|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jozef do in Poland?
(a) gather intelligence for the Nazis
(b) kill people who turned in Jews
(c) nothing, he lived in Germany
(d) teach piano
2. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
(a) he should be a doctor
(b) that he will be a famous author someday
(c) he'll never make money as a writer
(d) he should move back home and be a farmer
3. What does Sophie say to his marriage proposal?
(a) she'd love to marry him
(b) nothing, he never asked her
(c) she's not ready for that
(d) she would never marry him
4. How did Nathan say the thief who took Stingo's money got into Stingo's room?
(a) forced the window
(b) came through the attic access
(c) used a spare key on the door
(d) Stingo must have left his door unlocked
5. What does Sophie say Wanda kept telling everyone about the Nazis?
(a) the Nazis were good for Germany and Poland
(b) none of them were safe while the Nazis were in power
(c) the Nazis were going to win the war
(d) the Nazis weren't so bad
6. Why does Sophie wake Stingo early in the morning at the hotel?
(a) to go get her a drink
(b) to say yes to marriage
(c) so he could take her back
(d) to make love
7. Who is Irma?
(a) a friend of Sophie's at Auschwitz
(b) a bad German at Auschwitz
(c) the hotel maid
(d) the owner of Monty's
8. What does Sophie say to Stingo when she tells him about begging Hoss on her knees?
(a) she would have killed herself to save her son
(b) she would have slept with him the rest of her life to save her son
(c) that prisoners were reduced to behaving like animals
(d) how she thought it would work
9. What were the two types of concentration camps in Poland?
(a) Polish and Russian
(b) Jewish and other
(c) the death camp and the slave labor camp
(d) male and female
10. What does Sophie tell Hoss about her being at the camp?
(a) that she was German and she shouldn't be there
(b) that her husband was German and she shouldn't be there
(c) that she was a spy for the SS
(d) she was sent there by mistake
11. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
(a) he dislikes New York
(b) he is amazed at the buildings
(c) he is indifferent to it
(d) he loves the city
12. What does Stingo decide about his life during his visit with his father?
(a) that his father pressures him too much
(b) that he misses his mother
(c) that he will never return home
(d) that he will, indeed, move back home
13. What was the name of the pamphlet Sophie's father wrote about Poland?
(a) Poland's Jewish Problem: Does National Socialism Have the Answer
(b) Poland: A Land Ripe and Ready for Hitler
(c) Poland: The People and Country Compared to Germany
(d) Poland: How To Resist The Nazis
14. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
15. Why was Sophie arrested?
(a) smuggling cigarettes
(b) being a member of the resistance
(c) smuggling a contraband ham
(d) helping Jews
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie say is the reason Nathan treats her and Stingo so poorly?
2. What does Stingo think about Sophie's position in the camp working for Hoss?
3. When Sophie and Nathan are leaving for a party, what news do they hear on the radio?
4. What effect did Sophie's father's pamphlet have on his life?
5. How long did the SS officer say Jews were allowed to live at the camp?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)