|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Nabokov compare existence?
(a) The seconds on a clock.
(b) A cradle rocking on the edge of an abyss.
(c) A rollercoaster ride.
(d) The sands in an hourglass.
2. When does Nabokov see Mademoiselle again after she is no longer in their household?
(a) In London while Nabokov is at Cambridge.
(b) In New York after the family emigrates to the U.S.
(c) In Paris right before the war.
(d) In Lausanne after the war.
3. What are two events that Nabokov remembers watching outside his mother's window?
(a) The training of horses and the village children on their way to school.
(b) Mr. Burness' arrival nad the village children on their way to school.
(c) The training of horses and the revolutionary action in the street.
(d) Mr. Burness' arrival and the revolutionary action in the street.
4. Though many doubt this ailment, What happens to Ivanovich?
(a) He slips a disc.
(b) He dies from lung cancer.
(c) He ends up with scoliosis.
(d) He dies of a heart ailment.
5. Why does Nabokov's mother often wander the estate's forest?
(a) It helps clear her mind.
(b) She loves the estate property.
(c) She becomes lost easily.
(d) To search for mushrooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nabokov disappointed to hear that one of his tutors marries a peasant girl?
2. Why does Nabokov's father force the family to leave a sidewalk cafe?
3. What does Nabokov learn to read and write before Russian or French?
4. What is seen as a dreaded event?
5. To what simple rule does Nabokov's mother ascribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nabokov's mother.
2. Where do they head to from Paris? What do they do when they get there?
3. Describe Nabokov's ancestors.
4. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
5. What does young Vladimir think about when he wakes in the morning?
6. Who is Tamara?
7. What are Vladimir and Colette caught doing?
8. Describe Nabokov's brother, Sergey.
9. How does young Nabokov react to rumor that his father has challenged someone to a duel?
10. What is cause is Vladimir's passion?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)