|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Stingo interested in writing about Sophie?
(a) he thought it a fitting memorial
(b) she was a victim, but that she had also been an accessory
(c) he was still in love with her
(d) he wanted to prove Sophie's worth to Nathan
2. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
(a) he's trying to understand the Jewish religion
(b) he's trying to understand southern racism
(c) he wants to write Sophie and Nathan's story
(d) he likes to irritate his father
3. What does Stingo pretend to be at the motel with Sophie?
(a) Sophie's brother
(b) a soldier
(c) a reverend
(d) a doctor
4. What does Sophie tell Hoss about her being at the camp?
(a) that her husband was German and she shouldn't be there
(b) that she was German and she shouldn't be there
(c) that she was a spy for the SS
(d) she was sent there by mistake
5. How did Dürrfeld feel about Sophie?
(a) he was attracted to her
(b) he was indifferent to her
(c) he hated her
(d) he thought her childish
6. What does Sophie say to Stingo when she tells him about begging Hoss on her knees?
(a) she would have slept with him the rest of her life to save her son
(b) how she thought it would work
(c) that prisoners were reduced to behaving like animals
(d) she would have killed herself to save her son
7. Who calls Stingo and asks to meet about Nathan?
(a) Larry, Nathan's brother
(b) Dr. Gover, a doctor of Nathan's
(c) Nathan's mother
(d) Henry, Nathan's father
8. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) gives her soap
(b) helps her escape
(c) brings her food each day
(d) protects her from other prisoners
9. When did Sophie arrive at Auschwitz ?
(b) April Fool's Day
(c) Christmas Day
10. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way to research slavery
(b) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
(c) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
(d) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
11. What does Sophie say to his marriage proposal?
(a) she's not ready for that
(b) nothing, he never asked her
(c) she would never marry him
(d) she'd love to marry him
12. How does Hoss repond to Sophie's information about her father?
(a) he screams at her
(b) he sends her to be whipped
(c) he ignores it, worried only about his problems
(d) he rapes her
13. What does Sophie say Wanda kept telling everyone about the Nazis?
(a) none of them were safe while the Nazis were in power
(b) the Nazis were going to win the war
(c) the Nazis weren't so bad
(d) the Nazis were good for Germany and Poland
14. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
(a) a publisher wants his book
(b) Nathan has attacked Sophie
(c) his father is sick
(d) Sophie has died
15. Why did Sophie believe her son might be saved?
(a) Hoss told her he'd adopt him
(b) she saw a picture in the newspaper that looked like him
(c) his father came to get him
(d) Jan was no longer in the Children's Camp
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie say to Stingo's marriage proposal?
2. What was Stingo doing during the time in which Sophie was sent to the camp?
3. Where does Stingo go for ten days after the meeting in question #162?
4. Who is Professor Biegański?
5. What does Stingo find out about Nathan?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)