|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maury get the money he uses to invest in business?
2. How is Luster related to Dilsey?
3. Who does Maury use to send notes to his lover?
4. What does Benji have no understanding of?
5. Why does Mrs. Compson not want TP to drive the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
2. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
3. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
4. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
5. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
6. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
7. Describe the female Quentin's role in the novel.
8. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
9. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
10. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Quentin tells his father that he was the one who got Caddy pregnant? Do you think he is hiding something? Do you think there are any indicators in the book to suggest he is a homosexual?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the three monologues. What different styles does Faulkner use for each one? Do you think they portray each character effectively? Why do you think Faulkner writes the final chapter in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
A southern family is often depicted as close knit and bonded by religion and a strong identity. Why do you think Faulkner chose to portray a dysfunctional southern family during this time? What was happening in American life where he could make such a negative portrayal?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)