|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does the final chapter take place?
2. What is the weather like on the night Hank and Newton fight?
3. Who does the tree trap in the rising tide?
4. What is the rat trying to crack open?
5. Who is returning home at the beginning of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe-Ben think about as he positions himself to eavesdrop on the town meeting?
2. Why is Simone so happy?
3. What is Willard's mistress' plan to continue their relationship?
4. Why does Lee refuse to get out of bed?
5. Describe Hank's time at the Snag.
6. Describe Willard's phone call to Hank.
7. Describe what happens at the Snag in Chapter 6, Part 2.
8. Summarize the novel
9. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 11.
10. What is Willard Eggleston's situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kesey's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Identify moments in the book that are dictated by the strike.
1) How far-reaching is the strike is on the local community? Does it affect areas outside the community as well?
2) Choose a character in the novel and find out how the strike affects and restricts that character's decisions.
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the premise of Sometime a Great Notion? Does Kesey keep to this premise throughout?
2) What would happen if he did not keep to the story's premise? Why do stories need a premise?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)