|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stingo respond to Nathan's racism debate?
2. What does Farrell urge Stingo to do?
3. How does Stingo see Nathan?
4. How does Nathan feel about Stingo being a writer?
5. What does his father tell him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sophie think of Hoss by the time he leaves the camp?
2. Describe Stingo's interaction with his father during his father's trip to New York.
3. What does Sophie tell Nathan the first night they met about her background in the camp?
4. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
5. What happened when Stingo received a call from Nathan's brother?
6. Describe how Stingo reacts to finding his money gone.
7. Describe the day Sophie was arrested.
8. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
9. Stingo, as the older narrator, recites some statistics about the Holocaust. Give a summary of them.
10. Describe how Stingo finds out about his old girlfriend, Maria and how he feels about it.
Essay Topic 1
The human heart cannot grasp the sheer numbers behind a tragedy like the Twin Towers destruction or a worldwide catastrophe like the Holocaust. If we say thousands died in the terrorist act on the twin towers, or millions were killed in the Holocaust, the sheer size of those numbers prevents our understanding. Why do you think the human mind is unable to comprehend tragedy on a large scale? How did Stingo mourn the holocaust by mourning Nathan and Sophie?
Essay Topic 2
What does Farrell represent to Stingo? What do you thinnk Stingo learned from Farrell that might make it a pivotal relationship in Stingo's life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the SS Commandant of Auschwitz, Rudolf Franz Höss. Include his explanation of his actions and why he said he had such a difficult life.
This section contains 2,730 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)