|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is/are the only prop/props seen onstage at the start of the play?
(a) A vase of flowers.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) Table and chairs.
(d) A stained glass window.
2. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sword.
(b) The Man's sleeping mat.
(c) Her silk kimono.
(d) The vase of flowers.
3. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
4. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(b) Writing in a journal.
(c) Practicing with his sword.
(d) Chopping wood.
5. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) Her singing.
(b) His belly.
(c) The world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
2. What does the Woman say frightens her?
3. What country is the play's setting?
4. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
5. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Woman persuade the Man to do at the end of the second scene?
2. What does the the Man say in Scene 9that the Woman has transformed and how does this affect him?
3. How has the Man's attitude toward the Woman changed in Scene 8 compared to the previous scenes, and why?
4. What is the Man doing at the beginning of the final scene? What does confess, and what does the Woman interpret this to mean?
5. How does the Man react when he is awakened at night in Scene 6?
6. What does the Woman say she taught herself to do, and why?
7. Why does the Man send the Woman away in Scene 7?
8. What disturbs the Man as he is getting ready to go to sleep in the first scene, and how does he react?
9. How does the Man answer when the Woman asks him what his name is, and what name does the Woman give him?
10. What does the Woman tell the Man she creates?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)