|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spoade call Quentin?
2. What does Quentin try to persuade Caddy not to do?
3. What does Mrs. Compson do with the checks that Caddy sends?
4. What does Quentin refuse to take from Herbert?
5. What does Quentin tell Shreve he is carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
2. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
3. How does Quentin see Caddy?
4. In what way does Quentin show his obsession with time?
5. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
6. Why does Ames say he hit Quentin?
7. Why is it significant that Quentin drowns himself with flat irons?
8. Why do you think Quentin behaves so badly?
9. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
10. What do you think is Jason's opinion on women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 2
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book suggests something more violent than what actually happens. What meaning do you think the title gives the book? Do you think the title is appropriate?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)