|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man say the Woman has transformed?
(a) Herself and the world in his eyes.
(b) The world.
(c) His heart.
(d) His motivations for living.
2. What does the Woman do to stop the Man from meditating?
(a) Makes a lot of noise.
(b) Pretends to faint.
(c) Calls him in for dinner.
(d) Pulls the sword out from under him.
3. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
(a) The Man and his sword.
(b) The song of the flute.
(c) The Man making her laugh.
(d) Her mother.
4. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
(a) A harp.
(b) An injured bird.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) A bundle of his belongings.
5. What reason does the Woman give for teaching herself?
(a) So she can chase away the silence.
(b) So she will be protected from the wild.
(c) So she will never go hungry.
(d) So she will never forget.
6. What does the Man hear in the sixth scene?
(a) The wind.
(b) A storm.
(c) A bird.
(d) A flute.
7. What does the Man kill with his sword?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A bird.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A grasshopper.
8. What reason does the Man give for meditating the way he does?
(a) He has always done it that way.
(b) He learned it in a dream.
(c) His father taught him the technique.
(d) His friend told him it develops concentration.
9. What does the Man get rid of for the Woman in Scene 5?
(a) A dead tree.
(b) A noisey bird.
(c) The stain on her floor.
(d) A dead rat.
10. How does the Man react to what he hears in Scene 6?
(a) He draws his sword and is aware.
(b) He gets angry and yells.
(c) He goes back to sleep.
(d) He is calm and does not draw his sword.
11. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
(a) He has no faith.
(b) He is weak.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He cannot see.
12. In the last scene, what does the Man ask the Woman to force him to do?
(a) Give her money.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Stay with her.
(d) Love her.
13. What does the Man tell the Woman to do about her music in Scene 5?
(a) Practice more so she gets better.
(b) Not change a thing.
(c) Play more loudly and with confidence.
(d) Stop playing.
14. What is the Man doing at the beginning of Scene 7?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(b) Writing calligraphy.
15. After the Man compliments the Woman on her flute playing, how often does the Woman say she will play her music?
(a) All day.
(b) Every night.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Never again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man discover happened to him after he stops meditating?
2. What does the Woman accuse the Man of believing in the last scene?
3. What does the Man do at the end of the final scene?
4. How does the Man react when the Woman stops his meditation?
5. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)