|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what shape was Sophie when the prison was liberated?
2. What happened to Stingo's old girl friend, back home?
3. How does Farrell handle a life he hates?
4. Why is Stingo waiting at the bar the night Sophie dresses in revealing clothes?
5. Where did Stingo get his nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stingo's thoughts on Senator Theodore Gilmore Bilbo and why he was thinking of him.
2. What is Leslie's house and her parents like, according to Stingo and how do they differ than what he pictured?
3. How does Farrell feel about Stingo and what does he say to Stingo about his job and his life?
4. Describe Stingo getting ready for his date with Leslie.
5. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
6. What happened the day the day the Nazis came to the university? How did Sophie know?
7. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
8. One night in the Maple Court Stingo and Sophie are waiting for Nathan. Sophie is dressed differently than usual. How is she dressed and why is she dressed that way?
9. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
10. Describe Nathan's criticism of Stingo's southern origins. To what does he compare Stingo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Farrell puts up with Stingo's behavior at work? Support your answer with evidence from the first chapter.
Essay Topic 2
Sophie describes her actions with Hoss as though of an animal, but that she didn't care as she would have done anything to try to save her son. Do you think the Nazis saw their prisoners as animals? What do you think would be the advantage of the Nazis seeing people as less than human? Do you think this dehumanizing of captors is used often? Give an example of how and why this technique might be used by people who take advantage of others or perpetuate violent acts upon others.
Essay Topic 3
What does Farrell represent to Stingo? What do you thinnk Stingo learned from Farrell that might make it a pivotal relationship in Stingo's life?
This section contains 1,610 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)