|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
2. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
3. Who are the two main characters?
(a) A brother and a sister.
(b) Two brothers.
(c) A husband and a wife.
(d) A man and a woman.
4. What country is the play's setting?
(d) United States.
5. What does the Man hear in Scene 4 that wakes him up?
(a) Birds' chirping.
(c) A scream.
(d) The flute.
6. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sword.
(b) The Man's sleeping mat.
(c) Her silk kimono.
(d) The vase of flowers.
7. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) The size of his belly.
(b) His sword-fighting abilities.
(c) The neighbors.
(d) The Woman's cooking.
8. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) Across the sea.
(b) The city.
(c) The south.
(d) The north.
9. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
(a) Being hungry.
(b) A lot of sound.
(c) Lots of women.
(d) Being waited on.
10. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) Her pet bird.
(c) A silk kimono.
(d) Her own sword.
11. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
(a) A map.
(b) His journal.
(c) His sword.
(d) The flower.
12. How does Scene 1 conclude?
(a) The Woman is cries in her room.
(b) The Man sits on a mat, sword by his side.
(c) The Woman sings to the Man.
(d) The Man falls asleep peacefully.
13. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(b) The flowers start to grow.
(c) She gets magical powers.
(d) The flowers last for months.
14. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(b) New clothes.
(d) A new sword.
15. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Peter Bacho.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) David Henry Hwang.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
2. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
3. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
4. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
5. What does the Woman say frightens her?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)