|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
(a) His mother's maternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
(b) His father's maternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
(c) His father's paternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
(d) His mother's paternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
2. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
(a) Two of Vladimir's girlfriends.
(b) Two of Vladimir's tutors.
(c) Two of Vladimir's governesses.
(d) Two of Vladimir's aunts.
3. What does Nabokov investigate about his family?
(a) The family's coat of arms.
(b) Their country of origin.
(c) Their religion.
(d) Their relationship to the tsar.
4. What is the common name for Boletusoften?
(a) Red geraniums.
(b) Tropical hibiscus.
(c) Blue grass.
(d) Tube mushrooms.
5. The rest of the chapters are published separately, mainly by whom?
(a) The St. Petersburg Publishing House.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad?
2. Soon, the string of nurses transforms into what?
3. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
4. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
5. What is a battle against the yawning darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
2. The aristocratic Nabokov house is stocked with English and French amenities. What are some of the amenities?
3. The local schoolmaster is brought in to give the children a crash course in the Russian language. What takes place at a meeting between the father, son, and schoolmaster?
4. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
5. Why might be the reason for the Nabokov's leaving Europe?
6. Explain the process used to create this book.
7. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
8. What is known about the chapters prior to the writing of this book?
9. How are the Nabokov's affected by their son? What do we learn about Dmitri, as he grows?
10. What is the process Nabokov goes through to create a poem?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)