|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what is the aristocratic Nabokov house stocked?
(a) Russian antiques.
(b) French literature.
(c) German beer.
(d) English and French amenities.
2. What is the common name for Boletusoften?
(a) Blue grass.
(b) Tropical hibiscus.
(c) Red geraniums.
(d) Tube mushrooms.
3. What does Nabokov learn to read and write before Russian or French?
4. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
(a) Their religion is being persecuted.
(b) The father is in trouble with the police.
(c) Their visas have expired.
(d) The revolution has ended.
5. What has Nabokov always had difficulty doing?
(d) Speaking in public.
6. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
(a) Chapter Seven.
(b) Chapter Four.
(c) Chapter Five.
(d) Chapter Two.
7. It is unusual for aristocrats in Russian to be hanged, and as a child, what does Nabokov call the trail through the woods on the estate where a previous owner had been hanged?
(a) The "Path of the Hanged."
(b) The "walk of the Hanged One."
(c) The "Hanging Rope."
(d) The "Road to a Hanging."
8. Why does Nabokov's mother often wander the estate's forest?
(a) She loves the estate property.
(b) She becomes lost easily.
(c) To search for mushrooms.
(d) It helps clear her mind.
9. During one such trip in the summer of 1909, who does young Nabokov meet?
(a) A young French girl, named Colette.
(b) A young Spanish girl, named Clara.
(c) A young British girl, named Beth.
(d) A young German girl, named Brigitte.
10. From where does Mademoiselle come?
11. What would change throughout Nabokov's childhood, depending on the prevailing advice of the family's current medical consultant?
(a) The temperature in his home.
(b) The temperature of the bath water.
(c) The medicines his mother uses.
(d) How much he exercises.
12. Who accompanies Vladimir and his companion on the beach?
(a) The girl's little brother.
(b) His cousiin, Yuri.
(c) A cocker spaniel.
(d) A fox terrier.
13. How many years does Mademoiselle spend with the family?
14. What is a battle against the yawning darkness?
15. How do the aristocrats confront the ocean waves?
(a) By swimming in groups.
(b) By diving in.
(c) On a boat.
(d) With the help of professional bathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Though many doubt this ailment, What happens to Ivanovich?
2. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
3. What is Nabokov's favorite medium?
4. Soon, the string of nurses transforms into what?
5. What does Nabokov call the process of using both the English and Russian translations of "Speak, Memory" to shape the current work?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)