|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason find in a letter from Caddy?
2. What does Quentin buy at the hardware store?
3. What does Quentin do when the sheriff arrests him for abducting the Italian child?
4. What religion does Jason say he has nothing against?
5. Who does Quentin threaten to tell about Herbert's cheating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Quentin's character.
2. In what way does Quentin show his obsession with time?
3. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
4. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
5. In what way does Quentin idealize women?
6. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
7. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
8. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
9. How does Quentin react when he is accused of kidnapping the the Italian girl?
10. Why is it significant that Quentin drowns himself with flat irons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the similirities between Caddy and her daughter Quentin? Why do you think Jason treats them so badly?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Dilsey represents to the family? How do you think they would cope without her?
Essay Topic 3
A southern family is often depicted as close knit and bonded by religion and a strong identity. Why do you think Faulkner chose to portray a dysfunctional southern family during this time? What was happening in American life where he could make such a negative portrayal?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)