|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
(a) A bundle of his belongings.
(b) An injured bird.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) A harp.
2. What does the Man hear in the sixth scene?
(a) The wind.
(b) A flute.
(c) A storm.
(d) A bird.
3. What is the appearance of the Woman at the end of the play?
(a) She is hanging from her own noose.
(b) She is stabbed with the sword.
(c) She is under the blankets.
(d) She is standing with her back turned.
4. What reason does the Man give for meditating the way he does?
(a) He has always done it that way.
(b) His father taught him the technique.
(c) He learned it in a dream.
(d) His friend told him it develops concentration.
5. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A suit of armor.
(b) A beautiful kimono.
(c) A fancy dress.
(d) Her nightshirt.
6. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
(a) She is meditating.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is weeping.
(d) She is dead.
7. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
(a) Dancing with the vase.
(b) Doing chores.
(c) Spying on the Man.
8. What does the Man do when he is excited about his accomplishment in Scene 5?
(a) He sings a song.
(b) He embraces the Woman.
(c) He dances.
(d) He writes a letter.
9. What does the Woman tell the Man he will fall into unless he is careful?
(a) A lot of money.
(b) A crevasse of loneliness.
(c) A pit of pain.
(d) A nest of thorns.
10. Why does the Woman say the Man would not like her music?
(a) He is from the city.
(b) She plays badly.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) She is uneducated.
11. What does the Man do with the sword after the Woman leaves in Scene 8?
(a) He sits with his chin on the sharp end.
(b) He chops at a tree.
(c) He sheaths it.
(d) He lays it across his lap.
12. What does the Man say his friend told him to do if he sees something better than this world while meditating?
(a) Consult the gods for guidance.
(b) Pray for that to come true.
(c) Turn his mind away.
(d) Drop his head onto the sword.
13. What does the Woman understand the Man's confession to mean?
(a) He truly loved her.
(b) He was playing a joke on her.
(c) He came to kill her.
(d) He was lying and was a theif.
14. What does the Man pick up at the end of the final scene?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) His sword.
(c) The Woman's flute.
(d) His hat.
15. Why is the Woman shocked to see the Man when she comes back in Scene 8?
(a) He is sleeping.
(b) He is gone.
(c) He is sitting in a dangerous position.
(d) He is not wearing clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman say she will enjoy being as she plays the flute in Scene 7?
2. What does the Woman point out on the floor?
3. What is the Man doing at the end of the play?
4. What does the Man confess to the Woman in Scene 9?
5. What does the Woman say she has taught herself to do?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)