|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quentin think about the smell of honey suckle?
2. What is the name of Jason's boss?
3. What does Jason say will happen to Dilsey if he lets Caddy see her child again?
4. What does Quentin buy after breakfast?
5. What kind of Jews does Jason resent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Jason's problems excuse his often misogynist behavior?
2. Why do you think Quentin behaves so badly?
3. How does Quentin react when he is accused of kidnapping the the Italian girl?
4. What do you think is Jason's opinion on women?
5. In what way is Jason cruel to his sister Caddy?
6. Why do you think this chapter helps in understanding the story and characters better?
7. In what way is the unlikable Jason a victim of circumstances?
8. Why does Ames say he hit Quentin?
9. Describe Quentin's character.
10. In what way does Quentin idealize women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Faulkner express Benjy and Quentin's obsessive behavior? Why do you think Jason is the only narrator not to have obsessive behavior? What meaning does it give to his character and the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)