|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One village legend says that when Tall Andras had come upon Claire, he had uttered what one word aloud?
2. What is the one detail of Claire's arrival in the village that remains constant over time?
(a) She had come from the river.
(b) She had come from the sunshine.
(c) She had come from the sea.
(d) She had come from the clouds.
3. What type of bird attacks Claire during her assent up the cliff?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A gull.
(c) An eagle.
(d) An egret.
4. How had Einar's mother died?
(a) She had been murdered by Einar's father.
(b) She had died in childbirth with Einar.
(c) She had contracted pneumonia.
(d) She had fallen off a cliff.
5. Claire goes to see Einar on a winter day primarily in order to ask him about what aspect of his past?
(a) His lack of a mother.
(b) The loss of his brother.
(c) His relationship with his birth mother.
(d) His attempt to climb out.
6. Though Claire does not remember how old she is, what does Alys judge Claire's age to be when she arrives in the village?
7. How many sit-ups does Einar tell Claire to do every day?
8. What gift does Einar give to Claire once she is well enough to receive gifts?
(a) A straw hat.
(b) A rosebush.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A basket of raspberries.
9. What reason does Claire give for refusing to leave the village by boat?
(a) She relishes the challenge of climbing the cliff.
(b) She does not know anything about sailing.
(c) The inlet does not go out into the sea.
(d) She is terrified of the sea.
10. To whom does Einar's father send Einar when his arm is broken after his fall from the fishing boat's mast?
(c) Old Benedikt.
11. Since giving birth to Bethan six years ago, how many children has Bryn lost before birth?
12. What does Claire name the bird brought to her by Einar?
13. What reason does Einar give Claire when he tells her not to wear her gloves unless she is using the rope?
(a) He says she needs to feel with her fingers.
(b) He says the gloves are thin and will wear away by the end of the climb.
(c) He says the gloves will slip off if she is not using the rope.
(d) He says the gloves will make her hands too hot.
14. What reason does Claire give Alys for why her community had chosen to eradicate feelings of love in its citizens?
(a) Because they believed to do so fixed many ills.
(b) Because they believed to do so would simplify everyone's lives.
(c) Because they believed to do so would make the citizens easier to control.
(d) Because they believed to do so would please Trademaster.
15. What scent does Alys believe has caused the triggering of Claire's memory?
(d) Pine needles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bethan suggests that the three girls should stop including a baby in their pretending games due to what reason?
2. What do the villagers call the act of leaving the village?
3. When Claire feels she has mastered the running of the hillside path, what does Einar do to make the task more difficult?
4. What reason had Einar's father given him for taking Einar back into his own home?
5. With what malady has Tall Andras's mother been plagued for months by the time he creates the mommet?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)