|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man say scares him?
2. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his purpose here is.
(b) What his name is.
(c) If he is married.
(d) How old he is.
3. What does the Woman thank the Man for doing in the third scene?
(a) Chopping so much wood.
(b) Giving her money.
(c) Keeping her company.
(d) Helping her cook.
4. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(c) Writing in a journal.
(d) Chopping wood.
5. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(b) The flowers start to grow.
(c) The flowers last for months.
(d) She gets magical powers.
6. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) A world that is more beautiful than before.
(b) The life and breath of man.
(c) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
(d) Magical potions.
7. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
8. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
(a) His sword.
(b) The flower.
(c) His journal.
(d) A map.
9. What does the Man hear in Scene 4 that wakes him up?
(a) A scream.
(b) The flute.
(c) Birds' chirping.
10. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
(a) Because he looks strong.
(b) Because she hates him.
(c) Beause he is not funny.
(d) Because she loves him.
11. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
(a) Being hungry.
(b) Lots of women.
(c) A lot of sound.
(d) Being waited on.
12. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) She walks and picks them.
(b) Visitors bring them.
(c) She buys them at the market.
(d) They are left on her doorstep.
13. What country is the play's setting?
(d) United States.
14. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The rush of the river.
(b) The birds' singing.
(c) The sound of a voice.
(d) Horses galloping.
15. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
(a) He is strong and in love.
(b) It is wonderful to hear the birds sing.
(c) It needs to be done so he has to do it.
(d) It is a beautiful setting and any man could do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
2. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
3. What does the Woman convince the Man to do at the conclusion of the second scene?
4. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
5. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)