|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened on the subway that made Sophie think about suicide?
(a) she was robbed
(b) she was molested
(c) she was screamed at
(d) she dreamt of her husband
2. Where is Sophie working in 1947, in America?
(a) in a bank
(b) in a five and ten store
(c) in a drug store
(d) in a chiropractic office
3. What has inspired Stingo to write?
(a) hearing Nathan and Sophie
(b) Maria Hunt's suicide
(c) watching Sophie
(d) living in New York city
4. As he sits in his room trying to write, what does Stingo hear?
(a) a fire engine coming down the street
(b) the unmistakable sounds of sex in the apartment above him
(c) loud music from next door
(d) air raid sirens
5. When did the Nazi soldiers enter Cracow?
(a) May, 1939
(b) Winter of 1940
(c) September, 1939
(d) Spring of 1940
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stingo's goal in life?
2. What does Stingo do on this first morning in the boarding house?
3. What did Stingo receive from his dad after he lost his job?
4. Who did she meet in the library after she fainted?
5. What does Stingo wonder about the the violence he has witnessed between Nathan and Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. One night in the Maple Court Stingo and Sophie are waiting for Nathan. Sophie is dressed differently than usual. How is she dressed and why is she dressed that way?
2. Describe how Stingo finds out about his old girlfriend, Maria and how he feels about it.
3. Describe the conversation Stingo and Sophie have in the park when they go for lunch in Chapter 6.
4. What types of behavior did Stingo indulge in that his new boss at McGraw-Hill hated?
5. What does Nathan do when he returns to Sophie's after meeting at the library.
6. Describe some of Stingo's thoughts about Nathan as they relax in the bar in Chapter 8.
7. Tell the story of how Stingo's father got the money he sent.
8. Why did the conversation with Nathan's friends on Coney Island fascinate Stingo?
9. What happens between Stingo and Sophie after she and Nathan fight?
10. Why does Stingo's father write him about an inheritance and what does he say?
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)