|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Stingo at the end of the book?
(a) in Virginia
(b) at home with his father
(c) on a sunny beach
(d) in Germany
2. Who calls Stingo and asks to meet about Nathan?
(a) Henry, Nathan's father
(b) Nathan's mother
(c) Larry, Nathan's brother
(d) Dr. Gover, a doctor of Nathan's
3. When on the subway to meet his father, what is on Stingo's mind?
(a) how to tell his father no
(b) mourning over the loss of Nathan and Sophie
(c) his old high school
(d) the next chapter of his book
4. How did Dürrfeld feel about Sophie?
(a) he was indifferent to her
(b) he thought her childish
(c) he was attracted to her
(d) he hated her
5. What does Sophie say to his marriage proposal?
(a) she would never marry him
(b) she'd love to marry him
(c) nothing, he never asked her
(d) she's not ready for that
6. How does Nathan look at a possible trip south?
(a) as a way for Sophie to remember Germany
(b) as a way to cement his friendship with Stingo
(c) as a honeymoon for him and Sophie
(d) as a way to research slavery
7. What does Sophie do when Nathan returns after being gone so long?
(a) she takes him to his brother's
(b) she takes him to the hospital
(c) she kicks him out
(d) she takes him back
8. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) helps her escape
(b) brings her food each day
(c) gives her soap
(d) protects her from other prisoners
9. How long did the SS officer say Jews were allowed to live at the camp?
(a) three months
(b) three days
(c) two years
(d) two weeks
10. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
(a) her knowledge of English
(b) her knowledge of Europe
(c) her ability to take German shorthand
(d) her knowledge of Spainish
11. Who does Wanda tell Sophie to look for in Hoss's household?
12. How did Nathan say the thief who took Stingo's money got into Stingo's room?
(a) Stingo must have left his door unlocked
(b) used a spare key on the door
(c) forced the window
(d) came through the attic access
13. Why did Sophie believe her son might be saved?
(a) she saw a picture in the newspaper that looked like him
(b) his father came to get him
(c) Jan was no longer in the Children's Camp
(d) Hoss told her he'd adopt him
14. What kind of musical instrument did Sophie's daughter play?
(a) a flute
(b) a violin
(c) a tuba
(d) the piano
15. What was Sophie comforting Dr. Blackstock?
(a) his daugther was killed by a mugger
(b) he lost his wife in Germany
(c) his son died
(d) his wife was killed
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Professor Biegański?
2. What does Stingo tell Sophie when he does poorly with sex?
3. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
4. What were the two types of concentration camps in Poland?
5. At the camp, who was Bronek?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)