|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sophie dream about on her last night in Hoss' household?
2. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
3. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
4. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
5. When Sophie and Nathan are leaving for a party, what news do they hear on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Sophie and her boss that causes Nathan to scream at her?
2. What is Lebensborn and how did it relate to Sophie?
3. What kind of literature is Stingo reading twenty years after meeting Sophie and Nathan and why is he reading it?
4. Describe the last night Stingo spent with Sophie.
5. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
6. Stingo, as the older narrator, recites some statistics about the Holocaust. Give a summary of them.
7. Explain the story about Dr. Walter Dürrfeld and Sophie.
8. Describe what happens between Sophie and Hoss when he receives a letter he wants her to translate.
9. Describe what first happens when Nathan returns to the boarding house in Chapter 14.
10. What did Sophie first tell Stingo about her son and how she tried to help him at the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Sophie's experiences in the concentration camp affected her life? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Farrell puts up with Stingo's behavior at work? Support your answer with evidence from the first chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think in Chapter 3, Stingo did a good job of dealing with writer's block? Why or why not? How would you have handled it?
This section contains 2,115 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)