|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quentin try to persuade Caddy not to do?
2. What is "to go for a swim at night without knowing how to swim," a reference to?
3. Who does Quentin remember fighting with?
4. What does Jason never want Lorraine to do?
5. What is the name of Jason's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
2. What tragedies do you think have have shaped Jason's life?
3. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
4. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
5. In what way does Quentin idealize women?
6. Why is it significant that Quentin drowns himself with flat irons?
7. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
8. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
9. Describe Quentin's character.
10. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jason's character. In what ways do you you think he is just doing good by his family? Why do you think he does not leave the family home? Is the attention he receives from his mother just as damaging as the lack of attention his siblings receive from her? Why do you think he treats Caddy and her daughter so badly?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the similirities between Caddy and her daughter Quentin? Why do you think Jason treats them so badly?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)