|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sophie feel about herself?
(a) that she is filled with badness
(b) that she's ugly
(c) that she is favored by God
(d) that she's too smart for Stingo
2. What does Sophie say to his marriage proposal?
(a) she would never marry him
(b) she'd love to marry him
(c) nothing, he never asked her
(d) she's not ready for that
3. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way to research slavery
(b) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
(c) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
(d) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
4. When Sophie was working in the Hoss's household, where did she sleep?
(a) in the backyard
(b) in the basement
(c) in the washroom
(d) in the attic
5. Sophie helped Hoss with his work beyond what he required of her. Why?
(a) she fell in love with him
(b) she wanted him to trust her so she could kill him
(c) she was trying to get him to see her as a person
(d) she felt sorry for him
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stingo pretend to be at the motel with Sophie?
2. What did Jozef do in Poland?
3. How were the children at Auschwitz in the last days of the camp?
4. What does Nathan rave about in the motel in Connecticut?
5. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the memory Sophie has been circling around the entire book.
2. How did Sophie think of Hoss by the time he leaves the camp?
3. What happened with Sophie and her boss that causes Nathan to scream at her?
4. Write a short paragraph about why Nat Turner is famous and why Stingo tells Nathan about him.
5. Describe Stingo's interaction with his father during his father's trip to New York.
6. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
7. Describe some of the differences between Sophie's stay at the Hoss's household and the way the rest of the camp prisoners lived.
8. Describe what first happens when Nathan returns to the boarding house in Chapter 14.
9. Stingo, as the older narrator, recites some statistics about the Holocaust. Give a summary of them.
10. Describe the day Sophie was arrested.
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)