|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the children bathe?
(a) English portable tubs.
(b) French bathing tubs.
(c) Russian baths.
(d) The creek on the estate.
2. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
(a) Going on a picnic with his mother and father.
(b) Being fed by his nanny.
(c) Playing in the yard on the estate.
(d) Holding hands with his mother and father, as the three of them walk along a garden path in 1903,
3. Why, when Nabokov is a child, is he terrified of the dark?
(a) He is afraid his home will catch on fire.
(b) He seems to lose himself in the pitch black.
(c) He thinks burglars will come into his room.
(d) He is afraid of monsters under his bed.
4. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
(a) In London.
(b) In Russia.
(c) In Greece.
(d) In France.
5. What game does the whole family often play on the estate?
(a) Lawn tennis.
(c) Lawn bowling.
6. With what is the aristocratic Nabokov house stocked?
(a) German beer.
(b) Russian antiques.
(c) French literature.
(d) English and French amenities.
7. Who is referred to simply as "Mademoiselle?"
(a) The tutor.
(b) His sister.
(c) The governess.
(d) His aunt.
8. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
9. How does Mr. Cummings influence Nabokov's scientific drawings of butterflies?
(a) He is Nabokov's science instructor.
(b) He is Nabokov's drawing instructor.
(c) He is Nabokov's butterfly instructor.
(d) He is Nabokov's botanist.
10. Soon, the string of nurses transforms into what?
(a) A string of governesses.
(b) A string of surgeons.
(c) A string of doctors.
(d) A string of teachers.
11. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
(a) Nabokov's mother gives her a raise.
(b) Nabokov's mother talks her into staying
(c) Nabokov's mother gives her gifts.
(d) Nabokov's mother threatens her.
12. They board the Sud-Express and disembark in what town?
13. It is unusual for aristocrats in Russian to be hanged, and as a child, what does Nabokov call the trail through the woods on the estate where a previous owner had been hanged?
(a) The "Road to a Hanging."
(b) The "Hanging Rope."
(c) The "Path of the Hanged."
(d) The "walk of the Hanged One."
14. What is memorable about this first memory?
(a) He wonders where his parents are.
(b) He understands that he is a separate being from his father and mother.
(c) He understands that everyone must eat.
(d) He realizes he has the ability to control his own body.
15. For whom is young Vladimir mistaken?
(a) An English boy.
(b) An American boy.
(c) A Swedish boy.
(d) A German boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Nabokov's mother quite sensitive?
2. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
3. What does Nabokov investigate about his family?
4. What mystifies the two boys about Mademoiselle?
5. After his retirement, from what does Dimitri Nabokov begin to suffer?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)