|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A weapon.
(b) A game.
(c) A way to distract siblings.
(d) A tool to make household chores easier.
2. What happens to Yuri in northern Crimea?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is captured.
(c) He is married.
(d) He converts to Catholicism.
3. What tutor looks like the French actor Max Linder?
(a) A Greek spelling teacher.
(b) A graduate student.
(c) A Russian literature tutor.
(d) A polish medical student.
4. To where do the boys win scholarships?
(a) College of William and Mary.
(b) University of Paris.
(c) Tufts University.
5. In 1914, a sixteen-year-old Yuri visits the Nabokovs,and what does he produce?
(a) A girlfriend.
(b) A cigarette case.
(c) A new invention.
(d) A book for Nabokov.
6. What fills Nabokov with surprise, while roller-skating?
(a) His mother skates very well.
(b) An older American girl comments on his excellent skating.
(c) Colette is also roller-skating.
(d) He is not very good.
7. What do both Vladimir's writings on technical matters as well as philosophical have in common?
(a) They are filled with mistakes.
(b) They have the same steadiness of thought.
(c) They are both boring.
(d) They are inspiring.
8. What does Vladimir study at St. Petersburg University?
9. What is the last Nabokov hears of Lenski?
(a) He is scrapping by, selling painted seashells on the Riviera in France.
(b) He is a professor at the University of Paris.
(c) He owns a restaurant in Dublin.
(d) He is working as an actor in London.
10. What is happening in the larger cities of Western Europe?
(a) They are not allowing Russians to immigrate to their countries.
(b) They are losing Russian immigrants.
(c) Russian writers and artists have a considerable presence.
(d) They are unhappy about the number of Russians.
11. When does Nabokov begin to write poetry?
(a) Around 1924.
(b) Around 1934.
(c) Around 1914.
(d) Around 1904.
12. Vladimir is raised by his own share of governesses and tutors but where does he go at the age of 13?
(a) Berkshire Boys Academy.
(b) The Gymnasium.
(c) St. Petersburg Academy.
(d) Poly Preparatory.
13. Why is Nabokov's tutor rebuked by his mother?
(a) He is repeatedly late.
(b) He is not doing an adequate job.
(c) He spies on the young couple.
(d) He is being rude to her children.
14. How does Nabokov's father die?
(a) He has a heart attack in Paris.
(b) He is assassinated in Berlin.
(c) He commits suicide in Paris.
(d) He has a stroke in Berlin.
15. What does he describe with obvious revelry?
(a) The feeling of power and excertion in playing a game of lawn tennis with family and friends.
(b) The feeling of isolation and contentment when writing a work of poetry.
(c) The feeling of freedom in hunting and capturing a new species of butterfly.
(d) The feeling of selfless isolation that such prolonged expenditures of concentration engenders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he do with a poem before he writes it down?
2. Why is Lenski working as a tutor?
3. His other brother, Sergey, is only a year younger than Nabokov. The two are raised together, but what makes them different?
4. How does Lett punish the boys?
5. In 1904, who does Nabokov remember meeting for the first time?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)