|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country is the play's setting?
(b) United States.
2. What does the Man ask the Woman when she tells him her fears?
(a) How are her children?
(b) How is her husband?
(c) How does she make a living?
(d) How can she sleep in a quiet place?
3. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) A silk kimono.
(b) The vase of flowers.
(c) Her own sword.
(d) Her pet bird.
4. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) Visitors bring them.
(b) They are left on her doorstep.
(c) She buys them at the market.
(d) She walks and picks them.
5. What does the Woman say frightens her?
6. What does the Man hear in Scene 4 that wakes him up?
(a) The flute.
(b) Birds' chirping.
(c) A scream.
7. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
(a) He is wearing armor.
(b) He is wearing his sleeping clothes.
(c) He is shirtless.
(d) He is dressed in rags.
8. What is the Man disturbed by in Scene 1?
(a) The cry of a bird.
(b) The sound of a flute.
(c) The Woman's singing.
(d) The Woman's coughing.
9. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
(a) She will take medicine for sleeping.
(b) She will hear the Man's breathing at night.
(c) She will hear the wind.
(d) She will not be cold.
10. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) The world.
(b) Her singing.
(c) His belly.
11. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The rush of the river.
(b) The birds' singing.
(c) Horses galloping.
(d) The sound of a voice.
12. What does the Man get out to look at in Scene 4?
(a) His journal.
(b) A map.
(c) His sword.
(d) The flower.
13. Who are the two main characters?
(a) A husband and a wife.
(b) A brother and a sister.
(c) A man and a woman.
(d) Two brothers.
14. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(b) New clothes.
(d) A new sword.
15. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Amy Tan.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) Peter Bacho.
(d) David Henry Hwang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
2. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
3. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
4. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
5. What does the Woman say she creates?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)