|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who jumps on the merry-go-round?
2. What does Mr. Dark give Will and Jim?
3. Where does Will's father go just before Will falls asleep?
4. What does Will think really worries his father?
5. What does Jim favor over talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jim and Will react differently to the carnival poster?
2. What does Miss Foley say she saw in the Mirror Maze?
3. What does the customer talk to Mr. Halloway about when he enters the bar?
4. What shocking things do Will and Jim see when they go back to the carnival with the police?
5. How does Robert react to seeing Will and Jim outside his window?
6. What does the lightning rod salesman think about the woman he sees in the shop window?
7. What is strange about the carousel?
8. How does Jim upset Will at the end of Chapter 21?
9. What strange things happen as Jim and Will walk through town?
10. What does the lightning rod look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between Jim and Will.
1) What are the main differences between Will and Jim? Why do they stay friends when they are so many differences between them?
2) How do you think both Will and Jim will grow up? Why or why not would their friendship continue into adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bradbury's representation of carnival people and their lives.
1) How are carnival people's lives and beliefs different from average people's beliefs?
2) Why does Bradbury represent carnival people as evil?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)