|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim tell his mother he never wants?
2. Who does the dwarf look like?
3. What do Jim and Will see flying above the train?
4. What happens when Mr. Dark turns on the electric chair?
5. When does Will think the storm will arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Halloway react when Will notices him looking at the carnival poster?
2. What does the customer talk to Mr. Halloway about when he enters the bar?
3. What disappoints the boys about the carnival the next day?
4. How do Jim and Will react differently to meeting Robert?
5. What does Miss Foley say she saw in the Mirror Maze?
6. How do Jim and Will react differently to watching the Theater?
7. How do Jim and Will react differently to the carnival poster?
8. Why does Jim want to go back to the carousel?
9. What is strange about the carousel?
10. What does Mr. Halloway say about white hat and black hat books?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)