|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caddy name her daughter after?
2. What does Caroline wish for the sake of her husband and children?
3. Who did Quentin have a fight with in a barn?
4. What does Benji have no understanding of?
5. How does Benjy sense that something has changed about Caddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
2. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
3. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
4. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
5. Summarize the novel.
6. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
7. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
8. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
9. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
10. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
Essay Topic 2
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
Essay Topic 3
All the children grow up into very different characters. Why do you think they strive for individuality? Do you think it is more damaging than healthy? Do you think they are ever likely to find themselves?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)