|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nabokov reveal about his mind?
2. Where do the children bathe?
3. What does Nabokov's mother do on the trip to Paris?
4. What does the butterfly net in particular always invite?
5. What does Nabokov investigate about his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening in the science of butterflies?
2. Explain the process used to create this book.
3. What jobs does Nabokov's father hold throughout his career?
4. The local schoolmaster is brought in to give the children a crash course in the Russian language. What takes place at a meeting between the father, son, and schoolmaster?
5. How does young Nabokov react to rumor that his father has challenged someone to a duel?
6. In 1910, the Nabokov brothers acquire teeth braces. How does their father reward them for dealing with the dental sessions?
7. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
8. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
9. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
10. What does he learn about himself, regarding Russian poets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Nabokov family's lifestyle before exile contradict with the father's philosophy? Why might there be this discrepancy? What do you think is the opinion of the father about his family's lifestyle in Western Europe? Use information from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great gulf between classes in early-twentieth century Russia.
Part 1) What evidence from the text proves this statement.
Part 2) How does this separation of classes affect Russia?
Part 3) How might Nabokov's experiences have changed once he emigrates to Western Europe, and finally to the United States? How mighthe feel about these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Nabokov matures throughout this book.
Part 1) What evidence is there from the text that Nabokov is changing physically and emotionally?
Part 2) How does his father handle Nabokov's intimate questions, regarding changes in his body?
Part 3) Describe his relationships with girls. How do these relationships change as he grows up?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)