|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sergey end up in a concentration camp?
(a) Due to his outspoken opposition to the regime.
(b) He is captured by the Nazis as a POW.
(c) He humiliated a high-ranking official.
(d) He is Jewish.
2. Who finds himself surrounded by social elites whose view of the Revolution is, at least at first, far more positive than his own?
3. What is the purpose of the Constituent Assembly?
(a) To encourage Soviet control.
(b) Tries to limit the extent of Soviet control.
(c) To give power to the Soviets.
(d) To support the Soviets.
4. What is the last Nabokov hears of Lenski?
(a) He is scrapping by, selling painted seashells on the Riviera in France.
(b) He is a professor at the University of Paris.
(c) He is working as an actor in London.
(d) He owns a restaurant in Dublin.
5. What is Vladimir elected to, which the Tsar dissolves?
(a) Russian House of Burgesses.
(b) Russian Congress.
(c) First Russian Parliament.
(d) First Russian Senate.
6. While he is writing a poem, to what is he prone?
(a) To bounce ideas off his mother.
(b) To sing to himself.
(c) Long lapses of attention to the world around him.
(d) To wander aimlessly through the forest.
7. The boredom of the audience at these poetry performances is obvious to everyone but whom?
8. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them writing lessons.
(b) To give them mathematics lessons.
(c) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(d) To give them French lessons.
9. What is a crippling experience for him?
(a) Speaking English.
(b) Writing poetry in Russian.
(c) Falling off a horse.
(d) Contracting polio.
10. At what does Nabokov hint about Sergey?
(a) His desire to join the military.
(b) His possible homosexuality.
(c) His interest in a girl.
(d) His wish to emigrate to America.
11. Why does Nabokov ride his bike each afternoon past the house of the family's head coachmen?
(a) He needs to apologize to the coachman.
(b) He wants to learn how to drive a coach.
(c) The coachman's daughter, Polenka, watches him ride by.
(d) He wants to see his prize stallion.
12. How many children do the Nabokovs eventually have?
13. Why does Max endear himself to the dogs?
(a) He loves dogs.
(b) He would like to own a kennel of his own some day.
(c) He is initially afraid of them, so he gives them treats, so they will stay calm.
(d) So they do not raise the alarm when he comes back from his late night trysts.
14. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
(a) The schoolmaster.
(b) A Greek spelling tutor.
(c) A Polish tutor.
(d) A Ukrainian mathematician.
15. Nabokov develops a fondness for what?
(a) Composing chess problems.
(b) Lawn tennis.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this time, of what does Nabokov seem incapable?
2. What makes becoming a Russian novelist an uphill battle for Nabokov at Cambridge?
3. How does Nabokov's father die?
4. When does his first poem take shape in his mind?
5. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)