|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maury get the money he uses to invest in business?
(a) He borrows it.
(b) He steals it.
(c) He cons it out of people.
(d) He pawns family heirlooms.
2. What does Benjy say Caddy smells like?
3. What color tie is Quentin's companion wearing?
4. What has Luster lost at the beginning of the first chapter?
(a) His shoe
(b) His watch
(c) His pants
(d) A quarter
5. Who does Benjy take letters to?
(a) Uncle Maury
(c) Mrs. Patterson
6. Why does Quentin commit suicide?
(a) He cannot accept his sister's shame.
(b) He fails his course.
(c) He cannot cope with his father's death.
(d) He cannot accept that he is a homosexual.
7. How does Benjy sense that something has changed about Caddy?
(a) She has stopped smelling of trees.
(b) She stops coming home from school.
(c) She spends all her time in the bathroom.
(d) She shouts at him.
8. Who is credited with looking after the children?
9. How does Caroline see her youngest son's affliction?
(a) As part of life
(b) As a blessing
(c) As God's will
(d) As a curse on the family
10. How many children do Jason and Caroline Compson have?
11. What does Benji have no understanding of?
(c) His mother
12. Why does Dilsey place a piece of wood between Luster and Benjy at night?
(a) So they do not fall through the centre of the bed.
(b) So Benji will not hurt Luster.
(c) So Luster can hit him.
(d) So they do not roll into each other.
13. How old is Benjy on the day Faulkner recites his narrative?
14. Who is Benjy's favorite sibling?
15. How many parts is the novel divided into?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Quentin runaway with?
2. What does Caddy do when she finds out she is pregnant?
3. Why does TP have to drive the carriage?
4. What is the name of Caddy's boyfriend?
5. What does Dilsey give Benjy to comfort him?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)