|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What casts a cloud over the exiled Russian intelligentsia?
(a) The inability to publish in their home country.
(b) Their inability to speak English.
(c) Their inability to move to another European coutnry.
(d) Their inabiltiy to move to the United States.
2. What is the purpose of the Constituent Assembly?
(a) To give power to the Soviets.
(b) To support the Soviets.
(c) To encourage Soviet control.
(d) Tries to limit the extent of Soviet control.
3. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A game.
(b) A tool to make household chores easier.
(c) A way to distract siblings.
(d) A weapon.
4. Why is Lenski working as a tutor?
(a) To put himself through graduate school at the University in St. Petersburg.
(b) He loves teaching children.
(c) To put his son through undergraduate school at Cambridge.
(d) He is paying off a debt to Nabokov's father.
5. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
(a) They have the same steadiness of thought.
(b) They are inspiring.
(c) They are filled with mistakes.
(d) They are both boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fills Nabokov with surprise, while roller-skating?
2. Who rents a modest summer cottage called a dachka?
3. Why does Nabokov have secret spots?
4. Why is Nabokov's tutor rebuked by his mother?
5. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)