|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
(a) Falls asleep.
(b) Watches the woman.
(c) Takes a flower out of the vase.
(d) Yells at her to hurry.
2. How does Scene 1 conclude?
(a) The Man sits on a mat, sword by his side.
(b) The Woman sings to the Man.
(c) The Man falls asleep peacefully.
(d) The Woman is cries in her room.
3. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
(a) He is wearing armor.
(b) He is dressed in rags.
(c) He is wearing his sleeping clothes.
(d) He is shirtless.
4. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He laughs and walks away.
(b) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
(c) He lies to her.
(d) He breaks down and cries.
5. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) She walks and picks them.
(b) They are left on her doorstep.
(c) She buys them at the market.
(d) Visitors bring them.
6. What does the Man ask the Woman when she tells him her fears?
(a) How is her husband?
(b) How can she sleep in a quiet place?
(c) How are her children?
(d) How does she make a living?
7. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
8. What is the Man disturbed by in Scene 1?
(a) The cry of a bird.
(b) The sound of a flute.
(c) The Woman's singing.
(d) The Woman's coughing.
9. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) Across the sea.
(b) The city.
(c) The north.
(d) The south.
10. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) His sword-fighting abilities.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) The Woman's cooking.
(d) The size of his belly.
11. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his name is.
(b) What his purpose here is.
(c) If he is married.
(d) How old he is.
12. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) Her pet bird.
(b) Her own sword.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) A silk kimono.
13. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) Her aching back.
(b) The Man's leg.
(c) The Man's belly.
(d) The Man's cheek.
14. What names does the Woman jokingly call the Man?
(a) Man Who Loves Life and Man Who Drinks.
(b) Man Who Is Unafraid and Man Who Is Brave.
(c) Man Who Fears Silence and Man Who Fears Women.
(d) Man Who Fears Love and Man Who Fears Himself.
15. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Peter Bacho.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) David Henry Hwang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
2. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
3. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
4. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
5. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)