|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Will and Jim hide underneath?
2. What is the weather in the morning?
3. What does Will try to do to stop the mirror images?
4. Who does Mr. Halloway say Mr. Dark is afraid of?
5. What does Mr. Halloway tell the boys to do when they hear a knock at the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Halloway tell Will about being good?
2. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
3. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
4. How does Mr. Halloway get the crowd on his side?
5. How do Will and Jim react when they see Mr. Tetley during the parade?
6. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
7. How does Mr. Halloway break the mirrors in the Mirror Maze?
8. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
9. What does Mr. Dark want Mr. Halloway to do for him?
10. How does Mr. Halloway kill Mr. Dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bradbury writes SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES in the third person. Why do you think Bradbury chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if Bradbury wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think people's memories of their past are accurate? Why do you think Bradbury represents past memories as potentially dangerous? Why do so many characters in the book find it so difficult to move away from their past?
Essay Topic 3
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)