|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man say he is a fool about?
2. What does the Man kill with his sword?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A grasshopper.
(d) A bird.
3. What does the Man do with the sword after the Woman leaves in Scene 8?
(a) He sits with his chin on the sharp end.
(b) He lays it across his lap.
(c) He chops at a tree.
(d) He sheaths it.
4. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Never again.
(c) Every night.
(d) All day.
5. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(b) Married with many children.
(c) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
(d) A monk devoted to his faith.
6. What does the Woman say she normally cannot bear?
(a) Her lack of money.
(b) The darkness.
(c) Her own dreams.
(d) Having no children.
7. What reason does the Man give for meditating the way he does?
(a) He has always done it that way.
(b) His father taught him the technique.
(c) His friend told him it develops concentration.
(d) He learned it in a dream.
8. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) Her nightshirt.
(c) A fancy dress.
(d) A beautiful kimono.
9. What does the Man tell the Woman to do about her music in Scene 5?
(a) Play more loudly and with confidence.
(b) Not change a thing.
(c) Practice more so she gets better.
(d) Stop playing.
10. What does the Woman say she will enjoy being as she plays the flute in Scene 7?
(a) Part of the Man's dreams.
(b) A memory.
(c) A skilled woman.
(d) A musician.
11. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
(a) He cannot see.
(b) He has no faith.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He is weak.
12. How does the Man react to what he hears in Scene 6?
(a) He gets angry and yells.
(b) He is calm and does not draw his sword.
(c) He goes back to sleep.
(d) He draws his sword and is aware.
13. What does the Woman tell the Man he will fall into unless he is careful?
(a) A nest of thorns.
(b) A lot of money.
(c) A pit of pain.
(d) A crevasse of loneliness.
14. Why is the Woman shocked to see the Man when she comes back in Scene 8?
(a) He is not wearing clothes.
(b) He is gone.
(c) He is sleeping.
(d) He is sitting in a dangerous position.
15. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Man making her laugh.
(c) The song of the flute.
(d) The Man and his sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman urge the Man to do at the end of the fifth scene?
2. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
3. What does the Man say his friend told him to do if he sees something better than this world while meditating?
4. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 9, saying that he should not forget it?
5. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)