|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quentin buy after breakfast?
2. Why does Jason want to punish Caddy?
3. Who does Quentin see rowing on the river?
4. What was the name of Caddy's husband?
5. What does Quentin think will happen to Benjy when his father dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
2. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
3. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
4. In what way does Quentin show his obsession with time?
5. In way does Jason show himself to be a racist?
6. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
7. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
8. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
9. Why is it significant that Quentin drowns himself with flat irons?
10. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think the lack of attention from their parents affects the following characters;
2) The female Quentin
3) The male Quentin
Essay Topic 3
How do you think 1920's society reacts to Benjy's disability? How do you think people would react today?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)