|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Wanda feel about Sophie being transferred to Hoss's office?
(a) she was angry
(b) she thought it an opportunity
(c) she was indifferent
(d) she was jealous
2. Hoss called Sophie to a window to show her what?
(a) his wife serving a picnic
(b) his daughters at play
(c) her son
(d) his prized Arabian stallion
3. How did Dürrfeld feel about Sophie?
(a) he thought her childish
(b) he hated her
(c) he was attracted to her
(d) he was indifferent to her
4. What does Stingo find out about Nathan?
(a) he's dying
(b) he is a paranoid schizophrenic
(c) he's married
(d) he's a famous scientist
5. How did Sophie's husband feel about her father?
(a) he was nothing more than a disciple of her father's
(b) he fought with him constantly
(c) he thought her father was insane
(d) he tried to kill him several times
6. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
(a) his daugther was killed by a mugger
(b) he lost his wife in Germany
(c) his son died
(d) his wife was killed
7. Who does Sophie dream about on her last night in Hoss' household?
(a) Professor Biegański
(b) her son
(d) her husband
8. Stingo falls asleep on the beach. What does Sophie do?
(a) swims far out to drown
(b) finishes the bottle of whiskey
(c) takes a bus home
(d) walks the beach
9. Why is Stingo interested in writing about Sophie?
(a) he thought it a fitting memorial
(b) she was a victim, but that she had also been an accessory
(c) he was still in love with her
(d) he wanted to prove Sophie's worth to Nathan
10. Who calls Stingo and asks to meet about Nathan?
(a) Dr. Gover, a doctor of Nathan's
(b) Nathan's mother
(c) Larry, Nathan's brother
(d) Henry, Nathan's father
11. When on the subway to meet his father, what is on Stingo's mind?
(a) how to tell his father no
(b) the next chapter of his book
(c) mourning over the loss of Nathan and Sophie
(d) his old high school
12. When Bronek tells Sophie Höss is about to be transferred, why does she panic?
(a) it would mean she's have to go into the regular camp
(b) it would stop her plan for her son
(c) it would mean she'd not see Bronek again
(d) she would be left at the mercy of the housekeeper
13. At the camp, who was Bronek?
(a) Hoss' son
(b) a prison guard
(c) the housekeeper at Hoss'
(d) a member of the resistance group
14. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
(a) Sophie has died
(b) a publisher wants his book
(c) Nathan has attacked Sophie
(d) his father is sick
15. How much money did Nathan give Stingo?
(a) one hundred dollars
(b) a thousand dollars
(c) fifty dollars
(d) two hundred dollars
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
2. What does Stingo promise to buy Sophie?
3. What does Sophie tell Stingo about his career?
4. Sophie helped Hoss with his work beyond what he required of her. Why?
5. What does Sophie say to Stingo's marriage proposal?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)