|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lakshmi's friend who has gone to work as a maid in the city to support her family?
2. Into what country does Lakshmi cross with Uncle Husband in the narrative?
3. What does the name "Muthi" mean, according to the narrator in "Confession"?
4. What kind of roof does Lakshmi's family have on their hut in the beginning of the novel?
5. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's skin as in "Something Beautiful"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lakshmi describe her first experiences of her journey to be "inauspicious" in "An Inauspicious Start"?
2. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
3. What are the names that Lakshmi has given to her cucumbers in "Confession"?
4. How are the themes of corruption and gender inequality illustrated in Section 2 of the narrative?
5. How does Lakshmi come to Happiness House? What is the reality of Lakshmi's situation when she arrives?
6. What is described in the vignette titled "Another Calendar"?
7. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
8. What possessions does Lakshmi describe in "What I Carry"?
9. What is symbolized and foreshadowed by the woman who has been publicly shamed when Lakshmi gets off the train in India?
10. What takes place in "A Trade"? What is the amount of money that is settled upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lakshmi’s relationship with her mother, Ama, in the narrative. What does Ama teach Lakshmi about a woman’s roles and duties? How does Ama perceive the plight and suffering of women within her culture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Bajai Sita and Auntie Bimla in the narrative. What is Bajai Sita’s position in Lakshmi’s village? Why does Auntie Bimla agree to take Lakshmi with her? What are the underlying motivations (objectives) of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Nepal in Sold. Where in Nepal does the protagonist live? What is the population of Nepal? What countries border it? How would you describe the geography of the region? What is the climate like?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)