|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) The neighbors.
(b) His sword-fighting abilities.
(c) The size of his belly.
(d) The Woman's cooking.
2. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) Visitors bring them.
(b) She buys them at the market.
(c) They are left on her doorstep.
(d) She walks and picks them.
3. What does the Man say scares him?
4. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
(a) He yells for it to stop.
(b) He sings along.
(c) He pulls out his sword.
(d) He ignores it.
5. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) How old he is.
(b) What his name is.
(c) If he is married.
(d) What his purpose here is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
2. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
3. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
4. What country is the play's setting?
5. What reason does the Woman give the Man to stop his chore in Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the Man's attitude toward the Woman changed in Scene 8 compared to the previous scenes, and why?
2. What is the Woman doing for the Man, and what does he say in the beginning of Scene 8?
3. What is the symbolism of the flute at the end of the play?
4. How does the Man answer when the Woman asks him what his name is, and what name does the Woman give him?
5. What does the Woman say about her dreams, and what does she say she dreamed of?
6. What does the Woman say she taught herself to do, and why?
7. What is the final image of the Woman in the play, and how does this visually illustrate her name?
8. What does the Man do after the Woman leaves in the eighth scene, and how does the Woman react after she returns?
9. What does the Woman say about her flowers in Scene 2?
10. What does the Woman threaten to do to the Man if he does not listen to her while he is meditating, and what is the Man's response to the threat?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)