|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
(a) They are beautiful.
(b) They do not grow nearby.
(c) They are ugly.
(d) They are poisonous.
2. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
(a) Falls asleep.
(b) Yells at her to hurry.
(c) Watches the woman.
(d) Takes a flower out of the vase.
3. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) The size of his belly.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The Woman's cooking.
(d) His sword-fighting abilities.
4. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) The flowers last for months.
(b) The flowers start to grow.
(c) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(d) She gets magical powers.
5. What does the Woman thank the Man for doing in the third scene?
(a) Helping her cook.
(b) Giving her money.
(c) Keeping her company.
(d) Chopping so much wood.
6. What is/are the only prop/props seen onstage at the start of the play?
(a) A stained glass window.
(b) Table and chairs.
(c) A wheelbarrow.
(d) A vase of flowers.
7. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
(a) He is strong and in love.
(b) It is wonderful to hear the birds sing.
(c) It is a beautiful setting and any man could do it.
(d) It needs to be done so he has to do it.
8. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
(a) Beause he is not funny.
(b) Because he looks strong.
(c) Because she hates him.
(d) Because she loves him.
9. What country is the play's setting?
(b) United States.
10. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) Horses galloping.
(b) The rush of the river.
(c) The birds' singing.
(d) The sound of a voice.
11. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
(a) A map.
(b) The flower.
(c) His sword.
(d) His journal.
12. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) The Man's sword.
(c) Her silk kimono.
(d) The Man's sleeping mat.
13. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) Magical potions.
(b) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
(c) The life and breath of man.
(d) A world that is more beautiful than before.
14. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
(a) He yells for it to stop.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He sings along.
(d) He pulls out his sword.
15. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
2. Where does the Man hide the flower he takes in Scene 1?
3. What name does the Woman say is too common?
4. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
5. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)