|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man confess to the Woman in Scene 9?
2. What does the Man do at the end of the final scene?
3. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
4. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
5. What does the Woman say she tried to do for both the Man and herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play can be interpreted to be a story of the relationship in general between men and a women. Write a response to the following, and support your answer with examples from the play:
1) What traits from the play support the theory that this story is an allegory about the relationship between men and women?
2) How is the Woman represented to reflect what men feel about women? How is the Man represented to reflect what women feel about men?
3) What message is the author is trying to portray about the difficulties in establishing a relationship? What is the author saying about how the differences between men and women should be treated to have a successful relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The death of the Woman greatly affects the character of the Man and serves as a climactic event in the play. Respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) In what ways has death been portrayed in "The Sound of a Voice"? What significance do these instances of death have?
2) How is the death of the Woman symbolized? In what ways does her death reflect her life?
3) Is the death of the Woman foreshadowed in the play? Does her death seem inevitable?
Essay Topic 3
The use of symbolism throughout "The Sound of a Voice" has significant impact on the understanding of the plot. Using supporting examples, answer the following questions:
1) What objects provide significant symbolism throughout the play? What do these things represent?
2) What are some less significant sources of symbolism that enrich the play and the audience's understanding of the events?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)