|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the piece of paper advertise?
2. What happens to the merry-go-round when Will flicks the switch?
3. Why does Will's father say he feels sad?
4. What does the boy throw over Jim and Will?
5. What is William's surname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange things happen as Jim and Will walk through town?
2. How does Jim react when he enters the Mirror Maze?
3. What shocking things do Will and Jim see when they go back to the carnival with the police?
4. What does the reader learn about Jim in Chapter 9?
5. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window on the way back from work?
6. What does Mr. Halloway say about white hat and black hat books?
7. How do Will and Jim react when the salesman tells them the storm will hit Jim's house?
8. What does the lightning rod look like?
9. What does Miss Foley say she saw in the Mirror Maze?
10. Why does Jim want to go back to the carousel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine good and evil in the novel.
1) In what way does Jim represent neither good nor bad in the novel? How does this result in a power struggle between the carnival and Jim's friend, Will?
2) What does say about Bradbury's ideas that God and religion does not seem to hurt Mr. Dark?
3) What is Bradbury's definition of evil?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme:
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Bradbury use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)