|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luster say to torment Benjy?
2. What does Benjy say Caddy smells like?
3. How does Caroline see her youngest son's affliction?
4. Who did Quentin have a fight with in a barn?
5. How is Luster related to Dilsey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
2. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
3. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
4. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
5. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
6. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
7. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
8. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
9. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
10. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the children grow up into very different characters. Why do you think they strive for individuality? Do you think it is more damaging than healthy? Do you think they are ever likely to find themselves?
Essay Topic 2
A southern family is often depicted as close knit and bonded by religion and a strong identity. Why do you think Faulkner chose to portray a dysfunctional southern family during this time? What was happening in American life where he could make such a negative portrayal?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think 1920's society reacts to Benjy's disability? How do you think people would react today?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)