|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Sophie sent to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp?
2. Why is Yetta yelling at Moishe Muskatblit?
3. What did Morris see the morning Stingo goes with them for a day out?
4. What kind of house is Stingo expecting Leslie's to be?
5. Why does Stingo describe Höss' background?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with Sophie and her boss that causes Nathan to scream at her?
2. What is Lebensborn and how did it relate to Sophie?
3. Why does Commandant Hoss say he had it as difficult as the prisoners?
4. Describe the memory Sophie has been circling around the entire book.
5. What does he do about not knowing anyone in New York, being a young man interested in women? How is that stopped?
6. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
7. Describe what happens between Sophie and Hoss when he receives a letter he wants her to translate.
8. Is Stingo tempted by his father's offer and why won't he take it?
9. Describe Nathan's and Sophies argument before Stingo, Sophie and Nathan went to Coney Island.
10. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Nazi program Lebensborn. Why do you think this program existed?
Essay Topic 2
Stingo seems to alternate between despair and elation in his relationship with both Sophie and Nathan. Describe his friendship with them in terms of his emotions.
Essay Topic 3
Out of all the people in the world, Sophie gets together with Nathan, a man who would abuse her and ultimately kill her, or convince her to suicide. Why do you think Sophie attracted someone like Nathan? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,135 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)