|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Nina?
2. Who does Joe run into in the newsroom?
3. What did he do there?
4. What does Dewey tell him on his way out?
5. What does he pull over to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joe go to the beach in Santa Monica before going to visit the cemetery where his wife and daughters are?
2. Why does Joe experience these things despite not having been on the flight itself?
3. What does Joe learn about Teknologik?
4. What does Joe decide to do?
5. What does Joe remember as he reviews the strange events at the cemetery; what action does he take and what conclusions does he draw?
6. What attitude seems consistent with the NTSB investigators that he manages to contact, including Barbara?
7. Who is at the Delmann house, and what surprises does she reveal?
8. What did Dewey give Joe on his way in, and how is it relevant?
9. What does Joe uncover about the white Ford van that was at the cemetery?
10. What things draw his attention on the streets of the San Fernando Valley and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the company Teknologik? What is their purpose? Why are they described as a company that cannot fail? What kind of corporate structure does Teknologik have? How is the government involved in their operations if at all? What kinds of complications can arise from this kind of arrangement? Is the financial input available in this arrangement something that skews the results that may come from the company or its researchers.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Barbara Christman so brutally honest with Joe as she describes the condition of the plane and the remains left behind? What is she hoping to communicate to him? Why does she feel that it is necessary to be so harsh? Is Joe in danger of losing himself to false hope when he finds the three seats that are still intact? What does he believe this proves?
Essay Topic 3
How are rage and grief linked? What associates these two emotions and why? Joe is barely in control of himself. How does this manifest itself? What indicators are there that point to a secondary causative as opposed to a simple response to the stimuli at hand? What steps does Joe take to attempt to bring this under control? Are these steps effective? Why or why not? Explain what Joe could be doing to help him through this time more effectively.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)