|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Jim and Will hear talking?
2. What is the tattooed man called?
3. What does Mr. Fury do when the shop door opens by itself?
4. What wakes Jim and Will up?
5. What does the sign advertise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lightning rod look like?
2. How does Mr. Halloway react when Will notices him looking at the carnival poster?
3. What are Jim and Will's feelings about the Mirror Maze?
4. How do Jim and Will react differently when Robert invites them to come to the carnival with him?
5. What is strange about the carnival and its people?
6. What is strange about the carousel?
7. What shocking things do Will and Jim see when they go back to the carnival with the police?
8. Why do the boys think it is strange that the lightning rod salesman has left his bag?
9. What does the prologue say about months of a year from a boy's point of view?
10. What scares Jim and Will about the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bradbury's characters often have names that describe their character. Choose one of the following names in the novel and talk about what the name says about that person or setting:
1) Jim Nightshade.
2) Green town
3) Jim Fury
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
In 1983 SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES was made into a film starring Jason Robards. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 25 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)