|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Practicing with his sword.
(d) Writing in a journal.
2. What names does the Woman jokingly call the Man?
(a) Man Who Fears Love and Man Who Fears Himself.
(b) Man Who Is Unafraid and Man Who Is Brave.
(c) Man Who Loves Life and Man Who Drinks.
(d) Man Who Fears Silence and Man Who Fears Women.
3. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
4. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) They are left on her doorstep.
(b) Visitors bring them.
(c) She walks and picks them.
(d) She buys them at the market.
5. What is the Man doing in the beginning of the second scene?
(a) Eating breakfast.
(b) Sharpening his sword.
(d) Preparing to leave.
6. What name does the Woman say is too common?
(a) Man Who Fears Women.
(b) Man Who Fears Darkness.
(c) Man Who Fears Silence.
(d) Man Who Fears Himself.
7. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) Her aching back.
(b) The Man's leg.
(c) The Man's cheek.
(d) The Man's belly.
8. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He lies to her.
(b) He breaks down and cries.
(c) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
(d) He laughs and walks away.
9. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) David Henry Hwang.
(d) Peter Bacho.
10. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) Her pet bird.
(c) A silk kimono.
(d) Her own sword.
11. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
(a) A map.
(b) His journal.
(c) His sword.
(d) The flower.
12. What does the Woman convince the Man to do at the conclusion of the second scene?
(a) Giver her money.
(b) Play a game.
(c) Stay with her.
13. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
(a) Beause he is not funny.
(b) Because she hates him.
(c) Because she loves him.
(d) Because he looks strong.
14. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) The city.
(b) The south.
(c) Across the sea.
(d) The north.
15. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The sound of a voice.
(b) The rush of the river.
(c) Horses galloping.
(d) The birds' singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
2. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
3. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
4. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
5. What does the Woman say she creates?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)