|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie say to Stingo when she tells him about begging Hoss on her knees?
(a) she would have killed herself to save her son
(b) that prisoners were reduced to behaving like animals
(c) she would have slept with him the rest of her life to save her son
(d) how she thought it would work
2. What did Hoss promise her?
(a) she would be released
(b) she would be reunited with her son and go with him
(c) she would go with him
(d) she would see her son
3. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) helps her escape
(b) protects her from other prisoners
(c) gives her soap
(d) brings her food each day
4. Why does Sophie wake Stingo early in the morning at the hotel?
(a) to make love
(b) so he could take her back
(c) to say yes to marriage
(d) to go get her a drink
5. Why is Stingo interested in writing about Sophie?
(a) she was a victim, but that she had also been an accessory
(b) he was still in love with her
(c) he wanted to prove Sophie's worth to Nathan
(d) he thought it a fitting memorial
6. How were the children at Auschwitz in the last days of the camp?
(a) froze to death
(b) gas chamber
7. Who is Irma?
(a) a bad German at Auschwitz
(b) the hotel maid
(c) a friend of Sophie's at Auschwitz
(d) the owner of Monty's
8. What kind of musical instrument did Sophie's daughter play?
(a) a tuba
(b) a flute
(c) a violin
(d) the piano
9. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
(a) his daugther was killed by a mugger
(b) his son died
(c) his wife was killed
(d) he lost his wife in Germany
10. How much money did Nathan give Stingo?
(a) two hundred dollars
(b) one hundred dollars
(c) fifty dollars
(d) a thousand dollars
11. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
12. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
(a) her knowledge of Spainish
(b) her knowledge of English
(c) her ability to take German shorthand
(d) her knowledge of Europe
13. How did Wanda feel about Sophie being transferred to Hoss's office?
(a) she was angry
(b) she was jealous
(c) she thought it an opportunity
(d) she was indifferent
14. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
(a) he wants to write Sophie and Nathan's story
(b) he likes to irritate his father
(c) he's trying to understand the Jewish religion
(d) he's trying to understand southern racism
15. Why was Sophie arrested?
(a) being a member of the resistance
(b) helping Jews
(c) smuggling a contraband ham
(d) smuggling cigarettes
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the SS officer say Jews were allowed to live at the camp?
2. What does the doctor at Auschwitz tell Sophie about her children?
3. What does Sophhie beg Hoss to do?
4. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
5. What does Stingo decide about his life during his visit with his father?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)