|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He sings along.
(c) He pulls out his sword.
(d) He yells for it to stop.
2. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
3. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his name is.
(b) What his purpose here is.
(c) How old he is.
(d) If he is married.
4. Why does the Man say he can do so much work?
(a) He is strong and in love.
(b) It needs to be done so he has to do it.
(c) It is wonderful to hear the birds sing.
(d) It is a beautiful setting and any man could do it.
5. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sleeping mat.
(b) The Man's sword.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) Her silk kimono.
6. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
(a) Removes his shoes.
(b) Pours tea.
(c) Brings food.
(d) Takes his cloak.
7. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The birds' singing.
(b) The sound of a voice.
(c) Horses galloping.
(d) The rush of the river.
8. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(b) Chopping wood.
(d) Writing in a journal.
9. Where does the Man hide the flower he takes in Scene 1?
(a) Under the floorboards.
(b) Behind his back.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) In his bag.
10. What does the Man say scares him?
11. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) The Man's belly.
(b) The Man's cheek.
(c) Her aching back.
(d) The Man's leg.
12. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) Magical potions.
(b) A world that is more beautiful than before.
(c) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
(d) The life and breath of man.
13. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(b) New clothes.
(c) A new sword.
14. What does the Woman thank the Man for doing in the third scene?
(a) Chopping so much wood.
(b) Helping her cook.
(c) Giving her money.
(d) Keeping her company.
15. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
(a) Yells at her to hurry.
(b) Takes a flower out of the vase.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Watches the woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
2. What is/are the only prop/props seen onstage at the start of the play?
3. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
4. What names does the Woman jokingly call the Man?
5. What reason does the Woman give the Man to stop his chore in Scene 3?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)