|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 16, Stingo asserts one of his talents holds him in good stead on the train with Sophie. What is that talent?
2. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
3. When Bronek tells Sophie Höss is about to be transferred, why does she panic?
4. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
5. Sophie helped Hoss with his work beyond what he required of her. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the story about Dr. Walter Dürrfeld and Sophie.
2. Why is Stingo concerned about Sophie's drinking?
3. What kind of literature is Stingo reading twenty years after meeting Sophie and Nathan and why is he reading it?
4. Describe the memory Sophie has been circling around the entire book.
5. Write a short paragraph about why Nat Turner is famous and why Stingo tells Nathan about him.
6. What did Sophie first tell Stingo about her son and how she tried to help him at the camp?
7. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
8. Describe some of the trip Sophie took with Nathan to Connecticut.
9. Describe some of the differences between Sophie's stay at the Hoss's household and the way the rest of the camp prisoners lived.
10. What is Lebensborn and how did it relate to Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nathan's behavior, both when he is acting healthy and acting insane. Why do you think Stingo continues to hope that Nathan will get better?
Essay Topic 2
Given Nathan's abusive behavior towards Sophie, why do you think she stays with him? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,057 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)