|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benjamin's original name?
2. Why does Benjy cry in the carriage?
3. What does Benjy say Caddy smells like?
4. Who is credited with looking after the children?
5. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
2. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
3. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
4. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
5. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
6. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
7. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
8. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
9. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
10. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Caddy's relationship with the following characters:
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Quentin always gets into fights? Do you think he is just protecting his sister's honor?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)