|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Sophie's son sent upon arrival at the camp?
(a) the Children's Camp
(b) back to Warsaw
(c) to Germany
(d) to Hoss's household
2. What does Nathan rave about in the motel in Connecticut?
(a) that Sophie is a Nazi
(b) that he and Sophie must die
(c) that Germany should be destroyed completely
(d) that the Jews are treated unfairly
3. Sophie helped Hoss with his work beyond what he required of her. Why?
(a) she was trying to get him to see her as a person
(b) she wanted him to trust her so she could kill him
(c) she felt sorry for him
(d) she fell in love with him
4. What does Stingo think is the possible reason he is attracted to Sophie?
(a) because she's a blond
(b) because she has a cute accent
(c) because she has traveled so much
(d) because he he cannot have her
5. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
(a) he is amazed at the buildings
(b) he is indifferent to it
(c) he loves the city
(d) he dislikes New York
6. Why did Sophie believe her son might be saved?
(a) Hoss told her he'd adopt him
(b) she saw a picture in the newspaper that looked like him
(c) his father came to get him
(d) Jan was no longer in the Children's Camp
7. What does Sophhie beg Hoss to do?
(a) to take her with him
(b) to have an affair with her
(c) to let her go home
(d) to release her son, Jan
8. How does Sophie feel about herself?
(a) that she is favored by God
(b) that she's ugly
(c) that she is filled with badness
(d) that she's too smart for Stingo
9. Who does Wanda tell Sophie to look for in Hoss's household?
10. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
(a) her knowledge of Spainish
(b) her ability to take German shorthand
(c) her knowledge of English
(d) her knowledge of Europe
11. What does Sophie do when Nathan returns after being gone so long?
(a) she takes him to the hospital
(b) she takes him to his brother's
(c) she takes him back
(d) she kicks him out
12. Why is Nathan thinking about visiting the south?
(a) he has an uncle there
(b) he wants to see Stingo's farm
(c) he enjoys Stingo's novel
(d) he wants to confront the racism
13. What were the two types of concentration camps in Poland?
(a) male and female
(b) the death camp and the slave labor camp
(c) Polish and Russian
(d) Jewish and other
14. Why was Sophie arrested?
(a) being a member of the resistance
(b) smuggling a contraband ham
(c) helping Jews
(d) smuggling cigarettes
15. What does Sophie tell Hoss about her being at the camp?
(a) that her husband was German and she shouldn't be there
(b) she was sent there by mistake
(c) that she was German and she shouldn't be there
(d) that she was a spy for the SS
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie say is the reason Nathan treats her and Stingo so poorly?
2. Where do Sophie and Stingo decide to go when they leave New York?
3. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
4. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
5. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)