|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Uncle Maury want from his sister?
2. How many children do Jason and Caroline Compson have?
3. Who does Maury use to send notes to his lover?
4. Where does Benjy's mother threaten to send him if he does not behave?
5. Who does Quentin runaway with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
2. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
3. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
4. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
5. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
6. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
7. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
8. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
9. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
10. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement; the female Quentin and Caddy's promiscuity is due to a lack of a proper father figure in their life.
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Faulkner express Benjy and Quentin's obsessive behavior? Why do you think Jason is the only narrator not to have obsessive behavior? What meaning does it give to his character and the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Dilsey can be aggressive towards Jason. How do you think a black person role had changed in the 1920s since the days of slavery? Does Jason ever try to keep control of Dilsey?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)