|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two events that Nabokov remembers watching outside his mother's window?
(a) The training of horses and the revolutionary action in the street.
(b) The training of horses and the village children on their way to school.
(c) Mr. Burness' arrival and the revolutionary action in the street.
(d) Mr. Burness' arrival nad the village children on their way to school.
2. How does Mademoiselle provide Vladimir with an extra hour or two out of the darkness?
(a) He sits with him while he falls asleep.
(b) The light from her lamp gives a little light to his room.
(c) She allows him to fall asleep in her room.
(d) She leaves a candle lit by his bed.
3. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
(a) Heart disease.
4. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
5. What is their mother's reaction when she sees that her children have opened the presents from their stockings early and poorly rewrapped them?
(a) She spots their deception and bursts into tears.
(b) She pretends to not see their poor rewrapping.
(c) She scolds them for trying to deceive her.
(d) She laughs at their attempt at deception.
6. It is unusual for aristocrats in Russian to be hanged, and as a child, what does Nabokov call the trail through the woods on the estate where a previous owner had been hanged?
(a) The "Hanging Rope."
(b) The "walk of the Hanged One."
(c) The "Path of the Hanged."
(d) The "Road to a Hanging."
7. What is a battle against the yawning darkness?
8. How does the Nabokov family frequently travel from St. Petersburg to Paris?
(a) By horse and carriage.
(b) In a sleigh.
(c) In the elegant brown Nord-Express train
(d) By stagecoach.
9. How does Mr. Cummings influence Nabokov's scientific drawings of butterflies?
(a) He is Nabokov's butterfly instructor.
(b) He is Nabokov's science instructor.
(c) He is Nabokov's drawing instructor.
(d) He is Nabokov's botanist.
10. Where does Nabokov's family live until his father's death in 1922?
(a) In Berlin.
(b) In Hamburg.
(c) In Brussels.
(d) In Paris.
11. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
(a) Lawn tennis.
(d) Lawn bowling.
12. To what does Nabokov compare existence?
(a) A rollercoaster ride.
(b) The sands in an hourglass.
(c) A cradle rocking on the edge of an abyss.
(d) The seconds on a clock.
13. What does this hobby do to him?
(a) It encourages him to study.
(b) It encourages him to spend time outside.
(c) It helps him make friends.
(d) It isolates him throughout life.
14. What does Nabokov reveal about his mind?
(a) He has a great short-term memory.
(b) He always associates sounds with colors.
(c) He hallucinates.
(d) He has depression.
15. What does Nabokov learn to read and write before Russian or French?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is referred to simply as "Mademoiselle?"
2. From where does Mademoiselle come?
3. How do the aristocrats confront the ocean waves?
4. Who accompanies Vladimir and his companion on the beach?
5. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)