|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mystifies the two boys about Mademoiselle?
(a) She reads many novels to the boys, all in French, with a smooth, gentle voice.
(b) She is kind most of the timea but can easily lose her temper.
(d) She has children that visit her once a month, but she never allows the two boys to play with her children.
2. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
(b) Heart disease.
3. Why does Young Vladimir favor the new methods of studying butterflies?
(a) They are easier to use.
(b) They are more exciting.
(c) He enjoys delving into the minutiae of the subject.
(d) They are more efficient.
4. Who are some of the ancestors on Nabokov's paternal, Russian side?
(a) A prominent Caholic cardinal, a physician, and Dmitri Nabokov, an inventor.
(b) An explorer, the sister of a prominent Decembrist, and Dmitri Nabokov, the author's grandfather, who served as Minister of Justice for eight years.
(c) A lawyer, scientist, and Dmitri Nabokov, a well-known actor.
(d) A government leader, an opera singer, and Dmitri Nabokov, the surgeon.
5. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
(a) Two of Vladimir's girlfriends.
(b) Two of Vladimir's aunts.
(c) Two of Vladimir's tutors.
(d) Two of Vladimir's governesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nabokov's mother do on the trip to Paris?
2. Each day, when he awakes, how can young Vladimir tell what kind of day it is?
3. It is unusual for aristocrats in Russian to be hanged, and as a child, what does Nabokov call the trail through the woods on the estate where a previous owner had been hanged?
4. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
5. When does Nabokov see Mademoiselle again after she is no longer in their household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
2. Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich, is a diplomat and a dreamer, who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad. What story does Nabokov recall about his uncle?
3. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
4. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
5. What is the process Nabokov goes through to create a poem?
6. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
7. Describe Nabokov's ancestors.
8. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
9. Who is Tamara?
10. When does Nabokov begin to write poetry?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)