|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jim and Will watch the merry-go-round from?
2. What does Tom Fury help people do?
3. What is James' surname?
4. What does Mr. Halloway see a sculpture of in the window?
5. Why are Will and Jim surprised by the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Dark find the boys hiding place?
2. How do Will and Jim react when the salesman tells them the storm will hit Jim's house?
3. What happens when Mr. Halloway shoots the witch?
4. What is Mr Dark's new act?
5. What does Mr. Halloway say about white hat and black hat books?
6. What does Mr. Halloway see when he steps out of the bar?
7. How does Mr. Halloway get the crowd on his side?
8. What happens at the end of the chapter?
9. How does Jim upset Will at the end of Chapter 21?
10. What strange things happen as Jim and Will walk through town?
Essay Topic 1
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the carnival play on people's fears and desires? Why does Bradbury suggest that fulfilling your deepest desires can be dangerous? Do you think the characters could fulfill their desires in other ways? How do you think the characters could face up to their fears?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Bradbury use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)