|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting in the swing in present time?
2. Why does Caroline change Benjamin's name?
3. What does Benji have no understanding of?
4. Which one of the Compson children is the only one who does not have a narrative?
5. Who does Luster give the golf ball to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
2. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
3. Summarize the novel.
4. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
5. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
6. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
7. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
8. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
9. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
10. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Faulkner's life as a writer and a person. How much of the novel do you think comes from Faulkner's personal experience?
Essay Topic 2
Dilsey can be aggressive towards Jason. How do you think a black person role had changed in the 1920s since the days of slavery? Does Jason ever try to keep control of Dilsey?
Essay Topic 3
A southern family is often depicted as close knit and bonded by religion and a strong identity. Why do you think Faulkner chose to portray a dysfunctional southern family during this time? What was happening in American life where he could make such a negative portrayal?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)