|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Stingo, Nathan and Sophie hang out to escape the summer heat?
(a) Nathan's brother's house
(b) in the basement of the boarding house
(c) in the park under the trees
(d) an air-conditioned cocktail lounge called the Maple Court
2. From where had Sophie been released right before she met Nathan?
(a) a Nazi concentration camp
(b) as a prisoner of war in Japan
(c) in a state mental hospital
(d) in a state prison
3. Where did Stingo's father get the money?
(a) from Stingo's brother
(b) from a robbery
(c) an inheritance
(d) part of a severance package
4. Why is Madame Bovary Nathan's favorite book?
(a) his brother wrote the book
(b) because of its suicide motif
(c) he likes the author
(d) he likes the character, Madame Bovary
5. What type of role has Stingo acquired in Sophie's life?
(a) the role of lover
(b) the role of doctor
(c) the role of priestly confessor
(d) the role of little brother
6. What did Morris see the morning Stingo goes with them for a day out?
(a) Nathan slapping Sophie as she lies on the floor
(b) Nathan with another woman
(c) Sophie packing her bags
(d) a bunch of Catholics going to mass
7. How does Stingo end up on his hot date with Leslie?
(a) in bed with Sophie
(b) in bed with Leslie for the weekend
(c) sound asleep on the couch
(d) in jail for attempted rape
8. Where did Stingo obtain employment when he moved to New York?
(a) wall street
(b) Manhattan Bank
(c) New York circuit court
(d) the publishing firm of McGraw-Hill
9. What religion was Sophie when young?
(c) strictly Catholic
10. Who helped Sophie with her health problems after she met Nathan?
(a) Nathan's brother, Dr. Larry Landau
(b) Nathan's boss, Dr. Roger Calhoun
(c) Stingo's friend, Dr. Larry Morgan
(d) Nathan's father, Dr. Nathan Landau
11. In what shape was Sophie when the prison was liberated?
(a) starved and ill
(b) thin, but basically healthy
(c) better than most prisoners
(d) about the same as when she arrived
12. Where did Stingo get his nickname?
(a) when he was in the army
(b) in college, playing football
(c) at prep school in Virginia
(d) from his father
13. How do Sophie and Nathan dress after their fight?
(a) like American soldiers
(b) in the style of the 1930s
(c) in matching riding outfits
(d) like 1920 flappers
14. What happened on the subway that made Sophie think about suicide?
(a) she was screamed at
(b) she was robbed
(c) she dreamt of her husband
(d) she was molested
15. How does Stingo's first novel open?
(a) with an abusive man beating his girl friend
(b) with a dead girl being disinterred from her pauper's grave
(c) with a man being put in an insane asylum
(d) with a young boy lost in New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Sophie in the library that made her faint?
2. What does Stingo begin reading at work?
3. How does Stingo respond to the Weasel's request?
4. What's happening the first time Stingo sees Sophie?
5. Who is Theodore Gilmore Bilbo?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)