|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
2. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) Her pet bird.
(b) The vase of flowers.
(c) A silk kimono.
(d) Her own sword.
3. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his purpose here is.
(b) If he is married.
(c) How old he is.
(d) What his name is.
4. What is the Man doing in the beginning of the second scene?
(a) Preparing to leave.
(b) Sharpening his sword.
(d) Eating breakfast.
5. What does the Woman say frightens her?
6. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
(a) He is wearing his sleeping clothes.
(b) He is shirtless.
(c) He is dressed in rags.
(d) He is wearing armor.
7. How does Scene 1 conclude?
(a) The Man falls asleep peacefully.
(b) The Man sits on a mat, sword by his side.
(c) The Woman is cries in her room.
(d) The Woman sings to the Man.
8. What does the Woman convince the Man to do at the conclusion of the second scene?
(a) Giver her money.
(b) Stay with her.
(d) Play a game.
9. What does the Man say scares him?
10. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He laughs and walks away.
(b) He breaks down and cries.
(c) He lies to her.
(d) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
11. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) David Henry Hwang.
(d) Peter Bacho.
12. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) She buys them at the market.
(b) She walks and picks them.
(c) They are left on her doorstep.
(d) Visitors bring them.
13. Who are the two main characters?
(a) Two brothers.
(b) A man and a woman.
(c) A husband and a wife.
(d) A brother and a sister.
14. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
(a) They are beautiful.
(b) They are ugly.
(c) They are poisonous.
(d) They do not grow nearby.
15. What country is the play's setting?
(c) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
2. What is/are the only prop/props seen onstage at the start of the play?
3. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
4. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
5. What does the Woman say she creates?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)