|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Nabokov's life at Cambridge, compared to his former existence?
(b) Very similar.
(c) Different, but good.
2. In 1914, a sixteen-year-old Yuri visits the Nabokovs,and what does he produce?
(a) A cigarette case.
(b) A new invention.
(c) A book for Nabokov.
(d) A girlfriend.
3. How does Lett punish the boys?
(a) By telling their parents.
(b) By having them sit facing a corner.
(c) By giving them chores to do.
(d) By forcing them to spar with him in the boxing ring.
4. What does Nabokov mean when he says poetry is positional?
(a) It is based on many people's views over a period of time.
(b) It is a description of one human being's place in the universe at a precise moment in time.
(c) It will not change over time.
(d) It can come in many different forms.
5. At what does Nabokov hint about Sergey?
(a) His wish to emigrate to America.
(b) His possible homosexuality.
(c) His desire to join the military.
(d) His interest in a girl.
6. What tutor looks like the French actor Max Linder?
(a) A Greek spelling teacher.
(b) A polish medical student.
(c) A graduate student.
(d) A Russian literature tutor.
7. While he is writing a poem, to what is he prone?
(a) To bounce ideas off his mother.
(b) To sing to himself.
(c) Long lapses of attention to the world around him.
(d) To wander aimlessly through the forest.
8. On what does the rest of the family live?
(a) On the sale of a handful of family jewels.
(b) His father's retirement check.
(c) On an estate in Germany.
(d) On government assistance.
9. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
(a) They are filled with mistakes.
(b) They have the same steadiness of thought.
(c) They are inspiring.
(d) They are both boring.
10. What does Nabokov say they had lost that winter in St. Petersburg?
(a) Their "sylvan security."
(b) Their "lovers' nest."
(c) Their "true identities."
(d) Their "secret hideaway."
11. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A game.
(b) A tool to make household chores easier.
(c) A weapon.
(d) A way to distract siblings.
12. Who does Nabokov marry?
13. What country does the family travel through on their way to London?
14. What does Vladimir continue to do while in exile in Berlin?
(a) Own property in Russia.
(b) Take his family to France for the summers.
(c) Write about human rights.
(d) Work for the Russian government.
15. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cambridge, how is Nabokov's life?
2. What intrigues the young Nabokov about the novel?
3. What does young Nabokov's status as a child of the intelligentsia often do to him?
4. What casts a cloud over the exiled Russian intelligentsia?
5. What does Nabokov remember about his father's remarkable writing ability?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)