|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hank's wife?
2. What can Henry hear in the distance?
3. Whose suicide does Lee talk about?
4. What happens to the house as the postman delivers the postcard?
5. What has Indian Jenny received from the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee tell his housemate on the phone?
2. How do Hank and Viv meet?
3. Why does the real estate man soap his house?
4. What happens when a postman tries to deliver a postcard?
5. In what way does the town talk differently about Viv?
6. Summarize the prologue that opens Chapter 6, Part .
7. What does Draeger see through the binoculars?
8. Why does Jonas become disillusioned with Oregon?
9. What does Lee find out about Viv in this chapter?
10. Describe the prologue that opens the first chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of 1960's America.
1) Why were individuality and family such an important issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1960's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1960's America?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Sometimes a Great Notion supports individuality over the community." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)