|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stingo obtain employment when he moved to New York?
2. How does Stingo end up on his hot date with Leslie?
3. How does Nathan feel about Stingo being a writer?
4. Why is Nathan screaming at Sophie in the bar?
5. What does his father tell him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
2. Describe Stingo's feelings about his job and where he moved from to New York.
3. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
4. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
5. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
6. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
7. Describe Nathan's criticism of Stingo's southern origins. To what does he compare Stingo?
8. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
9. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
10. How does Farrell feel about Stingo and what does he say to Stingo about his job and his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Farrell represent to Stingo? What do you thinnk Stingo learned from Farrell that might make it a pivotal relationship in Stingo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Nazi program Lebensborn. Why do you think this program existed?
Essay Topic 3
Stingo seems to alternate between despair and elation in his relationship with both Sophie and Nathan. Describe his friendship with them in terms of his emotions.
This section contains 1,452 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)