|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Stingo, Nathan and Sophie hang out to escape the summer heat?
2. What stuns Stingo about the conversation with Nathan and Nathan's friends on Coney Island?
3. Where did Sophie see Hoss's picture one day?
4. What type of role has Stingo acquired in Sophie's life?
5. From where had Sophie been released right before she met Nathan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
2. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
3. What is Leslie's house and her parents like, according to Stingo and how do they differ than what he pictured?
4. Describe Sophie's time in Sweden after she was liberated from the concentration camp.
5. Is Stingo tempted by his father's offer and why won't he take it?
6. What does he do about not knowing anyone in New York, being a young man interested in women? How is that stopped?
7. Describe Nathan's and Sophies argument before Stingo, Sophie and Nathan went to Coney Island.
8. One night in the Maple Court Stingo and Sophie are waiting for Nathan. Sophie is dressed differently than usual. How is she dressed and why is she dressed that way?
9. What does Sophie tell Nathan the first night they met about her background in the camp?
10. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Nathan's behavior, both when he is acting healthy and acting insane. Why do you think Stingo continues to hope that Nathan will get better?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie describes her actions with Hoss as though of an animal, but that she didn't care as she would have done anything to try to save her son. Do you think the Nazis saw their prisoners as animals? What do you think would be the advantage of the Nazis seeing people as less than human? Do you think this dehumanizing of captors is used often? Give an example of how and why this technique might be used by people who take advantage of others or perpetuate violent acts upon others.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think in Chapter 3, Stingo did a good job of dealing with writer's block? Why or why not? How would you have handled it?
This section contains 1,610 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)