|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jason want to send Benjy to an asylum?
2. Who does Quentin say buys her school books?
3. What does Quentin do when the sheriff arrests him for abducting the Italian child?
4. What was the name of Caddy's husband?
5. What did Quentin cheat at?
Short Essay Questions
1. In way does Jason show himself to be a racist?
2. What tragedies do you think have have shaped Jason's life?
3. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
4. How does Quentin see Caddy?
5. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
6. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
7. Do think Quentin shares either of his parents characteristics?
8. In what way does Quentin idealize women?
9. How does Quentin react when he is accused of kidnapping the the Italian girl?
10. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of mental illness do you think Benjy has? How does his illness affect the other members of the family? Do you think the family allow his illness to affect them too much? What ways do you think they could deal with Benjy better?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Quentin tells his father that he was the one who got Caddy pregnant? Do you think he is hiding something? Do you think there are any indicators in the book to suggest he is a homosexual?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)