|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the SS officer say Jews were allowed to live at the camp?
(a) two years
(b) three days
(c) three months
(d) two weeks
2. Who assaults Sophie while living in the Hoss household?
(a) Hoss, the evil commandant
(b) Bronek, the evil guard
(c) no one
(d) Wilhelmine, the evil German maid
3. Why does Sophie give Hoss pills?
(a) she's trying to poison him
(b) she's trying to get him high
(c) he is hit with a migraine
(d) he has asked her to keep them hidden for him
4. Who was Jozef ?
(a) a guard at the camp
(b) Sophie's father
(c) Sophie's lover in Poland
(d) Sophie's son
5. When Bronek tells Sophie Höss is about to be transferred, why does she panic?
(a) it would stop her plan for her son
(b) it would mean she'd not see Bronek again
(c) it would mean she's have to go into the regular camp
(d) she would be left at the mercy of the housekeeper
6. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
(a) from the kitchen
(b) out of Hoss's daughter's room
(c) from the housekeeper's office
(d) from Hoss's office
7. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
(a) he's trying to understand the Jewish religion
(b) he wants to write Sophie and Nathan's story
(c) he likes to irritate his father
(d) he's trying to understand southern racism
8. Why did Sophie leave the party and take a taxi home?
(a) the talk of the Polish people turning against the Jews
(b) they are talking about their children
(c) the talk of Hitler
(d) they were talking about concentration camps
9. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) helps her escape
(b) protects her from other prisoners
(c) brings her food each day
(d) gives her soap
10. How did Sophie's husband feel about her father?
(a) he was nothing more than a disciple of her father's
(b) he tried to kill him several times
(c) he fought with him constantly
(d) he thought her father was insane
11. How did Dürrfeld feel about Sophie?
(a) he was indifferent to her
(b) he hated her
(c) he was attracted to her
(d) he thought her childish
12. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
(b) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
(c) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
(d) as a way to research slavery
13. What does the doctor at Auschwitz tell Sophie about her children?
(a) they are sick children
(b) she may keep one of them
(c) they are beautiful
(d) they must go to Germany
14. Hoss called Sophie to a window to show her what?
(a) his daughters at play
(b) his wife serving a picnic
(c) his prized Arabian stallion
(d) her son
15. What does Sophie say to Stingo's marriage proposal?
(a) that they live together first
(c) are you crazy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Irma?
2. Why is Stingo interested in writing about Sophie?
3. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
4. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
5. Where does Stingo go for ten days after the meeting in question #162?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)