|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
(a) In France.
(b) In London.
(c) In Russia.
(d) In Greece.
2. In exile in America, when a ranger or marshal spots him traipsing into the backwoods, net in hand, what is he asked?
(a) If he has a fishing license.
(b) What the net is for.
(c) What he is doing in the woods.
(d) Where his guide is.
3. In any of the memories he has from before his obsession began, Nabokov cannot recall the presence of butterflies. What can he recall afterward?
(a) He cannot remember the outdoors without them.
(b) Not very many butterflies, because most Russian varieties are extinct.
(c) He cannot find nearly as many butterflies as he thought he would.
(d) He is constantly finding new species.
4. Why is he detained briefly in 1918, by a Bolshevik soldier?
(a) He is accused him of signaling British warships with his net.
(b) He is evading the draft.
(c) He has run away from the Red Army.
(d) He is trying to escape the country.
5. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
(a) Playing in the yard on the estate.
(b) Going on a picnic with his mother and father.
(c) Holding hands with his mother and father, as the three of them walk along a garden path in 1903,
(d) Being fed by his nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the first-class carriages feature?
2. How does the family spend their time in this town?
3. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
4. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
5. How long does the family stay in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nabokov experience in Crimea?
2. How does Nabokov meet Mademoiselle after she leaves Russia?
3. What is the process Nabokov goes through to create a poem?
4. Describe Nabokov's ancestors.
5. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel? Why?
6. What happens to the family once they leave Russia?
7. Who is Tamara?
8. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
9. Who is Mademoiselle?
10. What is Nabokov's life like after leaving Cambridge?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)