|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
(a) The Man making her laugh.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The Man and his sword.
(d) The song of the flute.
2. What does the Woman warn the Man about in the final scene?
(a) The clounds will tremble with thunder.
(b) The ground beneath him is unstable.
(c) The water will never run dry.
(d) The air is heavy with dread.
3. What does the Woman say she will enjoy being as she plays the flute in Scene 7?
(a) A memory.
(b) A skilled woman.
(c) Part of the Man's dreams.
(d) A musician.
4. How does the Man describe the Woman's music?
5. What reason does the Woman tell the man to stop telling a story about his friend?
(a) She is ill from hearing it.
(b) He is lying.
(c) He is a terrible storyteller.
(d) He cannot get rid of her that easily.
6. What is the Man doing at the beginning of Scene 7?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(b) Writing calligraphy.
7. What does the Man say he is a fool about?
8. When the Man looks through the screen at night in Scene 6, what does he see?
(a) The full moon.
(b) The Woman.
(d) A family of deer.
9. What is the Woman wearing in the sixth scene?
(a) A fancy dress.
(b) A suit of armor.
(c) A beautiful kimono.
(d) Her nightshirt.
10. What reason does the Woman give for teaching herself?
(a) So she will be protected from the wild.
(b) So she will never go hungry.
(c) So she can chase away the silence.
(d) So she will never forget.
11. What does the Man confess to the Woman in Scene 9?
(a) He is married and has children.
(b) He came to her home seeking glory.
(c) He is not really a warrior.
(d) He is in love with her.
12. At the beginning of Scene 8, the Woman tries to make plans with the Man to do what?
(a) Go for a walk and pick flowers.
(b) Help her with chores.
(c) Practice fighting with her.
(d) Play music.
13. What is the Man doing when the Woman asks him to join her in the eighth scene?
(a) Practicing with a sword.
(c) Drinking tea.
(d) Doing chores.
14. What does the Woman point out on the floor?
(a) A longtime stain.
(b) Spots of blood.
(c) The woodgrain.
15. What is the Man doing at the end of the play?
(a) Playing the flute.
(b) Practicing with his sword.
(d) Walking to meet the Woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the appearance of the Woman at the end of the play?
2. In the fifth scene, why does the Man excitedly congratulate himself?
3. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
4. What does the Woman ask the Man to do in the last scene, which he refuses?
5. What does the Man get out of his pocket at the end of the sixth scene?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)