|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maury get the money he uses to invest in business?
2. What are the people at the river doing?
3. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
4. Who is Benjy's favorite sibling?
5. Who does Roskus say is a sign of bad luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
2. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
3. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
4. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
5. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
6. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
7. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
8. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
9. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
10. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 2
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)