|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
2. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
3. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
4. What is the Man doing at the end of the play?
5. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of the Woman greatly affects the character of the Man and serves as a climactic event in the play. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) In what ways has death been portrayed in "The Sound of a Voice"? What significance do these instances of death have?
2) How is the death of the Woman symbolized? In what ways does her death reflect her life?
3) Is the death of the Woman foreshadowed in the play? Does her death seem inevitable?
Essay Topic 2
The literary technique of foreshadowing is used heavily throughout "The Sound of a Voice." Use examples to support your response to the following:
1) What examples of foreshadowing does the author use that are fulfilled by the end of the play?
2) How does the use of foreshadowing create a feeling of impending tragedy in the play?
3) What is the Woman's warning to the Man in the final scene about his fate? What does this imply for the Man's future after the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The Man's sword in the play is a precious possession that also represents a capacity for destruction. Much conflict in the play revolves around the Man's sword and the struggle for its power. Write an essay answering the following, and supplement your work with examples:
1) What does the sword represent to the Man? What does it represent to the Woman?
2) Who is shown to have more control over the sword? What does this say about that character?
3) The Man came to kill the Woman with his sword, but the Woman takes her own life by hanging herself. What is the author trying to say by having the the Woman take her own life and the Man laying his sword down at the end of the play?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)