|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Wanda tell Sophie to look for in Hoss's household?
2. Who does Sophie dream about on her last night in Hoss' household?
(a) her son
(c) her husband
(d) Professor Biegański
3. How does Stingo's father feel about New York?
(a) he loves the city
(b) he is indifferent to it
(c) he is amazed at the buildings
(d) he dislikes New York
4. What kind of musical instrument did Sophie's daughter play?
(a) a flute
(b) a tuba
(c) the piano
(d) a violin
5. Where does Stingo go for ten days after the meeting in question #162?
(a) visit an old Marine friend
(b) to Washington, D.C.
(c) to visit his father
(d) to Chicago
6. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
(a) from the housekeeper's office
(b) out of Hoss's daughter's room
(c) from the kitchen
(d) from Hoss's office
7. What does Nathan rave about in the motel in Connecticut?
(a) that he and Sophie must die
(b) that Sophie is a Nazi
(c) that Germany should be destroyed completely
(d) that the Jews are treated unfairly
8. What does Stingo think about Sophie's position in the camp working for Hoss?
(a) she was a traitor
(b) she was a bad mother
(c) she was a prostitute
(d) she was lucky compared to others at the camp
9. What does Sophie say to Stingo when she tells him about begging Hoss on her knees?
(a) she would have slept with him the rest of her life to save her son
(b) that prisoners were reduced to behaving like animals
(c) how she thought it would work
(d) she would have killed herself to save her son
10. What does Nathan announce at the party about him and Sophie?
(a) they are splitting up
(b) they are going to have a child
(c) they are getting a divorce
(d) they are getting married
11. Where is Stingo at the end of the book?
(a) in Virginia
(b) on a sunny beach
(c) in Germany
(d) at home with his father
12. Who is Irma?
(a) the hotel maid
(b) a bad German at Auschwitz
(c) the owner of Monty's
(d) a friend of Sophie's at Auschwitz
13. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way to research slavery
(b) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
(c) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
(d) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
14. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
(a) he'll never make money as a writer
(b) he should be a doctor
(c) he should move back home and be a farmer
(d) that he will be a famous author someday
15. What does Sophhie beg Hoss to do?
(a) to take her with him
(b) to release her son, Jan
(c) to let her go home
(d) to have an affair with her
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Nathan give Stingo?
2. What does the doctor at Auschwitz tell Sophie about her children?
3. What was the name of the pamphlet Sophie's father wrote about Poland?
4. What does Sophie say Wanda kept telling everyone about the Nazis?
5. What did Sophie's father admire most?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)