|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nabokov called in exile?
(a) A white Russian.
(b) A ymigry.
(c) An immigrant.
(d) A dirty Russian.
2. What does Vladimir do before hurrying young Nabokov along to school?
(a) He has him take a bath.
(b) He makes sure he eats breakfast.
(c) He bends down to kiss Nabokov.
(d) He checks his school work.
3. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
(a) A Polish tutor.
(b) The schoolmaster.
(c) A Greek spelling tutor.
(d) A Ukrainian mathematician.
4. What does he describe with obvious revelry?
(a) The feeling of isolation and contentment when writing a work of poetry.
(b) The feeling of selfless isolation that such prolonged expenditures of concentration engenders.
(c) The feeling of power and excertion in playing a game of lawn tennis with family and friends.
(d) The feeling of freedom in hunting and capturing a new species of butterfly.
5. On what does the rest of the family live?
(a) On an estate in Germany.
(b) On government assistance.
(c) His father's retirement check.
(d) On the sale of a handful of family jewels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the relationship between Kirill, the younger brother, and Nabokov more like that of distant friends?
2. What does the revolution do to most of the Russian writers and artists?
3. What casts a cloud over the exiled Russian intelligentsia?
4. Though he is an excellent teacher to the Nabokov boys, what does Lenski find difficult?
5. After Cambridge, how is Nabokov's life?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)