|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does David run into in his attempt to escape from the tiny village?
2. According to the person David runs into in his escape attempt, what has happened to Tskanay?
3. What does Katsuk tell David will happen if he goes back to sleep?
4. What does Katsuk do when David tells the woman his name?
5. Why does Tskanay try to seduce David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Raven, Katsuk's personal cartouche, is prevalent throughout the story. It represents Katsuk's power throughout. What do you think the appearance of the raven(s) means to David? Do you think the raven has something to do with David's reluctance to escape? Why or why not? Do you think the appearance of the ravens at the times they appear is coincidence, or do you think that Katsuk truly has power over them? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a large component of this novel just as it is in the Native American culture. Choose three examples of symbolism from the novel. Outline what they symbolize and their importance to the story.
Essay Topic 3
A close relationship develops between kidnapper and victim. By the end of the novel, they both think of the other as his "brother." Describe the development of this relationship from the beginning. Who fights it more? Why? Who is more invested at the end? Why?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)