|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is arriving in town that night?
2. What is Mr. Dark's arm covered in?
3. Why does Will decide to stay at the carnival?
4. What remains where the lady in ice once was?
5. What state is Green Town in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim decide to do at the end of Chapter 9?
2. What does the prologue say about months of a year from a boy's point of view?
3. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window on the way back from work?
4. What is strange about the carousel?
5. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window?
6. How do Jim and Will react differently to the carnival poster?
7. Why do the boys think it is strange that the lightning rod salesman has left his bag?
8. How does the salesman find out whose house the storm will hit?
9. What do Will and Jim think about the boy they see run into Miss Foley's house?
10. Why does Jim want to go back to the carousel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Bradbury express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bradbury's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Bradbury's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine how the carnival tries to take advantage of his/her fears?
1) Jim Nightshade
2) Charles Halloway
3) Miss Foley
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)