|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Quentin runaway with?
2. Where does Benjy's mother threaten to send him if he does not behave?
3. Where is Luster driving Benjy to?
4. What does Luster find in the water?
5. On whom does Jason vent his anger ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
2. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
3. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
4. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
5. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
6. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
7. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
10. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Faulkner express Benjy and Quentin's obsessive behavior? Why do you think Jason is the only narrator not to have obsessive behavior? What meaning does it give to his character and the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Dilsey represents to the family? How do you think they would cope without her?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)