|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character in the final prologue?
2. What is the rat trying to crack open?
3. What does Hank drink at the Snag?
4. Why does Lee exaggerate the extent of his illness?
5. This section begins with a reference to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the novel
2. Describe the prologue that opens Chapter 9.
3. Why does Hank not want Joe-Ben to shoot the geese?
4. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 11.
5. Why is Evenwrite worried about the rain?
6. Why is Jenny tossing shells onto her bed?
7. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 7.
8. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 6, Part 2.
9. What does Lee realize as he watches his brother fight and beat up Biggy?
10. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1)With the students, discuss what metaphors are. How do writers use them? Can the writers overuse them? Give examples of good and bad metaphors.
2) What other metaphors are there in the book? Do the metaphors center on anything specific?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Kesey's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Examine the following statement: "The different points of view Kesey uses in the novel make it inaccessible to the average reader." Using two examples from the book, argue either for or against the statement.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)