|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the people at the river doing?
2. Who does Maury use to send notes to his lover?
3. Who does Caddy name her daughter after?
4. What is the family's surname?
5. How many parts is the novel divided into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
2. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
3. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
4. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
5. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
6. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
7. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
8. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
9. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
10. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement; the female Quentin and Caddy's promiscuity is due to a lack of a proper father figure in their life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
A southern family is often depicted as close knit and bonded by religion and a strong identity. Why do you think Faulkner chose to portray a dysfunctional southern family during this time? What was happening in American life where he could make such a negative portrayal?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)