|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though many doubt this ailment, What happens to Ivanovich?
(a) He dies from lung cancer.
(b) He dies of a heart ailment.
(c) He ends up with scoliosis.
(d) He slips a disc.
2. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
(a) Nabokov's mother gives her gifts.
(b) Nabokov's mother threatens her.
(c) Nabokov's mother gives her a raise.
(d) Nabokov's mother talks her into staying
3. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
(a) Chapter Four.
(b) Chapter Two.
(c) Chapter Seven.
(d) Chapter Five.
4. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
(a) Being fed by his nanny.
(b) Playing in the yard on the estate.
(c) Going on a picnic with his mother and father.
(d) Holding hands with his mother and father, as the three of them walk along a garden path in 1903,
5. Who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad?
(a) Nabokov's father, Dmitri.
(b) Vyra, Nabokov's wife.
(c) Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich.
(d) Nabokov's cousin, Yuri.
6. How does Mr. Cummings influence Nabokov's scientific drawings of butterflies?
(a) He is Nabokov's botanist.
(b) He is Nabokov's science instructor.
(c) He is Nabokov's drawing instructor.
(d) He is Nabokov's butterfly instructor.
7. When does Nabokov eventually discover a new species?
(a) As a small boy in Russia.
(b) Not until he is an old man, living in exile in the United States.
(c) In Germany visiting his family.
(d) At Cambridge.
8. Where do the children bathe?
(a) Russian baths.
(b) The creek on the estate.
(c) English portable tubs.
(d) French bathing tubs.
9. Of what descent is Nabokov's mother?
(a) Aristocratic Norwegian descent.
(b) Aristocratic English descent.
(c) Aristocratic German descent.
(d) Aristocratic Swedish descent.
10. From where does Mademoiselle come?
11. Who are some of the ancestors on Nabokov's paternal, Russian side?
(a) A government leader, an opera singer, and Dmitri Nabokov, the surgeon.
(b) A lawyer, scientist, and Dmitri Nabokov, a well-known actor.
(c) An explorer, the sister of a prominent Decembrist, and Dmitri Nabokov, the author's grandfather, who served as Minister of Justice for eight years.
(d) A prominent Caholic cardinal, a physician, and Dmitri Nabokov, an inventor.
12. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
(d) Heart disease.
13. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
(a) Nabokov's mother.
(b) Nabokov's father.
(c) Nabokov's wife.
(d) Nabokov's governess.
14. How do the aristocrats confront the ocean waves?
(a) With the help of professional bathers.
(b) By swimming in groups.
(c) By diving in.
(d) On a boat.
15. With what is the aristocratic Nabokov house stocked?
(a) French literature.
(b) German beer.
(c) English and French amenities.
(d) Russian antiques.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is their mother's reaction when she sees that her children have opened the presents from their stockings early and poorly rewrapped them?
2. What mystifies the two boys about Mademoiselle?
3. What does Nabokov reveal about his mind?
4. To what simple rule does Nabokov's mother ascribe?
5. What are two events that Nabokov remembers watching outside his mother's window?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)