|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In any of the memories he has from before his obsession began, Nabokov cannot recall the presence of butterflies. What can he recall afterward?
(a) He is constantly finding new species.
(b) Not very many butterflies, because most Russian varieties are extinct.
(c) He cannot remember the outdoors without them.
(d) He cannot find nearly as many butterflies as he thought he would.
2. Though many doubt this ailment, What happens to Ivanovich?
(a) He ends up with scoliosis.
(b) He dies of a heart ailment.
(c) He slips a disc.
(d) He dies from lung cancer.
3. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
(a) Heart disease.
4. Why, when Nabokov is a child, is he terrified of the dark?
(a) He seems to lose himself in the pitch black.
(b) He is afraid his home will catch on fire.
(c) He thinks burglars will come into his room.
(d) He is afraid of monsters under his bed.
5. What is their mother's reaction when she sees that her children have opened the presents from their stockings early and poorly rewrapped them?
(a) She laughs at their attempt at deception.
(b) She scolds them for trying to deceive her.
(c) She pretends to not see their poor rewrapping.
(d) She spots their deception and bursts into tears.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
2. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
3. What is the common name for Boletusoften?
4. How does the Nabokov family frequently travel from St. Petersburg to Paris?
5. What is a battle against the yawning darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kirill?
2. Who are the tutors hired to educate the Nabokov children?
3. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
4. How does Nabokov meet Mademoiselle after she leaves Russia?
5. The local schoolmaster is brought in to give the children a crash course in the Russian language. What takes place at a meeting between the father, son, and schoolmaster?
6. How does young Nabokov react to rumor that his father has challenged someone to a duel?
7. What does he learn about himself, regarding Russian poets?
8. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
9. The aristocratic Nabokov house is stocked with English and French amenities. What are some of the amenities?
10. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)