|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman first say of her knowledge with a sword?
(a) She has learned much from her brother.
(b) She is an expert.
(c) She knows how to defend herself.
(d) She knows nothing.
2. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
(a) She is weeping.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is asleep.
(d) She is meditating.
3. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
(a) He has no money.
(b) He is weak.
(c) He cannot see.
(d) He has no faith.
4. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) Married with many children.
(b) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(c) A monk devoted to his faith.
(d) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
5. What does the Woman say she tried to fill the silence with?
(a) The sound of a voice.
(b) Beautiful flowers.
(d) The music of her flute.
6. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 9, saying that he should not forget it?
(a) His cloak.
(c) A flower.
(d) His sword.
7. When the Man looks through the screen at night in Scene 6, what does he see?
(a) The full moon.
(b) A family of deer.
(d) The Woman.
8. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
(a) The ground beneath him is unstable.
(b) The water will never run dry.
(c) The air is heavy with dread.
(d) The clounds will tremble with thunder.
9. What does the Woman tell the Man he will fall into unless he is careful?
(a) A lot of money.
(b) A crevasse of loneliness.
(c) A nest of thorns.
(d) A pit of pain.
10. How does the Man describe the Woman's appearance in the eighth scene?
(b) Nothing special.
11. What does the Woman say she will enjoy being as she plays the flute in Scene 7?
(a) A memory.
(b) A musician.
(c) A skilled woman.
(d) Part of the Man's dreams.
12. What is the Man's response when the Woman offers to play the flute for him in Scene 7?
(a) He hates the sound and gets angry.
(b) He does not want to be soothed like a baby.
(c) He enjoys it.
(d) He wants to hear a different song.
13. What does the Man say he is a fool about?
14. What does the Woman accuse the Man of believing in the last scene?
(a) That she is wealthy.
(b) That she is a witch.
(c) That she is a liar.
(d) That she cannot be loved.
15. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A fancy dress.
(b) Her nightshirt.
(c) A suit of armor.
(d) A beautiful kimono.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore is the Woman doing at the beginning of the fifth scene?
2. What does the Man discover happened to him after he stops meditating?
3. What does the Man do when he is excited about his accomplishment in Scene 5?
4. What is the Man doing at the end of the play?
5. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)