|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Native American name of the woman David and Katsuk meet in the forest?
2. What about the man David wrote a paper about made David question him as a hero?
3. Whose supplies have Katsuk and David been using in Section 10?
4. What did Katsuk write a paper about when he was a college student?
5. What happens when Katsuk screams for Raven when arguing with Ish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katsuk has an odd relationship with his family. It appears that, at one time, the elder members of the clan had some authority over Katsuk from the way they treat him. It is also apparent, however, that they are in awe of him and fear him. Why do you think their attitudes are so disparate? Do you think their longing to believe in the old ways has anything to do with their confusion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Katsuk has a specific agenda. He hates the white man and feels he must punish them while at the same time appeasing the Native American gods. Why does Katsuk hate the white man? What does he feel he must do to fulfill his duty as a Native American? How does this plan include David?
Essay Topic 3
The antagonist of this novel is Charles Hobuhet, or Katsuk. His madness is triggered by a tragic event in his family and his pride in his Native American heritage. Outline Charles's decline into insanity and his devolution into Katsuk, including the triggering factor and specific examples of his devolution from the text.
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)