|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
(a) Nabokov's mother talks her into staying
(b) Nabokov's mother threatens her.
(c) Nabokov's mother gives her gifts.
(d) Nabokov's mother gives her a raise.
2. It is unusual for aristocrats in Russian to be hanged, and as a child, what does Nabokov call the trail through the woods on the estate where a previous owner had been hanged?
(a) The "Hanging Rope."
(b) The "Path of the Hanged."
(c) The "Road to a Hanging."
(d) The "walk of the Hanged One."
3. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
(a) Going on a picnic with his mother and father.
(b) Holding hands with his mother and father, as the three of them walk along a garden path in 1903,
(c) Being fed by his nanny.
(d) Playing in the yard on the estate.
4. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
(a) In Greece.
(b) In France.
(c) In Russia.
(d) In London.
5. How does the Nabokov family frequently travel from St. Petersburg to Paris?
(a) In a sleigh.
(b) By stagecoach.
(c) In the elegant brown Nord-Express train
(d) By horse and carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
2. In any of the memories he has from before his obsession began, Nabokov cannot recall the presence of butterflies. What can he recall afterward?
3. Soon, the string of nurses transforms into what?
4. Why does Nabokov's father force the family to leave a sidewalk cafe?
5. When does Nabokov eventually discover a new species?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does young Nabokov react to rumor that his father has challenged someone to a duel?
2. What does the Russian revolution do to most of Russia's writers and artists?
3. What is happening in the science of butterflies?
4. What happens to Dimitri Nabokov after his retirement?
5. Vladimir and his brother, Sergey, go through a series of nurses and governesses. Describe some of his memories of these women.
6. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
7. Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich, is a diplomat and a dreamer, who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad. What story does Nabokov recall about his uncle?
8. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
9. What evidence from the text shows that Nabokov is beginning to have an interest in girls?
10. How do the Nabokovs travel from St. Petersburg to Paris?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)