|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the merry-go-round when Will flicks the switch?
2. What does the sign say on the merry-go-round?
3. What is on Hickory Street?
4. Where does Will's father go just before Will falls asleep?
5. What does Mr. Halloway say men despair at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scares Jim and Will about the train?
2. What does Miss Foley think about the mirrors in her house?
3. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window on the way back from work?
4. How do Will and Jim react when the salesman tells them the storm will hit Jim's house?
5. What story do Will and Jim tell the lightning rod salesman?
6. How does Jim react when he enters the Mirror Maze?
7. What does Jim decide to do at the end of Chapter 9?
8. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window?
9. What do Will and Jim think about the boy they see run into Miss Foley's house?
10. How does Jim upset Will at the end of Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is part of the horror genre.
1) What are the conventions of the horror genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way does SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bradbury's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s? How does Bradbury express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)