|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dilsey tell Luster to take Benjy?
2. What was Benjamin's original name?
3. How old is Benjamin when his mother changes his name?
4. Why does TP have to drive the carriage?
5. Why does Dilsey place a piece of wood between Luster and Benjy at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
2. Summarize the novel.
3. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
4. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
5. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
6. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
7. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
8. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
9. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
10. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Faulkner express Benjy and Quentin's obsessive behavior? Why do you think Jason is the only narrator not to have obsessive behavior? What meaning does it give to his character and the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
Essay Topic 3
Dilsey can be aggressive towards Jason. How do you think a black person role had changed in the 1920s since the days of slavery? Does Jason ever try to keep control of Dilsey?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)