|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is publication like outside of Russia?
(a) Often insufficiently lucrative to provide a comfortable existence.
(b) Not as good as in Russia.
(c) A well-paying, satisfying career.
(d) Better than in the United States.
2. What precaution does Nabokov's father take?
(a) He sends them to the United States.
(b) He puts them in hiding in St. Petersburg.
(c) He sends his family to Crimea.
(d) He changes their last name
3. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them writing lessons.
(b) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(c) To give them mathematics lessons.
(d) To give them French lessons.
4. How does Lett punish the boys?
(a) By forcing them to spar with him in the boxing ring.
(b) By giving them chores to do.
(c) By having them sit facing a corner.
(d) By telling their parents.
5. In 1904, who does Nabokov remember meeting for the first time?
(a) His youngest brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His cousin.
6. What intrigues the young Nabokov about the novel?
(a) The description of nature and the American frontier.
(b) Its love of America and the wilderness.
(c) Its mystery and murder.
(d) Its deliberate action and concern for honor.
7. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A game.
(b) A weapon.
(c) A way to distract siblings.
(d) A tool to make household chores easier.
8. Why does she hand him a hand mirror?
(a) His face is covered in dirt.
(b) He had smashed a mosquito on his cheek.
(c) He has a cut on his forehead.
(d) He has grown so much.
9. Other than his wife, what does Nabokov claim about his good friends?
(a) He has many.
(b) To have made no more than two good friends over a span of twenty years.
(c) They are artists and writers, like himself.
(d) They are all writers.
10. On what does the rest of the family live?
(a) On an estate in Germany.
(b) His father's retirement check.
(c) On government assistance.
(d) On the sale of a handful of family jewels.
11. How does Nabokov's father die?
(a) He has a stroke in Berlin.
(b) He is assassinated in Berlin.
(c) He commits suicide in Paris.
(d) He has a heart attack in Paris.
12. What happens, when winter comes, to their love affair?
(a) It has to endure a life of closer scrutiny.
(b) It ends.
(c) It fades to nothing.
(d) It comes out in the open.
13. Who is their first spelling tutor?
14. What is the subject of this chapter?
(a) Nabokov's tutor, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
(b) Nabokov's brother, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
(c) Nabokov's father, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
(d) Nabokov's uncle, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
15. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
(a) A Polish tutor.
(b) The schoolmaster.
(c) A Ukrainian mathematician.
(d) A Greek spelling tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the headstrong Yuri in later life introduce to Nabokov?
2. Why does Nabokov ride his bike each afternoon past the house of the family's head coachmen?
3. What does young Nabokov's status as a child of the intelligentsia often do to him?
4. What does Vladimir continue to do while in exile in Berlin?
5. What types of tutors does Nabokov's father seem to intentionally choose?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)