|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie say is the reason she believes God has turned His face from her?
2. In what shape was Sophie when the prison was liberated?
3. As he sits in his room trying to write, what does Stingo hear?
4. Why is Stingo waiting at the bar the night Sophie dresses in revealing clothes?
5. How do Sophie and Nathan dress after their fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stingo's interaction with his father during his father's trip to New York.
2. Write a short paragraph about why Nat Turner is famous and why Stingo tells Nathan about him.
3. What did Sophie tell about her son and the concentration camp?
4. What happens between Stingo and Sophie after she and Nathan fight?
5. Describe the memory Sophie has been circling around the entire book.
6. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
7. Why did the conversation with Nathan's friends on Coney Island fascinate Stingo?
8. One night in the Maple Court Stingo and Sophie are waiting for Nathan. Sophie is dressed differently than usual. How is she dressed and why is she dressed that way?
9. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
10. Describe the scene between Stingo and Leslie at her house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are living in Nazi Germany and have just been arrested and sent to a concentration camp. Describe how you feel, what you are seeing, and how you plan to get out of the camp alive.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sophie's experience in the concentration camp. Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Out of all the people in the world, Sophie gets together with Nathan, a man who would abuse her and ultimately kill her, or convince her to suicide. Why do you think Sophie attracted someone like Nathan? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,236 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)