|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caroline wish for the sake of her husband and children?
(a) That she knew how to cook
(b) That she had more money
(c) That she was a stronger children
(d) That she was not bedridden
2. Why does Caroline change Benjamin's name?
(a) She changes his name hide his real identity.
(b) She thinks it sounds better.
(c) The children tease him.
(d) She thinks it will cure him.
3. What has Luster lost at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) His shoe
(b) His pants
(c) His watch
(d) A quarter
4. Why does Benjy cry in the carriage?
(a) He has lost his shoe.
(b) The road is bumpy.
(c) Luster is driving the wrong way.
(d) He is wants to pee.
5. Who is Quentin's favorite sibling?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting in the swing in present time?
2. Who did Quentin have a fight with in a barn?
3. What does Luster say to torment Benjy?
4. Who does Benjy take letters to?
5. Which one of the Compson children is the only one who does not have a narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
2. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
3. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
4. What is Quentin's relationship with his sister Caddy?
5. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
6. Describe Caddy's role in the novel.
7. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
8. In what way can Benjy understand things better than most people?
9. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
10. Describe Quentin's role in the novel.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)