|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) The Woman's cooking.
(b) The size of his belly.
(c) His sword-fighting abilities.
(d) The neighbors.
2. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
(a) She will hear the Man's breathing at night.
(b) She will take medicine for sleeping.
(c) She will hear the wind.
(d) She will not be cold.
3. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) His belly.
(c) Her singing.
(d) The world.
4. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Peter Bacho.
(b) Amy Tan.
(c) David Henry Hwang.
(d) Jhumpa Lahiri.
5. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
(b) A world that is more beautiful than before.
(c) Magical potions.
(d) The life and breath of man.
6. How is the Man dressed in Scene 3?
(a) He is wearing his sleeping clothes.
(b) He is shirtless.
(c) He is dressed in rags.
(d) He is wearing armor.
7. What does the Man notice the Woman is staring at in Scene 3?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His muscles.
(c) His belly.
(d) The sun.
8. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) The flowers start to grow.
(b) She gets magical powers.
(c) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(d) The flowers last for months.
9. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(b) Writing in a journal.
(c) Chopping wood.
10. How does Scene 1 conclude?
(a) The Woman is cries in her room.
(b) The Man sits on a mat, sword by his side.
(c) The Woman sings to the Man.
(d) The Man falls asleep peacefully.
11. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(a) New clothes.
(c) A new sword.
12. What does the Man say about the flowers in the vase?
(a) They do not grow nearby.
(b) They are poisonous.
(c) They are ugly.
(d) They are beautiful.
13. What is the Man disturbed by in Scene 1?
(a) The cry of a bird.
(b) The Woman's coughing.
(c) The sound of a flute.
(d) The Woman's singing.
14. What does the Man say scares him?
15. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The sound of a voice.
(b) Horses galloping.
(c) The rush of the river.
(d) The birds' singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
2. What is/are the only prop/props seen onstage at the start of the play?
3. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
4. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
5. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)