|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Sophie's father and husband?
(a) they toiled in a munitions factory
(b) they were held prisoner for the entire war
(c) they escaped and went to America
(d) they were gunned down
2. What color is the Yetta Zimmerman's boarding house?
(c) bright yellow
(d) glaring pink
3. After the sounds in question # 19 stop, what does Stingo hear?
(a) a man's dominant yells, and feminine, submissive murmurs
(b) a dog barking constantly
(c) banging on his door
(d) screaming of kids outside
4. Where did Stingo's father get the money?
(a) from a robbery
(b) part of a severance package
(c) an inheritance
(d) from Stingo's brother
5. What kind of announcement does Nathan plan to make the night they meet in the bar?
(a) that he is mentally ill
(b) that he is moving to Tennessee
(c) about a big scientific breakthrough
(d) that he has changed jobs
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stingo watch from his apartment?
2. Where were Sophie's father and husband taken?
3. What does Stingo begin reading at work?
4. How does Farrell handle a life he hates?
5. What did Morris see the morning Stingo goes with them for a day out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Sophie immediately following her molestation on the subway?
2. What does Stingo think about Sophie's assertion that they will all be good friends?
3. What does he do about not knowing anyone in New York, being a young man interested in women? How is that stopped?
4. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
5. Describe Stingo's first morning at the boarding house in relation to his writing.
6. What happens in the bar when Nathan shows up the night Sophie is dressed for Nathan's big announcement?
7. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
8. Describe the three friends walking the street on the way to Coney Island and how Stingo feels about it.
9. When Stingo sees Yetta yelling at Moishe what goes through his mind about Jews?
10. Is Stingo tempted by his father's offer and why won't he take it?
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)