|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During one such trip in the summer of 1909, who does young Nabokov meet?
2. What does Nabokov claim stems more from an ecological longing for the place of his birth, than in his family's loss of property and station?
3. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
4. When does Nabokov eventually discover a new species?
5. What would change throughout Nabokov's childhood, depending on the prevailing advice of the family's current medical consultant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kirill?
2. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
3. Who are the tutors hired to educate the Nabokov children?
4. What happens to the family once they leave Russia?
5. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel? Why?
6. When does Nabokov begin to write poetry?
7. How are the Nabokov's affected by their son? What do we learn about Dmitri, as he grows?
8. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
9. What does Nabokov experience in Crimea?
10. How does Nabokov begin this final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about Nabokov's time spent in Biarritz? What does one learn about his character and view of women?
Essay Topic 2
With what is Nabokov fascinated, in fact, obsessed? Give examples from the text to support your response. How do the members of his household encourage this obsession?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov spends his summer vacations in Biarritz, France.
Part 1) Describe Biarritz.
Part 2) How does Nabokov's family spend its time here?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for including this information in the book?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)