|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them French lessons.
(b) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(c) To give them mathematics lessons.
(d) To give them writing lessons.
2. What happens, when winter comes, to their love affair?
(a) It has to endure a life of closer scrutiny.
(b) It fades to nothing.
(c) It ends.
(d) It comes out in the open.
3. What does Nabokov remember about his father's remarkable writing ability?
(a) He could spell any word.
(b) He is very poetic.
(c) He has beautiful handwriting.
(d) He could write sentence after sentence without correction.
4. Why does Nabokov have secret spots?
(a) He finds them while writing poetry.
(b) He has found them in pursuit of butterflies.
(c) He and Tamara find the secret spots.
(d) He and his brother play in the secret spots.
5. While he is writing a poem, to what is he prone?
(a) Long lapses of attention to the world around him.
(b) To wander aimlessly through the forest.
(c) To bounce ideas off his mother.
(d) To sing to himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nabokov meet at the age of sixteen?
2. How does Lett punish the boys?
3. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
4. Once, upon returning from the park with a poem freshly in his mind, what does he do?
5. What casts a cloud over the exiled Russian intelligentsia?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)