|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man tell the Woman to do about her music in Scene 5?
(a) Play more loudly and with confidence.
(b) Stop playing.
(c) Practice more so she gets better.
(d) Not change a thing.
2. What does the Woman say she normally cannot bear?
(a) Her lack of money.
(b) Her own dreams.
(c) Having no children.
(d) The darkness.
3. What does the Man put down at the end of the last scene?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) The flute.
(c) His own bundle.
(d) The Woman's kimono.
4. How does the Man react to what he hears in Scene 6?
(a) He draws his sword and is aware.
(b) He is calm and does not draw his sword.
(c) He goes back to sleep.
(d) He gets angry and yells.
5. What does the Woman urge the Man to do at the end of the fifth scene?
(a) Speak again.
(b) Stay with her.
6. What is the Man's response when the Woman offers to play the flute for him in Scene 7?
(a) He enjoys it.
(b) He does not want to be soothed like a baby.
(c) He hates the sound and gets angry.
(d) He wants to hear a different song.
7. What does the Woman do to stop the Man from meditating?
(a) Pretends to faint.
(b) Makes a lot of noise.
(c) Calls him in for dinner.
(d) Pulls the sword out from under him.
8. Why does the Woman say the Man would not like her music?
(a) He is from the city.
(b) She is uneducated.
(c) She plays badly.
(d) He is deaf.
9. How does the Man react when the Woman stops his meditation?
(a) He is startled and feels his chin.
(b) He goes back to meditating.
(c) He gets angry and hits her.
(d) He smiles and laughs.
10. What does the Woman tell the Man he will fall into unless he is careful?
(a) A pit of pain.
(b) A nest of thorns.
(c) A crevasse of loneliness.
(d) A lot of money.
11. How does the Man describe the Woman's appearance in the eighth scene?
(b) Nothing special.
12. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
(a) Never again.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Every night.
(d) All day.
13. What does the Man do when he is excited about his accomplishment in Scene 5?
(a) He sings a song.
(b) He dances.
(c) He writes a letter.
(d) He embraces the Woman.
14. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
(a) A bundle of his belongings.
(b) An injured bird.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) A harp.
15. How does the Man describe the Woman's music?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Scene 8, the Woman tries to make plans with the Man to do what?
2. What does the Man say his friend told him to do if he sees something better than this world while meditating?
3. What is the appearance of the Woman at the end of the play?
4. When the Man looks through the screen at night in Scene 6, what does he see?
5. At the beginning of Scene 8, what is the Woman doing?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)