|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom has Hank had a fight?
2. Lee get drunk on __________.
3. What is the name of the main family?
4. Who makes curses on the Stampers?
5. Lee arranges to accompany Viv to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lee get Viv alone?
2. Why does Jonas become disillusioned with Oregon?
3. In what way are the Stampers restless?
4. Why does the real estate man soap his house?
5. Describe the prologue that opens Chapter 5.
6. Describe the prologue that opens Chapter 4.
7. What happens to the bobcats?
8. Why does Henry's relationship with Bobby break down?
9. What does Jonas' note to Hank say?
10. What do the customers talk about at the Snag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "Sometimes a Great Notion supports individuality over the community." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1960's America.
1) Why were individuality and family such an important issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the 1960's? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with 1960's America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine 1960's family life. How is 1960's family life reflected in the novel? Are the Stampers' problems specific to the 1960's? In what way does Kesey's representation of a 1960's family communicate his ideas on 1960's life?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)