|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is young Vladimir obsessed?
(b) Hunting wild animals on his family's estate.
(c) The science of butterflies and the thrill of the hunt.
(d) Playing the piano with his father.
2. What would change throughout Nabokov's childhood, depending on the prevailing advice of the family's current medical consultant?
(a) The medicines his mother uses.
(b) The temperature in his home.
(c) How much he exercises.
(d) The temperature of the bath water.
3. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
(a) Being fed by his nanny.
(b) Going on a picnic with his mother and father.
(c) Holding hands with his mother and father, as the three of them walk along a garden path in 1903,
(d) Playing in the yard on the estate.
4. What is memorable about this first memory?
(a) He understands that everyone must eat.
(b) He realizes he has the ability to control his own body.
(c) He understands that he is a separate being from his father and mother.
(d) He wonders where his parents are.
5. Why is he detained briefly in 1918, by a Bolshevik soldier?
(a) He has run away from the Red Army.
(b) He is trying to escape the country.
(c) He is evading the draft.
(d) He is accused him of signaling British warships with his net.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nabokov's mother do on the trip to Paris?
2. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
3. When does Nabokov see Mademoiselle again after she is no longer in their household?
4. Where does Nabokov's family live until his father's death in 1922?
5. Why is Nabokov disappointed to hear that one of his tutors marries a peasant girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong about the books that young Vladimir finds in the attic?
2. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
3. How is Nabokov's experience at Cambridge?
4. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
5. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
6. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
7. What happens to the family once they leave Russia?
8. How does Nabokov begin this final chapter?
9. What is known about the chapters prior to the writing of this book?
10. Describe Nabokov's mother.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)