Book One: Chapters 1-8
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Lowry, Lois. Son. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012. E-book.
• Claire, the protagonist, has gone into labor.
• Claire is 14 years old and she knows nothing about the process of giving birth.
• When Claire’s labor becomes too difficult, she is given an anesthetic.
• Upon waking, Claire finds that she has a wound on her stomach that none of the other birth mothers in the dorm have.
• She is also in much more pain than the other birth mothers.
• She learns that after she was given an operation, she delivered a healthy baby boy called number 36.
• Later, when Claire is called upon to speak to the committee, she is very worried.
• The committee tells Claire that she has been decertified as a birth mother, which they call a Vessel.
• Claire is worried and asks questions...
This section contains 4,256 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)