|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stingo obtain employment when he moved to New York?
2. What happened on the subway that made Sophie think about suicide?
3. What does Farrell urge Stingo to do?
4. What kind of apartment does Stingo have?
5. How did Sophie feel Dr. Blackstock's treatments were doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Commandant Hoss say he had it as difficult as the prisoners?
2. Describe Stingo's first morning at the boarding house in relation to his writing.
3. What does Sophie tell Nathan the first night they met about her background in the camp?
4. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
5. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
6. Describe Stingo getting ready for his date with Leslie.
7. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
8. How does the narrator Stingo write of Leslie Lapidus?
9. Why did the conversation with Nathan's friends on Coney Island fascinate Stingo?
10. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Farrell represent to Stingo? What do you thinnk Stingo learned from Farrell that might make it a pivotal relationship in Stingo's life?
Essay Topic 2
Out of all the people in the world, Sophie gets together with Nathan, a man who would abuse her and ultimately kill her, or convince her to suicide. Why do you think Sophie attracted someone like Nathan? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think in Chapter 3, Stingo did a good job of dealing with writer's block? Why or why not? How would you have handled it?
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)