|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
2. What does the Woman accuse the Man of believing in the last scene?
3. What does the Man confess to the Woman in Scene 9?
4. How does the Man react to what he hears in Scene 6?
5. What is the appearance of the Woman at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "Sound of a Voice" is set in Japan, and much evidence of this location is spread throughout the play. Please answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the author inform the audience of the play's location without saying it outright?
2) How are aspects of Japanese culture reflected in the play's presentation and the character's lives?
3) Describe at least three influential occurrences in the plot that reflect important values of Japanese culture.
Essay Topic 2
The play can be defined as a tragedy. The death of the Woman and the loneliness and suffering of the characters dramatically shape the plot of the play. Answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the author create a feeling of misfortune and doom throughout the play?
2) How does the fate of the characters create a tragic ending?
3) In your opinion, was the fate of the Man and the Woman inevitable? Does this make the ending more or less tragic?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, the Woman is represented as an artful soul who has a solitary but poetic life. Please use examples, and write an essay to answer the following questions:
1) How do outsiders perceive the Woman? What makes them think that she is like the way she is?
2) How does the Man's perception of the Woman change over time? Does he truly change his opinion of her by the end of the play?
3) Does the author imply that men view women as beautiful yet mysterious beings? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,145 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)