|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Compson not want TP to drive the carriage?
2. What does the man in the red tie offer Benjy?
3. What is the name of the family's mother?
4. Who is credited with looking after the children?
5. For what reason does Quentin get into fights?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Sound and Fury end?
2. In what way is Quentin's behavior towards his sister inappropriate?
3. Why does Quentin tell Caddy her new husband is a cheat?
4. Why does Jason's boss Earl persist with him?
5. How does Quentin react when he is accused of kidnapping the the Italian girl?
6. How is Quentin's narrative similar to Benjy's?
7. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
8. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
9. How could the reader see Jason as a strong character?
10. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Quentin tells his father that he was the one who got Caddy pregnant? Do you think he is hiding something? Do you think there are any indicators in the book to suggest he is a homosexual?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Dilsey represents to the family? How do you think they would cope without her?
Essay Topic 3
What meaning do you think the Mississippi setting gives the novel? Choose another state and examine how different the novel would be if it was set there.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)