|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stingo asked to do when he meets with the person from question #162?
(a) bring him home
(b) call the police
(d) keep a watch on him
2. What does Stingo worry about as a potential suitor to Sophie?
(a) that he's not old enough
(b) that he's not handsome
(c) worries about how to support her
(d) that he's from the south
3. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
4. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
(a) he is amazed at the buildings
(b) he loves the city
(c) he dislikes New York
(d) he is indifferent to it
5. Why did Sophie leave the party and take a taxi home?
(a) they are talking about their children
(b) they were talking about concentration camps
(c) the talk of Hitler
(d) the talk of the Polish people turning against the Jews
6. Where do Sophie and Stingo decide to go when they leave New York?
(a) to Oklahoma
(b) to Virginia
(c) to Florida
(d) to Maine
7. Who assaults Sophie while living in the Hoss household?
(a) Wilhelmine, the evil German maid
(b) no one
(c) Hoss, the evil commandant
(d) Bronek, the evil guard
8. Why is Stingo interested in writing about Sophie?
(a) he wanted to prove Sophie's worth to Nathan
(b) he thought it a fitting memorial
(c) he was still in love with her
(d) she was a victim, but that she had also been an accessory
9. At the beginning of Chapter 16, Stingo asserts one of his talents holds him in good stead on the train with Sophie. What is that talent?
(a) his ability to talk
(b) his fighting ability
(c) his singing
(d) his writing
10. In Chapter 10, Hoss comes into the office in a fury and demands Sophie do what, immediately?
(a) she translate a letter written in Polish
(b) she sleep with his superior office
(c) she get rid of his headache
(d) she sleep with him
11. When did Sophie arrive at Auschwitz ?
(a) Christmas Day
(b) April Fool's Day
12. Why was Sophie arrested?
(a) smuggling cigarettes
(b) helping Jews
(c) smuggling a contraband ham
(d) being a member of the resistance
13. What does Sophie do when Nathan returns after being gone so long?
(a) she takes him back
(b) she takes him to the hospital
(c) she kicks him out
(d) she takes him to his brother's
14. What does Nathan rave about in the motel in Connecticut?
(a) that he and Sophie must die
(b) that Sophie is a Nazi
(c) that the Jews are treated unfairly
(d) that Germany should be destroyed completely
15. Where is Stingo at the end of the book?
(a) in Germany
(b) at home with his father
(c) on a sunny beach
(d) in Virginia
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stingo promise to buy Sophie?
2. What does Stingo decide about his life during his visit with his father?
3. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
4. Where does Stingo go for ten days after the meeting in question #162?
5. Why does Sophie wake Stingo early in the morning at the hotel?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)