|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has inspired Stingo to write?
2. How do Sophie and Nathan dress after their fight?
3. How did Nathan view Stingo as far as Sophie went?
4. What does Stingo's father suggest to him?
5. How does Stingo's first novel open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
2. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
3. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
4. Why did the conversation with Nathan's friends on Coney Island fascinate Stingo?
5. Why does Commandant Hoss say he had it as difficult as the prisoners?
6. Describe Sophie's time in Sweden after she was liberated from the concentration camp.
7. Describe Stingo's first morning at the boarding house in relation to his writing.
8. Describe Nathan's and Sophies argument before Stingo, Sophie and Nathan went to Coney Island.
9. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
10. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stingo seems to alternate between despair and elation in his relationship with both Sophie and Nathan. Describe his friendship with them in terms of his emotions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Nazi program Lebensborn. Why do you think this program existed?
Essay Topic 3
Stingo said no people, including Germans, should be condemned as a group. What do you think he meant by this statement? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,552 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)