|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man discover happened to him after he stops meditating?
(a) He is cut and bleeding under his chin.
(b) He has lost all his money.
(c) He no longer can see.
(d) His hearing has gone.
2. What does the Man get out of his pocket at the end of the sixth scene?
(a) A flower.
(c) A knife.
(d) A map.
3. What chore is the Woman doing at the beginning of the fifth scene?
(a) Cooking breakfast.
(b) Chopping wood.
(c) Polishing a sword.
(d) Scrubbing the floors.
4. What does the Man pick up at the end of the final scene?
(a) His hat.
(b) His sword.
(c) The Woman's flute.
(d) The vase of flowers.
5. What reason does the Woman give for teaching herself?
(a) So she can chase away the silence.
(b) So she will be protected from the wild.
(c) So she will never go hungry.
(d) So she will never forget.
6. What does the Woman say she will enjoy being as she plays the flute in Scene 7?
(a) A memory.
(b) A musician.
(c) A skilled woman.
(d) Part of the Man's dreams.
7. What does the Woman ask the Man to do in the last scene, which he refuses?
(a) To give her his sword.
(b) To kill her husband.
(c) To stay with her.
(d) To give her money.
8. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 9, saying that he should not forget it?
(b) His sword.
(c) A flower.
(d) His cloak.
9. What does the Woman urge the Man to do at the end of the fifth scene?
(a) Speak again.
(d) Stay with her.
10. What does the Man get rid of for the Woman in Scene 5?
(a) A noisey bird.
(b) A dead rat.
(c) A dead tree.
(d) The stain on her floor.
11. What does the Man hear in the sixth scene?
(a) A storm.
(b) A bird.
(c) The wind.
(d) A flute.
12. What does the Man say his friend told him to do if he sees something better than this world while meditating?
(a) Pray for that to come true.
(b) Consult the gods for guidance.
(c) Turn his mind away.
(d) Drop his head onto the sword.
13. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) Her nightshirt.
(c) A beautiful kimono.
(d) A fancy dress.
14. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
(a) Doing chores.
(b) Spying on the Man.
(d) Dancing with the vase.
15. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) Married with many children.
(b) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(c) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
(d) A monk devoted to his faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Man describe the Woman's appearance in the eighth scene?
2. What does the Woman first say of her knowledge with a sword?
3. What does the Man put down at the end of the last scene?
4. What does the Woman accuse the Man of believing in the last scene?
5. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)