|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Evenwrite learn from his father?
2. Who does Willard's plan involve in deceiving?
3. Who gets to the hospital before Hank?
4. How much money will Lee get from Henry's death?
5. What crushes Hank's arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Willard's phone call to Hank.
2. What is Willard's mistress' plan to continue their relationship?
3. In what way does Hank show that he is losing control?
4. Why does Henry need to show Hank how to cut trees the old fashioned way?
5. Describe what happens at the Snag in Chapter 6, Part 2.
6. Summarize the novel
7. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 11.
8. What does Lee realize as he watches his brother fight and beat up Biggy?
9. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 6, Part 2.
10. Describe Hank's time at the Snag.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sometime a Great Notion is an influential novel. Choose a book written after Sometimes a Great Notion that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss their similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Kesey grew up in Oregon, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Kesey knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Kesey does not portray a character or setting so well? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how the past defines the present. Is there a way to escape our past or is it always there? Do we need to just accept our past? Are there any characters in the novel that get over their past and move on?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)