|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quentin buy after breakfast?
2. Whose watch can Quentin hear ticking?
3. What is "to go for a swim at night without knowing how to swim," a reference to?
4. What does Jason find in a letter from Caddy?
5. How late does Jason say Caddy's check is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
2. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
3. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
4. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
5. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
6. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
7. How does Quentin react when he is accused of kidnapping the the Italian girl?
8. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
9. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
10. Why is it significant that Quentin drowns himself with flat irons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the similirities between Caddy and her daughter Quentin? Why do you think Jason treats them so badly?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book suggests something more violent than what actually happens. What meaning do you think the title gives the book? Do you think the title is appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)