|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mr. Dark's new act?
2. Who does Mr. Dark say will hold Will when he is a baby?
3. Who does Mr. Halloway say wants sadness?
4. What book does Mr. Halloway threaten Mr Dark with?
5. What does Will try to do to stop the mirror images?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Will and Jim see outside their windows?
2. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
3. How does Will call the witch back to their house?
4. What does Mr. Halloway tell Will about being good?
5. How does Will destroy the witch's balloon?
6. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
7. What role does the witch play in Chapter 43?
8. What happens at the end of the chapter?
9. How does Mr. Halloway kill Mr. Dark?
10. What does Will tell his dad on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1983 SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES was made into a film starring Jason Robards. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 25 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between Jim and Will.
1) What are the main differences between Will and Jim? Why do they stay friends when they are so many differences between them?
2) How do you think both Will and Jim will grow up? Why or why not would their friendship continue into adulthood?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)