|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Man's response when the Woman asks where he is going in the second scene?
(a) He lies to her.
(b) He is unable and unprepared to tell her.
(c) He breaks down and cries.
(d) He laughs and walks away.
2. What does the Woman tell the Man that he should learn to love?
(a) The world.
(b) His belly.
(c) Her singing.
3. The Woman says she is glad to hear what?
(a) The birds' singing.
(b) Horses galloping.
(c) The sound of a voice.
(d) The rush of the river.
4. Who are the two main characters?
(a) A brother and a sister.
(b) A husband and a wife.
(c) A man and a woman.
(d) Two brothers.
5. Who is the author of "The Sound of a Voice"?
(a) Peter Bacho.
(b) Jhumpa Lahiri.
(c) David Henry Hwang.
(d) Amy Tan.
6. What is the Man doing in the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Practicing with his sword.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Writing in a journal.
7. When the Woman is preparing something to eat for the Man, what does the Man do?
(a) Watches the woman.
(b) Yells at her to hurry.
(c) Takes a flower out of the vase.
(d) Falls asleep.
8. What is the first thing the Woman does for the Man?
(a) Takes his cloak.
(b) Brings food.
(c) Pours tea.
(d) Removes his shoes.
9. How does Scene 1 conclude?
(a) The Man sits on a mat, sword by his side.
(b) The Woman sings to the Man.
(c) The Woman is cries in her room.
(d) The Man falls asleep peacefully.
10. What names does the Woman jokingly call the Man?
(a) Man Who Loves Life and Man Who Drinks.
(b) Man Who Fears Silence and Man Who Fears Women.
(c) Man Who Fears Love and Man Who Fears Himself.
(d) Man Who Is Unafraid and Man Who Is Brave.
11. What does the Woman say frightens her?
12. What does the Man do when he hears the noise that disturbs him?
(a) He sings along.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He yells for it to stop.
(d) He pulls out his sword.
13. The Woman says she will sleep well because of what reason?
(a) She will hear the wind.
(b) She will take medicine for sleeping.
(c) She will not be cold.
(d) She will hear the Man's breathing at night.
14. What reason does the Woman give for how she gets her flowers?
(a) They are left on her doorstep.
(b) She walks and picks them.
(c) She buys them at the market.
(d) Visitors bring them.
15. What reason does the Woman give the Man to stop his chore in Scene 3?
(a) It is time to eat.
(b) There is no more to do.
(c) She will finish it.
(d) He looks tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the Woman say the Man can call her?
2. Why does the Woman say the Man should not make jokes?
3. As the Woman rolls out the sleeping mat, what does she ask the Man?
4. What country is the play's setting?
5. What name does the Woman say is too common?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)