|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the Yetta Zimmerman's boarding house?
2. What kind of drink do Leslie's parents serve Stingo?
3. How did Stingo's Jewish friends seem to him as a child?
4. When Stingo goes to get Sophie for their lunch picnic what happens?
5. Where did Stingo learn his religious prejudices about Judaism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
2. What does Stingo observe at the celebration that the three have after Stingo returns from Nathan's brother?
3. Describe the last night Stingo spent with Sophie.
4. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
5. Describe what Sophie says about her early days in Poland.
6. What happens between Stingo and Sophie after she and Nathan fight?
7. What is Lebensborn and how did it relate to Sophie?
8. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
9. Describe Stingo's feelings about his job and where he moved from to New York.
10. Describe what first happens when Nathan returns to the boarding house in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think in Chapter 3, Stingo did a good job of dealing with writer's block? Why or why not? How would you have handled it?
Essay Topic 2
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The human heart cannot grasp the sheer numbers behind a tragedy like the Twin Towers destruction or a worldwide catastrophe like the Holocaust. If we say thousands died in the terrorist act on the twin towers, or millions were killed in the Holocaust, the sheer size of those numbers prevents our understanding. Why do you think the human mind is unable to comprehend tragedy on a large scale? How did Stingo mourn the holocaust by mourning Nathan and Sophie?
This section contains 2,140 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)