|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caroline see her youngest son's affliction?
2. Who does Quentin runaway with?
3. What can Benjy smell when he goes out into the cold?
4. What causes Benjy to moan?
5. What does Luster say to torment Benjy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the female Quentin's role in the novel.
2. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
3. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
4. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
5. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
6. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
7. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
8. Describe the two parents of the Compson family.
9. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
10. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Faulkner express Benjy and Quentin's obsessive behavior? Why do you think Jason is the only narrator not to have obsessive behavior? What meaning does it give to his character and the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think are the similirities between Caddy and her daughter Quentin? Why do you think Jason treats them so badly?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement; the female Quentin and Caddy's promiscuity is due to a lack of a proper father figure in their life.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)