|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What falls to the ground at the very end of the play?
(b) Flower petals.
(d) Dry leaves.
2. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 9, saying that he should not forget it?
(a) A flower.
(b) His sword.
(c) His cloak.
3. What does the Woman say she normally cannot bear?
(a) Her lack of money.
(b) Her own dreams.
(c) Having no children.
(d) The darkness.
4. What does the Man get out of his pocket at the end of the sixth scene?
(a) A knife.
(c) A flower.
(d) A map.
5. What does the Man confess to the Woman in Scene 9?
(a) He came to her home seeking glory.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) He is not really a warrior.
(d) He is married and has children.
6. What reason does the Man say he no longer can stay with the Woman?
(a) He has been defeated.
(b) He was never in love with her.
(c) He has to return home.
(d) He has a wife already.
7. How does the Man react when the Woman stops his meditation?
(a) He goes back to meditating.
(b) He smiles and laughs.
(c) He gets angry and hits her.
(d) He is startled and feels his chin.
8. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
(a) Write him a story.
(b) Make his favorite food.
(c) Become his wife.
(d) Play her music for him.
9. In the last scene, what does the Man ask the Woman to force him to do?
(a) Love her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Give her money.
(d) Stay with her.
10. What does the Woman say she has taught herself to do?
(a) Make memories live forever.
(b) Make the flute sound like a human voice.
(c) Keep herself safe.
(d) Learn how to cook.
11. What is the Man doing at the end of the play?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(b) Walking to meet the Woman.
(c) Playing the flute.
12. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) A monk devoted to his faith.
(b) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(c) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
(d) Married with many children.
13. At the beginning of Scene 8, the Woman tries to make plans with the Man to do what?
(a) Practice fighting with her.
(b) Go for a walk and pick flowers.
(c) Play music.
(d) Help her with chores.
14. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
(a) The Man and his sword.
(b) The Man making her laugh.
(c) Her mother.
(d) The song of the flute.
15. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
(a) The air is heavy with dread.
(b) The clounds will tremble with thunder.
(c) The water will never run dry.
(d) The ground beneath him is unstable.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fifth scene, why does the Man excitedly congratulate himself?
2. Why does the Woman say the Man would not like her music?
3. What does the Woman understand the Man's confession to mean?
4. What does the Man pick up at the end of the final scene?
5. What chore is the Woman doing at the beginning of the fifth scene?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)