|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
(a) She will hear the Man's breathing at night.
(b) She will take medicine for sleeping.
(c) She will not be cold.
(d) She will hear the wind.
2. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) The neighbors.
(b) The Woman's cooking.
(c) The size of his belly.
(d) His sword-fighting abilities.
3. What does the Man hear in Scene 4 that wakes him up?
(a) Birds' chirping.
(b) A scream.
(c) The flute.
4. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Writing in a journal.
(b) Practicing with his sword.
(d) Chopping wood.
5. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) Across the sea.
(b) The city.
(c) The south.
(d) The north.
6. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He breaks down and cries.
(b) He lies to her.
(c) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
(d) He laughs and walks away.
7. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The vase of flowers.
(b) The Man's sword.
(c) Her silk kimono.
(d) The Man's sleeping mat.
8. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his name is.
(b) How old he is.
(c) If he is married.
(d) What his purpose here is.
9. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
(a) Because she loves him.
(b) Because he looks strong.
(c) Because she hates him.
(d) Beause he is not funny.
10. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) David Henry Hwang.
(d) Peter Bacho.
11. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) She walks and picks them.
(b) They are left on her doorstep.
(c) She buys them at the market.
(d) Visitors bring them.
12. What does the Woman say frightens her?
13. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) The Man's belly.
(b) Her aching back.
(c) The Man's cheek.
(d) The Man's leg.
14. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(b) The flowers start to grow.
(c) She gets magical powers.
(d) The flowers last for months.
15. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman say she creates?
2. What reason does the Woman give the Man to stop his chore in Scene 3?
3. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
4. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
5. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)