|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jason send a telegram to?
2. What is the opening phrase of this section?
3. What was the name of Caddy's husband?
4. What does Quentin think about the smell of honey suckle?
5. Who does Quentin see rowing on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
2. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
3. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
4. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
5. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
6. What do you think is Jason's opinion on women?
7. In way does Jason show himself to be a racist?
8. How does Quentin see Caddy?
9. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
10. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Faulkner's life as a writer and a person. How much of the novel do you think comes from Faulkner's personal experience?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)