|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the doctor at Auschwitz tell Sophie about her children?
(a) they must go to Germany
(b) she may keep one of them
(c) they are beautiful
(d) they are sick children
2. How did Wanda feel about Sophie being transferred to Hoss's office?
(a) she thought it an opportunity
(b) she was jealous
(c) she was angry
(d) she was indifferent
3. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
(a) from the kitchen
(b) from the housekeeper's office
(c) from Hoss's office
(d) out of Hoss's daughter's room
4. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
(a) he lost his wife in Germany
(b) his wife was killed
(c) his daugther was killed by a mugger
(d) his son died
5. What does Sophie say is the reason Nathan treats her and Stingo so poorly?
(a) Nathan is a sociopath
(b) Nathan is insane
(c) Nathan had a bad childhood
(d) Nathan has been on drugs
6. When on the subway to meet his father, what is on Stingo's mind?
(a) mourning over the loss of Nathan and Sophie
(b) his old high school
(c) how to tell his father no
(d) the next chapter of his book
7. What does Stingo think about Sophie's position in the camp working for Hoss?
(a) she was lucky compared to others at the camp
(b) she was a bad mother
(c) she was a traitor
(d) she was a prostitute
8. What does Stingo promise to buy Sophie?
(a) a car
(b) a horse
(c) a record player
(d) a nice house
9. How did Sophie's husband feel about her father?
(a) he fought with him constantly
(b) he was nothing more than a disciple of her father's
(c) he tried to kill him several times
(d) he thought her father was insane
10. How does Hoss repond to Sophie's information about her father?
(a) he screams at her
(b) he ignores it, worried only about his problems
(c) he sends her to be whipped
(d) he rapes her
11. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way to research slavery
(b) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
(c) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
(d) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
12. At the beginning of Chapter 16, Stingo asserts one of his talents holds him in good stead on the train with Sophie. What is that talent?
(a) his ability to talk
(b) his singing
(c) his writing
(d) his fighting ability
13. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) helps her escape
(b) gives her soap
(c) brings her food each day
(d) protects her from other prisoners
14. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
(a) his father is sick
(b) Nathan has attacked Sophie
(c) a publisher wants his book
(d) Sophie has died
15. Sophie helped Hoss with his work beyond what he required of her. Why?
(a) she felt sorry for him
(b) she wanted him to trust her so she could kill him
(c) she was trying to get him to see her as a person
(d) she fell in love with him
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Hoss comes into the office in a fury and demands Sophie do what, immediately?
2. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
3. What is the program Sophie tells Stingo about as a hope she had for her son?
4. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
5. How did Nathan say the thief who took Stingo's money got into Stingo's room?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)