|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Caroline change Benjamin's name?
(a) The children tease him.
(b) She thinks it sounds better.
(c) She changes his name hide his real identity.
(d) She thinks it will cure him.
2. What is inside Benjy's bottle?
(a) A frog
(b) A spider
(d) Two flowers
3. Why does the store owner employ Jason?
(a) He brings in extra business.
(b) He feels sorry for his mother.
(c) He loves his niece.
(d) He is good company.
4. What was Benjamin's original name?
5. How is Luster related to Dilsey?
(a) He is her cousin.
(b) He is her brother.
(c) He is her grandson.
(d) He is her nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family's surname?
2. Why does Dilsey place a piece of wood between Luster and Benjy at night?
3. Why does Benjy cry in the carriage?
4. Which one of the Compson children is the only one who does not have a narrative?
5. What does Caroline wish for the sake of her husband and children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Uncle Maury's role in the novel.
2. What can the reader understand about Benjy?
3. Do you think Luster understands Benjy?
4. Why do you think Benjy does not describe physical appearance?
5. How does a tale of such hopelessness maintain such power?
6. What positive effect does Caddy have on Benjy's life?
7. How do you think outsiders see Benjamin?
8. What complaints does the female Quentin have about Benjy?
9. What does Benjy remember about his brother Quentin?
10. Describe Benjamin Compson's role in the novel.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)