|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Quentin say Benjy should be sent?
2. What does Benji have no understanding of?
3. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
4. Who does Mrs. Compson worry about leaving in the house?
5. How does Benjy sense that something has changed about Caddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the ending say about the two remaining brothers?
2. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
3. Do you think the book's sudden ending makes its impact stronger?
4. What problems does Jason have to deal with at home?
5. Describe the female Quentin's role in the novel.
6. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
7. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
8. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
9. What do you think is Jason's opinion on women?
10. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Jason's character. In what ways do you you think he is just doing good by his family? Why do you think he does not leave the family home? Is the attention he receives from his mother just as damaging as the lack of attention his siblings receive from her? Why do you think he treats Caddy and her daughter so badly?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book suggests something more violent than what actually happens. What meaning do you think the title gives the book? Do you think the title is appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Dilsey can be aggressive towards Jason. How do you think a black person role had changed in the 1920s since the days of slavery? Does Jason ever try to keep control of Dilsey?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)