|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nabokov remember about his father's remarkable writing ability?
(a) He is very poetic.
(b) He could write sentence after sentence without correction.
(c) He could spell any word.
(d) He has beautiful handwriting.
2. What does she tell him when he is finished reciting the poem?
(a) He should find another hobby.
(b) He should have it published.
(c) She proclaims it wonderful and beyond compare.
(d) Studying butterflies is a better way to spend one's day.
3. What fills Nabokov with surprise, while roller-skating?
(a) Colette is also roller-skating.
(b) His mother skates very well.
(c) He is not very good.
(d) An older American girl comments on his excellent skating.
4. What does the headstrong Yuri in later life introduce to Nabokov?
(a) The Wild West fiction of Captain Mayne Reid.
(d) The French language.
5. What does Vladimir do before hurrying young Nabokov along to school?
(a) He makes sure he eats breakfast.
(b) He bends down to kiss Nabokov.
(c) He has him take a bath.
(d) He checks his school work.
6. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
(a) They are inspiring.
(b) They are both boring.
(c) They have the same steadiness of thought.
(d) They are filled with mistakes.
7. What is the last Nabokov hears of Lenski?
(a) He is scrapping by, selling painted seashells on the Riviera in France.
(b) He is a professor at the University of Paris.
(c) He is working as an actor in London.
(d) He owns a restaurant in Dublin.
8. On what does the rest of the family live?
(a) On the sale of a handful of family jewels.
(b) His father's retirement check.
(c) On an estate in Germany.
(d) On government assistance.
9. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A way to distract siblings.
(b) A tool to make household chores easier.
(c) A weapon.
(d) A game.
10. Who rents a modest summer cottage called a dachka?
(a) Tamara's parents.
(b) Nabokov's uncle.
(c) Colette parents.
(d) The Nabokov family.
11. How does Nabokov's father die?
(a) He commits suicide in Paris.
(b) He is assassinated in Berlin.
(c) He has a heart attack in Paris.
(d) He has a stroke in Berlin.
12. What does the revolution do to most of the Russian writers and artists?
(a) Gives them subjects for their work.
(b) Increases their fame.
(c) Sends them into exile.
(d) Hires them to write about the revolution.
13. Why does the relationship fizzle out?
(a) Tamara is tired of him.
(b) Tamara moves back to St. Petersburg and gets a job.
(c) Nabokov's father finds out.
(d) They no longer have anything in common.
14. The boredom of the audience at these poetry performances is obvious to everyone but whom?
15. What is Nabokov called in exile?
(a) A dirty Russian.
(b) An immigrant.
(c) A ymigry.
(d) A white Russian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes becoming a Russian novelist an uphill battle for Nabokov at Cambridge?
2. How is Nabokov's life at Cambridge, compared to his former existence?
3. In 1904, who does Nabokov remember meeting for the first time?
4. What is the subject of this chapter?
5. What country does the family travel through on their way to London?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)