|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nathan and Sophie's friendship so important to Stingo?
2. What does Nathan think is wrong with Sophie?
3. What happened to Sophie's father and husband?
4. Why is Stingo waiting at the bar the night Sophie dresses in revealing clothes?
5. What's happening the first time Stingo sees Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
2. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
3. One night in the Maple Court Stingo and Sophie are waiting for Nathan. Sophie is dressed differently than usual. How is she dressed and why is she dressed that way?
4. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
5. Describe Nathan's criticism of Stingo's southern origins. To what does he compare Stingo?
6. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
7. Describe what Sophie says about her early days in Poland.
8. Why does Commandant Hoss say he had it as difficult as the prisoners?
9. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
10. Describe Stingo's first morning at the boarding house in relation to his writing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Sophie's experience in the concentration camp. Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Stingo was changed by watching Nathan and Sophie's love affair day in and day out?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nathan's attitude towards women. Describe Stingo's attitude towards women. How are the two similar? How do they differ?
This section contains 1,728 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)