|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Dust Witch made of?
2. Whose house do Will and Jim go to in Jim's dream?
3. Who comes to the library in Chapter 38?
4. How does Mr. Halloway stop the witch?
5. What book does Mr. Halloway threaten Mr Dark with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
2. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
3. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
4. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
5. How does Mr. Halloway get the crowd on his side?
6. How do Will and Jim react when they see Mr. Tetley during the parade?
7. How does Mr. Halloway defeat the witch?
8. What does Mr. Halloway draw on the bullet?
9. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
10. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES greatly influenced modern horror. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 3
Examine good and evil in the novel.
1) In what way does Jim represent neither good nor bad in the novel? How does this result in a power struggle between the carnival and Jim's friend, Will?
2) What does say about Bradbury's ideas that God and religion does not seem to hurt Mr. Dark?
3) What is Bradbury's definition of evil?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)