|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stingo's father get the money?
2. Where are Leslie's parents going the night Stingo meets them?
3. Why does Stingo describe Höss' background?
4. In Chapter 3, Stingo does not yet know Sophie or Nathan well, but they wake him in the morning and ask him what?
5. What does Sophie say is the reason she believes God has turned His face from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Stingo tempted by his father's offer and why won't he take it?
2. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
3. Describe Nathan's and Sophies argument before Stingo, Sophie and Nathan went to Coney Island.
4. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
5. Describe Stingo's feelings about his job and where he moved from to New York.
6. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
7. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
8. Describe some of Stingo's thoughts about Nathan as they relax in the bar in Chapter 8.
9. Why does Commandant Hoss say he had it as difficult as the prisoners?
10. Describe Stingo's first morning at the boarding house in relation to his writing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The human heart cannot grasp the sheer numbers behind a tragedy like the Twin Towers destruction or a worldwide catastrophe like the Holocaust. If we say thousands died in the terrorist act on the twin towers, or millions were killed in the Holocaust, the sheer size of those numbers prevents our understanding. Why do you think the human mind is unable to comprehend tragedy on a large scale? How did Stingo mourn the holocaust by mourning Nathan and Sophie?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Sophie's experiences in the concentration camp affected her life? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,667 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)