|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Benjamin's original name?
2. How old is Benjy on the day Faulkner recites his narrative?
3. For what reason does Quentin get into fights?
(a) To learn boxing
(b) To feel passion
(c) To defend his sister's honor
(d) To prove his masculinity
4. What can Benjy smell when he goes out into the cold?
(b) The horses
(d) The cold
5. In what American state does Faulkner set the novel?
(a) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maury get the money he uses to invest in business?
2. Who does Caddy name her daughter after?
3. Why does Caroline change Benjamin's name?
4. How does Caddy make Benjy cry?
5. What does Benjy clasp in his hand in the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
2. Why does Benjy's mother change his name from Maury to Benjamin?
3. Why do you think Benjy wants his sister back so much?
4. Why is Benjy's section so hard to understand?
5. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
6. Why do you think both Caddy and Quentin continuously search for love elsewhere?
7. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
8. Describe Jason Compton's role in the novel.
9. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
10. Describe Dilsey's role in the novel.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)