|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man put down at the end of the last scene?
2. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
3. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
4. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
5. What is the appearance of the Woman at the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The "Sound of a Voice" is set in Japan, and much evidence of this location is spread throughout the play. Please answer the following with supporting examples:
1) How does the author inform the audience of the play's location without saying it outright?
2) How are aspects of Japanese culture reflected in the play's presentation and the character's lives?
3) Describe at least three influential occurrences in the plot that reflect important values of Japanese culture.
Essay Topic 2
Loneliness is a central theme in "The Sound of a Voice." The Man and the Woman both struggle to break free from being alone throughout the play. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) What lifestyles do the Man and the Woman have that lead them to be lonely?
2) What ways has the Woman learned to cope with being lonely? How do her ways affect the way the Man views her?
3) Do the characters learn to alleviate each other's loneliness successfully? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, the Woman is represented as an artful soul who has a solitary but poetic life. Please use examples, and write an essay to answer the following questions:
1) How do outsiders perceive the Woman? What makes them think that she is like the way she is?
2) How does the Man's perception of the Woman change over time? Does he truly change his opinion of her by the end of the play?
3) Does the author imply that men view women as beautiful yet mysterious beings? Why or why not?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)