|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Draeger handed?
2. Hank leave his sons to go to ____________.
3. To whom is lee writing?
4. What does Hank admire about Lee?
5. Where is the shack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the prologue that opens Chapter 4.
2. Describe the prologue that opens Chapter 3.
3. What does Lee find out about Viv in this chapter?
4. What happens to the bobcats?
5. Why does Henry's relationship with Bobby break down?
6. In what way is Viv described as different?
7. What happens when a postman tries to deliver a postcard?
8. What does Viv reflect upon on her walk to the shack?
9. How does Lee get Viv alone?
10. Whose perspectives does the narrative move between as Viv, Lee and Henry wait at the shack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify moments in the book that are dictated by the strike.
1) How far-reaching is the strike is on the local community? Does it affect areas outside the community as well?
2) Choose a character in the novel and find out how the strike affects and restricts that character's decisions.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Kesey use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Kesey's writing style. How would you describe Kesey's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Kesey's style give to the story?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)