|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does Mademoiselle come?
2. Why does Nabokov's father force the family to leave a sidewalk cafe?
(a) The wait staff is slow and untrained.
(b) The father notices two Japanese officers dining at a nearby table.
(c) His father sees an old acquaintance he would rather avoid.
(d) The food is not edible.
3. What is seen as a dreaded event?
(c) Speaking in public.
4. At the time the family moves, where are Nabokov and his brother?
(a) In Oxford.
(b) In Cambridge.
(c) In the University of Paris.
(d) In New York University.
5. How long does the family stay in Paris?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) One night.
6. Why does Nabokov's mother often wander the estate's forest?
(a) To search for mushrooms.
(b) She loves the estate property.
(c) She becomes lost easily.
(d) It helps clear her mind.
7. With what is the aristocratic Nabokov house stocked?
(a) German beer.
(b) Russian antiques.
(c) French literature.
(d) English and French amenities.
8. Who accompanies Vladimir and his companion on the beach?
(a) A cocker spaniel.
(b) The girl's little brother.
(c) A fox terrier.
(d) His cousiin, Yuri.
9. To what does Nabokov compare existence?
(a) The seconds on a clock.
(b) The sands in an hourglass.
(c) A cradle rocking on the edge of an abyss.
(d) A rollercoaster ride.
10. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
(a) The revolution has ended.
(b) Their visas have expired.
(c) The father is in trouble with the police.
(d) Their religion is being persecuted.
11. What is young Vladimir's main concern?
(a) Whether or not he will be able to go horseback riding.
(b) Whether or not he can play in the forest.
(c) Whether or not he will be able to go hunting for new and rare butterflies.
(d) Whether or not he can play with his friends down the road.
12. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
(a) Nabokov's mother talks her into staying
(b) Nabokov's mother threatens her.
(c) Nabokov's mother gives her a raise.
(d) Nabokov's mother gives her gifts.
13. How does Mr. Cummings influence Nabokov's scientific drawings of butterflies?
(a) He is Nabokov's butterfly instructor.
(b) He is Nabokov's drawing instructor.
(c) He is Nabokov's botanist.
(d) He is Nabokov's science instructor.
14. They board the Sud-Express and disembark in what town?
15. Who are some of the ancestors on Nabokov's paternal, Russian side?
(a) A government leader, an opera singer, and Dmitri Nabokov, the surgeon.
(b) An explorer, the sister of a prominent Decembrist, and Dmitri Nabokov, the author's grandfather, who served as Minister of Justice for eight years.
(c) A lawyer, scientist, and Dmitri Nabokov, a well-known actor.
(d) A prominent Caholic cardinal, a physician, and Dmitri Nabokov, an inventor.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom is young Vladimir mistaken?
2. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
3. How does the family spend their time in this town?
4. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
5. Though many doubt this ailment, What happens to Ivanovich?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)