|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nabokov's tutor rebuked by his mother?
(a) He is repeatedly late.
(b) He spies on the young couple.
(c) He is not doing an adequate job.
(d) He is being rude to her children.
2. In 1910, what do the Nabokov brothers acquire?
(a) A new nanny.
(b) Teeth braces.
(c) A new estate.
(d) A dog.
3. What does he do with a poem before he writes it down?
(a) He contructs it entirely in his head.
(b) He writes it on a chalkboard.
(c) He discusses his ideas with his father.
(d) He reads the poem to his mother.
4. Who does Nabokov meet at the age of sixteen?
(a) A young girl named Colette.
(b) His cousin, Yuri.
(c) A young girl named Tamara.
(d) His youngest brother.
5. What is happening in the larger cities of Western Europe?
(a) Russian writers and artists have a considerable presence.
(b) They are losing Russian immigrants.
(c) They are not allowing Russians to immigrate to their countries.
(d) They are unhappy about the number of Russians.
6. In 1914, a sixteen-year-old Yuri visits the Nabokovs,and what does he produce?
(a) A girlfriend.
(b) A book for Nabokov.
(c) A new invention.
(d) A cigarette case.
7. What is the purpose of the Constituent Assembly?
(a) Tries to limit the extent of Soviet control.
(b) To encourage Soviet control.
(c) To give power to the Soviets.
(d) To support the Soviets.
8. What does Nabokov confess about Yuri and himself?
(a) They wish they had girlfriends.
(b) The "slums of sex" were unknown to both of them.
(c) They know nothing about America.
(d) The devastation of war is new to them.
9. Though he is an excellent teacher to the Nabokov boys, what does Lenski find difficult?
(a) Teaching the boys mathematics.
(b) Teaching the boys to be well-behaved.
(c) Making his lessons interesting.
(d) His own studies.
10. What precaution does Nabokov's father take?
(a) He sends them to the United States.
(b) He puts them in hiding in St. Petersburg.
(c) He changes their last name
(d) He sends his family to Crimea.
11. His other brother, Sergey, is only a year younger than Nabokov. The two are raised together, but what makes them different?
(a) They have different tutors.
(b) They have disparate interests.
(c) They have different fathers.
(d) They have different hair color.
12. How does Sergei save the brothers from the Bolsheviks on the train?
(a) He shoots at the Bolsheviks.
(b) He convinces them he has typhus and that is why they are traveling alone in a locked compartment.
(c) He holds them out a window.
(d) He convinces the Bolsheviks that he has leprosy.
13. What does Nabokov say they had lost that winter in St. Petersburg?
(a) Their "lovers' nest."
(b) Their "true identities."
(c) Their "sylvan security."
(d) Their "secret hideaway."
14. Who is their first spelling tutor?
15. What is the response to Nabokov's published book of poems?
(a) No response.
(b) Critics are not kind.
(c) Huge praise.
(d) Critics want to see another book published.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Yuri in northern Crimea?
2. What does Nabokov remember about his father's remarkable writing ability?
3. What is publication like outside of Russia?
4. Once, upon returning from the park with a poem freshly in his mind, what does he do?
5. What casts a cloud over the exiled Russian intelligentsia?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)