|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Stingo does not yet know Sophie or Nathan well, but they wake him in the morning and ask him what?
2. From where had Sophie been released right before she met Nathan?
3. What book is Stingo reading the day he has his date with Leslie?
4. Who did she meet in the library after she fainted?
5. What kind of apartment does Stingo have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
2. Describe what Sophie says about her early days in Poland.
3. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
4. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
5. Describe Stingo's feelings about his job and where he moved from to New York.
6. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
7. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
8. Describe how Stingo finds out about his old girlfriend, Maria and how he feels about it.
9. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
10. Describe the scene between Stingo and Leslie at her house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although belief in the basic evil of the Jewish people was part of the cause of the holocaust, it was not a phenomena that existed only in Nazi Germany. The Jewish people have been reviled and persecuted throughout most of their history. How do you think the general attitude of the world towards Jews helped produce Nazi Germany? Use examples from the book and your own research.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Sophie's experience in the concentration camp. Include examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are living in Nazi Germany and have just been arrested and sent to a concentration camp. Describe how you feel, what you are seeing, and how you plan to get out of the camp alive.
This section contains 1,694 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)