|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the Man give for meditating the way he does?
2. What does the Woman first say of her knowledge with a sword?
3. What does the Man pick up at the end of the final scene?
4. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
5. What does the Woman say she only intended to do for the Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of the Woman greatly affects the character of the Man and serves as a climactic event in the play. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) In what ways has death been portrayed in "The Sound of a Voice"? What significance do these instances of death have?
2) How is the death of the Woman symbolized? In what ways does her death reflect her life?
3) Is the death of the Woman foreshadowed in the play? Does her death seem inevitable?
Essay Topic 2
The literary technique of foreshadowing is used heavily throughout "The Sound of a Voice." Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing does the author use that are fulfilled by the end of the play?
2) How does the use of foreshadowing create a feeling of impending tragedy in the play?
3) What is the Woman's warning to the Man in the final scene about his fate? What does this imply for the Man's future after the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The plot of "The Sound of a Voice" illustrates the lives of the Man and the Woman over a short span of time. Answer the following questions with supporting examples:
1) How does the organization of the play influence the plot of the story?
2) How does the short period together affect the way the characters are portrayed to interact with each other?
3) Why did the author choose to focus on such a short span of time? How does this affect the presentation of the play as a theatrical performance?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)