|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opening phrase of this section?
2. What is the name of the black man Quentin befriends?
3. What does Lorraine call Jason in her letter?
4. What did Quentin cheat at?
5. How does Quentin describe Gerald's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
2. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
3. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
4. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
5. Describe Quentin's character.
6. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
7. How does Quentin see Caddy?
8. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
9. Do think Quentin shares either of his parents characteristics?
10. Why does Ames say he hit Quentin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
Essay Topic 2
All the children grow up into very different characters. Why do you think they strive for individuality? Do you think it is more damaging than healthy? Do you think they are ever likely to find themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)