|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Dark tell the boys to smile at?
2. Who does Mr. Dark introduce as the bullet catcher?
3. What does Will throw at the witch's balloon?
4. What does Mr. Halloway think is a weapon they can use against Mr. Dark?
5. Who does the boy say is after him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
2. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
3. How does Mr. Halloway kill Mr. Dark?
4. How do Will and Jim react when they see Mr. Tetley during the parade?
5. What does Mr. Halloway tell Will about being good?
6. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
7. What does Will tell his dad on the phone?
8. How does Mr. Halloway break the mirrors in the Mirror Maze?
9. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
10. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Bradbury express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bradbury's representation of carnival people and their lives.
1) How are carnival people's lives and beliefs different from average people's beliefs?
2) Why does Bradbury represent carnival people as evil?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)