|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Will go when Jim gives him his books?
2. What does the boy invite Will and Jim to stay for?
3. When does Will think the storm will arrive?
4. What does Jim decide to take off the roof of his house?
5. What great thing happens to children in June?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jim and Will react differently when Robert invites them to come to the carnival with him?
2. What is Mr Dark's new act?
3. Why does Jim want to go back to the carousel?
4. What scares Jim and Will about the train?
5. What does the lightning rod look like?
6. What strange things happen as Jim and Will walk through town?
7. Why do the boys think it is strange that the lightning rod salesman has left his bag?
8. What do Will and Jim think about the boy they see run into Miss Foley's house?
9. What are Jim and Will's feelings about the Mirror Maze?
10. What does Jim decide to do at the end of Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine how the carnival tries to take advantage of his/her fears?
1) Jim Nightshade
2) Charles Halloway
3) Miss Foley
Essay Topic 2
Examine good and evil in the novel.
1) In what way does Jim represent neither good nor bad in the novel? How does this result in a power struggle between the carnival and Jim's friend, Will?
2) What does say about Bradbury's ideas that God and religion does not seem to hurt Mr. Dark?
3) What is Bradbury's definition of evil?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Bradbury use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Bradbury uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)