|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mademoiselle provide Vladimir with an extra hour or two out of the darkness?
(a) The light from her lamp gives a little light to his room.
(b) She allows him to fall asleep in her room.
(c) She leaves a candle lit by his bed.
(d) He sits with him while he falls asleep.
2. Why is Nabokov disappointed to hear that one of his tutors marries a peasant girl?
(a) He thinks he should have married his aunt.
(b) He thinks he should have married someone in a higher social class.
(c) He thinks he should have married one of his sisters.
(d) He thinks of his tutors as people devoted to their art or profession.
3. How long does the family stay in Paris?
(a) One night.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
4. From where does Mademoiselle come?
5. For whom is young Vladimir mistaken?
(a) A Swedish boy.
(b) An English boy.
(c) A German boy.
(d) An American boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of his other memories?
2. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
3. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
4. What does Nabokov call the process of using both the English and Russian translations of "Speak, Memory" to shape the current work?
5. To what is Nabokov's mother quite sensitive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong about the books that young Vladimir finds in the attic?
2. What evidence does the chapter give of Nabokov's bourgeois, aristocratic life?
3. He also had several art instructors. Who are they and what does he learn from them?
4. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
5. What does young Vladimir think about when he wakes in the morning?
6. Describe Nabokov's ancestors.
7. How does his butterfly hobby affect his life?
8. Who is Tamara?
9. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel? Why?
10. What is happening in the science of butterflies?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)