|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Halloway say Mr. Dark is afraid of?
2. Who are the freaks bringing to the carousel?
3. Who does Mr. Dark introduce as the bullet catcher?
4. How does Mr. Halloway stop the witch?
5. What part of Will's body ages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Will and Jim react when they see Mr. Tetley during the parade?
2. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
3. What does Mr. Halloway think is the carnival's method?
4. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
5. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
6. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
7. What does Mr. Halloway tell Will about being good?
8. How does Will get Jim off the carousel?
9. What happens at the end of the chapter?
10. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES greatly influenced modern horror. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)