|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mr. Halloway spent all day doing in Chapter 37?
2. What does Will tell his father?
3. What do Will and Jim hide underneath?
4. What does Will try to do to stop the mirror images?
5. Who dies in Chapter 48?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Halloway get the crowd on his side?
2. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
3. What does Mr. Halloway think is the carnival's method?
4. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
5. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
6. What does Mr. Dark want Mr. Halloway to do for him?
7. How does Mr. Halloway defeat the witch?
8. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
9. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
10. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the carnival play on people's fears and desires? Why does Bradbury suggest that fulfilling your deepest desires can be dangerous? Do you think the characters could fulfill their desires in other ways? How do you think the characters could face up to their fears?
Essay Topic 2
Examine good and evil in the novel.
1) In what way does Jim represent neither good nor bad in the novel? How does this result in a power struggle between the carnival and Jim's friend, Will?
2) What does say about Bradbury's ideas that God and religion does not seem to hurt Mr. Dark?
3) What is Bradbury's definition of evil?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bradbury's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)