|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What casts a cloud over the exiled Russian intelligentsia?
(a) The inability to publish in their home country.
(b) Their inability to speak English.
(c) Their inabiltiy to move to the United States.
(d) Their inability to move to another European coutnry.
2. How does Lett punish the boys?
(a) By having them sit facing a corner.
(b) By giving them chores to do.
(c) By telling their parents.
(d) By forcing them to spar with him in the boxing ring.
3. What happens, when winter comes, to their love affair?
(a) It comes out in the open.
(b) It ends.
(c) It has to endure a life of closer scrutiny.
(d) It fades to nothing.
4. What is a crippling experience for him?
(a) Speaking English.
(b) Contracting polio.
(c) Writing poetry in Russian.
(d) Falling off a horse.
5. What is publication like outside of Russia?
(a) Often insufficiently lucrative to provide a comfortable existence.
(b) A well-paying, satisfying career.
(c) Not as good as in Russia.
(d) Better than in the United States.
6. Why does Nabokov feel exiled in Crimea, a Russian territory?
(a) He misses his butterflies.
(b) He misses Tamara.
(c) The environment is so foreign.
(d) He does not have his family with him.
7. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A game.
(b) A weapon.
(c) A tool to make household chores easier.
(d) A way to distract siblings.
8. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
9. What fills Nabokov with surprise, while roller-skating?
(a) An older American girl comments on his excellent skating.
(b) Colette is also roller-skating.
(c) His mother skates very well.
(d) He is not very good.
10. What is the purpose of the Constituent Assembly?
(a) Tries to limit the extent of Soviet control.
(b) To support the Soviets.
(c) To give power to the Soviets.
(d) To encourage Soviet control.
11. What types of tutors does Nabokov's father seem to intentionally choose?
(a) Tutors with widely varying backgrounds and subjects of expertise.
(b) Those with experience working with aristocrat's children.
(c) Those who attend college at Cambridge.
(d) Tutors with a background in Russian literature.
12. What does Nabokov remember about his father's remarkable writing ability?
(a) He could write sentence after sentence without correction.
(b) He is very poetic.
(c) He could spell any word.
(d) He has beautiful handwriting.
13. Why do they hire the village schoolmaster, though he is not technically one of the family's regular tutors?
(a) To give them writing lessons.
(b) To give them a crash course in the Russian language.
(c) To give them French lessons.
(d) To give them mathematics lessons.
14. How does Nabokov's father die?
(a) He is assassinated in Berlin.
(b) He has a stroke in Berlin.
(c) He has a heart attack in Paris.
(d) He commits suicide in Paris.
15. What does Nabokov say they had lost that winter in St. Petersburg?
(a) Their "secret hideaway."
(b) Their "true identities."
(c) Their "lovers' nest."
(d) Their "sylvan security."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nabokov's favorite Captain Mayne Reid novel?
2. What does Nabokov confess about Yuri and himself?
3. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
4. What is Nabokov called in exile?
5. Why is Nabokov's tutor rebuked by his mother?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)