|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's hair as in "Something Beautiful"?
2. What does Lakshmi's stepfather carry as he walks with her to Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
3. Which of Lakshmi's cucumbers is shaped like a snake, according to the narrator in "Confession"?
4. Who is the last person from Lakshmi's village that she sees as she leaves with Auntie in "A Trade"?
5. Until what age does Lakshmi's mother tell her to feed a son at her breast if she should have one in "Everything I Need to Know"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the names that Lakshmi has given to her cucumbers in "Confession"?
2. How is irony employed as a significant literary device in Sections 1 and 2 of the novel?
3. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
4. How is Lakshmi's family described in "A Tin Roof"? With whom does Lakshmi live?
5. How does Lakshmi come to Happiness House? What is the reality of Lakshmi's situation when she arrives?
6. How is the economy of Lakshmi's village described in "Calendar"?
7. What are sons and daughters compared to in "The Difference between a Son and a Daughter"?
8. How are the themes of corruption and gender inequality illustrated in Section 2 of the narrative?
9. How does Lakshmi describe her village's religious beliefs in "Something Beautiful"?
10. What is described in the vignette titled "Another Calendar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of India and the cultural standards for men and women in the country. What rights do women have in India? How do the rights of men and women differ in India? How do culture and custom dictate women’s roles across India?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss gender roles and expectations in Nepal. How do arranged marriages influence the way that men and women are perceived differently in this region? How do the gender roles of Nepal differ from those within your own society? What has shaped the perceptions of gender in Nepal?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the realities of the child sex slave trade in India and worldwide. How many children are estimated to be involved in India’s sex trade? How many of these children are involved against their will? What is the draw for customers in India (and other nations) to have sexual relations with children, particularly virgins?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)