|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man do at the end of the final scene?
(a) Stays with the Woman.
(b) Leaves and never comes back.
(c) Sits and meditates on his life.
(d) Leaves and comes back a few minutes later.
2. Why is the Woman shocked to see the Man when she comes back in Scene 8?
(a) He is sitting in a dangerous position.
(b) He is not wearing clothes.
(c) He is sleeping.
(d) He is gone.
3. What does the Woman point out on the floor?
(b) Spots of blood.
(c) The woodgrain.
(d) A longtime stain.
4. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
(a) She is meditating.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is weeping.
5. What does the Man say he is a fool about?
6. In the last scene, what does the Man ask the Woman to force him to do?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Stay with her.
(c) Love her.
(d) Give her money.
7. What does the Man kill with his sword?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A bird.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A grasshopper.
8. What does the Woman say she tried to do for both the Man and herself?
(a) Find a new home.
(b) Bring wealth to them.
(c) Bring happiness to them.
(d) Make both of them less lonely.
9. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) A monk devoted to his faith.
(b) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(c) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
(d) Married with many children.
10. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
(a) He cannot see.
(b) He has no faith.
(c) He is weak.
(d) He has no money.
11. What does the Woman say she tried to fill the silence with?
(b) Beautiful flowers.
(c) The sound of a voice.
(d) The music of her flute.
12. What is the Man carrying at the beginning of Scene 9?
(a) A harp.
(b) The vase of flowers.
(c) A bundle of his belongings.
(d) An injured bird.
13. Why does the Woman say the Man would not like her music?
(a) She plays badly.
(b) She is uneducated.
(c) He is from the city.
(d) He is deaf.
14. What does the Man get out of his pocket at the end of the sixth scene?
(a) A knife.
(b) A flower.
(c) A map.
15. What does the Man do when he is excited about his accomplishment in Scene 5?
(a) He sings a song.
(b) He writes a letter.
(c) He dances.
(d) He embraces the Woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the Woman give for teaching herself?
2. What reason does the Man say he no longer can stay with the Woman?
3. What does the Woman urge the Man to do at the end of the fifth scene?
4. What does the Man say the Woman can listen to in Scene 5?
5. What does the Man say the Woman has transformed?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)