|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person from Lakshmi's village that she sees as she leaves with Auntie in "A Trade"?
2. Who is the boy that Lakshmi says she is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
3. How old is Lakshmi in the beginning of the novel?
4. For how long have Auntie and Lakshmi been walking in the beginning of "Questions and Answers"?
5. What does Lakshmi do in order to escape the old man who attempts to rape her after she's first arrived at Happiness House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is described in "The New Student"? What is Lakshmi's relationship with this character?
2. Describe the impact of Lakshmi's journey with Auntie on her perception of her surroundings and home. Why do you think Lakshmi is taken on this journey in the manner she is taken?
3. Why does Lakshmi describe her first experiences of her journey to be "inauspicious" in "An Inauspicious Start"?
4. Who is Lakshmi promised to marry when she comes of age? Why does she not marry this character?
5. What does a tin roof symbolize for Lakshmi in the novel?
6. What custom does Lakshmi partake in when she begins menstruation in "First Blood"?
7. How are the themes of corruption and gender inequality illustrated in Section 2 of the narrative?
8. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
9. What is ironic about the setting of Happiness House?
10. What takes place in "A Trade"? What is the amount of money that is settled upon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of sexism, disgrace, and humiliation in Sold. What are Lakshmi’s impressions when she observes the woman whose head has been publicly shamed upon arriving in India? How much do you think culture and religion play a role in gender equality in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Lakshmi’s stepfather in the narrative. Why does Lakshmi’s stepfather not work in the factories like the other men his age? How long has Ama been married to Lakshmi’s stepfather? Why is Lakshmi’s stepfather a hindrance to the family financially?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Lakshmi as the protagonist of Sold. How old is Lakshmi when the reader meets her? How would you describe her personality? What does Lakshmi look like? How do you relate to this character? How does Lakshmi evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)