|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things is keeping Stingo in New York?
2. How does Stingo feel about Sophie after he meets her?
3. What kind of house is Stingo expecting Leslie's to be?
4. Why is Stingo waiting at the bar the night Sophie dresses in revealing clothes?
5. When Stingo goes to get Sophie for their lunch picnic what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nathan's criticism of Stingo's southern origins. To what does he compare Stingo?
2. Describe Stingo's thoughts on Senator Theodore Gilmore Bilbo and why he was thinking of him.
3. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
4. Describe Nathan's and Sophies argument before Stingo, Sophie and Nathan went to Coney Island.
5. Describe some of Stingo's thoughts about Nathan as they relax in the bar in Chapter 8.
6. Describe Sophie's time in Sweden after she was liberated from the concentration camp.
7. How does Farrell feel about Stingo and what does he say to Stingo about his job and his life?
8. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
9. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
10. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The human heart cannot grasp the sheer numbers behind a tragedy like the Twin Towers destruction or a worldwide catastrophe like the Holocaust. If we say thousands died in the terrorist act on the twin towers, or millions were killed in the Holocaust, the sheer size of those numbers prevents our understanding. Why do you think the human mind is unable to comprehend tragedy on a large scale? How did Stingo mourn the holocaust by mourning Nathan and Sophie?
Essay Topic 2
What does Farrell represent to Stingo? What do you thinnk Stingo learned from Farrell that might make it a pivotal relationship in Stingo's life?
Essay Topic 3
Out of all the people in the world, Sophie gets together with Nathan, a man who would abuse her and ultimately kill her, or convince her to suicide. Why do you think Sophie attracted someone like Nathan? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,929 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)