|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tutor looks like the French actor Max Linder?
(a) A Greek spelling teacher.
(b) A polish medical student.
(c) A graduate student.
(d) A Russian literature tutor.
2. What does Nabokov confess about Yuri and himself?
(a) They know nothing about America.
(b) The devastation of war is new to them.
(c) The "slums of sex" were unknown to both of them.
(d) They wish they had girlfriends.
3. At what does Nabokov hint about Sergey?
(a) His possible homosexuality.
(b) His desire to join the military.
(c) His wish to emigrate to America.
(d) His interest in a girl.
4. Other than his wife, what does Nabokov claim about his good friends?
(a) He has many.
(b) To have made no more than two good friends over a span of twenty years.
(c) They are artists and writers, like himself.
(d) They are all writers.
5. While he is writing a poem, to what is he prone?
(a) To bounce ideas off his mother.
(b) To sing to himself.
(c) Long lapses of attention to the world around him.
(d) To wander aimlessly through the forest.
6. What puts Nabokov at odds with many of his colleagues?
(a) His Russian accent.
(b) His opinions of the state of affairs in his home country.
(c) His desire to emigrate to the United States.
(d) His inability to speak English.
7. How does Nabokov describe the poet?
(a) A man of simple words.
(b) A man he wishes to be.
(c) A man who can describe any setting.
(d) A man who can feel and interpret everything that is happening in any single moment.
8. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
(a) A Greek spelling tutor.
(b) A Polish tutor.
(c) A Ukrainian mathematician.
(d) The schoolmaster.
9. What is publication like outside of Russia?
(a) A well-paying, satisfying career.
(b) Not as good as in Russia.
(c) Better than in the United States.
(d) Often insufficiently lucrative to provide a comfortable existence.
10. Why is Nabokov's tutor rebuked by his mother?
(a) He spies on the young couple.
(b) He is being rude to her children.
(c) He is not doing an adequate job.
(d) He is repeatedly late.
11. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel?
(a) Paul Bunyan.
(b) Johnny Appleseed.
(c) Bonnie and Clyde.
(d) The Headless Horseman.
12. What does Vladimir continue to do while in exile in Berlin?
(a) Own property in Russia.
(b) Work for the Russian government.
(c) Take his family to France for the summers.
(d) Write about human rights.
13. What does he describe with obvious revelry?
(a) The feeling of power and excertion in playing a game of lawn tennis with family and friends.
(b) The feeling of freedom in hunting and capturing a new species of butterfly.
(c) The feeling of isolation and contentment when writing a work of poetry.
(d) The feeling of selfless isolation that such prolonged expenditures of concentration engenders.
14. How many children do the Nabokovs eventually have?
15. When does his first poem take shape in his mind?
(a) During a sudden thunderstorm.
(b) While sitting with his mother.
(c) During a theatrical performance.
(d) While searching for butterflies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Nabokov spend hours?
2. During this time, of what does Nabokov seem incapable?
3. To where do the boys win scholarships?
4. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
5. The boredom of the audience at these poetry performances is obvious to everyone but whom?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)