Part 1, Chapter 1
• Robert Smith attempts to fly to the other side of Lake Superior with handmade wings.
• Robert Smith dies from the fall.
• As a result of Smith's death, Ruth Foster is admitted to Mercy Hospital, which does not normally take black patients.
• Ruth lives with her husband Macon Dead who despises her.
• Macon Dead is a landlord who is doing well financially.
• Ruth continues to breastfeed her children in order to have more human contact.
• As a result of the prolonged breastfeeding, the son Macon is nicknamed Milkman.
• Macon Dead also hates his sister, Pilate Dead.
• Macon goes to Porter's house to try to get his rent.
• Eventually, Porter passes out and Macon takes his money.
• Macon hears his sister singing and is touched by the sound.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• The Dead family goes for a Sunday drive.
• Milkman grows to be 12 and has a 17-year-old friend named...
This section contains 1,646 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)