|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Benjy's favorite sibling?
2. Why does Benjy cry in the carriage?
3. What does Quentin's father sell to send him to Harvard?
4. How does Maury get the money he uses to invest in business?
5. How does Caddy make Benjy cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
2. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
3. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
4. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
5. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
6. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
7. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
8. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
9. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
10. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A southern family is often depicted as close knit and bonded by religion and a strong identity. Why do you think Faulkner chose to portray a dysfunctional southern family during this time? What was happening in American life where he could make such a negative portrayal?
Essay Topic 2
Dilsey can be aggressive towards Jason. How do you think a black person role had changed in the 1920s since the days of slavery? Does Jason ever try to keep control of Dilsey?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)