|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Evenwrite taunt when he reaches the shore?
2. Of what kind of person does the prologue speak?
3. For what does Indian Jenny use the pages of the Bible?
4. What is the name of the prostitute in this chapter?
5. Which character does Joe-Ben not like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the prologue that begins Chapter 2.
2. Describe the prologue that opens Chapter 5.
3. Why does Jonas become disillusioned with Oregon?
4. In what way does the town talk differently about Viv?
5. What does Lee tell his housemate on the phone?
6. Describe the scene at the shack between Henry, Lee and Viv.
7. With what story about Hank does the chapter open?
8. What does Lee find out about Viv in this chapter?
9. Why is the town striking?
10. What does Draeger see through the binoculars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1)With the students, discuss what metaphors are. How do writers use them? Can the writers overuse them? Give examples of good and bad metaphors.
2) What other metaphors are there in the book? Do the metaphors center on anything specific?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kesey's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)