|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
(d) Heart disease.
2. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
(a) Playing in the yard on the estate.
(b) Being fed by his nanny.
(c) Going on a picnic with his mother and father.
(d) Holding hands with his mother and father, as the three of them walk along a garden path in 1903,
3. What does this thriving upper-class tourist industry offer?
(a) Expensive restaurants, street vendors, and swimming lessons.
(b) Vendors lining the beach and even servants in the change huts to assist in the removal of bathing suits.
(c) Gambling, live theatre, and music.
(d) Live performances, pubs and restaurants, and bicycles to rent.
4. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
5. What does Nabokov's mother do on the trip to Paris?
(a) Plays games with her children.
(b) Talks to her husband.
(d) Watches as Russian, and then German, towns glide by.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is the aristocratic Nabokov house stocked?
2. For whom is young Vladimir mistaken?
3. Why, when Nabokov is a child, is he terrified of the dark?
4. When do they arrive in Paris?
5. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What jobs does Nabokov's father hold throughout his career?
2. What evidence is there showing that Nabokov and Tamara's relationship is not as innocent as his parents may think it is.
3. What memory leads to an important memory about his father?
4. What are Vladimir and Colette caught doing?
5. How does Nabokov describe the poet?
6. How does Nabokov's autobiography begin?
7. The aristocratic Nabokov house is stocked with English and French amenities. What are some of the amenities?
8. Describe Nabokov's encounters with his cousin, Yuri.
9. What does Max do, regarding the watchdogs?
10. Nabokov reveals that his mind always associates sounds with colors. How does his mother react to this unusual sensibility?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)