|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the children at Auschwitz in the last days of the camp?
(b) gas chamber
(c) froze to death
2. How did Dürrfeld feel about Sophie?
(a) he was indifferent to her
(b) he was attracted to her
(c) he hated her
(d) he thought her childish
3. What was the name of the pamphlet Sophie's father wrote about Poland?
(a) Poland: The People and Country Compared to Germany
(b) Poland: A Land Ripe and Ready for Hitler
(c) Poland's Jewish Problem: Does National Socialism Have the Answer
(d) Poland: How To Resist The Nazis
4. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
(a) Sophie has died
(b) Nathan has attacked Sophie
(c) his father is sick
(d) a publisher wants his book
5. Where is Stingo at the end of the book?
(a) in Germany
(b) on a sunny beach
(c) in Virginia
(d) at home with his father
6. What does Nathan say he has found?
(a) the cure for cancer
(b) a measles vaccination
(c) a vaccine against polio
(d) the DNA molecue
7. How long did the SS officer say Jews were allowed to live at the camp?
(a) two weeks
(b) two years
(c) three months
(d) three days
8. What does Sophie say to his marriage proposal?
(a) nothing, he never asked her
(b) she would never marry him
(c) she'd love to marry him
(d) she's not ready for that
9. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
10. At the camp, who was Bronek?
(a) a prison guard
(b) Hoss' son
(c) the housekeeper at Hoss'
(d) a member of the resistance group
11. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
(a) out of Hoss's daughter's room
(b) from the kitchen
(c) from Hoss's office
(d) from the housekeeper's office
12. Who is Irma?
(a) a friend of Sophie's at Auschwitz
(b) the hotel maid
(c) a bad German at Auschwitz
(d) the owner of Monty's
13. Stingo falls asleep on the beach. What does Sophie do?
(a) walks the beach
(b) finishes the bottle of whiskey
(c) swims far out to drown
(d) takes a bus home
14. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
(a) his daugther was killed by a mugger
(b) he lost his wife in Germany
(c) his wife was killed
(d) his son died
15. At the beginning of Chapter 16, Stingo asserts one of his talents holds him in good stead on the train with Sophie. What is that talent?
(a) his ability to talk
(b) his fighting ability
(c) his singing
(d) his writing
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the two types of concentration camps in Poland?
2. What does Sophie say to Stingo's marriage proposal?
3. Where was Sophie's son sent upon arrival at the camp?
4. What music did Sophie often hear while working for Hoss?
5. What does Stingo promise to buy Sophie?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)