Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Man's response when the Woman offers to play the flute for him in Scene 7?
2. What does the Man tell the Woman to do about her music in Scene 5?
3. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
4. Why does the Woman say the Man would not like her music?
5. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
The title of the play is also something that the Man and the Woman discuss. The characters long to hear the sound of a voice in their lives. Respond to the following using examples to support your answer:
1) Why do the Man and the Woman long to hear the sound of a voice? Why have they not heard one for a while when they first meet?
2) How has the Woman created the sound of a voice in her life before the Man arrives? Does the Man successfully replace her version? Why or why not?
3) How does the Man attempt to create the sound of a voice once the Woman is gone? Is he successful?
David Henry Hwang, the author of "The Sound of a Voice," is an Asian American whose heritage directly influences his work. Using examples from the play, answer the following with an essay:
1) How does the author's heritage influence the setting of the play?
2) How does the author's heritage influence the way the play is presented and the overall aesthetic?
3) What does the author reveal about his belief in the importance of cultural tradition through his writing?
The fear that the Man and the Woman have has great impact on the way the two characters respond to each other. Answer the following with supporting examples from the play:
1) Why does the Man fear the Woman? What qualities about the Woman intensify his fear?
2) Does the Woman fear the Man as much as the Man fears the Woman? Why?
3) What do both the Woman and the Man fear? Does this concern bring them closer together, farther apart, or both? How?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)