|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Man doing when the Woman asks him to join her in the eighth scene?
(a) Drinking tea.
(b) Practicing with a sword.
(c) Doing chores.
2. What does the Woman tell the Man he will fall into unless he is careful?
(a) A pit of pain.
(b) A crevasse of loneliness.
(c) A lot of money.
(d) A nest of thorns.
3. What is the Woman doing in Scene 6?
(a) Dancing with the vase.
(b) Spying on the Man.
(c) Doing chores.
4. What does the Man want the Woman to do for him one day in Scene 5?
(a) Make his favorite food.
(b) Become his wife.
(c) Write him a story.
(d) Play her music for him.
5. What condition is the Woman in at the end of the play?
(a) She is asleep.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is meditating.
(d) She is weeping.
6. What reason does the Woman give for teaching herself?
(a) So she will never go hungry.
(b) So she will be protected from the wild.
(c) So she can chase away the silence.
(d) So she will never forget.
7. What does the Man kill with his sword?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A bird.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A grasshopper.
8. When the Man looks through the screen at night in Scene 6, what does he see?
(a) The full moon.
(b) A family of deer.
(c) The Woman.
9. What does the Man do when he is excited about his accomplishment in Scene 5?
(a) He embraces the Woman.
(b) He dances.
(c) He writes a letter.
(d) He sings a song.
10. What does the Man say he last heard about his friend's condition?
(a) Dead with a smile and a sword through his neck.
(b) Dead, having fought bravely in battle.
(c) Married with many children.
(d) A monk devoted to his faith.
11. How does the Man react to what he hears in Scene 6?
(a) He is calm and does not draw his sword.
(b) He draws his sword and is aware.
(c) He goes back to sleep.
(d) He gets angry and yells.
12. What falls to the ground at the very end of the play?
(c) Flower petals.
(d) Dry leaves.
13. Why does the Man say he failed in his purpose?
(a) He cannot see.
(b) He has no faith.
(c) He is weak.
(d) He has no money.
14. What does the Woman say she dreamed about?
(a) The Man making her laugh.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The Man and his sword.
(d) The song of the flute.
15. What does the Man hear in the sixth scene?
(a) A flute.
(b) A storm.
(c) The wind.
(d) A bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman ask the Man to do in the last scene, which he refuses?
2. What does the Man say the Woman can listen to in Scene 5?
3. What does the Woman say she normally cannot bear?
4. At the beginning of Scene 8, the Woman tries to make plans with the Man to do what?
5. What does the Man put down at the end of the last scene?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)