|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Claire give for refusing to leave the village by boat?
2. Einar tells Claire that he thinks it may be better to climb out in search of something rather than for what other reason?
3. When Claire arrives, how old is Einar, the villager who tried to leave the village, but failed?
4. What activity does Einar teach Claire how to do with a rope?
5. What type of bird attacks Claire during her assent up the cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Einar reveal to Claire about his father?
2. What is Claire's solution for quelling her fear of animals?
3. What is the relationship between Alys and Old Benedikt?
4. What elements of the job of fisherman make it dangerous for villagers who undertake the position?
5. For what purpose does Claire venture out of her house on a winter day to seek out Einar?
6. Why do Bethan, Delwyth, and Eira stop playing a pretend game involving babies and instead switch to playing tea party?
7. What is Alys's reaction to the news that Claire is training to climb out?
8. What is revealed about the relationship of Old Benedikt and Alys?
9. What exercises does Einar give Claire to do until the winter is over?
10. What examples of Einar's father's abuse within Einar's story involve Alys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the novel's title and of the repeated references to sons throughout the narrative. What is the author's purpose in including the motif of male children, both in the title and throughout the narrative of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Determine the author's message regarding the value of individualism within the novel Son. Support your claim with quotes from the narrative. Be sure to use a variety of characters and situations to back up your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the author's message regarding perseverance within the novel Son.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)