|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Young Vladimir favor the new methods of studying butterflies?
(a) They are easier to use.
(b) They are more exciting.
(c) He enjoys delving into the minutiae of the subject.
(d) They are more efficient.
2. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
3. What do the first-class carriages feature?
(a) Leather-covered walls, large mirrors, and wide windows.
(b) Live music, leather seats, and large mirrors.
(c) Servants at every entrance, caviar, and live music.
(d) Leather-covered walls, leather seats, and wide windows.
4. To what does Nabokov compare existence?
(a) A rollercoaster ride.
(b) The seconds on a clock.
(c) A cradle rocking on the edge of an abyss.
(d) The sands in an hourglass.
5. Who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad?
(a) Nabokov's cousin, Yuri.
(b) Vyra, Nabokov's wife.
(c) Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich.
(d) Nabokov's father, Dmitri.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nabokov's father force the family to leave a sidewalk cafe?
2. From where is the family returning to Russia?
3. Though many doubt this ailment, What happens to Ivanovich?
4. They board the Sud-Express and disembark in what town?
5. When does Nabokov eventually discover a new species?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a difficulty that Russian writers endure?
2. What does young Vladimir think about when he wakes in the morning?
3. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
4. What is happening in the science of butterflies?
5. What is Nabokov's life like after leaving Cambridge?
6. What happens to the Greek tutor, Ordo?
7. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
8. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
9. What evidence from the text shows that Nabokov is beginning to have an interest in girls?
10. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)