|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jason go to check his shares?
2. How much is a store in Boston offering for catching a trout?
3. What is the opening phrase of this section?
4. Who does Quentin recall talking to?
5. What does Caddy do when Quentin asks her if she loves Ames?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
2. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
3. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
4. What tragedies do you think have have shaped Jason's life?
5. In way does Jason show himself to be a racist?
6. How does Quentin react when he is accused of kidnapping the the Italian girl?
7. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
8. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
9. Do think Quentin shares either of his parents characteristics?
10. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Quentin tells his father that he was the one who got Caddy pregnant? Do you think he is hiding something? Do you think there are any indicators in the book to suggest he is a homosexual?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think 1920's society reacts to Benjy's disability? How do you think people would react today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jason's character. In what ways do you you think he is just doing good by his family? Why do you think he does not leave the family home? Is the attention he receives from his mother just as damaging as the lack of attention his siblings receive from her? Why do you think he treats Caddy and her daughter so badly?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)