|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stingo see Nathan?
2. Stingo falls asleep on the ride to Coney Island he has dreams. How does he feel when he awakens?
3. Why is Nathan screaming at Sophie in the bar?
4. What did Morris see the morning Stingo goes with them for a day out?
5. Where did Stingo learn his religious prejudices about Judaism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
2. Describe how Stingo finds out about his old girlfriend, Maria and how he feels about it.
3. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
4. How does Farrell feel about Stingo and what does he say to Stingo about his job and his life?
5. Why did the conversation with Nathan's friends on Coney Island fascinate Stingo?
6. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
7. Is Stingo tempted by his father's offer and why won't he take it?
8. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
9. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
10. Describe Stingo's feelings about his job and where he moved from to New York.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nathan's behavior, both when he is acting healthy and acting insane. Why do you think Stingo continues to hope that Nathan will get better?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sophie's experience in the concentration camp. Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)