|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caddy do when Charlie wants Benjy to go away?
2. How many parts is the novel divided into?
3. Why is Quentin angry at Luster?
4. What does Benjy clasp in his hand in the carriage?
5. How old is Benjamin when his mother changes his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the female Quentin's role in the novel.
2. Summarize the novel.
3. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
4. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
5. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
6. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
7. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
8. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
9. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
10. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jason's character. In what ways do you you think he is just doing good by his family? Why do you think he does not leave the family home? Is the attention he receives from his mother just as damaging as the lack of attention his siblings receive from her? Why do you think he treats Caddy and her daughter so badly?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's life as a writer and a person. How much of the novel do you think comes from Faulkner's personal experience?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)