|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
(a) Brings food.
(b) Takes his cloak.
(c) Pours tea.
(d) Removes his shoes.
2. What does the Woman bring inside the room in Scene 2?
(a) A silk kimono.
(b) The vase of flowers.
(c) Her pet bird.
(d) Her own sword.
3. In the first scene, after the Woman clears the dishes, what does she take with her out of the room?
(a) The Man's sword.
(b) The vase of flowers.
(c) The Man's sleeping mat.
(d) Her silk kimono.
4. What does the Man make a joke about in Scene 3?
(a) His sword-fighting abilities.
(b) The size of his belly.
(c) The Woman's cooking.
(d) The neighbors.
5. The Man reveals he is from where?
(a) The south.
(b) The city.
(c) The north.
(d) Across the sea.
6. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The birds' singing.
(b) The rush of the river.
(c) The sound of a voice.
(d) Horses galloping.
7. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
(a) If he is married.
(b) How old he is.
(c) What his name is.
(d) What his purpose here is.
8. What does the Woman bring the Man in Scene 2?
(a) A new sword.
(b) New clothes.
9. In Scene 1, the Woman reveals that she does not have many what?
10. What is/are the only prop/props seen onstage at the start of the play?
(a) A stained glass window.
(b) A wheelbarrow.
(c) A vase of flowers.
(d) Table and chairs.
11. What does the Woman touch at the end of Scene 3?
(a) The Man's leg.
(b) The Man's cheek.
(c) The Man's belly.
(d) Her aching back.
12. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
(a) She will not be cold.
(b) She will take medicine for sleeping.
(c) She will hear the Man's breathing at night.
(d) She will hear the wind.
13. What does the Man say scares him?
14. What does the Woman say she creates?
(a) The life and breath of man.
(b) A world that is more beautiful than before.
(c) Magical potions.
(d) A world beyond that which the Man can know.
15. What does the Woman say happens when she takes care of her flowers?
(a) The flowers start to grow.
(b) She makes perfume from the flowers.
(c) The flowers last for months.
(d) She gets magical powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
2. How does Scene 1 conclude?
3. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
4. Who are the two main characters?
5. The Man says he is accustomed to what?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)