|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
2. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
3. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
4. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
5. What do the first-class carriages feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
3. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
4. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
5. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
6. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
7. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
8. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
9. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
10. How is Nabokov's experience at Cambridge?
Essay Topic 1
Lenski is one of the more significant tutors in Nabokov's teen years?
Part 1) What is Nobakov's opinion of Lenski?
Part 2) What does Lenski try to give both the boys and their father?
Part 3) How do the boys react to their education from Lenski? How might this information be useful to them in later years?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov has always had difficulty sleeping.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the purpose of an autobiography?
Part 3) What is the purpose of this autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Nabokov family's lifestyle before exile contradict with the father's philosophy? Why might there be this discrepancy? What do you think is the opinion of the father about his family's lifestyle in Western Europe? Use information from the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,825 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)