|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is referred to simply as "Mademoiselle?"
(a) His sister.
(b) The governess.
(c) The tutor.
(d) His aunt.
2. They board the Sud-Express and disembark in what town?
3. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
(a) The revolution has ended.
(b) The father is in trouble with the police.
(c) Their religion is being persecuted.
(d) Their visas have expired.
4. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
(a) In Russia.
(b) In London.
(c) In Greece.
(d) In France.
5. Each day, when he awakes, how can young Vladimir tell what kind of day it is?
(a) By having the servants open the curtains.
(b) By the character of the light that slips through the shutters.
(c) By looking out of the window.
(d) By asking his mother to check the weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Mademoiselle spend with the family?
2. What is happening to the science of butterflies at this time?
3. When do they arrive in Paris?
4. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
5. What does Young Vladimir discover in the family's attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. When does Nabokov meet Colette? How do they spend their time together?
3. What is known about the chapters prior to the writing of this book?
4. Who is Tamara?
5. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
6. Where do they head to from Paris? What do they do when they get there?
7. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
8. How does Nabokov meet Mademoiselle after she leaves Russia?
9. Why does Nabokov have trouble sleeping?
10. Describe Nabokov's mother.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)