|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman say frightens her?
2. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sleeping mat.
(b) Her silk kimono.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) The Man's sword.
3. Where does the Man hide the flower he takes in Scene 1?
(a) Behind his back.
(b) Under the floorboards.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) In his bag.
4. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his name is.
(b) If he is married.
(c) How old he is.
(d) What his purpose here is.
5. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
(a) They are poisonous.
(b) They are beautiful.
(c) They do not grow nearby.
(d) They are ugly.
6. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The birds' singing.
(b) The sound of a voice.
(c) The rush of the river.
(d) Horses galloping.
7. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
(a) Removes his shoes.
(b) Brings food.
(c) Takes his cloak.
(d) Pours tea.
8. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
9. Who are the two main characters?
(a) A man and a woman.
(b) Two brothers.
(c) A husband and a wife.
(d) A brother and a sister.
10. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
(a) He pulls out his sword.
(b) He yells for it to stop.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He sings along.
11. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) The city.
(b) Across the sea.
(c) The north.
(d) The south.
12. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) The Man's belly.
(b) Her aching back.
(c) The Man's leg.
(d) The Man's cheek.
13. How does Scene 1 conclude?
(a) The Woman is cries in her room.
(b) The Man falls asleep peacefully.
(c) The Man sits on a mat, sword by his side.
(d) The Woman sings to the Man.
14. What does the Man say scares him?
15. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
(a) It is a beautiful setting and any man could do it.
(b) It is wonderful to hear the birds sing.
(c) He is strong and in love.
(d) It needs to be done so he has to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is the play's setting?
2. What does the Woman thank the Man for doing in the third scene?
3. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
4. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
5. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)