|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though he is an excellent teacher to the Nabokov boys, what does Lenski find difficult?
(a) Teaching the boys mathematics.
(b) Teaching the boys to be well-behaved.
(c) His own studies.
(d) Making his lessons interesting.
2. Once, upon returning from the park with a poem freshly in his mind, what does he do?
(a) He recites it to his nanny.
(b) He decides to recite the work to his mother.
(c) He recites it to his grandmother.
(d) He recites it to his sister.
3. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
(a) A Ukrainian mathematician.
(b) A Greek spelling tutor.
(c) The schoolmaster.
(d) A Polish tutor.
4. How does Nabokov describe the poet?
(a) A man who can describe any setting.
(b) A man of simple words.
(c) A man who can feel and interpret everything that is happening in any single moment.
(d) A man he wishes to be.
5. The boredom of the audience at these poetry performances is obvious to everyone but whom?
6. How would Nabokov spend hours?
(a) Chasing butterflies.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Playing lawn tennis.
(d) With a chess board in front of him.
7. Why does Max endear himself to the dogs?
(a) He loves dogs.
(b) He is initially afraid of them, so he gives them treats, so they will stay calm.
(c) So they do not raise the alarm when he comes back from his late night trysts.
(d) He would like to own a kennel of his own some day.
8. Why does she hand him a hand mirror?
(a) His face is covered in dirt.
(b) He has grown so much.
(c) He has a cut on his forehead.
(d) He had smashed a mosquito on his cheek.
9. To where do the boys win scholarships?
(a) Tufts University.
(c) University of Paris.
(d) College of William and Mary.
10. When does his first poem take shape in his mind?
(a) During a sudden thunderstorm.
(b) During a theatrical performance.
(c) While sitting with his mother.
(d) While searching for butterflies.
11. Who is their first spelling tutor?
12. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them mathematics lessons.
(b) To give them French lessons.
(c) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(d) To give them writing lessons.
13. What does Nabokov confess about Yuri and himself?
(a) The devastation of war is new to them.
(b) They know nothing about America.
(c) The "slums of sex" were unknown to both of them.
(d) They wish they had girlfriends.
14. Nabokov develops a fondness for what?
(a) Composing chess problems.
(c) Lawn tennis.
15. His other brother, Sergey, is only a year younger than Nabokov. The two are raised together, but what makes them different?
(a) They have disparate interests.
(b) They have different fathers.
(c) They have different hair color.
(d) They have different tutors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Constituent Assembly?
2. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel?
3. In 1910, what do the Nabokov brothers acquire?
4. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
5. How does Nabokov's father die?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)