|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luster say to torment Benjy?
2. How old is Benjamin when his mother changes his name?
3. How does Benjy sense that something has changed about Caddy?
4. Who is the only sibling Caroline can relate to?
5. What color tie is Quentin's companion wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
2. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
3. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
4. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
5. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
8. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
9. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
10. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Faulkner's life as a writer and a person. How much of the novel do you think comes from Faulkner's personal experience?
Essay Topic 2
All the children grow up into very different characters. Why do you think they strive for individuality? Do you think it is more damaging than healthy? Do you think they are ever likely to find themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)