|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nabokov reveal about his mind?
2. Why is Nabokov disappointed to hear that one of his tutors marries a peasant girl?
3. What is their mother's reaction when she sees that her children have opened the presents from their stockings early and poorly rewrapped them?
4. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
5. What is young Vladimir's main concern?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Nabokov begin to write poetry?
2. What is Nabokov's life like after leaving Cambridge?
3. Who is Mademoiselle?
4. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
5. When does Nabokov meet Colette? How do they spend their time together?
6. Why is the couple allowed to be on their own.
7. What happens to the Greek tutor, Ordo?
8. What is the process Nabokov goes through to create a poem?
9. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
10. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Nabokov has always had difficulty sleeping. Part 1) Why? Part 2) What is the purpose of an autobiography? Part 3) What is the purpose of this autobiography?
Essay Topic 2There is a great gulf between classes in early-twentieth century Russia. Part 1) What evidence from the text proves this statement. Part 2) How does this separation of classes affect Russia? Part 3) How might Nabokov's experiences have changed once he emigrates to Western Europe, and finally to the United States? How mighthe feel about these changes?
Essay Topic 3What is significant about Nabokov's time spent in Biarritz? What does one learn about his character and view of women?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)