|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them French lessons.
(b) To give them mathematics lessons.
(c) To give them writing lessons.
(d) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
2. Why does Sergey end up in a concentration camp?
(a) He humiliated a high-ranking official.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) Due to his outspoken opposition to the regime.
(d) He is captured by the Nazis as a POW.
3. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A way to distract siblings.
(b) A game.
(c) A tool to make household chores easier.
(d) A weapon.
4. What does she tell him when he is finished reciting the poem?
(a) She proclaims it wonderful and beyond compare.
(b) He should have it published.
(c) Studying butterflies is a better way to spend one's day.
(d) He should find another hobby.
5. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
(a) They are inspiring.
(b) They have the same steadiness of thought.
(c) They are filled with mistakes.
(d) They are both boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vladimir do before hurrying young Nabokov along to school?
2. In 1914, a sixteen-year-old Yuri visits the Nabokovs,and what does he produce?
3. What precaution does Nabokov's father take?
4. Why is Lenski working as a tutor?
5. Who rents a modest summer cottage called a dachka?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)