Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Man's response when the Woman offers to play the flute for him in Scene 7?
2. What does the Man tell the Woman to do about her music in Scene 5?
3. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
4. Why does the Woman say the Man would not like her music?
5. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
Essay Topic 1
The death of the Woman greatly affects the character of the Man and serves as a climactic event in the play. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) In what ways has death been portrayed in "The Sound of a Voice"? What significance do these instances of death have?
2) How is the death of the Woman symbolized? In what ways does her death reflect her life?
3) Is the death of the Woman foreshadowed in the play? Does her death seem inevitable?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is also something that the Man and the Woman discuss. The characters long to hear the sound of a voice in their lives. Respond to the following using examples to support your answer:
1) Why do the Man and the Woman long to hear the sound of a voice? Why have they not heard one for a while when they first meet?
2) How has the Woman created the sound of a voice in her life before the Man arrives? Does the Man successfully replace her version? Why or why not?
3) How does the Man attempt to create the sound of a voice once the Woman is gone? Is he successful?
Essay Topic 3
The play can be interpreted to be a story of the relationship in general between men and a women. Write a response to the following, and support your answer with examples from the play:
1) What traits from the play support the theory that this story is an allegory about the relationship between men and women?
2) How is the Woman represented to reflect what men feel about women? How is the Man represented to reflect what women feel about men?
3) What message is the author is trying to portray about the difficulties in establishing a relationship? What is the author saying about how the differences between men and women should be treated to have a successful relationship?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)