|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening in the larger cities of Western Europe?
(a) They are not allowing Russians to immigrate to their countries.
(b) Russian writers and artists have a considerable presence.
(c) They are unhappy about the number of Russians.
(d) They are losing Russian immigrants.
2. What is publication like outside of Russia?
(a) A well-paying, satisfying career.
(b) Better than in the United States.
(c) Often insufficiently lucrative to provide a comfortable existence.
(d) Not as good as in Russia.
3. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(b) To give them mathematics lessons.
(c) To give them French lessons.
(d) To give them writing lessons.
4. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
(a) They have the same steadiness of thought.
(b) They are filled with mistakes.
(c) They are both boring.
(d) They are inspiring.
5. What does the revolution do to most of the Russian writers and artists?
(a) Sends them into exile.
(b) Hires them to write about the revolution.
(c) Increases their fame.
(d) Gives them subjects for their work.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does the rest of the family live?
2. What does Vladimir do before hurrying young Nabokov along to school?
3. How does Lett punish the boys?
4. At what does Nabokov hint about Sergey?
5. What does Nabokov confess about Yuri and himself?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)