|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason say will happen to Dilsey if he lets Caddy see her child again?
2. Where does Lorraine live?
3. Why has Luster not changed Jason's tire?
4. What does Quentin tell the jeweler he has forgotten?
5. How much does Quentin have to pay to stop from going to court?
Short Essay Questions
1. In way does Jason show himself to be a racist?
2. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
3. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
4. Why do you think Quentin behaves so badly?
5. What tragedies do you think have have shaped Jason's life?
6. Describe Quentin's character.
7. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
8. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
9. Why does Ames say he hit Quentin?
10. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jason's character. In what ways do you you think he is just doing good by his family? Why do you think he does not leave the family home? Is the attention he receives from his mother just as damaging as the lack of attention his siblings receive from her? Why do you think he treats Caddy and her daughter so badly?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's life as a writer and a person. How much of the novel do you think comes from Faulkner's personal experience?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)