|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Quentin's favorite sibling?
2. Who does Maury use to send notes to his lover?
3. Why does Dilsey place a piece of wood between Luster and Benjy at night?
4. How much money does Uncle Maury want from his sister?
5. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
2. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
3. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
4. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
5. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
6. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
7. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
8. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
9. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
10. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book suggests something more violent than what actually happens. What meaning do you think the title gives the book? Do you think the title is appropriate?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of mental illness do you think Benjy has? How does his illness affect the other members of the family? Do you think the family allow his illness to affect them too much? What ways do you think they could deal with Benjy better?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)