. What happens to the Greek tutor, Ordo?
8. What schooling does Nabokov's father receive?
9. What evidence from the text shows that Nabokov is beginning to have an interest in girls?
10. What is the process Nabokov goes through to create a poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With what is Nabokov fascinated, in fact, obsessed? Give examples from the text to support your response. How do the members of his household encourage this obsession?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov matures throughout this book.
Part 1) What evidence is there from the text that Nabokov is changing physically and emotionally?
Part 2) How does his father handle Nabokov's intimate questions, regarding changes in his body?
Part 3) Describe his relationships with girls. How do these relationships change as he grows up?
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Nabokov's time spent in Biarritz? What does one learn about his character and view of women?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)