|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
2. How does the Man react when the Woman stops his meditation?
3. At the beginning of Scene 8, the Woman tries to make plans with the Man to do what?
4. Why is the Woman shocked to see the Man when she comes back in Scene 8?
5. What does the Man confess to the Woman in Scene 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play can be interpreted to be a story of the relationship in general between men and a women. Write a response to the following, and support your answer with examples from the play:
1) What traits from the play support the theory that this story is an allegory about the relationship between men and women?
2) How is the Woman represented to reflect what men feel about women? How is the Man represented to reflect what women feel about men?
3) What message is the author is trying to portray about the difficulties in establishing a relationship? What is the author saying about how the differences between men and women should be treated to have a successful relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The play can be defined as a tragedy. The death of the Woman and the loneliness and suffering of the characters dramatically shape the plot of the play. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the author create a feeling of misfortune and doom throughout the play?
2) How does the fate of the characters create a tragic ending?
3) In your opinion, was the fate of the Man and the Woman inevitable? Does this make the ending more or less tragic?
Essay Topic 3
The fear that the Man and the Woman have has great impact on the way the two characters respond to each other. Answer the following with supporting examples from the play:
1) Why does the Man fear the Woman? What qualities about the Woman intensify his fear?
2) Does the Woman fear the Man as much as the Man fears the Woman? Why?
3) What do both the Woman and the Man fear? Does this concern bring them closer together, farther apart, or both? How?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)