|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the library in Chapter 38?
2. Who does Mr. Dark say will hold Will when he is a baby?
3. Where does Mr. Dark hide the boys?
4. What store do Will and Jim hide near?
5. Who is the only person that goes to the carnival in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
2. What does Mr. Dark want Mr. Halloway to do for him?
3. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
4. What does Mr. Halloway research at the library?
5. What does Mr. Halloway think is the carnival's method?
6. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
7. How does Mr. Halloway defeat the witch?
8. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
9. How do Will and his father wake up Jim?
10. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bradbury's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Bradbury use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)