|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Quentin think his sister has behaved?
2. What does Quentin buy after breakfast?
3. Who does Quentin say she wants?
4. What does Quentin think about the smell of honey suckle?
5. Where does Caddy find out about her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
2. Why does Jason want to get rid of Benjy?
3. Why is it significant that Quentin drowns himself with flat irons?
4. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
5. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
6. Why does Ames say he hit Quentin?
7. How does Quentin see Caddy?
8. Describe Quentin's character.
9. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
10. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Faulkner's life as a writer and a person. How much of the novel do you think comes from Faulkner's personal experience?
Essay Topic 2
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)