|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family's mother?
2. How does Caroline see her youngest son's affliction?
3. Which one of the Compson children is the only one who does not have a narrative?
4. Why does Quentin commit suicide?
5. Who does Benjy take letters to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
2. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
3. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
4. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
5. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
6. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
7. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
8. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
9. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
10. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the lack of attention from their parents affects the following characters;
2) The female Quentin
3) The male Quentin
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Faulkner express Benjy and Quentin's obsessive behavior? Why do you think Jason is the only narrator not to have obsessive behavior? What meaning does it give to his character and the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think Dilsey represents to the family? How do you think they would cope without her?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)