|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sophie believe her son might be saved?
2. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
3. When Sophie and Stingo leave for the beach what is Stingo's concern about Sophie?
4. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
5. What does Sophie say to Stingo's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Sophie and her boss that causes Nathan to scream at her?
2. What does Sophie tell Stingo in Chapter 9 about her time in Auschwitz?
3. Describe the day Sophie was arrested.
4. What does Sophie say about her father in Chapter 9 that conflicts with her statements concerning him earlier in the book?
5. Describe the memory Sophie has been circling around the entire book.
6. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
7. Sophie's attraction to Dr. Dürrfeld is a metaphor which also came out in her dream. Explain this statement.
8. Describe what happens between Sophie and Hoss when he receives a letter he wants her to translate.
9. Describe what first happens when Nathan returns to the boarding house in Chapter 14.
10. How did Sophie think of Hoss by the time he leaves the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie describes her actions with Hoss as though of an animal, but that she didn't care as she would have done anything to try to save her son. Do you think the Nazis saw their prisoners as animals? What do you think would be the advantage of the Nazis seeing people as less than human? Do you think this dehumanizing of captors is used often? Give an example of how and why this technique might be used by people who take advantage of others or perpetuate violent acts upon others.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think in Chapter 3, Stingo did a good job of dealing with writer's block? Why or why not? How would you have handled it?
Essay Topic 3
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,145 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)