|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stingo do on this first morning in the boarding house?
2. What does Farrell urge Stingo to do?
3. What does Nathan think is wrong with Sophie?
4. Where did Stingo learn his religious prejudices about Judaism?
5. How did Sophie feel Dr. Blackstock's treatments were doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stingo observe at the celebration that the three have after Stingo returns from Nathan's brother?
2. What does Sophie tell Stingo in Chapter 9 about her time in Auschwitz?
3. Describe Stingo's interaction with his father during his father's trip to New York.
4. Describe what Sophie says about her early days in Poland.
5. Describe Stingo getting ready for his date with Leslie.
6. Stingo, as the older narrator, recites some statistics about the Holocaust. Give a summary of them.
7. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
8. What happened the day the day the Nazis came to the university? How did Sophie know?
9. Describe the day Sophie was arrested.
10. How does the narrator Stingo write of Leslie Lapidus?
Essay Topic 1
Although belief in the basic evil of the Jewish people was part of the cause of the holocaust, it was not a phenomena that existed only in Nazi Germany. The Jewish people have been reviled and persecuted throughout most of their history. How do you think the general attitude of the world towards Jews helped produce Nazi Germany? Use examples from the book and your own research.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the SS Commandant of Auschwitz, Rudolf Franz Höss. Include his explanation of his actions and why he said he had such a difficult life.
Essay Topic 3
Given Nathan's abusive behavior towards Sophie, why do you think she stays with him? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
This section contains 2,081 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)