|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Dark tell the boys to smile at?
2. How does Mr. Halloway stop the witch?
3. Who does Will phone in Chapter 33?
4. What happens in Chapter 31?
5. What does Will notice Jim has removed from his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
2. How does Mr. Halloway get the crowd on his side?
3. How does Mr. Halloway defeat the witch?
4. What does Mr. Halloway think is the carnival's method?
5. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
6. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
7. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
8. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
9. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
10. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the carnival play on people's fears and desires? Why does Bradbury suggest that fulfilling your deepest desires can be dangerous? Do you think the characters could fulfill their desires in other ways? How do you think the characters could face up to their fears?
Essay Topic 2
In 1983 SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES was made into a film starring Jason Robards. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 25 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)