|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
(a) her knowledge of Spainish
(b) her knowledge of Europe
(c) her ability to take German shorthand
(d) her knowledge of English
2. In Chapter 10, Hoss comes into the office in a fury and demands Sophie do what, immediately?
(a) she sleep with him
(b) she sleep with his superior office
(c) she translate a letter written in Polish
(d) she get rid of his headache
3. What does Nathan rave about in the motel in Connecticut?
(a) that the Jews are treated unfairly
(b) that Germany should be destroyed completely
(c) that he and Sophie must die
(d) that Sophie is a Nazi
4. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
(a) Nathan has attacked Sophie
(b) Sophie has died
(c) a publisher wants his book
(d) his father is sick
5. Who is Professor Biegański?
(a) Sophie's husband
(b) Sophie's lover in Poland
(c) a friend of Nathan's
(d) Sophie's father
6. What does Stingo worry about as a potential suitor to Sophie?
(a) that he's not handsome
(b) that he's not old enough
(c) that he's from the south
(d) worries about how to support her
7. What kind of musical instrument did Sophie's daughter play?
(a) a tuba
(b) a violin
(c) a flute
(d) the piano
8. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
(a) from the kitchen
(b) from Hoss's office
(c) out of Hoss's daughter's room
(d) from the housekeeper's office
9. Who assaults Sophie while living in the Hoss household?
(a) Wilhelmine, the evil German maid
(b) Bronek, the evil guard
(c) no one
(d) Hoss, the evil commandant
10. What does Sophhie beg Hoss to do?
(a) to release her son, Jan
(b) to let her go home
(c) to take her with him
(d) to have an affair with her
11. What does the doctor at Auschwitz tell Sophie about her children?
(a) she may keep one of them
(b) they are beautiful
(c) they must go to Germany
(d) they are sick children
12. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way to research slavery
(b) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
(c) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
(d) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
13. What effect did Sophie's father's pamphlet have on his life?
(a) it made Sophie admire him even more
(b) none, he was still killed by the Nazis
(c) it brought him into Hitler's inner circle
(d) it saved his life, even though he still was sent away
14. Hoss called Sophie to a window to show her what?
(a) his prized Arabian stallion
(b) his daughters at play
(c) her son
(d) his wife serving a picnic
15. What music did Sophie often hear while working for Hoss?
(a) a Haydn symphony
(b) Bach's Cannon
(c) Wagner's opera
(d) The Everly Brothers
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
2. Why does Sophie give Hoss pills?
3. Why was Sophie arrested?
4. What does Sophie say is the reason Nathan treats her and Stingo so poorly?
5. What did Jozef do in Poland?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)