|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1904, who does Nabokov remember meeting for the first time?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His youngest brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His uncle.
2. What is happening in the larger cities of Western Europe?
(a) They are unhappy about the number of Russians.
(b) They are losing Russian immigrants.
(c) Russian writers and artists have a considerable presence.
(d) They are not allowing Russians to immigrate to their countries.
3. What do Yuri and Nabokov invent?
(a) A game.
(b) A weapon.
(c) A tool to make household chores easier.
(d) A way to distract siblings.
4. What is the subject of this chapter?
(a) Nabokov's tutor, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
(b) Nabokov's brother, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
(c) Nabokov's father, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
(d) Nabokov's uncle, Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov.
5. To where do the boys win scholarships?
(a) College of William and Mary.
(c) Tufts University.
(d) University of Paris.
6. Why does she hand him a hand mirror?
(a) He had smashed a mosquito on his cheek.
(b) His face is covered in dirt.
(c) He has grown so much.
(d) He has a cut on his forehead.
7. Though he is an excellent teacher to the Nabokov boys, what does Lenski find difficult?
(a) Making his lessons interesting.
(b) Teaching the boys to be well-behaved.
(c) His own studies.
(d) Teaching the boys mathematics.
8. How does Sergei save the brothers from the Bolsheviks on the train?
(a) He convinces the Bolsheviks that he has leprosy.
(b) He convinces them he has typhus and that is why they are traveling alone in a locked compartment.
(c) He holds them out a window.
(d) He shoots at the Bolsheviks.
9. What intrigues the young Nabokov about the novel?
(a) Its deliberate action and concern for honor.
(b) Its love of America and the wilderness.
(c) Its mystery and murder.
(d) The description of nature and the American frontier.
10. What fills Nabokov with surprise, while roller-skating?
(a) His mother skates very well.
(b) Colette is also roller-skating.
(c) He is not very good.
(d) An older American girl comments on his excellent skating.
11. When does his first poem take shape in his mind?
(a) During a theatrical performance.
(b) While sitting with his mother.
(c) While searching for butterflies.
(d) During a sudden thunderstorm.
12. On what does the rest of the family live?
(a) On government assistance.
(b) On the sale of a handful of family jewels.
(c) On an estate in Germany.
(d) His father's retirement check.
13. What types of tutors does Nabokov's father seem to intentionally choose?
(a) Those with experience working with aristocrat's children.
(b) Tutors with a background in Russian literature.
(c) Tutors with widely varying backgrounds and subjects of expertise.
(d) Those who attend college at Cambridge.
14. What country does the family travel through on their way to London?
15. Who dies young of a heart ailment?
(a) A Ukrainian mathematician.
(b) A Polish tutor.
(c) A Greek spelling tutor.
(d) The schoolmaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nabokov mean when he says poetry is positional?
2. Why does Nabokov ride his bike each afternoon past the house of the family's head coachmen?
3. What is the response to Nabokov's published book of poems?
4. What does Vladimir do before hurrying young Nabokov along to school?
5. What is the last Nabokov hears of Lenski?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)