|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stingo think is the possible reason he is attracted to Sophie?
(a) because she has traveled so much
(b) because she has a cute accent
(c) because she's a blond
(d) because he he cannot have her
2. How were the children at Auschwitz in the last days of the camp?
(b) froze to death
(c) gas chamber
3. What does Sophie say about Nathan when Stingo and her are at Jones beach?
(a) she misses him
(b) she is tired of making excuses for Nathan
(c) she thinks he's wonderful
(d) she thinks he should come home
4. What kind of musical instrument did Sophie's daughter play?
(a) the piano
(b) a violin
(c) a tuba
(d) a flute
5. Who does Wanda tell Sophie to look for in Hoss's household?
6. When Sophie and Stingo leave for the beach what is Stingo's concern about Sophie?
(a) she thinks she should die
(b) she hasn't eaten breakfast
(c) she's drinking too much
(d) she still pines for Nathan
7. When on the subway to meet his father, what is on Stingo's mind?
(a) how to tell his father no
(b) the next chapter of his book
(c) his old high school
(d) mourning over the loss of Nathan and Sophie
8. What does Sophhie beg Hoss to do?
(a) to take her with him
(b) to have an affair with her
(c) to let her go home
(d) to release her son, Jan
9. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
(a) he is amazed at the buildings
(b) he is indifferent to it
(c) he dislikes New York
(d) he loves the city
10. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
(a) he's trying to understand the Jewish religion
(b) he wants to write Sophie and Nathan's story
(c) he likes to irritate his father
(d) he's trying to understand southern racism
11. Who does Sophie dream about on her last night in Hoss' household?
(a) her son
(c) her husband
(d) Professor Biegański
12. What does Stingo worry about as a potential suitor to Sophie?
(a) that he's not old enough
(b) that he's from the south
(c) worries about how to support her
(d) that he's not handsome
13. Where was Sophie's son sent upon arrival at the camp?
(a) back to Warsaw
(b) the Children's Camp
(c) to Hoss's household
(d) to Germany
14. How does Sophie feel about herself?
(a) that she's ugly
(b) that she is favored by God
(c) that she is filled with badness
(d) that she's too smart for Stingo
15. Where do Sophie and Stingo decide to go when they leave New York?
(a) to Oklahoma
(b) to Maine
(c) to Virginia
(d) to Florida
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sophie leave the party and take a taxi home?
2. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
3. When Sophie and Nathan are leaving for a party, what news do they hear on the radio?
4. Why is Nathan thinking about visiting the south?
5. Why did Sophie believe her son might be saved?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)