|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Halloway tell the boys about at the end of Chapter 38?
2. Where is Charles Halloway in Chapter 37?
3. Who does Mr. Dark introduce as the bullet catcher?
4. What does Will notice Jim has removed from his house?
5. Whose house do Will and Jim go to in Jim's dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
2. How does Mr. Halloway get the crowd on his side?
3. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
4. How do Will and Jim react when they see Mr. Tetley during the parade?
5. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
6. Why does Mr. Halloway not want Will to cry?
7. What does Will tell his dad on the phone?
8. What does Mr. Dark want Mr. Halloway to do for him?
9. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
10. What does Mr. Halloway think is the carnival's method?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Bradbury express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
In 1983 SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES was made into a film starring Jason Robards. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 25 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bradbury's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)