|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rest of the chapters are published separately, mainly by whom?
2. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
3. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
4. Where do the children bathe?
5. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
2. What happens to the Greek tutor, Ordo?
3. How does Nabokov spend hours of his time during this period of his life?
4. What schooling does Nabokov's father receive?
5. When does Nabokov meet Colette? How do they spend their time together?
6. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
7. What does Nabokov experience in Crimea?
8. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
9. Why is Nabokov angry with the Bolsheviks? What is the cause of this anger?
10. What evidence is there showing that Nabokov and Tamara's relationship is not as innocent as his parents may think it is.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nabokov spends his summer vacations in Biarritz, France.
Part 1) Describe Biarritz.
Part 2) How does Nabokov's family spend its time here?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for including this information in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Nabokov matures throughout this book.
Part 1) What evidence is there from the text that Nabokov is changing physically and emotionally?
Part 2) How does his father handle Nabokov's intimate questions, regarding changes in his body?
Part 3) Describe his relationships with girls. How do these relationships change as he grows up?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov speaks mainly of his brother and himself as experiencing a liberal education, even though Nabokov has two sisters.
Part 1) Why are they rarely mentioned?
Part 2) What training would be important for a girl in this society?
Part 3) What is the role of women at this time?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)