|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Stingo reading books about the Holocaust so many years after he met Sophie and Nathan?
(a) he likes to irritate his father
(b) he wants to write Sophie and Nathan's story
(c) he's trying to understand the Jewish religion
(d) he's trying to understand southern racism
2. What does Stingo pretend to be at the motel with Sophie?
(a) a doctor
(b) a soldier
(c) Sophie's brother
(d) a reverend
3. Who does Sophie dream about on her last night in Hoss' household?
(a) her husband
(b) her son
(d) Professor Biegański
4. Who assaults Sophie while living in the Hoss household?
(a) Wilhelmine, the evil German maid
(b) Hoss, the evil commandant
(c) no one
(d) Bronek, the evil guard
5. Stingo is called back to the boarding house from his trip. Why?
(a) his father is sick
(b) Sophie has died
(c) Nathan has attacked Sophie
(d) a publisher wants his book
6. What does Nathan say he has found?
(a) a vaccine against polio
(b) the DNA molecue
(c) a measles vaccination
(d) the cure for cancer
7. What does Bronek do for Sophie?
(a) helps her escape
(b) gives her soap
(c) brings her food each day
(d) protects her from other prisoners
8. What does Sophie say to Stingo when she tells him about begging Hoss on her knees?
(a) she would have killed herself to save her son
(b) she would have slept with him the rest of her life to save her son
(c) how she thought it would work
(d) that prisoners were reduced to behaving like animals
9. How does Stingo find Sophie and Nathan when he returns to New York?
10. Why do Stingo and Sophie flee the boarding house?
(a) it's on fire
(b) Sophie has decided to marry Stingo
(c) Nathan is high on drugs
(d) Nathan is coming with a gun
11. Sophie helped Hoss with his work beyond what he required of her. Why?
(a) she wanted him to trust her so she could kill him
(b) she felt sorry for him
(c) she was trying to get him to see her as a person
(d) she fell in love with him
12. How long did the SS officer say Jews were allowed to live at the camp?
(a) two weeks
(b) three months
(c) two years
(d) three days
13. Why did Sophie leave the party and take a taxi home?
(a) the talk of Hitler
(b) they are talking about their children
(c) the talk of the Polish people turning against the Jews
(d) they were talking about concentration camps
14. Why did Sophie believe her son might be saved?
(a) his father came to get him
(b) Jan was no longer in the Children's Camp
(c) she saw a picture in the newspaper that looked like him
(d) Hoss told her he'd adopt him
15. Why was Sophie given a preferred position in the concentration camp?
(a) her knowledge of Europe
(b) her knowledge of Spainish
(c) her knowledge of English
(d) her ability to take German shorthand
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stingo find out about Nathan?
2. Why is Stingo interested in writing about Sophie?
3. Why does Sophie wake Stingo early in the morning at the hotel?
4. Where does Sophie try to steal a radio?
5. Hoss called Sophie to a window to show her what?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)