|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Young Vladimir favor the new methods of studying butterflies?
(a) They are more exciting.
(b) They are easier to use.
(c) They are more efficient.
(d) He enjoys delving into the minutiae of the subject.
2. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
3. When does Nabokov eventually discover a new species?
(a) As a small boy in Russia.
(b) At Cambridge.
(c) Not until he is an old man, living in exile in the United States.
(d) In Germany visiting his family.
4. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
(a) His father's paternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
(b) His mother's paternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
(c) His father's maternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
(d) His mother's maternal grandfather, Nikolay Illarionovich Kozlov.
5. What is memorable about this first memory?
(a) He understands that he is a separate being from his father and mother.
(b) He realizes he has the ability to control his own body.
(c) He wonders where his parents are.
(d) He understands that everyone must eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad?
2. The rest of the chapters are published separately, mainly by whom?
3. Why does Nabokov's mother often wander the estate's forest?
4. How does the family spend their time in this town?
5. Soon, the string of nurses transforms into what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
2. Who are the tutors hired to educate the Nabokov children?
3. Who is Tamara?
4. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
5. How does Nabokov meet Mademoiselle after she leaves Russia?
6. Describe Nabokov's mother.
7. Why is Nabokov angry with the Bolsheviks? What is the cause of this anger?
8. Explain the process used to create this book.
9. How do the Nabokovs travel from St. Petersburg to Paris?
10. Why does Mademoiselle want to leave the family?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)