|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) What his purpose here is.
(b) How old he is.
(c) What his name is.
(d) If he is married.
2. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) The Man's cheek.
(b) Her aching back.
(c) The Man's belly.
(d) The Man's leg.
3. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) The south.
(b) Across the sea.
(c) The north.
(d) The city.
4. What names does the Woman jokingly call the Man?
(a) Man Who Is Unafraid and Man Who Is Brave.
(b) Man Who Fears Silence and Man Who Fears Women.
(c) Man Who Fears Love and Man Who Fears Himself.
(d) Man Who Loves Life and Man Who Drinks.
5. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
(a) Takes his cloak.
(b) Removes his shoes.
(c) Pours tea.
(d) Brings food.
6. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He laughs and walks away.
(b) He lies to her.
(c) He breaks down and cries.
(d) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
7. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(b) Amy Tan.
(c) Peter Bacho.
(d) David Henry Hwang.
8. What reason does the Woman give the Man to stop his chore in Scene 3?
(a) There is no more to do.
(b) She will finish it.
(c) He looks tired.
(d) It is time to eat.
9. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) His belly.
(b) The world.
(d) Her singing.
10. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
(a) He is wearing armor.
(b) He is dressed in rags.
(c) He is shirtless.
(d) He is wearing his sleeping clothes.
11. What does the Woman thank the Man for doing in the third scene?
(a) Helping her cook.
(b) Keeping her company.
(c) Giving her money.
(d) Chopping so much wood.
12. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
(b) Magical potions.
(c) A world that is more beautiful than before.
(d) The life and breath of man.
13. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
(a) A lot of sound.
(b) Being waited on.
(c) Being hungry.
(d) Lots of women.
14. What does the Woman say frightens her?
15. What country is the play's setting?
(a) United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
2. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
3. How does Scene 1 conclude?
4. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
5. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)