Book One: Chapters 1-8
• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Lowry, Lois. Son. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 2012. E-book.
• Claire is 14 years old.
• She feels a mask or blindfold being placed over her face as she experiences labor pains.
• The reader is told that Claire was chosen as a Birthmother when she was 12.
• Being chosen as a birthmother rather than as a professional of some sort carries with it a stigma in the community and Claire feels her parents are embarrassed.
• Being a birthmother means that a young woman is inseminated and gives birth to a maximum of three children, or products, that are then given to assigned couples to raise.
• Claire thinks about how after she was chosen, she was fed a special diet and was moved into a special dormitory for vessels.
• Additionally, Claire recalls a forbidden conversation she had with...
This section contains 5,333 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)