Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim think he hears on the library steps?
2. What happens when Mr. Dark turns on the electric chair?
3. What disappointing thing happens to children in September?
4. Who does Will think will kill him and Jim?
5. What do Will and Jim trip over as they leave the carnival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the salesman find out whose house the storm will hit?
2. How does Mr. Halloway kill Mr. Dark?
3. What is Mr Dark's new act?
4. What do Will and Jim think about the boy they see run into Miss Foley's house?
5. What does Will tell his dad on the phone?
6. What does Mr. Halloway see when he steps out of the bar?
7. What information about the carnival does Mr. Halloway show Jim and Will?
8. What does Mr. Halloway see in the shop window?
9. What does the prologue say about months of a year from a boy's point of view?
10. What happens when Cooger rides on the carousel?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think people's memories of their past are accurate? Why do you think Bradbury represents past memories as potentially dangerous? Why do so many characters in the book find it so difficult to move away from their past?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bradbury's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)