|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
(b) Lawn bowling.
(c) Lawn tennis.
2. When do they arrive in Paris?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) Late afternoon.
(c) Early afternoon.
(d) Early morning.
3. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
(a) Two of Vladimir's tutors.
(b) Two of Vladimir's aunts.
(c) Two of Vladimir's girlfriends.
(d) Two of Vladimir's governesses.
4. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
5. Why does Vasiliy insist upon lying supine on the floor?
(a) He claims it improves his posture.
(b) He claims it helps him breathe better.
(c) He claims it relieves his chest pains.
(d) He claims it stretches out his spine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what descent is Nabokov's mother?
2. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
3. What is seen as a dreaded event?
4. What properties do the Nabokovs own until the Russian revolution?
5. To what is Nabokov's mother quite sensitive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
2. What happens to the family once they leave Russia?
3. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
4. Describe Nabokov's encounters with his cousin, Yuri.
5. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
6. Why is Nabokov angry with the Bolsheviks? What is the cause of this anger?
7. The aristocratic Nabokov house is stocked with English and French amenities. What are some of the amenities?
8. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
9. What does he learn about himself, regarding Russian poets?
10. Describe Nabokov's mother.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)