|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives the carriage in the final scene?
2. How old is Benjy on the day Faulkner recites his narrative?
3. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
4. What does the wealthy banker promise to do for Jason?
5. What does Luster offer to sell the golfer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
2. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
3. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
4. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
5. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
6. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
7. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
8. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
9. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
10. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Caddy's relationship with the following characters:
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)