|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Madame Bovary Nathan's favorite book?
2. With whom does Stingo have a date and how did he meet her?
3. What happened to Sophie's father and husband?
4. How does Stingo see Nathan?
5. What has inspired Stingo to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
2. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
3. How does Farrell feel about Stingo and what does he say to Stingo about his job and his life?
4. Describe Stingo's thoughts on Senator Theodore Gilmore Bilbo and why he was thinking of him.
5. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
6. What happens between Stingo and Sophie after she and Nathan fight?
7. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
8. What does he do about not knowing anyone in New York, being a young man interested in women? How is that stopped?
9. Describe Stingo's feelings about his job and where he moved from to New York.
10. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sophie describes her actions with Hoss as though of an animal, but that she didn't care as she would have done anything to try to save her son. Do you think the Nazis saw their prisoners as animals? What do you think would be the advantage of the Nazis seeing people as less than human? Do you think this dehumanizing of captors is used often? Give an example of how and why this technique might be used by people who take advantage of others or perpetuate violent acts upon others.
Essay Topic 2
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does Farrell represent to Stingo? What do you thinnk Stingo learned from Farrell that might make it a pivotal relationship in Stingo's life?
This section contains 1,904 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)