|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Jason tell Dilsey Caddy has?
2. Where does Caddy find out about her father's death?
3. What does Gerald think is the only thing women can do?
4. What does Jason do with the money Caddy sends for Quentin's upkeep?
5. What does Jason tell the telegraph operator to do with his telegraph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Quentin's character.
2. In way does Jason show himself to be a racist?
3. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
4. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
5. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
6. Do think Quentin shares either of his parents characteristics?
7. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
8. Why do you think Quentin behaves so badly?
9. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
10. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 2
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Caddy's relationship with the following characters:
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)