|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the Man say he no longer can stay with the Woman?
(a) He has been defeated.
(b) He has to return home.
(c) He was never in love with her.
(d) He has a wife already.
2. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 9, saying that he should not forget it?
(a) His cloak.
(b) His sword.
(d) A flower.
3. What reason does the Man give for meditating the way he does?
(a) He has always done it that way.
(b) He learned it in a dream.
(c) His friend told him it develops concentration.
(d) His father taught him the technique.
4. What does the Woman say she will enjoy being as she plays the flute in Scene 7?
(a) Part of the Man's dreams.
(b) A skilled woman.
(c) A memory.
(d) A musician.
5. What does the Man kill with his sword?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A grasshopper.
(c) A bird.
(d) A mouse.
6. What does the Man do when he is excited about his accomplishment in Scene 5?
(a) He embraces the Woman.
(b) He dances.
(c) He sings a song.
(d) He writes a letter.
7. At the beginning of Scene 8, what is the Woman doing?
(a) Modeling a new kimono.
(b) Folding laundry.
(c) Practicing with the sword.
(d) Pouring tea.
8. What chore is the Woman doing at the beginning of the fifth scene?
(a) Polishing a sword.
(b) Scrubbing the floors.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Cooking breakfast.
9. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
(a) Make his favorite food.
(b) Write him a story.
(c) Become his wife.
(d) Play her music for him.
10. What does the Woman do to stop the Man from meditating?
(a) Pulls the sword out from under him.
(b) Pretends to faint.
(c) Calls him in for dinner.
(d) Makes a lot of noise.
11. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
(a) She is weeping.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is meditating.
(d) She is asleep.
12. What does the Woman tell the Man he will fall into unless he is careful?
(a) A nest of thorns.
(b) A crevasse of loneliness.
(c) A pit of pain.
(d) A lot of money.
13. Why is the Woman shocked to see the Man when she comes back in Scene 8?
(a) He is sleeping.
(b) He is gone.
(c) He is sitting in a dangerous position.
(d) He is not wearing clothes.
14. What does the Woman first say of her knowledge with a sword?
(a) She has learned much from her brother.
(b) She knows how to defend herself.
(c) She knows nothing.
(d) She is an expert.
15. What does the Woman say she normally cannot bear?
(a) The darkness.
(b) Her own dreams.
(c) Having no children.
(d) Her lack of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
2. In Scene 5, what does the Man tell the Woman he heard her doing at night?
3. How does the Man react to what he hears in Scene 6?
4. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
5. What is the appearance of the Woman at the end of the play?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)