|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
(a) her knowledge of Spainish
(b) her ability to take German shorthand
(c) her knowledge of Europe
(d) her knowledge of English
2. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
(a) he should be a doctor
(b) he should move back home and be a farmer
(c) he'll never make money as a writer
(d) that he will be a famous author someday
3. What does Nathan say he has found?
(a) the DNA molecue
(b) the cure for cancer
(c) a measles vaccination
(d) a vaccine against polio
4. When Bronek tells Sophie Höss is about to be transferred, why does she panic?
(a) she would be left at the mercy of the housekeeper
(b) it would stop her plan for her son
(c) it would mean she's have to go into the regular camp
(d) it would mean she'd not see Bronek again
5. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
(a) from the kitchen
(b) from Hoss's office
(c) out of Hoss's daughter's room
(d) from the housekeeper's office
6. How did Nathan say the thief who took Stingo's money got into Stingo's room?
(a) came through the attic access
(b) forced the window
(c) Stingo must have left his door unlocked
(d) used a spare key on the door
7. How did Dürrfeld feel about Sophie?
(a) he hated her
(b) he thought her childish
(c) he was attracted to her
(d) he was indifferent to her
8. How has Stingo reacted to Sophie's story about her son?
(a) he feels like he won't be able to sleep
(b) he's excited
(c) he's not sure he believes it
(d) he's going to join the army
9. What was the name of the pamphlet Sophie's father wrote about Poland?
(a) Poland: The People and Country Compared to Germany
(b) Poland's Jewish Problem: Does National Socialism Have the Answer
(c) Poland: A Land Ripe and Ready for Hitler
(d) Poland: How To Resist The Nazis
10. Who is Professor Biegański?
(a) Sophie's lover in Poland
(b) Sophie's father
(c) Sophie's husband
(d) a friend of Nathan's
11. What does Stingo worry about as a potential suitor to Sophie?
(a) that he's not handsome
(b) that he's from the south
(c) worries about how to support her
(d) that he's not old enough
12. What did Hoss promise her?
(a) she would be reunited with her son and go with him
(b) she would be released
(c) she would go with him
(d) she would see her son
13. What did Sophie's father admire most?
(a) a great symphony
(b) all things German
(d) the United States
14. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
(a) he is amazed at the buildings
(b) he loves the city
(c) he dislikes New York
(d) he is indifferent to it
15. In Chapter 10, Hoss comes into the office in a fury and demands Sophie do what, immediately?
(a) she sleep with his superior office
(b) she translate a letter written in Polish
(c) she sleep with him
(d) she get rid of his headache
Short Answer Questions
1. Stingo falls asleep on the beach. What does Sophie do?
2. What does Sophie say is the reason Nathan treats her and Stingo so poorly?
3. What does Stingo think is the possible reason he is attracted to Sophie?
4. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
5. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)