|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nabokov's mother do on the trip to Paris?
(b) Watches as Russian, and then German, towns glide by.
(c) Plays games with her children.
(d) Talks to her husband.
2. Who is referred to simply as "Mademoiselle?"
(a) The tutor.
(b) His aunt.
(c) The governess.
(d) His sister.
3. What is memorable about this first memory?
(a) He wonders where his parents are.
(b) He understands that everyone must eat.
(c) He realizes he has the ability to control his own body.
(d) He understands that he is a separate being from his father and mother.
4. When do they arrive in Paris?
(a) Early afternoon.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) Early morning.
(d) Late afternoon.
5. Of what are Nabokov's memories in a Russian setting?
(a) A quite German childhood.
(b) A quite Russian childhood.
(c) A quite French childhood.
(d) A quite English childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
2. In exile in America, when a ranger or marshal spots him traipsing into the backwoods, net in hand, what is he asked?
3. Why does Young Vladimir favor the new methods of studying butterflies?
4. From where does Mademoiselle come?
5. With what is the aristocratic Nabokov house stocked?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1910, the Nabokov brothers acquire teeth braces. How does their father reward them for dealing with the dental sessions?
2. Why might be the reason for the Nabokov's leaving Europe?
3. How do the Nabokovs travel from St. Petersburg to Paris?
4. What schooling does Nabokov's father receive?
5. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel? Why?
6. The local schoolmaster is brought in to give the children a crash course in the Russian language. What takes place at a meeting between the father, son, and schoolmaster?
7. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
8. Who is Tamara?
9. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
10. What is happening in the science of butterflies?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)