|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sophie working in 1947, in America?
2. What does Stingo do on this first morning in the boarding house?
3. What happened to Sophie's father and husband?
4. What did Stingo receive from his dad after he lost his job?
5. Why does Stingo believe Sophie left out important details when telling Nathan about the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
2. Describe some of Stingo's thoughts about Nathan as they relax in the bar in Chapter 8.
3. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
4. Is Stingo tempted by his father's offer and why won't he take it?
5. Describe how Stingo finds out about his old girlfriend, Maria and how he feels about it.
6. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
7. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
8. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
9. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
10. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are living in Nazi Germany and have just been arrested and sent to a concentration camp. Describe how you feel, what you are seeing, and how you plan to get out of the camp alive.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think Stingo's sex drive affected his life? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)