|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mr. Halloway laugh?
2. What does Will tell his father?
3. Where does the five-year-old boy drop his gum?
4. Who does Mr. Halloway say wants sadness?
5. What part of Will's body ages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Halloway break the mirrors in the Mirror Maze?
2. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
3. What does Mr. Dark want Mr. Halloway to do for him?
4. What does Will tell his dad on the phone?
5. What happens at the end of the chapter?
6. How does Mr. Halloway kill Mr. Dark?
7. Why does Mr. Halloway not want Will to cry?
8. How do Will and Jim react when they see Mr. Tetley during the parade?
9. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
10. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bradbury's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine how the carnival tries to take advantage of his/her fears?
1) Jim Nightshade
2) Charles Halloway
3) Miss Foley
Essay Topic 3
How does the carnival play on people's fears and desires? Why does Bradbury suggest that fulfilling your deepest desires can be dangerous? Do you think the characters could fulfill their desires in other ways? How do you think the characters could face up to their fears?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)