|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) Married with many children.
(b) A monk devoted to his faith.
(c) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(d) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
2. What does the Woman say she only intended to do for the Man?
(a) Heal his wounds.
(b) Make him tea.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Care for him.
3. What does the Man get rid of for the Woman in Scene 5?
(a) A dead rat.
(b) The stain on her floor.
(c) A noisey bird.
(d) A dead tree.
4. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
(a) The water will never run dry.
(b) The air is heavy with dread.
(c) The ground beneath him is unstable.
(d) The clounds will tremble with thunder.
5. What does the Woman understand the Man's confession to mean?
(a) He was playing a joke on her.
(b) He came to kill her.
(c) He was lying and was a theif.
(d) He truly loved her.
6. What does the Man do at the end of the final scene?
(a) Sits and meditates on his life.
(b) Leaves and comes back a few minutes later.
(c) Leaves and never comes back.
(d) Stays with the Woman.
7. What does the Man say his friend told him to do if he sees something better than this world while meditating?
(a) Consult the gods for guidance.
(b) Drop his head onto the sword.
(c) Turn his mind away.
(d) Pray for that to come true.
8. What does the Man pick up at the end of the final scene?
(a) His hat.
(b) His sword.
(c) The Woman's flute.
(d) The vase of flowers.
9. How does the Man describe the Woman's music?
10. What does the Woman urge the Man to do at the end of the fifth scene?
(b) Stay with her.
(c) Speak again.
11. What does the Man do with the sword after the Woman leaves in Scene 8?
(a) He lays it across his lap.
(b) He sheaths it.
(c) He chops at a tree.
(d) He sits with his chin on the sharp end.
12. What is different about the flower in the sixth scene?
(a) It has withered and died.
(b) It has bloomed.
(c) It has changed color.
(d) It has grown in size.
13. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
(a) Become his wife.
(b) Make his favorite food.
(c) Write him a story.
(d) Play her music for him.
14. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) A beautiful kimono.
(c) Her nightshirt.
(d) A fancy dress.
15. What does the Woman do to stop the Man from meditating?
(a) Pretends to faint.
(b) Calls him in for dinner.
(c) Makes a lot of noise.
(d) Pulls the sword out from under him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman point out on the floor?
2. In the fifth scene, why does the Man excitedly congratulate himself?
3. What reason does the Woman give for teaching herself?
4. What reason does the Man give for meditating the way he does?
5. What does the Man hear in the sixth scene?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)