|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the children bathe?
(a) Russian baths.
(b) The creek on the estate.
(c) French bathing tubs.
(d) English portable tubs.
2. What does the rain cause to grow on the estate?
3. How does Nabokov open his autobiography?
(a) With a short review of Russian history.
(b) With a short story about the birth of his son.
(c) With a short meditation on the periods of inexistence before birth and after death.
(d) With an examination of his early childhood.
4. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
(a) Chapter Seven.
(b) Chapter Two.
(c) Chapter Four.
(d) Chapter Five.
5. To whom is Chapter Five devoted?
(a) Nabokov's mother.
(b) Nabokov's governess.
(c) Nabokov's father.
(d) Nabokov's wife.
6. What has Nabokov always had difficulty doing?
(d) Speaking in public.
7. When do they arrive in Paris?
(a) Early afternoon.
(b) Early morning.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) Late afternoon.
8. In any of the memories he has from before his obsession began, Nabokov cannot recall the presence of butterflies. What can he recall afterward?
(a) He cannot remember the outdoors without them.
(b) He is constantly finding new species.
(c) Not very many butterflies, because most Russian varieties are extinct.
(d) He cannot find nearly as many butterflies as he thought he would.
9. Who accompanies Vladimir and his companion on the beach?
(a) A cocker spaniel.
(b) The girl's little brother.
(c) His cousiin, Yuri.
(d) A fox terrier.
10. What does Young Vladimir discover in the family's attic?
(a) A small collection of exotic butterflies.
(b) A book of his family's ancestry.
(c) Souvenirs from the family trips to France.
(d) A small treasure trove of scientific books
11. Who occupies one of the estates near St. Petersburg when not abroad?
(a) Nabokov's father, Dmitri.
(b) Nabokov's uncle, Vasiliy Ivanovich.
(c) Nabokov's cousin, Yuri.
(d) Vyra, Nabokov's wife.
12. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
(a) In Russia.
(b) In France.
(c) In London.
(d) In Greece.
13. What does Nabokov reveal about his mind?
(a) He always associates sounds with colors.
(b) He hallucinates.
(c) He has depression.
(d) He has a great short-term memory.
14. For whom is young Vladimir mistaken?
(a) A German boy.
(b) An American boy.
(c) A Swedish boy.
(d) An English boy.
15. The rest of the chapters are published separately, mainly by whom?
(a) The St. Petersburg Publishing House.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nabokov's mother often wander the estate's forest?
2. What is happening to the science of butterflies at this time?
3. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
4. What is the first memory Nabokov drags from the darkness?
5. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)