|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason tell the telegraph operator to do with his telegraph?
2. What time does Jason check his shares?
3. What did Quentin cheat at?
4. Who is the only member of the family whom Mrs. Compson thinks has not been a curse on her?
5. What is "to go for a swim at night without knowing how to swim," a reference to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Quentin see Caddy?
2. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
3. What do you think is Jason's opinion on women?
4. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
5. In what way does Quentin show his obsession with time?
6. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
7. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
8. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
9. What tragedies do you think have have shaped Jason's life?
10. Why do you think Quentin behaves so badly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Caddy's relationship with the following characters:
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book suggests something more violent than what actually happens. What meaning do you think the title gives the book? Do you think the title is appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think are the similirities between Caddy and her daughter Quentin? Why do you think Jason treats them so badly?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)