|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who alerts Mr. Dark to the fact that Will and Jim are under the iron grille?
2. Who dies in Chapter 48?
3. What has Mr. Halloway spent all day researching?
4. Who does Mr. Dark say will hold Will when he is a baby?
5. What makes Mr. Halloway laugh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
2. Why does Mr. Halloway not want Will to cry?
3. What does Mr. Dark want Mr. Halloway to do for him?
4. What does Mr. Halloway draw on the bullet?
5. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
6. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
7. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
8. How does Mr. Halloway defeat the witch?
9. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
10. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think people's memories of their past are accurate? Why do you think Bradbury represents past memories as potentially dangerous? Why do so many characters in the book find it so difficult to move away from their past?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)