|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is arriving in town that night?
2. Who gets off the train first?
3. What is the tattooed man called?
4. What kind of business does Mr. Crosetti run?
5. Who does Jim's mother say Jim looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window on the way back from work?
2. How does Jim react when he enters the Mirror Maze?
3. What disappoints the boys about the carnival the next day?
4. What is Mr Dark's new act?
5. How do Will and Jim react when the salesman tells them the storm will hit Jim's house?
6. What wakes up Jim and Will during the night?
7. How do Jim and Will react differently to meeting Robert?
8. What happens when Cooger rides on the carousel?
9. What does the customer talk to Mr. Halloway about when he enters the bar?
10. How do Will and Jim turn Mr. Cooger into a 130-year-old man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Bradbury express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bradbury use symbolism in the novel? Why does think Bradbury uses so much symbolism? Could Bradbury be accused of overusing symbolism?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)