|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only sibling Caroline can relate to?
2. Who did Quentin have a fight with in a barn?
3. How does Benjy sense that something has changed about Caddy?
4. What does Benjy say Caddy smells like?
5. On whom does Jason vent his anger ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
2. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
3. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
4. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
5. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
6. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
7. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
8. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
9. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
10. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book suggests something more violent than what actually happens. What meaning do you think the title gives the book? Do you think the title is appropriate?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of mental illness do you think Benjy has? How does his illness affect the other members of the family? Do you think the family allow his illness to affect them too much? What ways do you think they could deal with Benjy better?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Jason's character. In what ways do you you think he is just doing good by his family? Why do you think he does not leave the family home? Is the attention he receives from his mother just as damaging as the lack of attention his siblings receive from her? Why do you think he treats Caddy and her daughter so badly?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)