|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nathan rave about in the motel in Connecticut?
(a) that Sophie is a Nazi
(b) that he and Sophie must die
(c) that Germany should be destroyed completely
(d) that the Jews are treated unfairly
2. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
(a) he'll never make money as a writer
(b) that he will be a famous author someday
(c) he should move back home and be a farmer
(d) he should be a doctor
3. What does Sophie say to Stingo when she tells him about begging Hoss on her knees?
(a) she would have slept with him the rest of her life to save her son
(b) she would have killed herself to save her son
(c) that prisoners were reduced to behaving like animals
(d) how she thought it would work
4. What does Stingo tell Sophie when he does poorly with sex?
(a) he's shy
(b) he is a virgin
(c) he's so in love with her he couldn't wait
(d) he'll do better the next time
5. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) helps her escape
(b) protects her from other prisoners
(c) brings her food each day
(d) gives her soap
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie do when Nathan returns after being gone so long?
2. When Sophie was working in the Hoss's household, where did she sleep?
3. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
4. Who does Sophie dream about on her last night in Hoss' household?
5. Who is Irma?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sophie think of Hoss by the time he leaves the camp?
2. Describe what Stingo found when he followed Sophie back to New York and what happened after that.
3. Describe the day Sophie was arrested.
4. What does Sophie say about her father in Chapter 9 that conflicts with her statements concerning him earlier in the book?
5. How does Stingo feel about fiction writers using the Holocaust as part of works of fiction? Why does he believe it is all right if he does that?
6. What did Sophie first tell Stingo about her son and how she tried to help him at the camp?
7. Write a short paragraph about why Nat Turner is famous and why Stingo tells Nathan about him.
8. What does Sophie tell Stingo in Chapter 9 about her time in Auschwitz?
9. What kind of literature is Stingo reading twenty years after meeting Sophie and Nathan and why is he reading it?
10. Describe some of the trip Sophie took with Nathan to Connecticut.
This section contains 2,304 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)