|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) Horses galloping.
(b) The sound of a voice.
(c) The birds' singing.
(d) The rush of the river.
2. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
(a) Brings food.
(b) Pours tea.
(c) Takes his cloak.
(d) Removes his shoes.
3. What does the Man ask the Woman when she tells him her fears?
(a) How is her husband?
(b) How are her children?
(c) How does she make a living?
(d) How can she sleep in a quiet place?
4. What name does the Woman say is too common?
(a) Man Who Fears Himself.
(b) Man Who Fears Darkness.
(c) Man Who Fears Silence.
(d) Man Who Fears Women.
5. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) They are left on her doorstep.
(b) She buys them at the market.
(c) She walks and picks them.
(d) Visitors bring them.
6. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
(a) They are beautiful.
(b) They are poisonous.
(c) They do not grow nearby.
(d) They are ugly.
7. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
(a) A lot of sound.
(b) Being waited on.
(c) Being hungry.
(d) Lots of women.
8. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) Across the sea.
(b) The north.
(c) The south.
(d) The city.
9. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) Magical potions.
(b) The life and breath of man.
(c) A world that is more beautiful than before.
(d) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
10. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(b) New clothes.
(d) A new sword.
11. What does the Woman say frightens her?
12. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
(a) Because he looks strong.
(b) Beause he is not funny.
(c) Because she loves him.
(d) Because she hates him.
13. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sword.
(b) The Man's sleeping mat.
(c) The vase of flowers.
(d) Her silk kimono.
14. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(b) Amy Tan.
(c) Peter Bacho.
(d) David Henry Hwang.
15. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) His belly.
(b) The world.
(c) Her singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two main characters?
2. What is the Man doing in the beginning of the second scene?
3. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
4. What does the Man say scares him?
5. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)