|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) The flowers last for months.
(b) The flowers start to grow.
(c) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(d) She gets magical powers.
2. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
(a) His muscles.
(b) The sun.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His belly.
3. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(b) A new sword.
(c) New clothes.
4. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) Visitors bring them.
(b) She buys them at the market.
(c) She walks and picks them.
(d) They are left on her doorstep.
5. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
(a) He is wearing armor.
(b) He is wearing his sleeping clothes.
(c) He is dressed in rags.
(d) He is shirtless.
6. What does the Woman say frightens her?
7. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his name is.
(b) If he is married.
(c) What his purpose here is.
(d) How old he is.
8. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sleeping mat.
(b) The Man's sword.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) Her silk kimono.
9. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
(a) Takes a flower out of the vase.
(b) Falls asleep.
(c) Watches the woman.
(d) Yells at her to hurry.
10. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
(b) He lies to her.
(c) He laughs and walks away.
(d) He breaks down and cries.
11. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(b) Amy Tan.
(c) Peter Bacho.
(d) David Henry Hwang.
12. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(b) Writing in a journal.
(c) Practicing with his sword.
(d) Chopping wood.
13. What names does the Woman jokingly call the Man?
(a) Man Who Loves Life and Man Who Drinks.
(b) Man Who Fears Silence and Man Who Fears Women.
(c) Man Who Is Unafraid and Man Who Is Brave.
(d) Man Who Fears Love and Man Who Fears Himself.
14. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) Horses galloping.
(b) The sound of a voice.
(c) The rush of the river.
(d) The birds' singing.
15. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
(a) Beause he is not funny.
(b) Because she hates him.
(c) Because he looks strong.
(d) Because she loves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two main characters?
2. What does the Woman say she creates?
3. What is the Man doing in the beginning of the second scene?
4. What is the Man disturbed by in Scene 1?
5. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)