|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
(a) The song of the flute.
(b) The Man and his sword.
(c) The Man making her laugh.
(d) Her mother.
2. What does the Man kill with his sword?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A grasshopper.
(c) A bird.
(d) A mosquito.
3. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) A beautiful kimono.
(c) A fancy dress.
(d) Her nightshirt.
4. What does the Woman say she only intended to do for the Man?
(a) Care for him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Heal his wounds.
(d) Make him tea.
5. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) An injured bird.
(c) A bundle of his belongings.
(d) A harp.
6. What does the Man pick up at the end of the final scene?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) His sword.
(c) His hat.
(d) The Woman's flute.
7. What reason does the Woman tell the man to stop telling a story about his friend?
(a) She is ill from hearing it.
(b) He is a terrible storyteller.
(c) He is lying.
(d) He cannot get rid of her that easily.
8. What does the Woman urge the Man to do at the end of the fifth scene?
(b) Speak again.
(c) Stay with her.
9. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
(a) Dancing with the vase.
(b) Doing chores.
(c) Spying on the Man.
10. In Scene 5, what does the Man tell the Woman he heard her doing at night?
(d) Playing the flute.
11. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
(a) Become his wife.
(b) Make his favorite food.
(c) Play her music for him.
(d) Write him a story.
12. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
(a) Never again.
(b) Every night.
(c) All day.
(d) Once a week.
13. What does the Woman say she has taught herself to do?
(a) Make memories live forever.
(b) Make the flute sound like a human voice.
(c) Keep herself safe.
(d) Learn how to cook.
14. What does the Woman first say of her knowledge with a sword?
(a) She is an expert.
(b) She knows how to defend herself.
(c) She has learned much from her brother.
(d) She knows nothing.
15. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) A monk devoted to his faith.
(b) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(c) Married with many children.
(d) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman say she tried to do for both the Man and herself?
2. What does the Woman ask the Man to do in the last scene, which he refuses?
3. What does the Man tell the Woman to do about her music in Scene 5?
4. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
5. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 9, saying that he should not forget it?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)