|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) Her singing.
(b) The world.
(c) His belly.
2. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Peter Bacho.
(b) Amy Tan.
(c) David Henry Hwang.
(d) Jhumpa Lahiri.
3. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) Her own sword.
(b) The vase of flowers.
(c) Her pet bird.
(d) A silk kimono.
4. What does the Man say scares him?
5. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) She gets magical powers.
(b) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(c) The flowers start to grow.
(d) The flowers last for months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
2. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
3. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
4. What reason does the Woman give the Man to stop his chore in Scene 3?
5. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Man feel about the Woman's taking away his sword?
2. What has changed about the Man's reaction at night in Scene 4 from the previous scene of him at night?
3. What happens at the beginning of Scene 4?
4. What is the Man doing at the beginning of the second scene, and what is the Woman's reaction?
5. What is the final image of the Woman in the play, and how does this visually illustrate her name?
6. What does the Woman accuse the Man of believing, and what does she tell the Man to do?
7. What does the Man say about the Woman's flowers in the second scene?
8. What is the main theme in Scene 1?
9. What chore does the Man help the Woman with that he becomes excited about, and how does he react when he completes his task?
10. What does the Woman say about her name?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)