|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Sophie's father and husband taken?
2. What happened to Sophie's father and husband?
3. How does Stingo feel about his old girlfriend's death?
4. What does Stingo begin reading at work?
5. To what later comedian does the older narrator compare Nathan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the day the day the Nazis came to the university? How did Sophie know?
2. Describe Sophie's time in Sweden after she was liberated from the concentration camp.
3. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
4. Describe Stingo's first morning at the boarding house in relation to his writing.
5. What is Leslie's house and her parents like, according to Stingo and how do they differ than what he pictured?
6. Describe Stingo getting ready for his date with Leslie.
7. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
8. What happens between Stingo and Sophie after she and Nathan fight?
9. What does Sophie tell Nathan the first night they met about her background in the camp?
10. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Nazi program Lebensborn. Why do you think this program existed?
Essay Topic 2
Stingo seems to alternate between despair and elation in his relationship with both Sophie and Nathan. Describe his friendship with them in terms of his emotions.
Essay Topic 3
Although belief in the basic evil of the Jewish people was part of the cause of the holocaust, it was not a phenomena that existed only in Nazi Germany. The Jewish people have been reviled and persecuted throughout most of their history. How do you think the general attitude of the world towards Jews helped produce Nazi Germany? Use examples from the book and your own research.
This section contains 1,585 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)