|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Dark tell the boys to smile at?
2. What does Will tell his father?
3. Who does Mr. Dark say he took for a ride on the carousel?
4. Who is the only person that goes to the carnival in the morning?
5. What does Mr Dark think life is nothing more than?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
2. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
3. What does Mr. Halloway think is the carnival's method?
4. What happens at the end of the chapter?
5. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
6. How does Will get Jim off the carousel?
7. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
8. Why does Mr. Halloway not want Will to cry?
9. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
10. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Bradbury's dialogue contribute to the following areas;
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Bradbury use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)