Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them mathematics lessons.
(b) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(c) To give them writing lessons.
(d) To give them French lessons.
2. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A tool to make household chores easier.
(b) A game.
(c) A weapon.
(d) A way to distract siblings.
3. Who does Nabokov meet at the age of sixteen?
(a) His cousin, Yuri.
(b) A young girl named Colette.
(c) A young girl named Tamara.
(d) His youngest brother.
4. Vladimir is raised by his own share of governesses and tutors but where does he go at the age of 13?
(a) Poly Preparatory.
(b) St. Petersburg Academy.
(c) The Gymnasium.
(d) Berkshire Boys Academy.
5. Who does Nabokov marry?
6. While he is writing a poem, to what is he prone?
(a) To wander aimlessly through the forest.
(b) Long lapses of attention to the world around him.
(c) To bounce ideas off his mother.
(d) To sing to himself.
7. What is Vladimir elected to, which the Tsar dissolves?
(a) Russian House of Burgesses.
(b) Russian Congress.
(c) First Russian Senate.
(d) First Russian Parliament.
8. How does Nabokov describe the poet?
(a) A man who can describe any setting.
(b) A man who can feel and interpret everything that is happening in any single moment.
(c) A man he wishes to be.
(d) A man of simple words.
9. Why is Nabokov's tutor rebuked by his mother?
(a) He spies on the young couple.
(b) He is not doing an adequate job.
(c) He is repeatedly late.
(d) He is being rude to her children.
10. What happens to Yuri in northern Crimea?
(a) He is captured.
(b) He is married.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He converts to Catholicism.
11. What is one thing he recalls suddenly becoming aware of while creating a poem?
(a) He's standing in the rain.
(b) His father is speaking to him.
(c) His mother is removing a plate of untouched food from in front of him.
(d) He has forgotten part of the poem.
12. What does Vladimir do before hurrying young Nabokov along to school?
(a) He checks his school work.
(b) He bends down to kiss Nabokov.
(c) He has him take a bath.
(d) He makes sure he eats breakfast.
13. Who rents a modest summer cottage called a dachka?
(a) Colette parents.
(b) The Nabokov family.
(c) Nabokov's uncle.
(d) Tamara's parents.
14. How would Nabokov spend hours?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Chasing butterflies.
(c) With a chess board in front of him.
(d) Playing lawn tennis.
15. His other brother, Sergey, is only a year younger than Nabokov. The two are raised together, but what makes them different?
(a) They have different fathers.
(b) They have disparate interests.
(c) They have different tutors.
(d) They have different hair color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does she hand him a hand mirror?
2. How does Lett punish the boys?
3. What is publication like outside of Russia?
4. Nabokov develops a fondness for what?
5. What does Nabokov confess about Yuri and himself?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)