|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are "the carts with chicken and sheep in the back" called, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
2. Who is Lakshmi's friend who has gone to work as a maid in the city to support her family?
3. What word from "A Trade" means favorable or conducive to success?
4. What does Lakshmi's mother do as she serves her husband dinner each night in "Something Beautiful"?
5. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's hair as in "Something Beautiful"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is irony employed as a significant literary device in Sections 1 and 2 of the novel?
2. What takes place in "A Trade"? What is the amount of money that is settled upon?
3. How do Lakshmi's impressions of Auntie change in "Questions and Answers"?
4. Why does Lakshmi describe her first experiences of her journey to be "inauspicious" in "An Inauspicious Start"?
5. How does Lakshmi describe her journey in "A New World"?
6. Who is Lakshmi promised to marry when she comes of age? Why does she not marry this character?
7. Who is Gita? What is Lakshmi's relationship with Gita in the narrative?
8. Who is described in "The New Student"? What is Lakshmi's relationship with this character?
9. How is Lakshmi punished when she bites the old man in "The Old Man"?
10. What possessions does Lakshmi describe in "What I Carry"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Shahanna in Sold. How is Shahanna’s appearance described? About how old do you think Shahanna is? How does Shahanna differ from the other characters in her treatment of Lakshmi? Why do you think Shahanna shows kindness to Lakshmi? What are examples of kind acts performed by Shahanna?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the characters of Monica, Anita, and Pushpa in the novel. What relationships does Lakshmi form with each of these characters? What happens to each of these characters in the story? What has brought each of these girls to Happiness House?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of India and the cultural standards for men and women in the country. What rights do women have in India? How do the rights of men and women differ in India? How do culture and custom dictate women’s roles across India?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)