|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Nathan give Stingo a hard time?
(a) being short
(b) being in love with Sophie
(c) trying to be a writer
(d) being from the south
2. Why does Stingo think Leslie is going to have sex with him on their date?
(a) she has told him she will
(b) Sophie has told him she will
(c) her strongly suggestive conversation
(d) Nathan told him she will
3. Where is Sophie working in 1947, in America?
(a) in a drug store
(b) in a five and ten store
(c) in a chiropractic office
(d) in a bank
4. What does Stingo compare Nathan to because of Nathan's education?
(a) an all-around Renaissance man
(b) an educated country boy
(c) a college professor
(d) a great scientist
5. What does his father tell him to do?
(a) put it in the bank
(b) get a new apartment
(c) use it to support Stingo's writing ambitions
(d) go buy a suit
6. How does Stingo respond to Nathan's racism debate?
(a) by saying it wasn't his fault his parents lived in the south
(b) by saying he was prejudiced against men who abused women
(c) by telling Nathan he didn't know what he was talking about
(d) by saying no people should be condemned as a group
7. Why is Madame Bovary Nathan's favorite book?
(a) because of its suicide motif
(b) he likes the character, Madame Bovary
(c) his brother wrote the book
(d) he likes the author
8. What does Stingo do on this first morning in the boarding house?
(a) bought writing supplies
(b) went to see Farrell
(c) bought a small dog
(d) slept in late
9. What does Farrell urge Stingo to do?
(a) to join the navy
(b) to get married and have children
(c) to kill the Weasel
(d) to strike out on his own and pursue his dreams
10. Why was his picture there, the answer to question#71?
(a) it was taken moments before he was hung as a war criminal
(b) it announced his arrival in New York
(c) it was showing pictures of Auschwitz
(d) it was showing many of the Nazis
11. What has inspired Stingo to write?
(a) Maria Hunt's suicide
(b) watching Sophie
(c) hearing Nathan and Sophie
(d) living in New York city
12. How does Stingo feel about Sophie after he meets her?
(a) he feels guilty thinking about sleeping with her
(b) he feels like he's in love with her
(c) he thinks she's dumb
(d) he decides he doesn't like her that much
13. What happened to Sophie's father and husband?
(a) they were gunned down
(b) they toiled in a munitions factory
(c) they were held prisoner for the entire war
(d) they escaped and went to America
14. Where did her parents work?
(a) her father was a doctor, her mother a nurse
(b) they worked in a shoe factory
(c) they were both professors at the university
(d) her father was in governemnt, her mother a housewife
15. How does Stingo's first novel open?
(a) with a man being put in an insane asylum
(b) with a dead girl being disinterred from her pauper's grave
(c) with an abusive man beating his girl friend
(d) with a young boy lost in New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things is keeping Stingo in New York?
2. What does Sophie notice about Nathan's eyes when he's screaming at her?
3. Where did Stingo obtain employment when he moved to New York?
4. How does Stingo end up on his hot date with Leslie?
5. What did Morris see the morning Stingo goes with them for a day out?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)