|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the family's mother?
2. How does Caddy make Benjy cry?
3. What does Luster offer to sell the golfer?
4. What can Benjy smell when he goes out into the cold?
5. Who does Roskus say is a sign of bad luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
2. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
3. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
4. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
5. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
6. Do you think Caddy spoiled Benjy too much?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
9. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
10. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Quentin commits suicide? How do you think it affects the family?
Essay Topic 2
Dilsey can be aggressive towards Jason. How do you think a black person role had changed in the 1920s since the days of slavery? Does Jason ever try to keep control of Dilsey?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of mental illness do you think Benjy has? How does his illness affect the other members of the family? Do you think the family allow his illness to affect them too much? What ways do you think they could deal with Benjy better?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)