|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of books does Mr. Halloway recommend to the two children?
2. What do Jim and Will usually use to communicate to each other during the night?
3. What kind of novels do Will and Jim choose?
4. Where does Will's father go just before Will falls asleep?
5. What does Jim decide to take off the roof of his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scares Jim and Will about the train?
2. What does the lightning rod salesman think about the woman he sees in the shop window?
3. What wakes up Jim and Will during the night?
4. What shocking things do Will and Jim see when they go back to the carnival with the police?
5. What does Mr. Halloway think is the difference between Jim and Will?
6. How does Jim react when he enters the Mirror Maze?
7. What does Mr. Halloway see when he steps out of the bar?
8. What are Jim and Will's feelings about the Mirror Maze?
9. How do Jim and Will react differently to the carnival poster?
10. What strange things happen as Jim and Will walk through town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine good and evil in the novel.
1) In what way does Jim represent neither good nor bad in the novel? How does this result in a power struggle between the carnival and Jim's friend, Will?
2) What does say about Bradbury's ideas that God and religion does not seem to hurt Mr. Dark?
3) What is Bradbury's definition of evil?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)