|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of Jews does Jason resent?
2. What does Uncle Maury chew to mask the alcohol on his breath?
3. Why does Jason want to punish Caddy?
4. Who tries to attack Quentin?
5. What is the name of Jason's mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
2. How does Quentin see Caddy?
3. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
4. Do think Quentin shares either of his parents characteristics?
5. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
6. Why does Ames say he hit Quentin?
7. In what way does Quentin idealize women?
8. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
9. In what way does Faulkner suggest Caddy could be a homosexual?
10. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think are the similirities between Caddy and her daughter Quentin? Why do you think Jason treats them so badly?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin tells his father that he was the one who got Caddy pregnant? Do you think he is hiding something? Do you think there are any indicators in the book to suggest he is a homosexual?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)