|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what has Alys always yearned?
(a) A cat.
(b) A daughter.
(c) A son.
(d) A rabbit.
2. What do the villagers call the act of leaving the village?
(a) Climbing out.
3. What does Einar mean when he tells Claire that he had been a wife to his father "in other ways too terrible to mention"? (206).
(a) He had cleaned the house for his father.
(b) He had cooked for his father.
(c) He had arranged social activities for his father.
(d) His father had sexually abused him.
4. Einar tells Claire that he thinks it may be better to climb out in search of something rather than for what other reason?
(a) Leaving out of desperation.
(b) Loving what one is leaving.
(c) Leaving out of boredom.
(d) Hating what one is leaving.
5. With what tool had Trademaster hacked off half of each of Einar's feet after Einar had refused to trade with him?
(a) A hatchet.
(b) A machete.
(c) A saw.
(d) A scythe.
6. What name is given to Claire upon her arrival in the village?
(a) Drenched Claire.
(b) Seashore Claire.
(c) Water Claire.
(d) Wet Claire.
7. What quality of the villagers' discovery of Claire is one they have never experienced before?
(a) They have never seen a girl with red hair.
(b) They have never seen a girl with such pale skin.
(c) They have never seen a girl with blue eyes.
(d) No newcomer has ever appeared in the village.
8. What type of animal inspires the greatest fear in Claire once she arrives in the village?
9. What reason does Einar give Claire when he tells her not to wear her gloves unless she is using the rope?
(a) He says the gloves will slip off if she is not using the rope.
(b) He says she needs to feel with her fingers.
(c) He says the gloves are thin and will wear away by the end of the climb.
(d) He says the gloves will make her hands too hot.
10. What word do Bethan, Delwyth, and Eira use during their pretend tea party that is wholly unfamiliar to Claire?
11. From whom had Alys inherited her carved wooden trunk?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
12. What reason does Einar give Claire for why she must start her climb in the nighttime?
(a) So that Alys will not discover that she is gone.
(b) So that she can practice her handholds and footholds without the benefit of light.
(c) So that the seagulls will not attack her.
(d) So that she will not be near the top of the cliff in the darkness.
13. How old had Old Benedikt and Alys been the first time they danced?
14. Alys and Old Benedikt tell Tall Andras that Claire cannot be wed until what condition is met?
(a) Claire's parents are located.
(b) The leader of the village gives his consent.
(c) He proves to be a good provider.
(d) Claire has regained her memory.
15. Until what age had Einar been raised by someone other than his father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Alys remove from the bottom of her trunk so that Claire may smell its scent?
2. Bethan suggests that the three girls should stop including a baby in their pretending games due to what reason?
3. What color does Claire love for its playfulness?
4. What reason does Claire give Alys for why her community had chosen to eradicate feelings of love in its citizens?
5. What scent does Alys believe has caused the triggering of Claire's memory?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)