|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. They board the Sud-Express and disembark in what town?
2. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
(a) Nabokov's mother talks her into staying
(b) Nabokov's mother gives her a raise.
(c) Nabokov's mother threatens her.
(d) Nabokov's mother gives her gifts.
3. Where does Nabokov's family live until his father's death in 1922?
(a) In Hamburg.
(b) In Berlin.
(c) In Brussels.
(d) In Paris.
4. Who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad?
(a) Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich.
(b) Nabokov's father, Dmitri.
(c) Vyra, Nabokov's wife.
(d) Nabokov's cousin, Yuri.
5. Why is Nabokov disappointed to hear that one of his tutors marries a peasant girl?
(a) He thinks he should have married his aunt.
(b) He thinks he should have married someone in a higher social class.
(c) He thinks he should have married one of his sisters.
(d) He thinks of his tutors as people devoted to their art or profession.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what are Nabokov's memories in a Russian setting?
2. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
3. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
4. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
5. What do the first-class carriages feature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the tutors hired to educate the Nabokov children?
2. Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich, is a diplomat and a dreamer, who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad. What story does Nabokov recall about his uncle?
3. Explain the process used to create this book.
4. Where do they head to from Paris? What do they do when they get there?
5. Why is Nabokov angry with the Bolsheviks? What is the cause of this anger?
6. Nabokov is surprised to learn of what happens to several of his art teachers in the future. Why?
7. What are Vladimir and Colette caught doing?
8. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
9. How does Nabokov begin this final chapter?
10. Why might be the reason for the Nabokov's leaving Europe?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)