|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
2. Why does Versh tell Caddy her mother will whip her?
3. How old is Benjy on the day Faulkner recites his narrative?
4. What does Caddy do when she finds out she is pregnant?
5. What does Caddy do when Charlie wants Benjy to go away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
2. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
3. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
4. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
5. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
6. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
7. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
8. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
9. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
10. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think 1920's society reacts to Benjy's disability? How do you think people would react today?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner writes in a southern Gothic style. What is the southern Gothic style? Where does it originate from? What meaning do you think it gave Southern literature?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Quentin always gets into fights? Do you think he is just protecting his sister's honor?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)